Menu

We are overrun with scorpions. PIC added!!

Remudamom

Each spring we see a few scorpions in the house but this year it's ridiculous. I put my foot in my slipper last night and was stung twice, and this morning one of the boys put on his jeans that he had thrown on the floor and yep! Got stung over and over as he danced around and hollered.

I think they are coming from the attic, dropping out of the air vents.

This are small scorpions and other than a prick when they sting it's harmless. In fact, I thought I had a piece of hay or something in my slipper and it really didn't hurt. Ds has a different opinion.

I'd nuke the house but dh is particular about poisons so he's going to have to handle it himself. In the meantime I'm very careful about where I put my toes.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll236/Remudamom/IMG_1990_zps19d08ae9.jpg

Stick traps work really well! We had a lot of scorpions at our last house (in the country) but thankfully we were never stung. They were the same tiny ones. I hope you are able to get rid of them!

Oh, and we were in the midwest as well, in southern Missouri near Branson. ;) Definitely not the south, and when we moved there we didn't expect scorpions, rattle snakes, and tarantulas. LOL

Each spring we see a few scorpions in the house but this year it's ridiculous. I put my foot in my slipper last night and was stung twice, and this morning one of the boys put on his jeans that he had thrown on the floor and yep! Got stung over and over as he danced around and hollered.

I think they are coming from the attic, dropping out of the air vents.

This are small scorpions and other than a prick when they sting it's harmless. In fact, I thought I had a piece of hay or something in my slipper and it really didn't hurt. Ds has a different opinion.

I'd nuke the house but dh is particular about poisons so he's going to have to handle it himself. In the meantime I'm very careful about where I put my toes.

Ewww. Can you treat around the perimeter? Cut way down on our bug influx...but we don't have scorpions (Praise the Lord!). Eeek.

Okay, that's it. I can handle winters. Staying north it is.

My BFF lives in Texas. She keeps trying to suggest we move down there, but forgets she's told me about all the critters she's encountered. Aside from all the really bad pests, the final straw is that she has lizards in her yard, while I have cute fuzzy bunnies and squirrels.

Like I've said before... I could handle running into a bear better than a tarantula or rattlesnake.

Hey, I'm in the midwest, not the South.

But you know what? I'll take scorpions over flies anyway. I despise flies.

Where in the midwest? I'm near the KCMO metro area and am wondering if I need to go put on shoes (after checking to make sure they aren't a scorpion habitat).

Stick traps work really well! We had a lot of scorpions at our last house (in the country) but thankfully we were never stung. They were the same tiny ones. I hope you are able to get rid of them!

Oh, and we were in the midwest as well, in southern Missouri near Branson. ;) Definitely not the south, and when we moved there we didn't expect scorpions, rattle snakes, and tarantulas. LOL

We love camping down there and last summer I went down with a few family members to do a big campout. DD and her cousin were laying on a towel drying off from playing in the creek when they started doing these little squeaky almost screams. Like they wanted to scream but were too scared. DH went over to check on them and saw a huge tarantula. I've lived here darn near my whole life and I had no idea we had tarantulas! All weekend we'd hear screams around the campsite as other people ran into tarantulas.

:crying: :ohmy: :scared: :ack2:

Every time I get sick of winter and think I want to move South, I see something like this and think "NO WAY!"

I agree! The up side to living in an area that has cold/snow for 6-7 months at a time is there is limited creepy crawlies. I can bundle up against the cold, not so much against creepers that want to sting me in my slippers etc.

When we lived in NE GA we were overrun with them :eek: The first season we found 37! They showed up everywhere. Open a cabinet - one is sitting on the plates. Walk through the living room at night - one sitting in the middle of the floor. We learned to strip the bed every night after dh was stung in the middle of the night. They like to hide in between the sheets at the foot of the bed. What really did me in was when I realized that they could climb the walls :angry: or the morning I found one sitting in the corner of ds' crib :ack2: For that we wrapped foil around the legs in a downward cone shape. Each season there were less of them. I think the last season we lived there we only found a handfull. Dh treated the property with poison every year and our landlord cut the trees hanging over the house back. I developed a sixth sense to them. I'd be walking through the house in the dark and just know I had to step further than usual. Turn the light on and yup there's one on the floor. I also learned that a scorpion dropped in alcohol with tweezers will die. :smash: We has some pretty impressive collections in alcohol. Amazingly I was never stung in the 5 years we lived in that house nor ds who was not yet 2 when we left there. Now - looking back I can't believe we stayed there but we loved our house on the hill. You have my every sympathy!! I couldn't do it now.

:crying: :ohmy: :scared: :ack2:

Every time I get sick of winter and think I want to move South, I see something like this and think "NO WAY!"

I live in the South and I've never seen a scorpion outside of the zoo. You are handling it much better than me, because I would have moved out of the area already.