Menu

Seriously considering a flu shot--I'm hearing flu is affecting healthy adults badly this yr.

HappyGrace

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never get a flu shot. My sister has to get them. Every single time she does she comes down with bronchitis. A guy I work for came in one day looking unwell. He had just come back from getting a flu shot. He ended up in bed for three days.  Another lady I work for got one and has already had the flu twice this year.

I haven't gotten them in the past. My nephew is a doctor, and has been very pro-vax in the past (though that has changed since their son was diagnosed with ASD), and he has never gotten a flu shot, nor has any of his family.

It's scary to read about the healthy adults dying. I have to wonder if there are complications we aren't aware of. I still don't think I'd get a shot. My dad got them every year, and ALWAYS got the flu. The last year of his life it was so bad (and with congestive heart failure, the fluid in his lungs was just not good at all), he basically never recovered. I think the shot definitely started the downward spiral that led to his death.

I think a bigger problem is the super viruses we get because we feel we have to have anti-bacterial everything. It's downright scary. Of course that is a whole 'nuther discussion.

Here the predominant flu is H1N1, I'm not sure if that is nationwide. When we had h1N1 in 2009 I really thought DH and DS (3 at the time) were going to have to be hospitalized. They both had vomitting and diarrhea in addition to the other flu symptoms. DH did not get off the sofa for 10 days, DS looked like death warmed over. They both got severe bronchitis and ear infections. I just had the typical flu symptoms, which are bad enough, but not like them. We got flu A last year. I decided this year if it decreased our risk by even 1%, I was getting the vaccine.

We typically get the flu shot every year. Hit or miss, of course, whether it ends up covering the predominant strains. This year, I'm particularly glad to hear that they got the right H1N1 strain, since it sounds as though it is hitting certain areas hard, and has the potential to seriously affect children and adults.

Erica in OR

I wish the articles about those that die had a bit more information. Such as how long did they wait to go to the doctor, did they take Tamiflu, were there other issues at play? Many of the articles seem to suggest they get the flu and wait it out and then they become very ill and it's too late.

We've only had the flu twice here and each time we've been to the doctor within 48 hours and started Tamiflu. We just all had this flu before Christmas and Tamiflu worked great (not so much the last time we had it). Oldest was the sickest but it was really just her fatigue that was worse. I felt a great deal better 24 hours after my first dose.

The news stories still scare me, but I wish there was more information out there besides they were healthy before becoming ill. Maybe I'm reading the wrong things though and this is information is out there.

I have gotten one every year for 10 or 15 years, and get them for my kids, too. I've never had the flu, and I'd like to keep it that way. :) (I'm also very pregnant with twins, and so I'm a more susceptible group this year and I don't want to be hospitalized for the flu.)

One of the interesting facts about the 1918 flu was that it disproportionately killed young, healthy adults, rather than the usual elderly and very young. It appears that the overwhelming immune response the body mounted was what killed the young and healthy.

It's scary to read about the healthy adults dying. I have to wonder if there are complications we aren't aware of. I still don't think I'd get a shot.

I think a bigger problem is the super viruses we get because we feel we have to have anti-bacterial everything. It's downright scary. Of course that is a whole 'nuther discussion.

I am so with you on this. It is very scary hearing about healthy adults dying from the flu, but I wonder if some of it is because they are healthy adults. I don't know many health adults that worry to much about the flu and just tough it out figuring they will get better. I think some of it may be that they don't seek medical attention because they figure it is no big deal.

I am worried about the flu this year, especially because in am in TX, but I won't be getting the shot. What I will be doing is keeping a very close eye on things. I WILL be seeking medical attention if I catch the flu and anything doesn't seem "right".

I also wonder about the false negatives I am hearing with this flu season. Is that a normal thing that happens so often during the season? I wonder if some of those that died did go to the doctor and were told it wasn't the flu but just some other virus and to wait it out.

I wish the articles about those that die had a bit more information. Such as how long did they wait to go to the doctor, did they take Tamiflu, were there other issues at play? Many of the articles seem to suggest they get the flu and wait it out and then they become very ill and it's too late.

We've only had the flu twice here and each time we've been to the doctor within 48 hours and started Tamiflu. We just all had this flu before Christmas and Tamiflu worked great (not so much the last time we had it). Oldest was the sickest but it was really just her fatigue that was worse. I felt a great deal better 24 hours after my first dose.

The news stories still scare me, but I wish there was more information out there besides they were healthy before becoming ill. Maybe I'm reading the wrong things though and this is information is out there.

One young woman who died here last weekend reportedly got prompt medical attention. She was prescribed Tamiflu and a few days later when she wasn't improving she went back to the doctor and was prescribed an antibiotic. She continued to decline, was hospitalized and died. She reportedly had no underlying health issues.

I have gotten one every year for 10 or 15 years, and get them for my kids, too. I've never had the flu, and I'd like to keep it that way. :) (I'm also very pregnant with twins, and so I'm a more susceptible group this year and I don't want to be hospitalized for the flu.)

One of the interesting facts about the 1918 flu was that it disproportionately killed young, healthy adults, rather than the usual elderly and very young. It appears that the overwhelming immune response the body mounted was what killed the young and healthy.

If I could like this post 1000 times, I would.  Are healthy people usually able to better handle the flu, absolutely, but this bit about the 1918 flu is spot on.

I used to get the flu every year. Then I started getting the vaccine because a clinic was held at my office and we were highly encouraged by management to get one (though it was not mandated). I haven't gotten the flu every year that I've gotten the shot. One year I skipped it because I was pregnant (I think it was with DS since he was born in November), and sure enough, that winter I came down with the flu.

We don't do it and I've only had one confirmed case of flu in my life, back in 1999. As far as I'm aware, my husband nor kids have ever had it. We don't go to church and generally avoid crowded areas, so I figure our chances of contracting or spreading illness are pretty slim. However, I've been trying to convince my college daughter to do it since college kids aren't known for their impeccable hygiene

I'm not opposed to the vaccine, but at this point I probably won't get it. The flu is really ramping up in our area, and I figure my risk of catching the flu from the doctor's office is greater than taking my chances without the vaccine.

The last time we had the flu was right after we all got the shot. We caught the flu before the vaccine had a chance to take effect. :/

I was required to get the flu shot (actually, it was a spray I think usually) for long time for work, and I always, always got sick right after. Only time I ever got sick, actually, save the stomach flu once. So once I could, I stopped getting it. Not sick, I don't even get colds.

I got h1n1 in 2009, wow was I sick- sickest I've ever been, sick.

I still never get a flu shot, but my kids usually do.

We didn't get them this year, but I am thinking of going because of all the reports. Healthy kids dying, too.

If I already had h1n1 (it was confirmed) do I need one? No one else got it, just me, even though only dh had the shot that year.

We all get flu shots every year. None of us has had the flu. Flu could be pretty disastrous to disabled dd (fevers bring on seizures).

Flu is prevalent here and various news stories and editorials are emphasizing that it is not too late to get vaccinated (flu season here typically peaks in Feb/Mar, though it has started early this year so we'll see). To me it's a no-brainer--get the vaccine. I do not see any negatives other than possibly cost if you don't have some kind of insurance coverage that pays for it.

This is a very informative article addressing many of the myths, misconceptions, and questions surrounding the flu vaccine, complete with links to peer-reviewed research reports: http://www.redwineandapplesauce.com/2013/10/28/setting-the-record-straight-dubunking-all-the-flu-vaccine-myths/

It starts with whether or not the flu vaccine makes you sick (it can't), moves on to mercury in the vaccines (hint: ine tiny letter in a ling chemical name can make all the difference), addresses how well the vaccines work, side effects, Guillain Barre syndrome (extremely rare, less risk than dying from the flu itself), the works.

I have personally gotten flu vaxed only once in the last ten years. The kids received their 2-shot course in the year they were born but never again. No major calamities at all in this decade. And then for some strange reason on a beautiful 72 degree day this past Sept, I developed an ill-fated feeling about flu epidemic this year and took all the kids and me to get vaxed b/c my unsettling feeling told me it had to be done THAT DAY, which it was. It's so weird because I'm not a premonitiony kind of person and the kids were wondering why are we sitting in a clinic when it's gorgeous out and we're not even sick. DH finally got his done on 12/30 after his mama developed flu. We were supposed to visit at Christmas but she warned us she had flu and it was bad.

Of the 21 people who've died of flu where she lives only 2 were flu vaxed. Only 1 was over age 65. While the flu vax doesn't make you bulletproof, I will take such odds any day. Sometimes the cytokine storm resulting from one's "strong" immune system, typical of the young and healthy, is one's great undoing.

Oh, I know science is firmly against my "the flu shot made me sick" mantra. But I can't help it, I had exactly one childhood illness, the stomach flu, until I got the job with the flu shot. Then like clockwork every year for 8 years I got sick (like a cold, achy, like mild flu) 2-3 days later. Stopped the job and shot, stopped the sick. Perhaps it is because I am never sick that it affected me so much to feel run down and sick, but it bothered me. And it was real, darn it, science be darned!

Then I got the flu, was the sickest I've ever been and hopefully will ever be. but just that once, and in the 5 intervening years, no shot and no sick.

I don't want to convince anyone not to get the shot- I'm thinking we will go get them tomorrow- but I tire of facts getting in the way of my anecdotal data, lol. I know vaccines can't make you sick. I know the flu shot (nasal spray I think not so) is dead virus and it's impossible. I KNOW! But it really did happen just like that.

Oh, I know science is firmly against my "the flu shot made me sick" mantra. But I can't help it, I had exactly one childhood illness, the stomach flu, until I got the job with the flu shot. Then like clockwork every year for 8 years I got sick (like a cold, achy, like mild flu) 2-3 days later. Stopped the job and shot, stopped the sick. Perhaps it is because I am never sick that it affected me so much to feel run down and sick, but it bothered me. And it was real, darn it, science be darned!

Since your job required it, were you exposed to a lot of sick people? Could it be that you received it just before flu season and were exposed to a bunch of people with other respiratory illnesses and/or a different strand of flu?

Well, I think I had the flu a month ago.  Not confirmed, but descriptions of H1N1 symptoms sound exactly like what I had.

I used colloidal silver, high doses of vitamin C, elderberry syrup, olive oil extract, vit D and probiotics.  I drank enormous amounts of fresh OJ and vit C-rich herbal tea (anything with hibiscus in it).  I slept for 3 days, and I *never* do that.  No idea what my kids were doing then....

The cough lasted for 3 weeks and it hurt.  It didn't go deep in my lungs--seemed more in my throat--but it did last a really long time.  I didn't take anything to bring down the fever, with the thought that I needed the high fever to kill the bug.  I'd forgotten how bad a 103 fever feels in adulthood.  Aches and pains such that I couldn't lie still and a headache like an ax in my skull.

I'm fine now and wouldn't get a flu shot to prevent what I had.  But I will say that when I wasn't super hydrating and taking all those supplements, I pretty quickly started to feel sicker and sicker.  I'm a very healthy adult, but really needed every bit of sleep, fluid, and immune support I could muster to fight it off.  It took weeks for my energy to return to normal.  Amazingly, although everyone in my house got it, no one was as sick as I was.  I have no idea why I had it so severely, and my peeps had what amounted to a bad cold.  Usually it's the reverse--someone else comes down with something and I'm fine.   

Amy  

This is a very informative article addressing many of the myths, misconceptions, and questions surrounding the flu vaccine, complete with links to peer-reviewed research reports: http://www.redwineandapplesauce.com/2013/10/28/setting-the-record-straight-dubunking-all-the-flu-vaccine-myths/

It starts with whether or not the flu vaccine makes you sick (it can't), moves on to mercury in the vaccines (hint: ine tiny letter in a ling chemical name can make all the difference), addresses how well the vaccines work, side effects, Guillain Barre syndrome (extremely rare, less risk than dying from the flu itself), the works.

You know there are actually risks to everything, including this vaccine, right? I don't care one way or another if people get vaccinated for it.  Doesn't concern me at all.  But at least don't paint it as perfectly rosy for everyone and act like people who don't get it are idiots. 

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/committee/topics/influenza/pandemic/h1n1_safety_assessing/narcolepsy_statement/en/

It's important to read the inserts no matter what you pick (in fact, flumist might even be a better choice for someone-something reading the insert will help you decide). Page 7 on has good info on side effects from the manufacturer yourself.  Your doctor or pharmacist can provide the specific insert to the type you choose, to be more accurate.  This is just one example. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm182242.pdf

Not as effective as they tell you, as well, so take extra precautions no matter if you get the vaccine or not.  Don't assume the shot will mean you don't have to use common sense disease precautions (avoiding crowded areas, washing hands, etc.). http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099%2811%2970295-X/abstract

It's also important you get the right vaccine for the outbreak strains in your area, or that are of most concern. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)67339-4/abstract

A useful app from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluviewinteractive.htm

You know there are actually risks to everything, including this vaccine, right? I don't care one way or another if people get vaccinated for it. Doesn't concern me at all. But at least don't paint it as perfectly rosy for everyone and act like people who don't get it are idiots.

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/committee/topics/influenza/pandemic/h1n1_safety_assessing/narcolepsy_statement/en/

It's important to read the inserts no matter what you pick (in fact, flumist might even be a better choice for someone-something reading the insert will help you decide). Page 7 on has good info on side effects from the manufacturer yourself. Your doctor or pharmacist can provide the specific insert to the type you choose, to be more accurate. This is just one example. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm182242.pdf

Not as effective as they tell you, as well, so take extra precautions no matter if you get the vaccine or not. Don't assume the shot will mean you don't have to use common sense disease precautions (avoiding crowded areas, washing hands, etc.). http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099%2811%2970295-X/abstract

It's also important you get the right vaccine for the outbreak strains in your area, or that are of most concern. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)67339-4/abstract

A useful app from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluviewinteractive.htm

Just a note- the vaccine linked to narcolepsy wasn't and isn't used in the USA.

You know there are actually risks to everything, including this vaccine, right? I don't care one way or another if people get vaccinated for it. Doesn't concern me at all. But at least don't paint it as perfectly rosy for everyone and act like people who don't get it are idiots.

You know, the link of the poster you quoted was actually impeccably researched and quite reasonable when you read the answer given for each point. She also had multiple reputable links to back up each one.

I get that you might not like the tone of the author, but the article in question was actually more thoroughly sourced than your post including several links more applicable to the narcolepsy issue, particularly as it pertains to the US than the link you gave.

I have yet to see anyone here saying that those who choose not to vaccinate are idiots. I think it's unwise to forgo the vaccine and that most of the concerns raised are generally speaking unfounded, but that's about the most I think anyone has said here.

I got the flu last year on New Year's Eve.  The cough was uncontrollable and lasted 3 months even with antibiotics and steroids. I wound up with a cracked rib and hiatal hernia from the coughing.  Ds just went through a bout of the stomach flu.

My entire family went today and all got shots. I am hoping it will keep us from getting H1N1, but the nurse told me that they were finding it was about 50/50 with the vaccine they have.  If someone does get it though, the case is usually not as bad as if someone had not gotten the shot.

Before this year we've never gotten the flu shot and never gotten the flu even with super close exposure to others (at work/school) with lab confirmed flu.

This year, due to other things we have going on, hubby and I opted to get the shot last month.  Youngest would not (inherited too much of my genes I suppose).  College boys have always gotten them as they can't afford to lose too much class time if they caught the bug.

We'll see what happens, but at this point, reading current reports, etc, I have no regrets.

Next year?  I have a lot of time to think about that one...

No issues at all from the nuts and bolts of getting the vacc.  Didn't expect any either.

I had heard that this year's flu shot was associated with more vax injuries / reactions than any other present-day vax.  I also read that you can spread the flu for 3 weeks after getting the flu mist.

Even before reading the above, we've never gotten the flu shot, and don't intend to.

Yesterday one of my kids' teachers urged me to go get the flu shot since the flu is so bad this year.  When I mentioned the risks of the shot, she started listing off all the close people she knew who had gotten the shot and had bad reactions.  Sounds like a total crap shoot to me.

Last year we  got the flu.  It sucked.  My kids were back up and running within the week.  I was sick, but semi-functional, for over a month.  I'm still behind on my work because of that rough period (among other things).  But I'm still not getting the flu shot.  If I'm meant to get sick, so be it.

Of course I do reserve the right to moan and groan if I catch anything....

I had heard that this year's flu shot was associated with more vax injuries / reactions than any other present-day vax. 

Do you have a source for this?  

Because without knowing what information this statement is based on, it's impossible to know if it's useful information or completely untrue.  

We've never done flu shots, but I'm still trying to decide for this year. My kids have already been ill so many times this season (I suspect from the gym babysitting room, since that's the only big change we've made this year) from stomach viruses to nasty colds. Not sure I want to deal with potential flu. Our H1N1 bout was MISERABLE!

Do you have a source for this?  

Because without knowing what information this statement is based on, it's impossible to know if it's useful information or completely untrue.  

Like most of the people posting here, I don't keep references to this type of information.  I saw articles linked on my facebook page by two different people.  I only have about 20 facebook friends and none of them are kooks.  I do realize that articles linked on facebook come from a variety of sources with varied reliability levels.  However, there is also plenty of anecdotal evidence and the wisdom of just observing the world for 47 years.  I'm glad the flu vax seems to work for some people, but I won't be getting it for me or my kids.

You know, the link of the poster you quoted was actually impeccably researched and quite reasonable when you read the answer given for each point. She also had multiple reputable links to back up each one.

I get that you might not like the tone of the author, but the article in question was actually more thoroughly sourced than your post including several links more applicable to the narcolepsy issue, particularly as it pertains to the US than the link you gave.

I have yet to see anyone here saying that those who choose not to vaccinate are idiots. I think it's unwise to forgo the vaccine and that most of the concerns raised are generally speaking unfounded, but that's about the most I think anyone has said here.

My bad.  My quick addition of other information for the health and safety of those getting the shot (such as picking the right form) were terribly out of form.  By all means, don't take precautions every nurse and pharmacist knows. I guess I should have spent months researching and assembling a reply for some odd reason.  By all means, don't take my advice about germ precautions, making sure your shot giver (pharmacist, nurse, etc.) takes cleaning precautions, or you choose a well matched form.   :confused1: