Menu

Tell me I'm not a dork -- signing up for private swim lessons

Nestof3

If you're a dork then I am too!  Last spring i took a series of private swim lessons, prior to lessons I could only float but now I can back stroke, breast stroke, and swim free style.  Unfortunately I am not good at any of them yet but maybe one day :)

Totally not a dork.  Brave and wise is more like it.

I never liked swimming and am afraid of deep water.  My husband and kids are not.  So glad they took after their dad and not me in that regard.  I did sign up once for swimming lessons, in a group, while pregnant. What a dumb time to do that.  I couldn't breathe well.  That was over 16 years ago... have never been back. 

I am actually a very good swimmer.  However I learned to swim in our lake, so while I can swim, I don't have that "I was on a pool swim team" as a kid. I have hard time with the face down, turn, breathe as you move a certain arm.  I realized that when I had four months to myself and got a spring season pass to the town pool.  After water aerobics I'd try and swim laps.  It just wasn't working and I'd end up jogging instead.  I really, really wanted to take lessons so I could learn to swim for exercise, but we were PCSing soon adn didn't have time.  I am going to join the Y this fall so my son can actually get some more lessons and actual swim time adn I was thinking of doing this again then.  

Definitely not a dork! I've thought of doing the same thing because my form is horrible. My son, who was 16 at the time and had had lessons as a kid, had a family friend go with him to the pool to give him pointers on form when he was training for a triathalon. Later when he was at the pool by himself swimming laps, a 70-year-old lady started giving him pointers on how to improve his form for faster swimming. He said it was humbling. :)

I think it's awesome that you are doing this!

I love swimming laps!

I just got prescription googles today and can't wait to use them. Finally I will be able to see in the pool. 

I would not recommend a Lands End bathing suit though for lap swimming. Mine disintegrated from the chlorine. 

Check out www.swimoutlet.com and look for chlorine resistant bathing suits. They will last much longer. 

Okay, so we went to the pool during open swim today. We get there and half of the college swim team is practicing. Talk about intimidating. But I donned my cap and goggles and walked by four lanes full of uber fit swimmers and swam my pathetic laps. They were probably wondering why "granny" was swimming today. :)

Good for you!  My mother-in-law never learned to swim and finally took private lessons about 10 years ago, in her early 60s.  She still doesn't like being in water over her head but she has a lovely stroke and now swims laps 3x a week.  

I swam competitively in college and still swim at least several times a week for exercise.  Swimming just makes me so happy.  I would actually love to take a few lessons to fix a few problems with my freestyle and maybe begin to address my horrible backstroke, but I can't quite justify the cost.  Someday.

Swimoutlet.com has a great selection of suits.  The Speedo Endurance fabric is not the sleekest, but that stuff wears like iron.  

Good luck!  Have fun!

I can swim to live -- stay afloat, swim to good off, but I want to be able to swim to exercise.

Now to find a bathing suit.

Maybe a little bit dorky but I say good for you! I need to do the same. I do believe I would drown if I ever had to go in after one of my children. I'm afraid to go in the pool where I can't stand up. <blushes>

I can swim to live -- stay afloat, swim to good off, but I want to be able to swim to exercise.

Now to find a bathing suit.

I think it’s great! I was just reading an article (can’t remember where so can’t link it) about how some evidence suggests that learning new skills helps prevent dementia. It was saying that everyone knows about doing crosswords but that becomes not so great if you are really good at crosswords. It’s more about challenging your mind and body to learn new things. 

My swimsuit is a pair of swimming shorts and a regular swimsuit top that ties around the neck.  Next year, I'm getting a rash guard top.  I burn too easily and am tired of the amount of skin I have to cover with sunblock.  It takes me a full 15 minutes to slather it on myself and rub it in so it doesn't wash off. I use a shot-glass full or I burn.  My arms hurt so bad from having to twist around to apply the sunblock my own back.  Enough!

My point is that you're not a nerd for the lessons, and if you look hard enough you can find a swimsuit that you are comfortable in.  I found the swim shorts at Sears.  This isn't about modesty.  It's just that I don't like exposing the lumps on my upper thighs or worrying about extremely close shaves or about burned backs and shoulders.  I wear the shorts and (next year) the rash guard for practical reasons.  Then, when I'm swimming I'm focused entirely on the swimming and not what I'm wearing.

I don't even like getting my face wet in the shower.  When my face gets wet, my first instinct is to panic and take a deep breath...which I'm guessing would not be the thing to do if I were to fall in a lake.  So I overcompensate for that instinct when I do try to swim by holding my breath for all I'm worth (have you ever tried to do cardio while holding your breath?  Terrible idea).

So, no; you are not a dork.  I'm jealous, actually.

If you're a dork, then our Y is full of them.  Anytime I go there in the morning (anytime between 5 am and 9 am), there is usually an adult having a private lesson.  Most of them, like you, are looking for some stroke refinement/instruction.  There are a few where the teacher acts more like an athletic trainer and some who are just learning the basics (some of whom are uncomfortable in the water).  Not dorky at all though, at any level.  I'm already facing osteoperosis, and swimming is one of the few regular exercises I'm permitted -- yet I HAVE to exercise to maintain/hopefully improve what bone mass I have.