Menu

How many students do you have?

How many students?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. How many students do you currently teach? Include all ages PreK to High school.

• Just one.
    • Two.
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven or more.
    • We also have at least one infant or toddler.
    • Zero. Mine are all gone.
    • Zero. We have not started yet.
  2. 2. What levels do you teach?

• All PreK
    • All Elementary Grades
    • All Middle Grades
    • All High School
    • A mix of PreK and Elementary
    • A mix of Elementary and Middle Grades
    • A mix of Middle and High school.
    • Two or more widely spaced students (ie PreK and Middle grades only)
    • A mix of 3 or more levels.

I voted 3 students, plus at least one infant/toddler. This year, I have (or will have in the next 21 days) a 6th grader, a 3rd grader, a preK/kindergartener (he'll be 5 in late October and is somewhere in between the two), a 2yo (who wants to do everything the big kids do), and an infant.

Voted 3 with at least one infant/toddler.

I have a 2nd grader, twin K'ers.  I also have twin 3 year olds. I do often include them in our projects and I do prep things just for them fairly often too, but they aren't really students.  I also have a 9 month old. 

I too notice that the advice changes.  I read and consider all advice, but those with several children who are older than mine and with large families are the ones that tend to resonate with me the most. Life is different with a big family. :D

This year I will have one thoroughly loved and somewhat overindulged kindergartener. All the others are grown and gone, unless you count the 21 year old who periodically shows up with a car full of laundry and an empty stomach.

It still just my four boys right now. Baby girl is only 2, so she's too little for anything like pre-K. I'm a better-late-than-early person anyway. :-) My boys are beginning 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 11th. I'm sure of this because I checked my list. I really find it odd that my oldest will graduate before my baby begins Kindergarten. I tried telling oldest that he's not allowed to graduate until he's 20, but he reminded me that he has internet access.

I have 2 elementary, one preK, plus one toddler. 

I'm a bit surprised that the results so far are heavily weighted toward younger kids. Maybe because it's early in the day? I had read that most families don't homeschool high school. I guess it's true.

Yes.....I'm one of the few homeschoolers that I know "in real life" who homeschool through 12th grade.  I have 2 homeschool graduates and another one just starting the 9th grade this fall.

The majority start putting their children into school when they hit 7th or 8th grade, if not earlier.

I can't vote properly.  I have my 4, 1 afterschooler possibly and then whatever preK kids that I get in the fall, could be 1 could be 4.  So 4 students for sure, with up to 8 total for all day, and 1 afterschooler

So the plan is 2 in 9th, 1 in 4th, 1 in 1st, if I have the afterschooler she is in 3rd, and then possibly 4 in preK

We have five kids:  15 (7th grade), 14 (7th grade), 14 (6th grade), 14 (9th grade), 10 (5th grade).If you are confused, you wouldn't be the first.  International adoption with kids older upon arrival puts us in a different classification than most others.  Not a single one of ours is working straight at grade level in all subjects, which is perfect for us as we can meet our kids where they are as individuals.

Yes, advice changes as family size increases.  What works for someone homeschooling 2 might be impossible for homeschooling more.  I started out eclectic-y and still tend to lean that way, but I have drifted more toward textbooks with projects on the side, as I simply can't keep up with what has been covered for each learner if i don't have a firm way to track it.  I found textbooks the easiest way to ensure I was covering things and not missing anything, but i am not married to them.  

Also, we changed math curricula because there was no way I could have a real life and correct and teach 5 different levels of Saxon.  My kids liked Saxon and I liked the results, but I realized something had to "give" if we were going to continue to homeschool, and so that was my area of compromise.

This is an interesting poll and topic! 

I have five students this year, ranging from K to high school, and a toddler bringing up the rear.

They're kind of paired up. The oldest two are one grade apart (8th and 9th), but they don't do much of anything together anymore. Their scheduling and such are pretty similar. The next two are two grades apart by age, but less than a grade apart academically (5th and advanced 3rd). Their scheduling and daily structure is nearly the same, but they're only combined in literature and history. The kindergartner at the end is on her own, but she does jump in with the younger pair when it suits her.

This year they'll be in 6th, 3rd, 1st, and preK.  We are expecting in February, so I'm in for a long, chaotic year!   I'm struggling with making sure my 6th grader is challenged enough...I often combine her with my 3rd grader, but this year I'm attempting to split them up a bit more.  

We lean more towards CM than WTM, but I try to take a bit from both methods.  I find CM methods friendlier to a large family, mainly due to the shorter lessons and easy to combine subjects.  Last year I weeded out all busywork, but I'm afraid I may be adding some in this year.  We'll be doing lots of notebooking and more grading.  I printed out all our notebook pages, quizzes, maps, and tests for the first quarter and it's a bit overwhelming!   :leaving:   I'm hoping we'll have it down before our baby is born!  I'm also hoping to be more consistent with the preschooler...it's so easy to forget about her, but she could easily be reading CVC words by the end of the year!  

I answered 4 grade levels, but I also have a very precocious 3 yr old.   I don't teach pre-school, so I didn't include her in the poll......but if you listened to her talk, you'd know that she is a sponge for everything from elementary science to high school philosophy discussions.   (I had NO idea how much she was listening to our Paradise Lost discussions until just a couple of weeks ago when she out of the blue asked a question that had obviously been bothering her and was way beyond my ability to explain to a 3 yr old.)

I have 2 elementary, one preK, plus one toddler. 

I'm a bit surprised that the results so far are heavily weighted toward younger kids. Maybe because it's early in the day? I had read that most families don't homeschool high school. I guess it's true.

Am I misreading the poll questions?   I see the poll answer "3 or more levels" as the only option for answering if you are teaching from primary grades all the way through high school.   I have 2 high schoolers, a middle schooler, and a primary student this yr.   That response has the greatest number of answers.

Am I misreading the poll questions? I see the poll answer "3 or more levels" as the only option for answering if you are teaching from primary grades all the way through high school. I have 2 high schoolers, a middle schooler, and a primary student this yr. That response has the greatest number of answers.

Ah. I didn't think of that. When I last checked, 67% of respondents voted middle grades and under with only ≈ 20% teaching 3 or more levels.

Eta : as of now 62% of votes are middle grades and under. Still heavily weighted towards littler people.

I have 4th and 6th graders. I have a stepson who cyber schools going into 11th, but I didn't count him because he does all of his school at his mother's house. I spend a decent amount of time lurking on the high school board because that is the level I teach for our co-op, and I tutor at the high school level.

Ah. I didn't think of that. When I last checked, 67% of respondents voted middle grades and under with only ≈ 20% teaching 3 or more levels.

Eta : as of now 62% of votes are middle grades and under. Still heavily weighted towards littler people.

Your poll is also not going to be completely accurate b/c there are a lot of high school posters that only post on the high school board.   If this poll had been on the chat board, I wouldn't have seen it b/c I do not go on that forum.    

FWIW, I would think a poll that shows a broad range of grades as being the norm.  Some home educate never intending beyond certain grade levels (if you read some of the co-op threads, that appears to be an issue).   Some never plan on homeschooling high school, etc.   (putting kids into high school mid-stream can be complicated)

Anyway, nothing about the poll surprises me.   It is pretty much what I have seen on the forum over the yrs.

I'm absolutely counting my beloved three year old. She takes more energy than the other nine together. ;) (But she's worth it. )

All levels this year from one baby, one toddler, Pre-K to a senior taking college courses. At this point I am a little desperate to have DD have her own car.