Menu

s/o Do you mind how your name is pronounced?

Laura Corin

People often say that they get upset if people say their name wrong.  Mine gets pronounced law-ruh, lorr-uh, lar-uh and low-ruh (to rhyme with 'now').  I just think of the variations as 'that person's way of saying my name'.  It doesn't worry me - it's all the same name.

Does it bother you?

Now if someone thinks my name is something else (rather than just pronouncing it differently) then I do correct it.  So I don't accept Lorna or Lauren, for example.

FWIW, I say it Law-ruh.

L

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a co-worker whose wife's name was Laurie. He pronounced it law-ree. But I made the "mistake" of pronouncing it lore-ree; he corrected me. He said that pronunciation was spelled L-O-R-I but his wife was L-A-U-R-I-E which is law-ree. This is as close as I've seen to anyone getting in a snit over mispronouncing a name.

My first name has never been mispronounced.

Does not bother me at all.  My last name is frequently mispronounced.  I only correct people with whom I am going to be in frequent contact with.  Otherwise, I just let them pronounce it however they see fit.  If they get it right the first time, I tend to make a big deal of it because it's so rare that people do.

The "Anne" at the end of my name is pronounced that way, not "en". My grandmother's name was Anne, hence the slightly different spelling of my name. However, I am not very fussy.

I will correct gross mispronunciations. When I was in elementary school I had a teacher who attempted to insist on calling me "Andrea". When I pointed out to her there was no "n" at the beginning of my name and everyone else could pronounce my name properly she stopped. Maybe she was one of those individuals who was not taught phonics.

One of my dd's is named Lauren.  I pronounce it "Law- run".  Many other people, including dh,  pronounce it "Lor-ren".  I think that sounds like a male name.  If I wanted to name her that, I would have spelled it "Loren".  No, I'm not bitter...

Actually, I'm just used to it.

And it's better than the lady I have known for years adding a syllable to my name to make it into another name.  :/  And no, I don't correct her.  If she doesn't get it by now, she is not going to.

I had a co-worker whose wife's name was Laurie. He pronounced it law-ree. But I made the "mistake" of pronouncing it lore-ree; he corrected me. He said that pronunciation was spelled L-O-R-I but his wife was L-A-U-R-I-E which is law-ree. This is as close as I've seen to anyone getting in a snit over mispronouncing a name.

My first name has never been mispronounced.

My name is Laurie and I pronounce it lore-ree.  I don't think I've ever really noticed someone saying law-ree.  It sounds similar to the Massachusetts pronunciation which sounds similar to Larry.  I've been called Laura, Lauren and I don't really mind.  I do think it's odd when people I've just met call me Laur.  It usually seems too familiar for the situation.  I wouldn't call Mary Mar or Sally Sal on the first meeting.

I don't care how people pronounce my name. The only people who ever mispronounce it seem to be native Spanish speakers, and I rather like their version, actually.

DD's name is often mispronounced.  I take full responsibility for that, and we walked into it knowing full well that it would be mispronounced often.  It doesn't bother me. It is a Spanish name, and the only ones to consistently get it right are the native Spanish speakers in our lives.  :)

My name is never mispronounced, but it is misspelled more often than it is spelled correctly, even though my spelling is the traditional way for name to be spelled if it belongs to a girl.  I do not care one whit and often tell people so.  The Starbucks crew, among others, seem dumbfounded when I say, "Spell it any way you want."  Seriously, people--why would I care what you scribble on my Starbucks cup?  Unless it is an official document, you may spell it out with all emojis.  I had a client for over ten years who never spelled my name correctly despite seeing it probably close to daily.  I still come across correspondence from him occasionally, and it still makes me laugh.

My last name gets butchered by anglophones, as the sounds just don't exist in the English language. I don't correct people, unless they ask if they got it right. I don't really care. The variations that most people say are not unpleasant in any way, so we just don't make a fuss and let it slide.

I imagine it would become rather tedious if I had to teach the pronunciation to everyone out there. Even when they hear me say it, many can't seem to repeat what they hear.

My name is really not Julie Smith. 

As for my real name, it gets mispronounced and misspeeled often. I only care if it is someone I'll be seeing often.

If it is someone I'll only be seeing the once I don't bother correcting. I sometimes even give people the wrong spelling so that they will say it correctly when they read it later. (As in the person taking my order at a restaurant and they say, "We'll call you when it's ready - what's your name")

most variations don't bother me. (i.e. Kirsten, kristine, plus mutiple spellings.)  but I've had a few who put an "ee" on the end of my name (kristy, krissie) and it is like fingernails on a chalkboard and I almost want to scream.  

I've no sympathy for my brother.   he named his daughter diana.   HOWEVER, he wants a spanish pronounciation. hello?  you live in the US where everyone speaks english, and that is how it will get pronounced.  he gets angry if it is prouncouned wrong.

my daughter's name gets some consonants transposed (because people don't look very carefully), and the name is entirely different. (it sounds like something you'd name a cow)  we just roll our eyes, and correct them.  (unless it's a telemarketer - in which case there is no one here by that name.)

It depends on the person saying it. I can accept that different accents will influence things. But it seriously bothers me when people in this region call me Kerry.

My last name is often pronounced wrong and I expect that. I don't like it when it continues to get pronounced wrong after I've politely corrected people. And that happens all. the. time.

My name is Laurie and I pronounce it lore-ree.  I don't think I've ever really noticed someone saying law-ree.  It sounds similar to the Massachusetts pronunciation which sounds similar to Larry. 

No, here in MA Larry and Lori/Laurie sound totally different.  But Laurie and Lori are identical. 

Larry = LA-ree  (but the "a" is not like 'ah' as we'd say in "la" or 'father', nor like the 'ar' in 'car', it's like the 'a' in cat or mat or lap - not sure how to write that out).

Lorie/Laurie = LOR-ee

There's just no LAW-ree.  That sounds wrong - I hear you guys that it's pronounced that way where you are, but no one's heard of that pronunciation here (unless they read this board or you move in from out of state and have a snit when we pronounce your name wrong ;) )

My first name is pretty impossible to mispronounce, though it's been spelled about 50 different ways, LOL.  My last name is usually mispronounced (and misspelled), and I don't care, as long as I know whom they're talking about.

My youngest hates when her name gets mispronounced.  Funny how different people are sensitive to different things.

One of my dd's is named Lauren.  I pronounce it "Law- run".  Many other people, including dh,  pronounce it "Lor-ren".  I think that sounds like a male name.  If I wanted to name her that, I would have spelled it "Loren".  No, I'm not bitter...

lauren and loren do not sound the same to me.   my grandfather's brother was a loren.  it's one syllable, not two as the feminine version is.

FTR, I don't hear a real difference between Law-ruh and Lorr-uh, though with some American accents it would be very different. 

It's pretty hard to mis-pronounce Kathy. :lol:  When calling me by my full name, some people say Kath-a-leen instead of Kathleen. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I wonder if putting the TH and L sounds together is difficult for people with certain accents. Usually people with strong southern accents are the ones who pronounce it that way. I only correct people if they have to write it for whatever reason, and they try to put that extra A in there.

I don't care how mine is pronounced or spelled unless the spelling counts for something official.

Even at school  I often tell kids they can call me almost anything and I won't get upset as long as they don't use "idiot, moron, or anything equivalent."

I can't imagine getting upset.

lauren and loren do not sound the same to me.   my grandfather's brother was a loren.  it's one syllable, not two as the feminine version is.

Loren has two syllables to me and I would pronounce it the same as Lauren, but there's a male Scottish name, Lorne, that has one.

L

I don't even remember my name ever being mispronounced (except when I lived in Australia, but that was to be expected). Sometimes people will call DD the wrong name even after they've been corrected; that does bother me because it indicates that the person really doesn't care whether they call her the right name or not.

There was a lady when I was growing up who would call me Beth.  THAT I did not like.  Liz, Lizzy, Lizzard, all sorts of other things I can deal with.  Nobody mispronounces my name particularly and it's not prone to being affected by Southern accents and whatnot.  However the shortenings, oh my. 

PS.  My grandpa died saying my dh's name with the wrong initial consonant blend.  :)

There was a lady when I was growing up who would call me Beth.  THAT I did not like.  Liz, Lizzy, Lizzard, all sorts of other things I can deal with.  Nobody mispronounces my name particularly and it's not prone to being affected by Southern accents and whatnot.  However the shortenings, oh my. 

Yes. Assumed nicknames are a different story and they do bother me. I have always been either Kathleen or Kathy. When I was growing up there were a few adults who would call me Kate, Katie, or Kay. I was never called by any of those nicknames and it bugged me when someone assumed that I was.

Mine doesn't really get mispronounced, although people seem to have a hard time with my fairly common last name. The only time I remember getting upset was in elementary school. Some girls insisted my real name was Pauline, not Paula. Um, no. I don't even like my name that much, but I did get sick of the period when my name must have been incorrectly input on a mailing list. I got mail for Paul A. (last name) for some time. 

I'm another one who doesn't hear any difference between law-run and lore-ren or law-ree and lore-ree. It has to be a regional thing. I'm always lost in these conversations :lol:

DH and I have been discussing this since I was involved in a conversation at co-op where two of the members, who are immigrants from another country, were trying to teach us how to correctly say one person's name. I swear we were all saying the exact same thing, but they kept telling us we were wrong, and that people get so upset when their names are mispronounced. And in the meantime, I'm thinking, "But you pronounce every vowel in my name wrong because of your accent, and it would never cross my mind to try to correct you!" Needless to say, it doesn't faze me when people mispronounce my name because of accents or regional variations. My name is almost impossible to truly mispronounce anyway. I will correct someone if they call me the wrong name, though, and bizarrely, that is fairly common, even though my name is not at all unusual!

These conversation always reminds me of the Nuni SNL sketches :lol:

http://vimeo.com/27823742

I'm very careful about pronouncing other people's names, at least, I try to be. I find it interesting and I think it's a matter of respect. 

However, I'm not at all weird about people mispronouncing my name. Which they usually do. 

Tam-ah-rah (it's easier to explain as Tam-uh-ruh)

Most people say Tuh-mah-rah. As in "the sun will come out...Tuh-mah-rah." 

I've even had Tuh-mah-da (there was a Russian girl at the college before I attended there). 

I just find it funny at this point. 

Now condensing someone's name or giving them a nickname without permission. That I find annoying. 

I'm very careful about pronouncing other people's names, at least, I try to be. I find it interesting and I think it's a matter of respect.

However, I'm not at all weird about people mispronouncing my name. Which they usually do.

I've even had Tuh-mah-da (there was a Russian girl at the college before I attended there).

Now condensing someone's name or giving them a nickname without permission. That I find annoying.

Ok, the linguist in me wants to know whether the stress is on the first or second syllable :D

I correct people. I'm Laura, which I pronounce LAR-uh. I'm not LOR-uh, which is the more common pronunciation. LOR-uh just isn't my name, so when someone says it I don't even recognize that s/he is talking to me unless we are the only two people there.

I had to teach my husband and his family (from New York) how to say my name. Laura is always LOR-uh where they are from. They never met any LAR-uhs, even spelled Lara. They pronounce Lara as LAIR-uh or with a short a like in cat.

I really appreciate when people ask me how I say my name. I always ask when I encounter a Laura or Laurie or Lauren, etc.

I correct people. I'm Laura, which I pronounce LAR-uh. I'm not LOR-uh, which is the more common pronunciation. LOR-uh just isn't my name, so when someone says it I don't even recognize that s/he is talking to me unless we are the only two people there.

I had to teach my husband and his family (from New York) how to say my name. Laura is always LOR-uh where they are from. They never met any LAR-uhs, even spelled Lara. They pronounce Lara as LAIR-uh or with a short a like in cat.

I really appreciate when people ask me how I say my name. I always ask when I encounter a Laura or Laurie or Lauren, etc.

See, and I've known several Lah-rahs (spelled Lara), so I would always want to call you Law-ra. The first Tamara I ever met was a ta-MAH-ra, so I would probably default to that too! I had a hard time with the name of a new colleague who was a Kara (CAR-a) because I'd only ever known KAH-ras. Even after years of knowing her, I'd occasionally slip and mispronounce her name, and I worked closely with her every day  :confused1:

My first name is never mispronounced.  Occasionally, it's misspelled when I tell it to someone (almost always as "Aaron"), but I have one of those generational names that people tend to know.  On the bright side, I was on the leading edge of the generation.  "Erin" didn't peak in popularity until I was about 10, so people tend to think I'm younger than I truly am :D

(Btw, this made the rounds of FB a few weeks ago, but it's fun to play with--http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager )

To nick-names, I am rarely blessed with one.  I mean-- "Er?" (air)  

But my husband, Travis, is often called "Trav."  It used to really annoy him as the only nickname he ever truly had was Trapper, and by extension, Trap.   Trav grated on his nerves.  Worse, we have a neighbor that even calls him "Travie"  lol  

However, it's because of Travie that he decided not to let it bother him anymore.  People call him Trav as a term of endearment.  Strangers and people that don't like him would never call him that... And "Travie" means he's truly on the in with this neighbor as he only gives an -ie to someone after he decides you're worthy of it.   ;)

For those who do not hear the difference between Lauren and Loren, do the words "car" - a thing you drive, and "core" - the center of an apple -  sound different?

Cuz that's what I'm talking about.

I grew up with a Laura ("Law-ruh").  Her name was not Lora ("Lore - uh").

Also, pronunciation is VERY regional, IME.  When I lived in MD and encountered many New Yorkers, they pronounced my name (Carol - pronounced "Care- uhl" in the south) with a short a so wide you could drive a car through it.  :D  Think "Caaaaaa - ruhl".  I found it charming.  :)

How on earth would you pronounce Loren as one syllable?

I don't tend to get miffed over slight mispronunciations. However, we didn't realize how hard my firstborn's name would be for people. It took years (and sometimes they still slip) for any of the grandparents to be able to pronounce her name correctly. We minded. I absolutely despise her name with a long o. Totally changes it. (Should be short o.) Long O makes it sound too much like a body part... Honestly, we would have never used the name if we had known the trouble people would have with it.

I have a common name that doesn't get mispronounced.  People from different countries add a sylable, but even then , I don't care. It would be similar to someone calling Carole  Care-ee-ol.   People often think my name is Michele (which my name is not even close to) and I answer to that also.  LOL  

DD15 has a long feminine name that ends in -ana.  Some people say -ona instead.  She doesn't care, she answers to both.  There is one family in our neighborhood who have known her for 12 years, and the kids have grown up together.  They ALL call her -ona.  LOL  It is kind of funny how none of them have caught on that they are mispronouncing her name.  

For those who do not hear the difference between Lauren and Loren, do the words "car" - a thing you drive, and "core" - the center of an apple -  sound different?

It's not that I don't hear the difference between -ar and -or. I just don't think "Law-ren" is the more common pronunciation of that name—and it most certainly isn't around here. My niece's name is Laurin (LORE-in), and no one calls her "LAW-rin," including my sister, who named her.

Yes, but Laur doesn't rhyme with Car in my regional accent. Which is why I would read Lara as Lar-ah (rhyming with Car-a) and Laura (like Law-ra). The U changes the sound for me. I'm on the East coast, FWIW. I think there's a big variation in the way we'd pronounce lots of things. 

I have a daughter named Leah whose name is mispronounced even more often than mine. The most common mispronunciation is "Lay." ???? People also try "Lee." The only two standard pronunciations of her spelling that I know of are LEE-uh and LAY-uh. After trying Lay or Lee, Lay-uh is often the next choice. When I say it's LEE-uh, a lightbulb usually goes off. I never expected Leah to give people so much trouble.

Since my name has become more common (it was very uncommon when I was a child), it is mostly correctly pronounced.  It does seem like there are two very slightly different pronunciations of the first syllable of my name.  I do prefer one, but it's such a slight difference I barely notice myself, and don't really care one way or the other.  There is a boy's name (spelled completely differently) that for some reason is often pronounced like mine, but IMHO it's the boy's name being pronounced incorrectly, not mine. Just bugged me as a kid (before my name became more common) when people all thought I'd been named the boy's name (the Brits pronounce the boy's name the way I'd expect it to be pronounced, it's the Americans that seem to smoosh them together).  Although just the other night on TV there was a female character with my name (and spelled the same way as mine) that they pronounced the way the boy's name should be pronounced - I've barely ever heard the boy's name pronounced 'correctly', no less conflated with mine.  That was odd, and that I would correct.

It apparently, however, is almost impossible to pronounce correctly in an even close approximation to the English in any other language I know of - especially the "in" in the end is always "een".  In Spanish, I just let everyone pronounce it phonetically in Spanish, which results in the accent on the "wrong" syllable as well - I completely gave up.

I named all three of my dds names that would be easy to pronounce in most other languages as well as English.  I did give up on having any non-native English speaker pronounce my name correctly, but I figured there was not reason to do that to my kids...

Also, pronunciation is VERY regional, IME.  When I lived in MD and encountered many New Yorkers, they pronounced my name (Carol - pronounced "Care- uhl" in the south) with a short a so wide you could drive a car through it.  :D  Think "Caaaaaa - ruhl".  I found it charming.  :)

But...that's how you would pronounce it according to basic phonics rules, isn't it? It's not spelled Cairol.

See? I'm lost again! :lol:

I have a common name that doesn't get mispronounced.  People from different countries add a sylable, but even then , I don't care. It would be similar to someone calling Carole  Care-ee-ol.   People often think my name is Michele (which my name is not even close to) and I answer to that also.  LOL  

DD15 has a long feminine name that ends in -ana.  Some people say -ona instead.  She doesn't care, she answers to both.  There is one family in our neighborhood who have known her for 12 years, and the kids have grown up together.  They ALL call her -ona.  LOL  It is kind of funny how none of them have caught on that they are mispronouncing her name.  

Heh! I wonder if you have my name, and your daughter has my daughter's name. I get Michelle ALL the time, and people pronounce her -ana with an -anna, but we pronounce it as -ona. I only correct Michelle :D

My name is never mispronounced, but it is misspelled more often than it is spelled correctly, even though my spelling is the traditional way for name to be spelled if it belongs to a girl.  I do not care one whit and often tell people so.  The Starbucks crew, among others, seem dumbfounded when I say, "Spell it any way you want."  Seriously, people--why would I care what you scribble on my Starbucks cup?  Unless it is an official document, you may spell it out with all emojis.  I had a client for over ten years who never spelled my name correctly despite seeing it probably close to daily.  I still come across correspondence from him occasionally, and it still makes me laugh.

Years ago dh and I frequented a restaurant that often had a waiting list. And they always asked for your last name. Our real name is often mispronounced and/or misspelled. To the point that if we didn't correct them we might not recognize the name they called for us. So for restaurant purposes we became the Andersons. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, but Laur doesn't rhyme with Car in my regional accent. Which is why I would read Lara as Lar-ah (rhyming with Car-a) and Laura (like Law-ra). The U changes the sound for me. I'm on the East coast, FWIW. I think there's a big variation in the way we'd pronounce lots of things. 

Those are the pronunciations in my world too. Laur would not rhyme with car. 

Dh has a niece named Cara, and it's pronounced CAH-ruh (cah -short a sound as in cap). I've also known a Cara who is CAR-uh.

:iagree:   Lara rhymes with Car-a.  Laura rhymes with Core-a. But 'lar' =/ 'lawr' =/ 'laur' here and neither 'Lara' nor 'Laura' sound like 'law-ra'.

Au/Aw and Ah (as in father) sound the same to me (grew up in California). The only exceptions I can think of are lawyer (LOY-er) and dinosaur (DI-nuh-sore). Law is with the ah as in father.

Huh! Interesting. I definitely don't hear that here, but then again, I'm in an area where there are many micro-regions that have very different local accents. 

But...that's how you would pronounce it according to basic phonics rules, isn't it? It's not spelled Cairol.

See? I'm lost again! :lol:

Since when does English hold hard and fast to phonics rules when it comes to pronunciation?  

Incidentally, Merriam-Webster lists both ˈker-əl and ˈka-rəl as acceptable pronunciations of "carol."

Au/Aw and Ah (as in father) sound the same to me (grew up in California). The only exceptions I can think of are lawyer (LOY-er) and dinosaur (DI-nuh-sore). Law is with the ah as in father.

Aw = short 'o' here, not the 'ah' in Father.  

Do you guys say "ah, that's a cute baby" instead of "aw, that's a cute baby"??  I thought you were drawling out the awwwww even more not saying 'ahhhh' like at the dentist...

That's why Dawn/Don. It's not Dahn.  Is that what you guys say??   "aur" = 'ore' in both Dinosaur and Laura.