Menu

What is YOUR 'desert island' sandwich?

unsinkable

That is, if you were marooned on a desert island, and by some kind of magic or replicator, you could only eat one sandwich for the rest of your life, what would that sandwich be?

This is not a logic thread. Just assume, for whatever reason, you can only eat one sandwich for the rest of your life. What would it be?

Mine:

Marble rye, dill dip, havarti cheese, smoked turkey, tomato and spinach.

What is it? Is it sort of a grilled cheese slash burger?

Yes to the burger part; includes Swiss cheese amd tons of grilled onions on toasted rye bread. I like to add a little bit of horseradish sauce but that's not traditional. 

I'm rethinking though after seeing about the Monte Cristo. Those are sooo good, served with something sweet (jam, syrup).

A monte cristo. Of course, given the fat content of said sandwich, I would probably die of a heart attack within a couple of months, so spending the rest of my life eating just one sandwich wouldn't be so bad!

Eat with glee!  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/25/saturated-fat-is-not-the-cause-of-heart-disease.aspx

Well, it being an island, prob lots of cardio foraging for nuts and running from tigers (they have those on islands, right?), so I'm going for an authentic Philly cheesesteak, but it has to be beamed to the island from an origin point within 20 miles of Philly.  Farther out than that and cheesesteaks become weird abominations, like frozen supermarket bagels.

Failing that, the local HFS does an Alpine Slide sandwich -- turkey, swiss, green apple, lettuce, honey mustard on multigrain.  Insane.  And $7.

That's a tough one. It's one of two. A Jimmy John's tuna unwich or a drippy dressed roast beef po' boy from Parrain's in New Orleans.

Okay, after typing it out and considering that I might be exercising by running from tigers and may be able to supplement my sandwich with a bit of fishing and clamming, I'm going with the roast beef.

A good cuban sandwich - not authentic, but the way I make it. Ciabatta, roasted pork, thinly sliced ham and swiss, dijon mustard and good sliced dill pickles. All pressed together on the grill till the insides are warm and melty and the bread is slightly charred and crunchy.

It would depend on climate.

Hot climate- club on a croissant with havariti cheese, thin sliced tomato, and honey mustard

Cooler climate- hot roast beef on multigrain bread (not the thin sliced deli stuff- thick homemade roast leftovers)

The monte cristo is an intriguing idea too...........

I'd want a simple tomato sandwich with homemade mayo, a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. Maybe some basil. However, protein is the biggest concern on a desert island, so I'd have to go with a "leftover" turkey sandwich, mayo one day and gravy the next. Or maybe just perfectly ripe brie on a lightly buttered baguette, if health is not a concern.

Doner Kebab sandwich. :drool5: I've been craving it since we left Germany...two very long years ago. ;)

A doner would be mine too! But the exact one made by the lovely Turkish family in our small village. It had the best balance between ingredients, and she added sliced tomatoes, red cabbage, an herbed feta and bell pepper mix, and the best doner sose you have ever had in your life. Served with potatoes drowned in the sose. Drooling a little now...

Ooooh. Scratch my "leftover" turkey sandwich. There's a thing at one (or more) McMenamins locations called a Portland Dip. I've no idea whether it's Portlandy or not, but it's good. It's essentially a French Dip with mushrooms and swiss and is served au jus (beef), but the meat is turkey. Mmmmm.

I am assuming this is an island where it is warm all the time.  Otherwise, I'm not going there.

Romaine lettuce, tomato, cheese, bell peppers, yellow zucchini, onions, and chicken in pita bread. 

This sandwich had better magically appear, because if I have to grow the veg and kill the chickens, I'll starve.

Well, it being an island, prob lots of cardio foraging for nuts and running from tigers (they have those on islands, right?), so I'm going for an authentic Philly cheesesteak, but it has to be beamed to the island from an origin point within 20 miles of Philly.  Farther out than that and cheesesteaks become weird abominations, like frozen supermarket bagels.

Pat's or Geno's?

Bill

Pot roast sandwich

made with toasted french bread, hellman's mayo, homemade pot roast (heated- and with the little cooked onion bits on it)

However, I am the strange one in that I won't eat potato chips with out a sandwich, or a sandwich without potato chips.

So -- no chips--- no sandwich no matter the flavor. 

I wasn't a huge sandwich fan even before I was diagnosed with celiac. So I don't want to have to eat a sandwich everyday on the deserted island. But I will take a sushi roll with any kind of raw fish, jalapenos or other hot pepper, and lemon sauce over the whole thing. Wasabi and pickled ginger on the side please. :)