Menu

Chilling the champagne, we paid off the house today!

KatieJ

Congratulations KatieinMich

Awesome! People ought to still have mortgage burning parties - it is good for the culture! But my parents feel they can't tell their friends they have paid off their house as their friends are up to their ears in debt. :-(

Emily

I was just thinking about this. Would it now days be acceptable to have a party when your mortgage is paid off? 

Congratulations!  That takes lots of focus and self-discipline; you guys SHOULD celebrate! 

While I understand the PP's point that one wouldn't want to make others feel small, I think a celebration of something like this is motivational!  Dare to dream, people!  We can do this too!

Congratulations!  Wonderful feeling.

My bil bought us a bottle of champagne and we got take out Chinese and celebrated - just the two of us.  It can be rather awkward to talk about being mortgage around others who have huge mortgages looming over them, but I certainly you need to celebrate.

Have you ever heard of a Mortgage Button?   I am sure there is still stuff on the internet about it.  I first heard those words on This Old House.  I think you can buy an actual button.  But being the frugal person that I am, I just bought a large ivory button on ebay.  I read that sometimes people skipped the burning part, and made the paperwork into a tight cylinder and shoved it behind the button (other option was the ashes)  Later people have found the paperwork fascinating.  

My parents paid off their mortgage at about the same time (I think they worked hard to beat me)  I gave them a button too.  

That awesome!!  :hurray:  :party:  :cheers2:

Now, the compulsive saver in me is telling you to go to Vanguard, pick a mutual fund and put the would-be mortgage amount in there every month. 

I never thought about having a celebratory party. We should have done that! We just had a good laugh at DH's experience at the bank. We actually sold some investments, so we paid a lump sum and the mortgage co. wanted the $ wired to them. I have no idea where I was, but DH had to take all 5 kids with him to the bank, my little one had fallen asleep in the car,so she's sleeping on his shoulder and the other four are restlessly milling around and he's trying to conduct this transaction. He wanted some sympathy for his plight, but I just thought it was funny. That's my experience everywhere I go.

When we paid off our house I was so excited that I called my parents to tell them.  My parents were upset and felt I was shaming them because their home wasn't paid off yet.  Even suggested I was welcome to now make payments on their house.  All I could think was "Uhmm, sorry I even called."