Menu

What will you do to kick off the Christmas season?

Ghee

I think we are going to get our tree tomorrow. I'm hoping to get up early enough to tidy up the living room and start setting out decorations. I thought we might try to make cookies and watch a Christmas-y movie tomorrow night, as well. Maybe hot chocolate? I really need to get "in the spirit"... I'm looking for ideas.

Tonight we watched the first episode of The Simpsons (Santa's Little Helper). It was the kids' first Simpsons.

That's as Christmassy as I get until after DD the Elder's birthday next month. We don't even get a tree until the weekend after. The kids, however, watched a Christmas Story last week. DD the Younger assured me that it wasn't "because it is a Christmas movie," but rather "because it is a good movie," so it's all good. :D

We might go get a tree tomorrow; otherwise we'll go next Saturday. The kids are singing at Church on Dec 2 for the 1st Sunday in Advent and we'll get into full swing then--Advent wreath, nativity scene (we found some devotions to coordinate putting various pieces out each week of Advent), etc. We also celebrate St Nicholas Day.

We got our tree set up and the kids decorated it. Looks Great! Far cry from the first time they decorated our tree. LOL

Sorry, we did NOT put up our tree three times. Not sure what I did to post this three times and can't figure out how to delete 2 of them so......

By the way I am tired enough to have put it up three times. LOL

We watch "It's a Wonderful LIfe" on Thanksgiving evening. :-)

This morning when I got up, I replaced the Harvest-y wreath on my front door with the Christmas one. Mr. Ellie has most of the outside lights up, and I've started the decorations inside.

We spend Thanksgiving weekend putting up Christmas stuff. That way we can enjoy everything for the whole month, no matter what happens with our time. :-)

I'm not sure when we will put up the tree. We are in the middle of kitchen renos and as a result, our living room is in major upheaval. There is no room for the tree right now. I want to do something different for Advent this year. I will be using the characters in our nativity scene to count down the days until Christmas. I will put a gold star down for every day until Christmas so when a day goes by, Mary will move on to the next star until she gets to the manger. I also have count down boxes. I string these boxes on a string. In each box is a candy for each child plus a suggestion for an activity for that day, for ex. make a gingerbread hous, make cookies, watch a Christmas movie, go skating, etc. These things will have to do until we can get that tree up.

We put up decorations and the tree today. It was one the best years because we now have a teenage dd who is sooooo moody. Today, though, she was all smiles and played with her favorite decorations along with her little sister. She was also open to many hugs. It was seriously awesome and I feel blessed. Both dds will be out on their own before I know it, but it was nice to see the holidays bring back the little girl in them both. I feel very Christmasy!!

The kids & I listened and sang to Christmas music while decorating the house indoors. We put up the tree & the stockings too!

"Jingles" our elf on the shelf has just arrived and the kids are sound asleep. Boy will they be tickled to know he returned! We just adopted him last year. The kids were wondering where he was because he arrived wrapped at the front door right after Thanksgiving dinner last year. This year he arrived with the holiday decorations! Next Saturday the kids & I will begin Truth in the Tinsel.

I've got all the gifts hidden as best as I can. I will begin wrapping soon as I need to inventory what I have & what's left to make/purchase.

This weekend I need to sew patches on all the AWANA vests for my son's Cubby class then I'm free to begin sewing Christmas items! :) Ohhh and we'll be making apple cinnamon ornaments this year! We make them only once every 3-4 years. I'd like to find the time to make some every year or 2.

Got our tree today (well, technically yesterday). I have all presents wrapped, all stocking stuffers sorted into bags, kid nativity out (needa put my big one up), and dh has outside full of lights. I've also bought and wrapped all my Mom's gifts for her, and bought her a tree.

All there is to do now is wait on the granddaughter to arrive sometime mid-December...

I'm buying burlap, holly, and fresh rosemary to wrap my presents with: http://www.motherearthliving.com/your-natural-home/holiday-gift-wrapping-ideas.aspx I'm not a Martha Stewart type, so this is pretty radical for me.

I'm giving friends genuine Provençal soap from France. It's a luxury I buy for myself once a year.

DH and I are using any excuse to drink hot mulled wine in the evenings. Cheapest wine we can find + mulling spices + sugar.

We read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol aloud every year.

We see The Nutcracker at the local theatre.

We're atheists and we don't do Santa, so that just about covers it. We might do some volunteering, but I haven't decided where.

My husband is usually the one to set up our tree but with being in S. Korea our oldest daughter and her BF plan to do it instead. The littles and I will get the fun job of putting on the ornaments.

So far I've set up the Christmas book basket and we've watched the Veggie Tales St Nicholas DVD. I've pulled out our Christmas decorations and my younger daughter and I have been placing them around the house.

We picked out our ornaments for this year (to go in St. Nicholas stockings) yesterday, but that'll be about it until Advent starts next week. DH and I did watch part of Love Actually after the kids went to bed.

During the week, I'll wrap 24 of the Advent/Christmas books and put the rest out in baskets. Saturday I'll get out the Advent wreath, the spiral, and we'll start building our Lego Christmas set.

My oldest has his first piano recital next week too (holiday themed) then it's the Christmas Pageant 12/16, and we can put up the tree!

Excitement is building here, but the season starts slowly as we ease our way into Advent.

We went to our small town's 48th annual Christmas Parade last night. DD participated in it by walking one of the collies for the dog training club. Aidan did not participate because he would have had too good of a time and disrupted everything. The town's new and only police dog was in the parade -- everyone enjoyed seeing him.

I've started playing Christmas music, and will start baking today. Next weekend, we'll decorate for Christmas, and the weekend after that, the boys will chop down a tree. This year, I think I'll assign putting the lights on to the kids -- they can look up how to do on Youtube. I better tell them soon, just in case they finally agree with me that having an pre-lit artificial tree is a great idea.

I really miss the Christmases when my kids were young. I bought a card table from Amazon yesterday. I am going to put a Christmas jigsaw puzzle on it, and hope it attracts the kids (and not the dog).

Nothing until Saturday.

Then, I'll set up the Christmas countdown calendar (not really an Advent calendar because it starts on December 1 regardless of when Advent starts), arrange the nice Nativity on top of the piano, set out the kids' Nativity for youngest son to play with, and set up the Advent wreath. We'll also start playing Christams music.

The tree won't come until much later in the month, because I love real trees but have a hard time keeping them fresh for very long.

This year I started shopping just before Thanksgiving. Last night I started wrapping gifts and the kids knew. I keep all of the gifts in the closet until Christmas Eve but the family is now in holiday mode since they know I'm active in something Christmas related. Most of us agreed to wait until Dec. 11th to put up our tree. Ds16 didn't vote because he is totally indifferent. (has Aspergers and a very laid back approach to gift giving holidays)

I guess our first official family activity will be beginning the Lego and Playmobil Advent calendars on Dec. 1st. Apparently everyone agrees that tradition must prevail. We all really enjoy building those scenes throughout the month. :tongue_smilie:

We don't really do anything until really close to christmas. We generally put up a tree and decorate around the 17th of December, but I might put it all up on the solstice this year as I think dh is home that day for his first day of holiday and he can be involved for once. He is generally working a little later and isn't home until I've decorated everything. It would also be cool thing to do to mark that solstice.

Our town has a Dickensian Evening on friday which is very seasonal but the weather has been dreadful the last couple of weeks, I am not convinced it will happen if it's still so stormy.

Waiting until this weekend to put up the tree and a few decorations. Not planning on going nuts this year with the decor. Will do cookies and fruitcake mid-December. Stockings won't go up until DH arrives mid-December as they are with him on another continent.

Like some of the pp, we wait until it's almost Christmas before putting up a tree. But we observe Advent with an Advent wreath, and we also celebrate St Nicholas day. After Christmas, we celebrate Epiphany/Tree Kings' day, so it is a long season for us.

If I get organized, I will try to do a Waldorf Advent Spiral. This will be new for us. If anyone has done this at home, I'd love to hear about your experience.

DH and I always do the bulk of our Christmas shopping on Black Friday. The kids stay at the inlaws overnight giving DH and me Thanksgiving evening until whenever we are done without the kids. We people watch, make a few purchases, eat breakfast at a restaurant, drink copious amounts of coffee, and giggle a lot.

We leave our tree up all year (don't judge) but we change the ornaments for the season so when we get home from shopping we decorate. We always get the little foil chocolate ornaments and candy canes and pull out the "real" ornaments as well and let the kids have at it. They also make a tree topper each year although this year so far we have nothing.

DH got out all our Christmas stuff from the attic yesterday and I got out the books and CDs. We'll take the week to decorate our house, since Advent doesn't actually start until next Sunday. I'm re-arranging some things and refreshing our decorations a bit. We get a real tree so we'll wait on that for a couple of weeks.

The season's activities start full blast next weekend here: concerts, parties etc.

Like some of the pp, we wait until it's almost Christmas before putting up a tree. But we observe Advent with an Advent wreath, and we also celebrate St Nicholas day. After Christmas, we celebrate Epiphany/Tree Kings' day, so it is a long season for us.

If I get organized, I will try to do a Waldorf Advent Spiral. This will be new for us. If anyone has done this at home, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Sounds like we celebrate similarly! We do St. Nicholas on the 6th, and the 12 Days ending with an Epiphany cake on Jan. 6. (Ack! Which reminds me I need to think of Epiphany gifts!)

Anyway, we have an Advent Spiral! We don't do much associated with it since our prayers/readings go with the Advent Wreath, but we love moving Mary and Joseph closer on their journey, and the sight of all the candles lit as Christmas approaches is beautiful. I have a picture from a few years ago here: http://thisordinarytime.blogspot.com/2009/12/midway-through-advent.html

We will kick off the season on Dec 1. We have stollen for breakfast and hot cocoa. We celebrate advent nightly and have services twice a week. We also have an advent calendar filled with annual activities and such. My dd dances in the Nutcracker every year so we have a busy time with that. It's a busy but realaxing month.

Today we took our annual trek to the Christkindlmarket in Chicago - and that's how we start our season. The kids choose an ornament, we eat potato pancakes and drink hot spiced cider from a ceramic boot, the kids buy their favorite treats, and they get to speak German all day. They love it!

Well dh closed the pool today. WE still have marigolds, zinnias, petunias, etc. blooming nicely here. I am going to start baking tomorrow. I will also start writing holiday cards. WE don;t get a tree until much closer to Christmas. I will be getting Poinsettias sooner. I also am going to make holiday menus and for once, order food early in December. We eat fish on Christmas Eve and I always have a problem locating enough. I have decided I will be calling Publix fish counter and asking to put in an order of the fish I want in the quantity I want. I also have to decide whether we will have ducks or a goose for Christmas Dinner. I know it will be later since my son will be working Christmas Day. We do our bigger celebrarion on Christmas Eve so we are hoping he is not working that night.

Well dh closed the pool today. WE still have marigolds, zinnias, petunias, etc. blooming nicely here. I am going to start baking tomorrow. I will also start writing holiday cards. WE don;t get a tree until much closer to Christmas. I will be getting Poinsettias sooner. I also am going to make holiday menus and for once, order food early in December. We eat fish on Christmas Eve and I always have a problem locating enough. I have decided I will be calling Publix fish counter and asking to put in an order of the fish I want in the quantity I want. I also have to decide whether we will have ducks or a goose for Christmas Dinner. I know it will be later since my son will be working Christmas Day. We do our bigger celebrarion on Christmas Eve so we are hoping he is not working that night.

I'm fighting the urge to put up our tree.

The idea of a mth of chasing baby, dog and cat away from it is enough to make me curl up in a corner and rock myself.

My parents put the Christmas tree in the play pen. Of course, that was back when play pens were much larger than pack 'n plays.

My sister and I worked a craft fair on Saturday, so we put the tree and decorations up on Sunday. Ds1 was so excited and kept saying how festive our house looks. It was cute. I will give them their chocolate advent calendars on Saturday, which to them is the real start of the season. Chanukah is less than 2 weeks away now, so we got all that stuff out, too.