Menu

What "canned" foods do you use? yahoo article.....

thebacabunch

....had me thinking. I know a lot of folks do fresh only. I would say I am about 75 percent fresh food, but I do have certain items I buy canned. http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/6-ways-transform-canned-vegetables-181700091.html

I buy:

canned tomatos (they don't grow where I live so I can't can them myself)

garbanzo beans for hummus and spanish dishes

good quality albacore tuna

green beans (love them, childhood guilty pleasure)

pears

peaches

mandarins for out of season breakfast

and, though not a canned item, I will buy the instant potatos at costco with no preservatives.

Some things seem pretty universal like pickles, olives, gardinera, etc.

I am curious to know what kinds of things everyone buys this way

Most of the stuff I can think of:

tomatoes

black, garbanzo, and kidney beans

baked beans

tuna

Hunt's spaghetti sauce

mandarin oranges if making a particular kind of cool whip salad or if the kids talk me into it

fruit cocktail (kids again)

pineapple

clams for clam chowder

pie filling to use as ice cream or cake topping very occasionally

soup and chili for fast lunches

We can our own peaches usually, otherwise I'd buy those. I don't really like the taste of the usual canned vegetables, like corn, peas, and beans. I have to have fresh or a good quality frozen for those.

Erica in OR

Corn

Refried beans (every once in awhile)

meats for dh's emergency lunches

ready to eat soups for dh's lunches again.

I keep a few different types of basic soups on hand for emergency moments

That's stuff that I would buy canned. As for things I would can myself and we eat canned,

peaches

pears

green beans

beats (never pickled *shudder*)

tomatoes

tomato paste

pasta sauce

and I know I'm forgetting a couple things, but those are the basics.

There have been times when I'm just too tired to care and then we'll end up with more bought canned stuff in the pantry, but usually, most stuff I can myself.

Tuna

Beans (black beans or garbanzo, when I don't have time to cook from dry)

Tomatoes of varying type: diced, crushed, sauce

Black olives

Pumpkin

Coconut milk

I buy canned things that (generally speaking) just come that way. IOW, there really isn't a viable alternative to coconut milk in a can, olives don't come "fresh", etc.

Tomatoes

Pumpkin

enchilda sauce

refried beans

bamboo

water chestnuts

tuna

soup

Everything else is fresh or frozen. Except for the tomatoes, they're generally foods that are hard to get over here in other forms. The tomatoes are bought fresh as long as possible and then in cans/jars in the winter. The article linked had one of our favorite veggies at the top, though: french cut green beans, steamed or stir fried, topped with slivers of a hard cheese OR steamed, with an italian dressing and toasted almond slivers. Yum!

I buy some canned items but someone on these boards went off on a thread one time berating those of us who didn't eat totally fresh. Apparently we are ruining our kid's eating habits. Some people get their knickers in quite a knot.

green beans

Le Seur peas

corn for when we don't want to cook frozen corn on the cob

fruit for a whipped cream treat (we call fluff)

chicken noodle soup

chicken and beef broth for cooking

tuna

black beans for soup

coconut milk

beans (rarely)

tomatoes

tuna (rarely)

sauerkraut (rarely because we make our own)

gravy (yes you read that right...gravy!)

Oh, this too! My kid learned how to make schnitzel last year and any time he makes it he includes red cabbage sauerkraut, buttered noodles, and gravy. (It's a very healthy meal. :laugh: )

Cat food, tomato products, broth (for when a big frozen container from the freezer is too much - I also get the bigger boxes of broth), beans and refried beans, evaporated and condensed milk for baking, hominy, tomato and chicken noodle soup, green chilis. Sardines for hubby. Salmon for patties. Pumpkin.

Tuna I get in the bigger family-size foil pouch. Used to get it canned.

Most veggies are fresh, peas and corn forzen. I was raised on canned veggies, though.

I try to find as many thing as possible in jars instead of cans. I am afraid of the stuff they spray in cans. But I do buy some canned stuff; same as everybody else:

canned tuna and salmon

canned cat/dog food

tomatoes (but I try to get these in those boxes instead but is that really any better, I wonder? it's more expensive!)

Some soups, refried beans, black beans and chili

I really had to stop and think about this. I used to use lots of canned foods. Now I realized I don't use alot. Items I have on hand that are in a can:

Tomatoes/tomato paste

Black Olives

Black Beans/garbonzo/kidney (although I usually use dried beans and make them myself)

the occasional can of progeresso soup

Tomato paste

The very occasional can of tomatoes

Coconut milk - sometimes I buy the tetrapak variety with no preservatives, sometimes the sulfated one in a can

Some beans, although I mostly cook from dried

Pineapple

Pumpkin puree

Evaporated milk, but I usually don't even use this but end up throwing it away when it expires. I have this feeling I "should" keep evaporated milk around.

I can't think of anything else. I am not really a can-crazed person.

My list wasn't entirely accurate. I was thinking about the canned products that I buy, not my home canned.

Home canned:

tomatoes, pasta sauce

pickles

dilly asparagus

Zesty California mix

peaches in white grape juice

green beans

pintos

black beans

dark red kidney beans

navy beans

chicken (I do up about 60 lbs. of chicken breast once per year when I can buy it in bulk, free range but not organic, local grown - $1.59 lb. at the packing house)

If dh had the time to take up serious salmon fishing again, I would can salmon as well. But, he hasn't gone in years.

Faith

Tomato paste/diced tomatoes (salt free)

Refried beans (vegetarian/fat free)

Olives

Baked beans (for quick meals for my husband)

Pumpkin puree

Although I cook most of our beans from dried, I try to keep a couple of cans of garbanzos and/or black beans in the pantry for times when I haven't planned ahead. And, like you, I keep a box of instant mashed potato flakes, which I use to "smooth out" home-made mashed potatoes.

Edit: I just have to say I found it interesting that I don't buy any of the canned items mentioned in that article.

I buy some canned items but someone on these boards went off on a thread one time berating those of us who didn't eat totally fresh. Apparently we are ruining our kid's eating habits. Some people get their knickers in quite a knot.

I say if a person has a problem with what I feed my family, they are more then welcome to come and be our cook and grocery shopper.

Canned items I usually use:

Tuna

Broth

Canned ham for a casserole

Diced New Potatoes

Tomato Sauce

Peas

Creamed corn

Cream of celery soup

Cream of Chicken soup

Progresso Gumbo

Tomato Soup

tomatoes--diced, whole, crushed, Rotel for salsa (I prefer tomato paste from a tube)

beans (but trying to be better at planning ahead and using dried)

corn (DH doesn't like frozen, for whatever reason)

tuna--but we don't eat much of it

pumpkin/squash

coconut milk (rarely)

evaporated milk (like coconut milk, once in a long while)

I have currently canned

Green beans

corn

creamed corn

spaghetti o's with hotdogs for dh and youngest son

beefaroni

various condensed soups

kidney beans (for chili)

pears

oranges

stewed tomatoes

chicken

I'm sure there's more but then I'm the mom who also buys stove top stuffing, tons of boxed cereal (yep the high sugar stuff like cocoa puffs) knorr noodle sides and rice a roni.

I try to find as many thing as possible in jars instead of cans. I am afraid of the stuff they spray in cans. But I do buy some canned stuff; same as everybody else:

canned tuna and salmon

canned cat/dog food

tomatoes (but I try to get these in those boxes instead but is that really any better, I wonder? it's more expensive!)

Some soups, refried beans, black beans and chili

I prefer glass jars, too, although they scare me in my overpacked pantry. Although I do buy canned goods, too - just the regular sort of things. Except in emergencies, we don't eat many canned veggies at home, although we do take them camping. The most common canned goods that we use somewhat regularly are coconut milk and some Progresso soups. (If I had to make my own clam chowder we would never have it!)

Cans only? No glass or pouches?

Usually:

Vegeterian refried beans

Black beans

Fava,garbanzo beans

water chestnuts, bamboo shoots

corn

Clams for clam chowder

sardines (dh's "treat" *shudder*, I have to leave the room when he eats them)

Rarely(like a couple times a year):

Chili beans

evap milk or condensed milk for a recipe

pumpkin

Creamed corn

Pineapple/fruit cocktail for a recipe again

yams

Tuna and salmon I buy in pouches. Olives, pickles, beets, artichoke hearts, pasta sauce and tomato paste I buy in glass.

This does not count the stuff I have in our emergency box in case of earthquake or the like. I also have can soup, pasta and fruit in there. I keep track of expiration dates and rotate through, use up and replace as needed for that.

We don't eat that much canned food, now that I think about it.

Tomato products

Black beans

Pumpkin

Evaporated milk

Green beans (for a green bean casserole)

Half my list we only use on Thanksgiving or Christmas. I used to use many more canned goods, but I make my own cream of whatever soups now. Not for some kind of high-minded health benefit, but because they taste much better and dh will cry if I use the stuff out of a can. He's spoiled. ;)

I'm sure there's more but then I'm the mom who also buys stove top stuffing, tons of boxed cereal (yep the high sugar stuff like cocoa puffs) knorr noodle sides and rice a roni.

Don't worry, I've got you beat. We eat Hamburger Helper on occasion. I mix in canned vegetables too!

We always have:

frenched beans

corn

creamed corn

mixed vegetables

tomatoes - diced, crushed, sauce, rotel

chili

spinach

tuna

bamboo shoots

coconut milk ( You CAN make it yourself. It's cheaper and I've done it. This is much faster.)

green chilis

pumpkin

cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup (Yep, I feed this to my family too!)

corned beef hash

black olives

nacho cheese

fruit

Don't worry, I've got you beat. We eat Hamburger Helper on occasion. I mix in canned vegetables too!

The only reason I don't use hamburger helper, is because my husband grew up on the stuff due to having two parents with crazy work hours. He's asked me to please never make that or spam, because he had "more than his fair share" growing up. LOL

Well less than I used to since dd is allergic to citric acid and can't eat pineapples, mandarin oranges, tomatoes etc.

beans

tuna

sardines

some other vegetables but family prefers Frozen but I want it for emergency reasons

some soups but less than we used to since dd's allergy

canned apricot and peach nectars= one of the very few juices dd can drink

I think that is about it for actual canned. Other things are in bags or boxes.

Canned goods on a reg. basis:

sliced stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce

beans; black, garbanzo, great northern, black eyed peas, ranch or chili beans, refried

jalepenos (dh eats them w/ everything)

Pumpkin (puree, not pie stuff!)

Jars or Cartons:

pickled beets,

spaghetti sauce (Newmans)

organic chicken broth

pickles

peanut butter

Occasionally:

green beans, peas, corn... though I prefer frozen or fresh

fruit- peaches, pears, mandarin oranges, applesauce

soups- (tomato, [organic carton for gf dd], vegetarian veg. or chicken soup)

chopped green chilis

pimento

olives

tomato paste

Jar of honey (we get it from mil's neighbor)

LOL My grandmother ate them all the time. I was an adult before I realized you could get beets that weren't pickled.

Both my grandmothers did too. I could be wrong...I think the reason that they were pickled was because back then women canned a lot of their own foods. Beets are low acid so adding vinegar and making them pickled increases the acidity and makes them safer to can.

I love beets, the regular un-pickled kind :)

Canned goods we keep:

Beets

Various beans

Tomatoes if I run out of home canned

Soups & fruit randomly

Pumpkin filling

I am sure that there are other things I am forgetting, but those are the main ones.

Tuna

beans(kidney, 6 bean salad,chick peas, regular ol' brown etc)

tomato (sauce, paste, diced, crushed etc)

soups (by the case, though I generally make homemade, having canned chicken noodle or veggie that the kids can make themselves is handy, and the cream soups for my casseroles etc)

evaporated milk, I prefer this to powdered in my cooking, and seldom keep regular milk in the house)

jam & peanut butter are in jars not cans but same deal

Apple sauce

Occasional things: pie filling, especially pumpkin, fruit(rare to buy it but the kids love fruit cocktail on occasion), pickles