Menu

Give me your best "stay awake during a long drive" advice

In 10 days, I have to make an 8 hour drive for my daughter's climbing competition. I had hoped that I would be carpooling with someone or that my husband could come with me. But, it won't work out. The one person who was available to carpool can't leave until evening (not getting in until 2am.) My husband planned on coming but found out that they scheduled interviews that day for positions that he has been trying to fill for over a year, which means that he can't take the day off either. So, that means I am driving myself with my daughter and her friend. After about 5 hours (with one stop), I struggle with alertness. What are your best tips for staying awake and alert? Caffeine only gets me so far and I don't want to experience a caffeine crash (nor do I want to add too many extra bathroom breaks. ) Audio books that are sure to keep me alert? Music? Foods?

Audio books work best for me. Music puts me to sleep. Stories give me something to focus on. Get an exciting one that will keep your heart rate going. I also don't drink coffee ordinarily, so when I buy it for road trips it works well for keeping me up. Good luck!

Two teenage girls shrieking and talking to you? That would keep me awake! But I would also make sure that I took an hour long break at about 5 hours since you know that is your limit to rest, read a book in quiet without a girls (make them go window shop or something), shut your eyes for awhile (tell them to wake you up after 30 minutes or set an alarm on your phone) and eat and drink.

I avoid bread type foods when I'm driving. So, I cut up celery, cucumber and apples and boil eggs. I cannot eat fast food and drive. I do have to stop and walk around. For an 8 hour drive I would plan two stops. One stop might be a quick sack lunch stop where I at the vegetables and the kids ate whatever they preferred. I would not start drinking caffiene before the trip started. I'd put off getting a diet cola or coffee until the first "walk around stop".

Don't be afraid to stop more if your alertness is waning.

I like music. dd and I have gone to Target before long trips and gotten tacky compilations ("disco" "the 80s") and she's been treated to me singing through the trip.

Audio books, upbeat music, interesting lectures or podcasts, caffeine, and having something to chew on, (candy, gum or nuts), all are helpful.

Also, for medical reasons, I have to walk and stretch at least every two hours and I find those 20 minute breaks make me much more alert.

I listen to audio books and peppy music. Eating sour candy and/or chewing gum helps me too.

This is exactly what I do. Of course, I tend to not count a drive as a "long drive" unless it is more than 12 hours. My youngest is super-thin and her bottom hurts after 30 minutes so her idea of a long drive is anything longer than her 10 minute trip to co-op.

Frequent breaks with a splash of water on my face and neck help to keep me alert. I also tend to switch from caffeinated drinks during long drives to v-8 or something like that because it leaves me feeling better at the end than if I'd caffeinated myself for that long.

Our favorite audio books for long rides are the Fagles translation of the Illiad and the Heaney audio of Beowulf. You have to concentrate, and they are worth the time.

Great ideas. I plan to have lots of cut up veggies, gum, and mints in the car as I do best if my mouth has something to do:). Plus, I have the breaks scheduled on the map and plan to walk a bit, plus do some jumping jacks and push ups to keep the blood flowing. I will save the Diet Pepsi for the last hour or two of the trip. The girls will have some upbeat music that I probably have never heard before.

Any good audio book suggestions - like with a lively narrator? We really liked the Redwall books on audio - they were the best. But dd and her friend have likely graduated from those (plus dd has read them all.)

Free air through the AC system helps. A colder car is better than a warmer one.

Minty gums or mints will help short term.

Nicorette lozenges are a major brain waked for me when I need them (no, I am not a smoker).

Driving during day light is much much less fatiguing them driving at night.

We are driving 6-7 hours today. It is only a semi long drive. LONG drives usually involve a 20+ hour drive. I really enjoyed the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman audiobooks; it is by Brian Jacques.

Thanks for the book rec. I'll look for it. Okay, so, it may not be long for you, but it will be for me since I am not sharing the driving responsibility and really struggle after 5 hours. I tried so hard to find people to carpool with, but it didn't work out.

Thanks for the book rec. I'll look for it. Okay, so, it may not be long for you, but it will be for me since I am not sharing the driving responsibility and really struggle after 5 hours. I tried so hard to find people to carpool with, but it didn't work out.

Just teasing you, Dirty Ethel. ;)

If I were trying to stay awake, I'd take regular "bathroom breaks." Except the primary purpose would be to walk briskly for ten minutes or so. A little exercise means I'll be alert for a good while.

This is what I do. I try to stop at as many Sam's Clubs as possible, clean bathrooms and a nice brisk walk all around the store. Bonus if you're able to pick up a lot of samples on your circuit. I also love McDonald's coffee and listening to NPR. Music doesn't do it for me while I'm driving, I need something to listen and think about.

Eating is definitely my favorite method of staying awake on long drives. Something with many many small bites. I have never in my life fallen asleep while eating. Just don't eat super-sugary things that are going to make your blood sugar crash an hour later.

A thing that works for me is knowing what time of day is my bad time. For me it is around dusk, I get sleepy when the light fades (funny, but dawn is just the opposite). So I always plan my trip to be over by 6pm or have someplace to have a long dinner stop, afterwards I can drive again.

Audio books until you're tired. Then music favorites to sing along with, usually surfing the radio to keep me involved. Finally, my secret weapon for the last tired leg of a trip I like something with a beat that is faster than your heart rate. Electronica is great for this. Not a favorite of mine, normally, it keeps me awake because my heart starts to beat a bit faster.

I have driven many many miles up and down the East Coast by myself. If you struggle with sleepiness, the best thing is to stop at a rest stop and take a 30-minute nap. Sometimes there is no way around just stopping for sleep. Stopping more frequently (every 2 hours) also helps. Stretching and walking around will help you stay awake. Eating light snacks instead of heavy meals helps.

A large iced tea from McD's $1.00, sip and then munch on the ice. The alternative is red licorice and it has more calories. We like audio stories. If you like Harry Potter and haven't heard it read it will give you all many hours of entertainment.

I like podcasts. I load up a playlist with a mix of long and short, various genres, etc. Then as I drive, I can click to the next one if I'm not liking the one playing. I also bring a USB drive or two, with folders of various music genres; I can then put it on "random".

If it's a long journey, I try to plan my stops. On one long trip, I stopped every 2 hours or so at a Whole Foods or Wegmans. Clean bathrooms, nice part of town, near the highway, quality snacks if I needed them. A bit of a walk in the fresh air or around the shop. Yes, it adds to the driving time, but it seems to refresh me, and I can always decide to skip a planned stop if I don't feel I need it.

I minimize sugar, and like snacky foods rather than big meals, to keep my blood sugar on an even keel. Blueberries, pistachios, pretzels, apple slices, muffins. I treat myself to sushi.

ETA: I also make sure I have what I need, should I decide to stop. A handy overnight bag with the basics makes this easy.

If I need info of any kind (hotels, traffic), I have a team of family members at home willing to do the research for me.

I try to get an early start, but getting a good night's sleep trumps that so I'll leave later if need be.

I try to pack everything the night before, and fill the car with gas, etc., so I have very little to do before leaving.

good luck!

we do many of the things suggested, plus we have found the podcasts of "Car Talk" to be just about the perfect thing to keep us alert.

the other thing, when it gets quite desperate, is to set the windshield wipers on "intermittent". if its a long enough intermittent setting, i have forgotten about them and then they go. the squeaking on the dry windshield ensures another few minutes of alert driving, by which time, o look, someone put the windshield wipers on. however, once i get this stage, i try to pull over and powernap for 30 minutes.

hth,

ann

ps. on the other hand, i'd be waiting and carpooling, even with the later arrival time.... cheaper, safer, more fun.... and a 2am arrival will tank me, but not my kids, KWIM?

I like to listen to audiobooks by Harlen Coben. We listen on long car rides and we'll realize that dh and I haven't said a word to each other in hours! Or we'll get to where we're going and we just sit and listen instead of getting out! I haven't loved his narrarators, but the twists and turns in his plots are amazing,

A thing that works for me is knowing what time of day is my bad time. For me it is around dusk, I get sleepy when the light fades (funny, but dawn is just the opposite). So I always plan my trip to be over by 6pm or have someplace to have a long dinner stop, afterwards I can drive again.

This is also very good advice. For me it's early afternoon, just cannot seem to keep my eyes open.

I do best if my mouth has something to do:)

I eat sunflower seeds. The ones with the shell that you have to open one at a time. I also take a wet washcloth that I keep freezing cold with an ice pack to wipe my face or neck. Keep the vehicle on the cooler side. No sugar for me as that makes me sluggish feeling. Drink ice water. Crunch pellet ice from Sonic.

We moved in Nov. and now have a 6 hour drive to my sister's house, 8 hours to our friends in our previous town and 9 hours to the grandparents. NPR is what keeps me alert. All the different story segments keep me thinking, which keeps me fully alert. At first, my teens didn't like NPR, now they love it too. If they get tired of NPR, they have their ipod.

Audiobooks and lots of candy and snacks.

Audiobook recommendation: Skullduggery Pleasant by Derek Landry. Fun story. Amazing narrator. We listened to it on a trip a few years ago and still quote lines from it to each other.

I have to stop about every 2 hours for a bathroom break and to walk around a bit.

I need to drink a lot while driving. Mostly I drink water, but Fuze fruit drinks are good too. I will generally finish an entire bottle of what I have in 2 hours (hence the need for frequent bathroom breaks). What I'm drinking has to be cold or it doesn't work to keep me awake.

It also helps for me to eat. I either go salty or sour. If I have a fruit drink, then I go salty. If I'm drinking water than I can go sour (usually sour skittles), but sometimes I will have grapes. Grapes are the perfect driving food. They're just really expensive and I need to have already destemmed them and picked out the bad ones when I washed them. I don't generally try to eat any other kind of fruit while driving.

ETA:

I can't have caffeine. I stopped caffeine cold-turkey 23 years ago because of ovarian cysts. I can't tolerate caffeine anymore in amounts larger than you would get from chocolate.

I absolutely cannot do audio books. The tone of the voice of the people reading them is so soothing it actually lulls me to sleep. I used to have a rather long commute and tried audio books but it became dangerous. When I used to take long road trips with my ex we'd put in audio books and I'd be out like a light before the end of the first chapter.

Singing helps me, and so does sucking on a sour-ish candy, like jolly ranchers. That one actually helps quite a bit.

good luck!

we do many of the things suggested, plus we have found the podcasts of "Car Talk" to be just about the perfect thing to keep us alert.

Perfect. We love "Car Talk" around here!!

ps. on the other hand, i'd be waiting and carpooling, even with the later arrival time.... cheaper, safer, more fun.... and a 2am arrival will tank me, but not my kids, KWIM?

I had thought about that, but the girls are competing in the morning so it would not be in their best interest to arrive so late, even if they ended up sleeping in the car.

I fall asleep if I drive for more than a hour. I know I do it (have done it and woke up on the wring side of the road) so I have set myself limitations on how long I drove fro. the only way I have found that I can stay awake for longer is by having a full bladder. I cannot fall asleep if I am busting (A FACT). unfortunately there is a limit of how long you can be in that state for so it only extends my driving time by half hour max. If I have to travel further than that I find a driver or take public transport.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. As it turns out, the girls and I are taking Amtrak and will be riding back with dd's friend's dad. I didn't think this was a possibility until my husband brought it up... for some reason, I had it in my head that they didn't have daily service. It will be cheaper than driving, let alone 2 cars. We will definitely use these suggestions for making the trip go well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. As it turns out, the girls and I are taking Amtrak and will be riding back with dd's friend's dad. I didn't think this was a possibility until my husband brought it up... for some reason, I had it in my head that they didn't have daily service. It will be cheaper than driving, let alone 2 cars. We will definitely use these suggestions for making the trip go well.

I love the train. It's slow but so relaxing. Bring snacks and books and a few small games for fun.