Menu

Would this bug you?

lavender's green

Thanksgiving family dynamics venting ahead...

Would it bug you if your mother (or MIL, but in this case it's my mother) called your toddler a "little sh!t"?  Not even when he was being naughty, but over completely normal stuff - in this case he accidentally hung up on her; he doesn't fully understand how to use the phone, and she had asked to speak with him knowing this.  A couple months ago it happened when she couldn't see where he was, and then again when he took a normal amount of time coming down the stairs.

It bugs me.  Actually, it makes my stomach clench.  In my mind you don't ever call a child that, and especially not my child.  My mom doesn't get it.  But then again our relationship is already hanging on by a thread and maybe I'm overreacting.

When it happened a couple months ago I was too surprised to say anything.  When it happened today I firmly told her not to call him that and she acted all surprised.  She said it's the same as calling him a little precious.  I dunno, to me precious isn't the same as feces...

It depends on the tone and how it's been traditionally used in the family.  In my family, "little sh!t" was often used the way people would say "lil stinker," affectionately acknowledging that the child has a mind of his own.  My mom also affectionately calls babies "little poopy face," no idea where that came from.

It would depend:

- How profane is the general vocabulary she uses? Is this the equivalent to 'a bit of a twerp' or the equivalent of 'a useless excuse for a human'? It sounds like it has a fairly mild meaning in her context, so that effects my reacton (a change in language required to an appropriate expression, not a grandma who actually hates him and says so.)

- Did she say it to him (name calling, confronting the child) or to you (descriptively, or confrontation ally)?

- Has she said it again after you made your offense-taken clear?

I have extended family that would say something like that in a light-hearted, "little stinker" way. That wouldn't bother me. If it was said in anger - yes, it would bug me. If it was said after I asked someone to stop (no matter the tone) - I would be very bothered.

Even if she means it as "little stinker" or "little precious" -- you don't have to tolerate her saying it. It's an expression that offends you, and she is perfectly capable of adjusting to your limits around your son.

The best response would have been, "If you mean 'little precious' then just say that instead. It matters to me."

Depending on tone etc not necessarily.  We have been known to say that or "why you little brat", It is said in a light hearted tone.  Heck I have called the teens at work little brats at times when they get to joking around etc.  Now if said in a hostile tone in a way to make the child feel badly then yes I would have a problem with it.  I would have a problem with it if the child was called a little sweetheart in that hostile tone too, so it is not the words that would offend me but the way they are said kwim

Perhaps suggest an alternative?  My sister uses "pooker buttkin."  I wouldn't like hearing "little shit" just because I don't like it at this stage of my life.  Like I don't like "OMG" and "hairy eyeball" and a few other things that people say without meaning offense.  If I was hearing these a lot from people I spend time with, I'd say it isn't my favorite expression and suggest something else.

I wonder if she says it almost as a deflection - like being embarrassed or taking it personally (perhaps realizing she shouldn't, but not knowing how NOT to) when she expects one thing and he delivers something more age-appropriate. Like it's totally about her, and how he makes her look.  Maybe even how he makes her look TO YOU, given the history there.

It wouldn't really bother me unless said in a certain tone. But it's not wrong that it bothers you, and you're totally justified in saying something. I normally prefer to let certain dogs lie or lay or whatever it is they do, but this is a dog I'd prep for a fight. I like the words bolt. offered because they seem firm but respectful.

Yes, because my mother never says that and it would be shocking and NOT endearing. My dad has some odd endearments like "fart blossom" and "booger butt" which don't bother me because I'm used to them, and they're not ever said in disgust.

I have a, er, colorful vocabulary, and "little sh!t" is for an animal who is naughty and rarely that. I can't imagine using it for a grandbaby!

Yes, because my mother never says that and it would be shocking and NOT endearing. My dad has some odd endearments like "fart blossom" and "booger butt" which don't bother me because I'm used to them, and they're not ever said in disgust.

I have a, er, colorful vocabulary, and "little sh!t" is for an animal who is naughty and rarely that. I can't imagine using it for a grandbaby!

My dad says "fart blossom".  What is that?  I wonder if it's a generational thing, or if you and I are sisters?

It isn't abnormal or offensive in my family, lol. If it bothers you, then you should defintely tell them to STOP (and firmly). My family just happens to have a potty mouth and, sincerely, calling a boy child a "little sh*t" is a term of endearment - meant to mean "he's a handful! All boy!" and usually goes hand in hand with a fond pat on the head, lol.

Tone is everything. If one of my family members said it while angry, or in a threatening tone, I would put a stop to it immediately and probably not allow my kiddo anywhere near them again.

I'd be mad the first time - but you're talking at least twice?  I'd be livid.  she wouldn't be seeing him in the future until she had proven she would speak to him more respectfully as well as instill in me trust she would treat him respectfully.

eta:my mom used to call me a "pill".  "affectionately". even as a child, it didn't feel affectionate to me.

It would bother me big time but I'm not used to being around that kind of language even casually.  

:iagree: 

I'm the same way.  You might hear profanity once a year around here.  I certainly wouldn't want my kids hearing it and picking up on it...meaning either using it themselves because they heard it or internalizing a negative message.

It would bother me extremely. I cannot stand people using profanity directed towards young children. If someone called my child that I would chew them out.

I once flipped out at my MIL for calling my toddler a little bugger. In Australia calling someone a little bugger is basically saying they are a  child sodomite. Apparently in the country my MIL lives in it doesn't have this meaning.

Thanks for all the thoughts, everyone.

As for other factors - well, I'd say the family was "functionally dysfunctional" for a lot of my childhood, got a lot worse in my teens, and nowadays it's quite obviously a train wreck to anyone passingly familiar with the family.  I suspect that she and Dad are alcoholics.  I don't know if it's a cause or result of all the dysfunction, though.  She's always had pretty poor boundaries, too.

As for personality disorders: my sister almost certainly has one.  I suspect that my dad might have something.  Also my maternal grandmother.  I don't know about Mom....  I've been doing SO much reading and thinking about family dynamics lately!  I want to raise my kids well.

I don't really want to cut her off.  She's the only person in the family I ever speak to.  I don't want to let go of that.  And she lives 800 miles away, so she's not having an everyday influence on my kids.

You know, I just realized that they probably spent a lot of Thanksgiving with the extended family saying horrible things about me for asking her not to call my son that!  That's how it goes every time... :(

It depends on the tone and how it's been traditionally used in the family.  In my family, "little sh!t" was often used the way people would say "lil stinker," affectionately acknowledging that the child has a mind of his own.  My mom also affectionately calls babies "little poopy face," no idea where that came from.

I agree.

It would bother me extremely. I cannot stand people using profanity directed towards young children. If someone called my child that I would chew them out.

I once flipped out at my MIL for calling my toddler a little bugger. In Australia calling someone a little bugger is basically saying they are a  child sodomite. Apparently in the country my MIL lives in it doesn't have this meaning.

I've heard of that particular miscommunication before too! Around here it mostly means "someone who 'bugs' -- is irritating"

By the way, keep an ear out for "fanny" -- also a particularly bad difference in semantic range.

And "pants" -- but everyone know pants.