Menu

Are wedding favors necessary...

my dd is getting married in November. They do not want to do wedding favors. All the weddings we have been to lately have them. Are they absolutely necessary and if you think they are can you give me any ideas that would not be real expensive. They expect 200-250 people.

Nope, not necessary, and I think they are kind of silly (even though we did have them in our wedding).

No one ever liked them. They were things like a couple of white candied almonds in a net bag, or match books with the names and date (that you could never use, because after all, they are KEEPSAKES!), or other cluttery things like that. They would sit around on the kitchen counter for a couple of weeks and then often be thrown away.

So when we got married, we decided to have imprinted napkins, to have a great deal of fun at our own wedding, to have a lunch rather than a dinner so that people from out of town could stay longer (and have more FUN!), and to have a very long dancing period and relatively short ceremonies at the reception (so that everyone would have more FUN!). I met with the DJ for about 7 hours before hand, feeding him names of the VARIETY of styles that we would need (big band, soul, rock, Charleston, the chicken dance IIRC, 50's) and specific songs. There was something for everyone, even the 80 year olds. I don't think that anyone missed the favors, even my very negative mom.

We also had the receiving line as people left the church, which is technically improper, but they had to file out anyway, and so this way we greet them then and they could relax and HAVE FUN at the reception (which was downtown at a hotel.) We took pictures at the church after the wedding, but our guests were served champagne and appetizers at the hotel while they waited for us. So they HAD FUN instead of waiting around.

I did buy very nice gifts for the bridesmaids and Bible readers, but gave those out at the rehearsal dinner the night before the reception.

People still talk about how much fun they had at our wedding. And we have been married for 21 years.

my dd is getting married in November. They do not want to do wedding favors. All the weddings we have been to lately have them. Are they absolutely necessary and if you think they are can you give me any ideas that would not be real expensive. They expect 200-250 people.

Another vote for doing away with wedding favors! I am so, so not a fan. :) A lot of the weddings I have attended recently have not had them-you can call it a California trend. :)

Just say no!

Both of my dds did favors. They did not ask my advice, which would have been NO!

You gotta know that most people are gonna toss those favors when they leave, if they even take them with them. What a waste of time and money.

Your dd sounds like a smart cookie:D

No, not necessary. Although dh and I did get a sort of morbid amusement out of using a book of matches the other day that said, "C__ and S__: a perfect match [date]" on the front... Their wedding favor matches lasted longer than the marriage. Sigh. At least they came in useful in a power outtage!

But no, I don't think they're necessary or even particularly welcome by most of the guests.

We had a tiny sit-down dinner for about 30 folks, and I haven't been to many weddings, so forgive my ignorance: What are wedding favors? A little gift you give to the attendees? Are you kidding me?! I can't believe that they could be considered necessary; the reception is the gift to the attendees, right? (I'm not being sarcastic--I'm really asking and assuming.)

I mean, I like swag as much as the next gal, but really--I'd prefer that the newlyweds enter marriage without debt. So I'd say, skip the favors and use the money you would've spent on those to pay off the florist. ;)

Just my $.02!

I agree with no wedding favors. We didn't have them at our wedding and I've never missed them at weddings I've been to that didn't have them.

We did go to a wedding this summer that had bags for all the kids at the receptions...they had a silly straw, a lot of chocolates, some crayons, some bubbles (it was an outdoor reception), and some glow-sticks. I was really appreciative of those, it was totally unnecessary but so sweet and my kids (and all the others I saw) appreciated it so much. Weddings can be pretty boring for kids. At our wedding (also a summer outdoor reception) we also had those glow in the dark necklaces, mainly for kids but we had more than enough for anyone that wanted them. They were cheap and fun and many people remember them even now.

The last wedding I went to had cards at every place setting that the bride and her mom had made. (Sort of like name cards) These had some sort of saying appropriate for a wedding (Scripture or quotes about love). Those were the favors. Very inexpensive, but meaningful.

(To make the cards, print the sayings on the printer and cut the cards. Paste those to half the side of a larger sheet. Fold the card over. Hole punch two holes near the fold and tie a ribbon through the holes. Voila!)

• 1 year later...

i think its about expectations. if folks coming will expect something, and be sad/annoyed if there isn't anything, then i would think try to do it, but with a personal, inexpensive spin. not for anything would i do any of the things they typically sell for "wedding favours".

for oldest dds wedding, we had stuffed bears for the children that they received when they picked up their table name card. we found them for $2- a piece at an after Christmas sale. they were great, because they gave the kids something to cuddle and play with during toasts, etc.

for the others, there were glass coasters that had room for a picture of the couple to go in. people are still using them joyfully. they came in packs of 2 or 4 (i can't remember), but we unwrapped them all, and set one at each person's place. that made them quite reasonable, too.

for our own wedding, we gave people giant sunflower seeds to plant and remember us when they bloomed. that was a hit, too.... and even less expensive. if we hadn't done that, i think we would have made a shaped sugar cookie for each person.

have fun,

ann

My vote is no, not necessary.

I planned our wedding long distance and wedding favors didn't make the cut. I did look into custom chocolates, but they were just too expensive.

The week before the wedding my soon-to-be-MIL asked about them, and offered to make some. Fine by me! She got some candied almonds, tulle, and plain ribbon in our wedding colors, and she and her sister assembled them. I thought it was very sweet of them, but I wouldn't have regretted not having them.

I went to a reception for a couple who were very into literature. The place cards were bookmarks with a literary quote on them. They made them by hand and laminated them. I still use them today. This was the best favor I have ever had.

Funny, I still have the matches from my sister's first marriage. We use them to light the grill and to light candles. She caught us using them for the candles on one of the birthday party and tried to throw them out.

OK, I made these really cute molded glittery soaps for my wedding 7 year ago. They were scented, too. Took me a lot of time. They were cute. I wrapped them in cellophane bags with irridescent ribbons and a tag with our names and the date on them. Do you know what our friends did with them? Used them to write things on the get away car. Yes, that is what they did with my precious soaps. If I were going to do it again I'd probably just make little bags of candies or something and place them at each place setting. But, overall, I don't think wedding favors are necessary.

I went to a reception for a couple who were very into literature. The place cards were bookmarks with a literary quote on them. They made them by hand and laminated them. I still use them today. This was the best favor I have ever had.

Funny, I still have the matches from my sister's first marriage. We use them to light the grill and to light candles. She caught us using them for the candles on one of the birthday party and tried to throw them out.

My brother did something similar. They pressed flowers and laminated bookmarks with various lines of romantic poetry, scripture. They really were lovely. Still have and use mine.

But you dont need favors.:)

No they aren't. I have been to alot of weddings lately and they all had them, and they are just really bothering me. I helped a friend clean up after her step daughters wedding and most of those little ditty items were all in the trash. What a waste of resources. They are just another reminder to me of mass commericalism gone amuck...

Please tell your daughter to save herself the money I really feel all these wedding favors are the McDonalds toys of weddings.:D

Favors are not necessary for a wedding reception. Can be fun and memorable, but this is an area to hold costs down.

Many cultures, however, include reception favors as part of their traditions. Our Greek wedding reception wouldn't have been "right" without the white Jordan almonds ! (We found a bulk supplier, though, so it didn't break the bank.) As they were an edible "favor", they disappeared following the reception.

Favors are not necessary for a wedding reception. Can be fun and memorable, but this is an area to hold costs down.

Many cultures, however, include reception favors as part of their traditions. Our Greek wedding reception wouldn't have been "right" without the white Jordan almonds ! (We found a bulk supplier, though, so it didn't break the bank.) As they were an edible "favor", they disappeared following the reception.

Slight tangent :).

When we join the Church, my husband and I will be married (yippee! our first "wedding" was merely a civil ceremony.) Do you think the almonds appropriate for this "second" wedding? We do intend to have a reception, as many folks from out of town will be attending (it will also be our Chrismation and the boys' baptism day. So excited!) and we want to visit and party afterwards. What do people in our situation do, in your experience?

The only things I've seen that have come close to what I'd call a wedding favor are the bubble solution bottles with the wedding date imprinted on them (to blow at the bride and groom as they exited in place of throwing rice or bird seed) and party blowers like you see on New Years (again, to blow at bride and groom as they exited the building). I've never seen anything else like that. We had little mesh bag thingies with bird seed at our wedding. I'd definitely go for bubbles over bird seed or rice.

I don't think this is what you're talking about here. I've never seen anything given out at a wedding aside from what your supposed to throw/blow at the bride and groom. I haven't gone to a whole lot of weddings though.

I'll PM you, so as not to pull the thread in an offside direction.

Slight tangent :).

When we join the Church, my husband and I will be married (yippee! our first "wedding" was merely a civil ceremony.) Do you think the almonds appropriate for this "second" wedding? We do intend to have a reception, as many folks from out of town will be attending (it will also be our Chrismation and the boys' baptism day. So excited!) and we want to visit and party afterwards. What do people in our situation do, in your experience?

• 3 months later...
favors are fun ways to tell your guests that you appreciate their presence. In my wedding I filled goody bags with a chocolate favors, a bottle opener and a candle favor. There are many more such practical, inexpensive favors at Buy Wedding Favors Online. I think a place card holder which can be doubled up as a photo frame is a good idea.

The reception is the 'fun way to tell your guests that you appreciate their presence'. :001_smile:

We made a donation to the Jimmy Fund (cancer research) in lieu of favors for our wedding reception. My grandfather had passed away from cancer a few years prior and DH's grandmother had passed away from cancer when he was a little boy. The Jimmy Fund printed up nice little scrolls for us and I personalized them by handwriting a little note thanking the guest for attending our wedding. We got so many compliments from folks on that.

Back in the day didn't everyone give Jordan almonds tied up in a little tulle? If you want to go old school you could do that and it wouldn't cost a ton.

Now they seem to be very theme related, and some I've seen have been very cute.

But they are not necessary, and I definitely wouldn't miss them or even notice their absence if they weren't there. At all.

No, not necessary. Although dh and I did get a sort of morbid amusement out of using a book of matches the other day that said, "C__ and S__: a perfect match [date]" on the front... Their wedding favor matches lasted longer than the marriage. Sigh. At least they came in useful in a power outtage!

But no, I don't think they're necessary or even particularly welcome by most of the guests.

Up in flames, eh?

We went to a cute beach wedding and they had chapstick printed with their names and the date on it. They were a big hit! Most people here don't have favors at the wedding, maybe a kazoo or something, but ususally koozies and printed cups are available at engagement parties and showers. (Can you tell we are Very Southern!?)

My dd gave out disposable cameras for wedding favors and we ended up with tons of great pictures from everyone's different POV. Some of my favorite picture came from other people. I thought that was a great idea.

The last wedding we were at also did this and the family said they had the best time looking through our pictures. Unbeknownst to them, the owner of the reception hall came around to each kid present offering to make them their favorite food (whether it be shrimp or mac & cheese) and the couple got a big chuckle over seeing one of our kids with a huge plate of pancakes.

The bride also had hand crocheted dishcloths in black and white and added ribbons to make them look like brides and grooms. It was personal, practical, and at least at our table kept the kids entertained by taking pictures of the bride and groom sword fighting with the miniature appetizer swords from the cheese tray .:D

I'd do away with them if the couple doesn't want to do them.

We did a candy bar - mason jars / apothecary jars filled with our favorite candies, and little bags for the guests to fill up and bring home. Think it ended up being less than $1 per guest, but I spent hours finding the right bulk candy sites, lol. In my mind, if it's not edible or practical (like the bookmarks mentioned), it's probably a waste.

But, if they don't want to do favors, don't! I doubt anyone will actually miss them..

I was just at a wedding and they did not give out expensive favors. But they did gather us up at the end of the wedding -- passed out cheap (Oriental Trading) "pink heart-shaped" bubble bottles. The bride and groom ran to the getaway car while we showered them in bubbles. Cheap and fun.

I think they are totally unnecessary, but I did like ours - they were relatively cheap and I'm pretty sure most people ate theirs - we bought a few bags of Hershey's Kisses and Hershey's Hugs (do they even make those anymore?) and wrapped two kisses and two hugs up in a little tulle. Hugs and Kisses. Cute, huh. :tongue_smilie: I think I was much goofier back then. ;)

We had those little bubble jars for people to use in lieu of throwing rice as we exited the church--we had a couple of people hand them out from baskets as the guests exited. Then, at the reception, we had little bells for guests to ring instead of banging silverware (for bride & groom kiss). And we had Hershey's miniatures that we put our own wrappers over--pastel paper with our names & wedding date printed on them, printed on our home computer. Those and the bells were on the reception tables. Ours was a somewhat-casual reception, in that it was in the church fellowship hall rather than at a rented banquet center.

Nope, not necessary, and I think they are kind of silly (even though we did have them in our wedding).

I would never be offended to attend a wedding without favors. I could never quite see the point of it. One usually remembers whose wedding one attended without the "memorabilia".

However, a very thrifty lady in our church purchased several shiny looking pebbles (they have silver and gold colored ones) from a craft store and small plexiglass containers (this cost her less than $20.00 in 2003) as well as paper roses in pink and mauve (I think). She put the pebbles in the containers and decorated the top with the flowers. Depending on what time of year the wedding is and if you and your friends have a nice flower garden, you could use real flowers of course.

I don't think they are necessary or expected. If kids will be in attendance, some simple activities at their tables would be nice. My sister had a kid table at her reception with crayons, markers, paper, stickers, and a few other things. Very helpful. She also gave each kid a disposable camera to take their own pictures at the reception. I think that was the favorite item over all.

We had a very small wedding and we did do favours, but they had a reason behind them - we had a plain white wedding cake, and then decorated it with little marzipan animals that told a story about us (I was the Beaver because I am Canadian, and he was the Grizzly Bear because he is from Montana) and we had things like penguins and moose about 10 different animals. So, we bought little boxes and gave everyone a little edible marzipan animal as a "favour". I actually know many of our guests still have them saved away (okay the ones who didn't eat them right away).

As a general rule I don't like meaningless favours, but if there is some story to it, then go ahead and favour people.