Menu

My son sustained some serious burns to his legs tonight.

Rose in BC

Just this morning I was chatting with a friend telling her how overwhelming parenting two FASD kids is on a daily basis. tonight, while i was at a work meeting my 16 ds decided to build a fire in our fire pit. Things are pretty wet given that the snow is just melted so he decided to use gas as an accelerant. :(

The gas dropped on grass which caught fire. He decided to stomp out fire with his feet...the fire shot up his pant legs burning his shins. Neighbour called fire department but dh was home and took son to emergency. (Btw he had permission to build fire, not use accelerant.)

It's going to be a long night at our House. Dr prescribed Tylenol 3's but I'm not comfortable giving this to my FASD boy with an addictive personality so we're doing Tylenol/ibuprofen round the clock (I spoke with pharmacist).

I'd appreciate prayers for his pain and my peace (and coping skills) :). We'll be going back to hospital tomorrow for dressing change and dr to check for infection. It could have been a lot worse but it's unnerving none the less.

The dd of one of my dearest friends was badly burned when a bowl of steaming water fell and the water splashed up on her legs.

Is there a specialized burn unit at a hospital anywhere near? The quality of care is much, much better.

My friend had unbelievably good results with colloidal silver. They didn't use tons, but the skin healed much faster and much better with the little they did use. They were afraid to do it, but also concerned because of the extent of the burns and their dd's difficulty in healing. They have never regretted using it to help their darling dd.

Don't underestimate how much this hurts and the fact that it will continue to hurt for weeks. Addiction to pills is secondary to addressing the pain right now and for the next weeks.

When my friend's daughter was able to wear pants again, for a long while it had to be white only because of the lack of dye.

My friend also spent many months doing some form of specialized scar massage each night for her dd. Her dd also needed extensive physical therapy.

One further thing to be aware of is that as the skin heals and tightens, this affects posture. Make sure you ask a physical therapist about this. Folks at the burn unit can counsel you more effectively on how to address the physical therapy needs and how to fight the postural changes.

:grouphug:

Oh, I am so sorry for your ds!!

I agree with the others to not withhold pain meds. Burns are extremely painful. Tell the doc your concerns and ask if there is something less addictive (I don't know much about meds, so I'm just throwing that out there--- one can hope, right?).

:grouphug: :grouphug: To you and your ds.

Thanks guys. Please don't worry. I would not let him suffer...I do understand how painful this is for him. I spoke with the pharmacist last night for advice. We've been giving him a concoction that seems to be working and we will be taking him back this afternoon for dressing change. If what we are doing we would definitely do the T3's.

We live in a small, rural town , no where near a burn unit (closest one is probably seven hours from here). Dr said some things were in our favour. the burn was just the front of his shins, not the circumference. That could have caused circulation problems as legs swelled.

He's instructed to keep his legs elevated (and increase protein in diet).

Thanks for all your comments. He's not exactly a restful guy...keeping him resting and legs elevated might be difficult (unless moving is painful). And because he is FASD he doesn't always understand the seriousness of situations.

So sorry and trust you are all doing better today.

My dh suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his legs 30 years ago now. He received great treatment ( not at a burn center) and has litterally no scarring today.

However, shins ( which is where his worst burns were) were the hardest part to heal. We kept Silvadene cream in the house for years. If he would bump the area that had been burned, it would turn into a nasty sore immediately. We continued to treat that area with Silvadene to help the healing. I now know about Colloidal Silver and would try that as well. ( Maybe that is what is in Silvadene cream which was a brand new salve when my DH was burned)

My DH reacts to most pain meds and refuses most of them. It was a long road to healing, but you can do it.

Here's the rest of the story:

I was at work, a council meeting (I work for municipal government). Meeting is held in a room at the fire hall. Shortly after the meeting started we heard the fire trucks dispatched. I fleetingly thought to myself "I hope it's not going to my house." Minutes later my phone started vibrating. I thought to myself who would be calling. They know I'm at council. I see a text from my sister, who lives 1500 km away, asking me if my house was on fire. It turns out my niece who also lives 1500 Km's away, got a call from her aunt who lives near our house. Her aunt asked her if our house was on fire so my niece phoned my sister who phoned me.

Anyhow, I texted a boy who I knew was at our house (my son doesn't have phone priveldges right now) and asked if our house was on fire. He said no, Ryan was on fire ... but not to worry. Yeah right. I went home, they had already gone to hospital.

That's small town living.

Things are going okay. So far the pain has been manageable. I keep wondering if it'll hurt more tomorrow than the first day. Dr looked today and said things were looking good.

I can understand your situation a little as well. A few years ago my husband burnt his knees both of them. It was horrible. It was worse a couple days after. As it started to heal it also itched like crazy. We still have silvadene cream in the house for it. He did have to do alot of stretching and massaging to keep the skin from getting too tight as it healed. It was hard for him to keep moving and walking when it hurt but he knew he had to. I had to change his dressings at home for weeks. It took months to totally heal over. He also became very sensitive to anything on his legs. If he falls and scrapes those spots they damage more quickly now. If he got sun on them they burned easier. It was tough.

BTW I also live in a small town. We were not able to take him to a burn unit or anything either. It wasn't feasible or considered bad enough. The local small hospital did okay but I am sure things would have gone better and maybe healed quicker had he gotten at least advice from a burn unit. I tried calling one but they wouldn't talk to me over the phone.

Its been a few years but I still have bottles of silvadene and gauze and stuff left. I have slowly used them on kids injuries here and there but still have a bunhc left

Christina

I can understand your situation a little as well. A few years ago my husband burnt his knees both of them. It was horrible. It was worse a couple days after. As it started to heal it also itched like crazy. We still have silvadene cream in the house for it. He did have to do alot of stretching and massaging to keep the skin from getting too tight as it healed. It was hard for him to keep moving and walking when it hurt but he knew he had to. I had to change his dressings at home for weeks. It took months to totally heal over. He also became very sensitive to anything on his legs. If he falls and scrapes those spots they damage more quickly now. If he got sun on them they burned easier. It was tough.

Christina

Just to encourage you, my DH no longer has to be careful of the burned areas. On a rare occasion when he bumps his shin it might get a scab, but nothing like the first 5 years after it happened. KNees..wow..tough place to heal!

Here's a brief update. We go every day for dressing changes and were told today we may be doing this a few weeks. He also has a lung infection so he's definitely under the weather.

Dr told him today that he should refrain from any activity that will cause him to sweat or have fabric chafing his leg until the wounds are closed. That means no biking, skiing, boarding, swimming....and this is my over active child. I hope he understands the seriousness of the situation. So far it's been okay because the pain and weakness have been self limiting but I worry when he starts to feel better.

Hopefully he heals quickly. He has youth on his side. Will they not let you change his dressings?

We could not afford to go in daily for my DH. While we did for the first week to assess it at first we moved to doing it ourselves with strict orders to watch for certain signs of infection. We did have to do a couple weeks of this thing in the physical therapy unit where he basically soaked in a hot tub to help get the dead skin off and then someone would come along and peel off loose chunks. Gross I know and I am sure a burn unit somewhere could have done better but that wasn't an option for us at the time. Really though it isn't that difficult to change the bandages yourself. Just make sure you wrap and cover it VERY good so as to keep it clean.

Note as well, it is going to get to looking very ugly. As it heals and new skin grows in it just is quite gross looking. But eventually he will have a new layer of skin there. Honestly I think the pain will keep him from being overly active until it is healed well enough. My husband learned quickly what he could and couldn't do even after he was "healed". Like one time he tried to go play basketball with the guys. Um yeah he came home early after landing on his knees on the floor just once. He didn't break skin or anything but it hurt much worse than he expected and decided he wasn't healed enough for that yet.

Christina

Hopefully he heals quickly. He has youth on his side. Will they not let you change his dressings?

We could not afford to go in daily for my DH. While we did for the first week to assess it at first we moved to doing it ourselves with strict orders to watch for certain signs of infection. We did have to do a couple weeks of this thing in the physical therapy unit where he basically soaked in a hot tub to help get the dead skin off and then someone would come along and peel off loose chunks. Gross I know and I am sure a burn unit somewhere could have done better but that wasn't an option for us at the time. Really though it isn't that difficult to change the bandages yourself. Just make sure you wrap and cover it VERY good so as to keep it clean.

Note as well, it is going to get to looking very ugly. As it heals and new skin grows in it just is quite gross looking. But eventually he will have a new layer of skin there. Honestly I think the pain will keep him from being overly active until it is healed well enough. My husband learned quickly what he could and couldn't do even after he was "healed". Like one time he tried to go play basketball with the guys. Um yeah he came home early after landing on his knees on the floor just once. He didn't break skin or anything but it hurt much worse than he expected and decided he wasn't healed enough for that yet.

Christina

I'm guessing eventually they'll make us do it at home. We are in Canada so I don't have to worry about paying out of pocket but I am cognizant of not over using the services if not necessary. Next week we see the dr again (nurses do dressing changes during week). Maybe the orders will change and we will start doing it at home.

They did say because he has the lung infection overall healing will take longer.

Thanks for the warning about the ugliness...I am not the best with medical things :).