Menu

I wasn't planning on posting again this soon, but I was hit from left field today

Parrothead

Mom of a Type 1 for four years, here:

Give yourself time.  Don't create big scenarios until you know for sure.

Then give yourself some more time.

If you do have one of these conditions, eating will be a big job for a while. It will consume a lot of your time. 

But that is temporary. 

When we started this journey, we wrote up common meals that we normally eat, and one at a time, figured out the carbs.  This gave us a cheatsheet that helped a lot.

Just like everything else, over time you get better at figuring things out.  Now both my DD and I can glance at something and make a darned good guess at the carb count.

Mostly you need to give yourself permission to grieve, to adjust, and to have to learn something new. And, give yourself lots of time (are you sensing a theme here, LOL?). Eventually, you will get used to the new normal.

And they are making breakthroughs in diabetes left and right.

:iagree:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Mother a type 1 diagnosed about 14 months ago.  The first few weeks were hard.  Everyone told me it would get easier and it really, truly does.  I'll be praying for you.   :grouphug:

I don't know much about what you are facing, but I know a bit about you. You will accept your challenges, once you have time to do that, and be a light for others--because that's what you seem to do with nearly every challenge you've shared. Tons of hugs!

From one parrothead to another, praying for you Chucki! It will be OK, no matter what the diagnosis turns out to be. You are in God's loving care.

I keep looking at these descriptions of both type 2 and type 1.5. I just don't freaking fit either one. It is starting to really pi$$ me off. I don't have any typical symptoms of either type 1 or 2. I'm not excessively thirsty, I don't pee all day long, I'm not losing weight, I'm only 19 pounds over weight so I'm not obese. My vision is fine for someone with Graves eye disease. Heck, I don't even wear glasses!

I can fall back on the whole "freak of nature" but damn, I don't want to be that much of a freak of nature. I dread telling my mother because she will blame it on being vegetarian in the same way she tried to blame dd needing glasses on being vegetarian. I don't need that from her.

Someone tell me what the freak this is? (Insert head banging, throwing up and worried smilies here)

*sorry Ellen. I didn't mean to quote you so I could rant. It just came out that way. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I'll be praying here too, and I'm really glad you came back to tell us, even if it is this kind of news.  We care about you and wish you the very best.  I come from a family of medical freaks, and I get what you are saying.  Hang in there, I know this was a shock.

I keep looking at these descriptions of both type 2 and type 1.5. I just don't freaking fit either one. It is starting to really pi$$ me off. I don't have any typical symptoms of either type 1 or 2. I'm not excessively thirsty, I don't pee all day long, I'm not losing weight, I'm only 19 pounds over weight so I'm not obese. My vision is fine for someone with Graves eye disease. Heck, I don't even wear glasses!

I can fall back on the whole "freak of nature" but damn, I don't want to be that much of a freak of nature. I dread telling my mother because she will blame it on being vegetarian in the same way she tried to blame dd needing glasses on being vegetarian. I don't need that from her.

Someone tell me what the freak this is? (Insert head banging, throwing up and worried smilies here)

*sorry Ellen. I didn't mean to quote you so I could rant. It just came out that way. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this Chucki. 

I don't know if this will help or not, but for my mom she didn't have any Type 1 systems either. She'd even had some special vision testing done that showed everything was perfectly fine.  A week later, she was admitted to the hospital for pancreatitis and then rushed upstairs to the ICU b/c of DKA.  They told her that sometimes it really does just happen *that fast*. 

It was difficult for her at first and I remember her being very angry about it and feeling that it just wasn't fair.  Like someone else said it, it's really just a matter of time. Time to come to terms with it, time to learn new food habits, time to stabilize insulin doses and sugar levels.  IMO, as a vegetarian, you're probably much closer to having stable numbers than my mom (a certified carb lover) was.

One thing my mom said about having Type 1 was that at least she knew it wasn't her fault. It wasn't caused because she was a little overweight or not exercising or eating properly. It just happened and there was nothing she could have done about it one way or the other.

She still doesn't exercise a whole lot and indulges in her favorites now and then (adjusting her insulin accordingly), but for the most part she's switched to a healthier diet and lost 30# over the past year. She looks younger than her years now and so much like the mom I remember having.

You're in my prayers and know that no matter what the outcome, you *will* get through this!

I mentioned earlier that I've spent the last year since diagnosis doing a LOT of reading. And, one thing that stands out is that diabetes isn't stagnant and it doesn't always fit the stereotype.  Even when you think you've got it all figured out, or eat the exact same foods several days in a row, you end up with different results. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned allowing yourself time to grieve. That is really part of the initial process. It's hard to think of all you "have to give up". But, you do what you have to do and it all works out.

You'll also find that diabetes isn't necessarily "caused" by anything. Yes, people who are not familiar with it will blame diet, weight, etc. But, there are many obese people who never develop diabetes and many thin diabetics. My dr says over and over that genetics is the big factor. A couple of months ago, I learned through a cousin who was working on our family geneaology, that 2 great grandparents had on their death certificates that death was caused by diabetes. So, I had diabetics way back in my family.

I never did tell my mom as she was in a nursing home due to a stroke (she died last Nov). Her mind was still amazing, but her body wasn't working. Anyway, I didn't want to add to her stress. I didn't tell anyone in my family other than one sister until this year. I just didn't want the attention or having everything I ate analyzed. Tell people at your own speed. Let them think what they want, and you do whatever you decide is the best way to take care of yourself. Do the research, don't rely on doctors. Empower yourself to be in control.

Surround yourself here and in person life with supportive, loving, encouraging people.

Yes...and if anyone says anything stupid to you, hurl a bowl of bean dip into their face.  (That's my version of "pass the bean dip" ;))

:grouphug:

:grouphug:  It feels like the end of the world, but it's not. 

I found the diabetes education at the hospital helpful for figuring out how to use equipment, but when it came to my actual diet they led me wrong......seriously.

And the lot of you are my support group so...

It is not officially official, but it looks like I have diabetes 1.5 or LADA.

I was not expecting this. I have no symptoms such as excessive thirst or urination or blurry vision. Really no symptoms at all. I don't even know what to think at this point. I'm afraid to eat any thing.

I have another fasting draw later this week then I'll have the test for the antibodies.

I'm holding it together in front of dd and dh. I'm not sure how.

If you are the praying type I think I could use some prayer. I know people live with this every day. So at some point it will become my new normal. I just never thought it would be my normal.

If anyone has any links or helpful suggestions I'd be happy to see them.

Pax,

I am so very sorry to hear this.  I understand what you are going through because I just went through this myself in March.  I will try to link to my thread but if it doesn't work, you can search for LADA on the chat forum.

It turned out that my antibody test came back negative.  So I scheduled an appt with an endocrinologist based on the rec of my primary care doc.  Prior to seeing her, I purchased a blood glucose monitor and tested myself on a schedule for a week.  All of the levels were normal except for a couple of times when I ate a baked sweet potato for a post workout snack and after eating dessert of sweet rice/mango at a Thai restaurant.

I saw the endocrinologist in May who ran the A1c test again and a bunch of blood work AGAIN $$$!  The A1c showed a level of 6.1 which is still pre-diabetic.  All I got from the endo is that the test indicates pre-diabetes and I need to watch my diet and exercise.  I already eat pretty clean and exercise 5/6 days a week.  It really irks me to think of wasted money especially since I just wrote a check for about $700 to the insurance company this week. 

I also understand feeling like a medical freak.  I have a rare autoimmune disorder; a rare degenerative eye disease (which means I am slowly losing my vision) which is unrelated to the diabetes; had shoulder surgery over 2 years ago and the docs canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t figure why I still have pain.  My other shoulder is getting pretty bad but I am reluctant to pursue any medical intervention.  Aargh.

So at this point, I have decided to tweak my diet further.  The diet recommendations by the endo and what the ADA recommends will not work for me since I was already eating better than those reccs.  I started the Whole30 during the month of June.  My reintro to stuff in July did not go as planned because we were travelling and staying with friends over  July 4th weekend.  I am continuing to eat clean and will do a more systematic reintro later.  If you havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t heard of Whole30, google the website and the book Ă¢â‚¬Å“It Starts With Food.Ă¢â‚¬Â  I will most likely be following a modified Paleo diet.  I am still not sure what I will be able to add back in to my diet.

Sorry for the long post.  Just wanted to let you know that I understand.  I have spent the past few months reading up on diabetes and learning more about the Paleo/Primal diet.  You will get through this.  Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hugs and prayers.

HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the link to my old post:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465187-anyone-have-experience-with-latent-autoimmune-diabetes-in-adults-lada/?hl=%2Blada&do=findComment&comment=4875788

Ack! I'm so confused. I need to stay away from google.

I'm reading about random glucose testing (what I had) and trying to find anything that says a random level of 211 (my results) thirty minutes after eating Chinese food and drinking 2 glasses of root beer is normal or abnormal.

Just about every site I've seen says random glucose testing should be 90-120 minutes after a meal. But the blood was drawn no more than 30 minutes after eating.

Everything I've read says if I'd been 12 points lower (199) 30 minutes later I'd be fine. So what am I? Normal? Diabetic? Type 1 or type 2 (I'm 19 pounds over weight so it could very well be type 2)? Freak of nature with so many other things going on that this test was an anomaly? Can I eat anything besides leaves and cucumbers? Maybe I'm just insulin resistant. Maybe I'm just going to make myself crazier than I already am.

Then because that test was high, he wanted to do another. But I'd not quite an hour before had Mexican for lunch. Yes, and more root beer. I declined that test and asked for something I can take to my local hospital for a fasting test. So I'll be doing that later in the week or on Monday.

Oh, and I'm low on B12 which when normal helps regulate blood sugar. So maybe this is just a deficiency thing and if I get my B12 back to normal levels all this will go away. But I'm supposed to take my B12 with breakfast. I'm afraid to eat breakfast. I had some cucumber slices and water. Is that enough breakfast to take vitamins with? Or am I going to puke up cukes?

I am so very sorry to hear this. I understand what you are going through because I just went through this myself in March. I will try to link to my thread but if it doesn't work, you can search for LADA on the chat forum.

It turned out that my antibody test came back negative. So I scheduled an appt with an endocrinologist based on the rec of my primary care doc. Prior to seeing her, I purchased a blood glucose monitor and tested myself on a schedule for a week. All of the levels were normal except for a couple of times when I ate a baked sweet potato for a post workout snack and after eating dessert of sweet rice/mango at a Thai restaurant.

I saw the endocrinologist in May who ran the A1c test again and a bunch of blood work AGAIN $$$! The A1c showed a level of 6.1 which is still pre-diabetic. All I got from the endo is that the test indicates pre-diabetes and I need to watch my diet and exercise. I already eat pretty clean and exercise 5/6 days a week. It really irks me to think of wasted money especially since I just wrote a check for about $700 to the insurance company this week.

I also understand feeling like a medical freak. I have a rare autoimmune disorder; a rare degenerative eye disease (which means I am slowly losing my vision) which is unrelated to the diabetes; had shoulder surgery over 2 years ago and the docs canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t figure why I still have pain. My other shoulder is getting pretty bad but I am reluctant to pursue any medical intervention. Aargh.

So at this point, I have decided to tweak my diet further. The diet recommendations by the endo and what the ADA recommends will not work for me since I was already eating better than those reccs. I started the Whole30 during the month of June. My reintro to stuff in July did not go as planned because we were travelling and staying with friends over July 4th weekend. I am continuing to eat clean and will do a more systematic reintro later. If you havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t heard of Whole30, google the website and the book Ă¢â‚¬Å“It Starts With Food.Ă¢â‚¬ I will most likely be following a modified Paleo diet. I am still not sure what I will be able to add back in to my diet.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to let you know that I understand. I have spent the past few months reading up on diabetes and learning more about the Paleo/Primal diet. You will get through this. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hugs and prayers.

HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the link to my old post:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465187-anyone-have-experience-with-latent-autoimmune-diabetes-in-adults-lada/?hl=%2Blada&do=findComment&comment=4875788

I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this too. I think all the maybe and testing is the worst part. I was excited to read that Thai food brought your blood sugar levels up. I'd just finished Chinese prior to the test. Now I am more hopeful.

Chucki - you had high sugar foods each time  you were tested.  Getting a high of 211 isn't necessarily unusual after that - though it may indicate that you are having a  hard time metabolizing all that sugar.  A fasting blood sugar isn't bad but isn't the best test either because sometimes people's sugar goes up overnight if they didn't eat enough protein before bed.  What your doctor needed to order was a Hemoglobin A1C test.  That test gives an average of your blood glucose over time.   

Chucki - you had high sugar foods each time you were tested. Getting a high of 211 isn't necessarily unusual after that - though it may indicate that you are having a hard time metabolizing all that sugar. A fasting blood sugar isn't bad but isn't the best test either because sometimes people's sugar goes up overnight if they didn't eat enough protein before bed. What your doctor needed to order was a Hemoglobin A1C test. That test gives an average of your blood glucose over time.

I was only tested that one time. I refused the test yesterday because I'd just eaten the Mexican (all beans and rice and root beer).

I read tea total era thread and saw one*mom's comments about diabetics not healing well. Do you remember the urticaria I have? I always scratch myself silly when the hives pop up. They all heal with in days. Even my feet and ankles. It is summer here finally and I'm wearing flip-flops, wedges and more flip-flops. Ive had 6 or 8 blisters over the last 4 weeks which heal just fine.

I really don't know what to think.

At the very least, you might be insulin resistant like I am.  And yes, I don't heal as quickly as others.  But finding out your A1C will be very helpful.  It sounds like your pancreas probably is still making insulin otherwise your numbers would be very very high all the time.  That means that you will probably just have to learn how to count carbs or even go low carb to some extent.  I took my pre-diabetic numbers and was able to turn them into normal ones by learning how to eat in a way that my body isn't overburdened with too much to process all at once.  Knowledge is power and I really do think that the Hemoglobin A1C is your best choice for good data to work with.  

At the very least, you might be insulin resistant like I am. And yes, I don't heal as quickly as others. But finding out your A1C will be very helpful. It sounds like your pancreas probably is still making insulin otherwise your numbers would be very very high all the time. That means that you will probably just have to learn how to count carbs or even go low carb to some extent. I took my pre-diabetic numbers and was able to turn them into normal ones by learning how to eat in a way that my body isn't overburdened with too much to process all at once. Knowledge is power and I really do think that the Hemoglobin A1C is your best choice for good data to work with.

What did you do for your pre-diabetes insulin resistance?

What did you do for your pre-diabetes insulin resistance?

Not Jean, but I have the same experience (pre-diabetic numbers that I turned around to normal numbers).

I went low-carb and tested my sugars one hour after eating until I learned what I could and could not handle (everyone is different). I shot for below 140 one hour after eating and under 120 2 hours after. I would exercise after a meal if I felt I had had too many carbs. Once I learned what I could eat I didn't test as often. I had my A1C tested every 3-4 months. After a year and a half I noticed my body could handle more carbs and I could loosen up and "splurge" occasionally. I regained beta cell function.

With a number like 211 after the meal you ate, you shouldn't panic and not want to eat. That is not a dangerous number. You are probably much lower normally.

When you go low carb you really need to watch all carbs. As a vegetarian, that means really being careful with beans and grains. For a while we stopped eating as many veggie meals (we normally ate 80 percent vegetarian). You will probably need to switch to egg based meals---cheese has a bunch of carbs. I can now have a small amount of beans and we are back to our "old" routine. Remember potatoes and sweet potatoes have a lot of carbs. I can't handle potatoes at all.

I bought a glucometer and testing strips.  (Actually I got the glucometer for free online and then buy the testing strips.  Or you can buy an inexpensive glucometer at Walmart and buy their testing strips).  This was critical for figuring out how my body reacts to foods.

I take my fasting blood sugar every morning.  It should be under 100.  But if it isn't at first, the thing that is most important is trends.  In my case, my fasting blood sugar can be high at times in the morning despite being lower when I went to bed.  This is called the "dawn effect" and can be a result of your liver releasing extra glucose if you get too low during the night.  This is why I don't base all my decisions on my fasting blood sugar levels.

I take my blood sugar (esp. at first) 2 hours after every meal.  My goal was to have it be under 120 at that reading.  If it wasn't, I looked at what I ate.  I quickly found out that my body (every one is different) can handle a bit of grain at breakfast but not at lunch and only a small amount at dinner.  

By keeping my 2 hour postprandial readings at 120 or less after each meal, I was able to bring my numbers down to normal.  

Parrothead, you mentioned you have graves eye disease. Are you taking prednisone or a related steriod as treatment? I will wait on your answer for further commentary, except to say that prednisone and other medications can raise blood sugar levels. Unrelated question, are you taking any beta blockers? Unlikely, but they are also known to raise blood sugar levels.

Thank you both.

I did finally eat something besides cucumber. I had a salad. I'm going to take off these extra 19 pounds. But I'm afraid someone will point out that weight loss is a sign of diabetes. I know that isn't rational thought.

If nothing else this will get me back on track. I had been slacking off in my healthy eating.

Is there any way to keep the liver from sending out glucose? (Where does the liver get the glucose?)

Parrothead, you mentioned you have graves eye disease. Are you taking prednisone or a related steriod as treatment? I will wait on your answer for further commentary, except to say that prednisone and other medications can raise blood sugar levels. Unrelated question, are you taking any beta blockers? Unlikely, but they are also known to raise blood sugar levels.

No. I've been off steroids for about 3 years. My eyes are actually getting better. No beta blockers either. I was put on them about six years ago and my blood pressure plummeted. With the graves thyroid my blood pressure varies pretty often. So I'm trying to run to keep it at a more normal level. But that gets boring. Or hot. Or whatever it is that distracts me.

The only thing I take besides my new supplements (as of yesterday) is a Benadryl at night.

With a number like 211 after the meal you ate, you shouldn't panic and not want to eat. That is not a dangerous number. You are probably much lower normally.

Will you tell me why you don't think the 211 is a dangerous number? The doctor and his nurse (and most everything I've read) thought it was high.

Will you tell me why you don't think the 211 is a dangerous number? The doctor and his nurse (and most everything I've read) thought it was high.

It is high and long term it it were always at this level it would cause damage. Constant numbers over 140 will cause damage, too. The result is indicative of a problem that needs to be solved. But it doesn't mean that your next meal would send you into a diabetic coma, iykwim. Type 2s who are uncontrolled are seeing numbers around 300.

I was mostly responding to your concern about eating at all. You had a high number after a very high carb meal (and after less than an hour). If I had eaten what you had eaten my sugars would have been much, much higher. Whatever insulin resistance I have is worse than yours and I have been able to bring my averages to normal. You will be able to do it, too. You will find your new normal.

Make sure you eat protein and not just salad, okay?

It is high and long term it it were always at this level it would cause damage. Constant numbers over 140 will cause damage, too. The result is indicative of a problem that needs to be solved. But it doesn't mean that your next meal would send you into a diabetic coma, iykwim. Type 2s who are uncontrolled are seeing numbers around 300.

I was mostly responding to your concern about eating at all. You had a high number after a very high carb meal (and after less than an hour). If I had eaten what you had eaten my sugars would have been much, much higher. Whatever insulin resistance I have is worse than yours and I have been able to bring my averages to normal. You will be able to do it, too. You will find your new normal.

Make sure you eat protein and not just salad, okay?

Okay. Thanks. I tried telling the doctor about the meal and the timeframe but he dismissed it. I suppose doctors hear so many excuses they don't even listen anymore.

I don't know what kind of protein to eat. I suppose I can scramble some eggs. I might have some nuts in the freezer.

Okay. Thanks. I tried telling the doctor about the meal and the timeframe but he dismissed it. I suppose doctors hear so many excuses they don't even listen anymore.

I don't know what kind of protein to eat. I suppose I can scramble some eggs. I might have some nuts in the freezer.

He dismissed it because for a "normal" person they wouldn't have had a number that is that high. He still needs to investigate what's up so you can prevent problems.

Yes, eggs and nuts. Almonds are the best (and you can get them flavored). Cashews are the highest in carb count and should be eaten in moderation. Well, all nuts should bc of calories.

I don't know about soy bc I haven't been able to stomach it since I was pregnant the first time. You can google the carb count. If it's about 5 grams a serving you are probably going to be fine. (If I had to "guess" for you, I'd say you'd be fine with 10-15 grams of carb a meal and maybe higher).

Once you get a glucose meter you can figure out how much cheese and bean you can have.

Protein and fat will keep you from getting so hungry you throw caution to the wind and eat carbs.

hugs.  its harder i think when you aren't expecting it, kwim?

but a fyi:  what you eat and drink the night before a fasting test can really influence the results.

so no wine or alcohol the day before.  better if you have no pasta or potatoes, either.  and no soda.

and a snack of three crackers and peanut butter just before the fasting time begins.

and then see.

at least that way, you will have a better sense of what you are really dealing with.

once they had me do the opposite: lots and  lots of pasta, potatoes and wine before the test, to get a "worst possible case" test result.  maybe you've already done that with the first test? ')

and in the meantime, you could look at the gestational diabetes diet suggestions and try to follow them.  they are milder than what may be necessary, but should help minimize damage, too.  when i had it, i found that i had to have protein every time i put something in my mouth.  every single time.  and i just stopped drinking anything that had sugar in it.

good luck!

ann

My test was a random glucose test.

I'm cleaning out/detoxing right now. When I think I'm sufficiently free of all sugar I'll go have the fasting test. So I'm working my way to eating veggies and drinking plain black tea (as opposed to with whole milk). In a few days I hope to trade in the tea for filtered water.

My test was a random glucose test.

I'm cleaning out/detoxing right now. When I think I'm sufficiently free of all sugar I'll go have the fasting test. So I'm working my way to eating veggies and drinking plain black tea (as opposed to with whole milk). In a few days I hope to trade in the tea for filtered water.

I can't speak for the taste, but you could put heavy cream or coconut oil into your tea instead of the whole milk.

If you are lowering carbs, don't overlook the need to add more fat.  If this is a long-term project (and it sounds like it may be), you might appreciate The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, which explains a lot about the various mechanisms and a few important logistics on how to go about eating low carb.

First, :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: .  2nd, you were wise to ask for another test, and I agree w/ Jean, that they need to do an A1c.   If initial diagnosis is correct, a diabetes educator might help, and might not.  Do your own research, because a lot of them are STUPID!  JME

Look at a paleo diet, as this is autoimmune, paleo may really help.  

That's all the advice I'm giving, but I do have more of these:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  

Thinking of you! I was going to say my dad had to go back for additional testing and was then told he did NOT have diabetes, so that is a possibility too. (((hugs)))

That is exactly what happened to my dh, too, so I'll pray the same thing happens to you, too, Chucki!   :grouphug: