Menu

HPV for boys?

My younger ds, 15yo, had his physical today. His male doctor recommended HPV vaccine. I turned it down today but will look at the scientific data to see if he should get it next time as well as consider it for 18yo ds .

If you vaccinate, will you give your boys HPV? And have you look at the data?

None for both son and daughter. Terrible side effects documented. No way for us!

Major news report here on a group of incapacitated girls, a couple now in wheelchairs. No way on this one.

I don't do new vaccines anyway. If it isn't proven over a long period of time to have minimal side effects, I'm not interested.

I'm another pro-vaccination person who has an indefinite hold on this one. If I were to have them get it, I'd have both girls and boys get it, but what long-term data out there is sketchy at best for efficacy, and the documented side effects are mounting. Even my children's pediatrician has backed off of recommending it, though they have it available in the office upon request.

We usually vaccinate, but this is the one I am for now refusing for my DD: it is still too new, there are bad side effects, plus the whole huge advertisement campaign pushing a new vaccine does not inspire my confidence.

If I don't get it for DD, I surely won't get it for DS.

I will wait and see how the information develops when the vaccine has been around for a longer time.

No way!

I read recently that there is evidence that it passes the blood brain barrier where it can cause cerebral vasculitis which may be fatal. Many of the reported side effects following HPV are indicative of cerebral vasculitis. These include intense persistent migraines, loss of consciousness, seizures, tremors and tingling, muscle pain, locomotor abnormalities, psychotic symptoms, and cognitive deficits.

You can read the research paper I got this from here.

Could you provide a link?

Here is the youtube video of one of the reports I saw on television, and I think I saw one or two others. That was enough for me. You can disregard a couple of anecdotal reports, but when hundreds arise, I'm listening, especially when contradicted by those with financial interests in promoting whatever it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vzBVYF4-c

Combined with the information another poster included about this issue below, that was enough for me.

http://sanevax.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Tomljenovic-Shaw-Gardasil-Causal-Coincidental-2167-7689-S12-001.pdf

Edited by TranquilMind

Guest inoubliable

Pro-vax here. Pediatrician recommended it in the early summertime. He gave his own 12 year old twins the vaccine. DS12 has had the first of three, and scheduled for the next two before the end of the year.

Here is the youtube video of one of the reports I saw on television, and I think I saw one or two others. That was enough for me. You can disregard a couple of anecdotal reports, but when hundreds arise, I'm listening, especially when contradicted by those with financial interests in promoting whatever it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vzBVYF4-c

35 million doses.

18,000 reactions

Only 8% serious - none proven to be related to the vaccine when investigated (although I believe that has changed since that report)

Not exactly overwhelming evidence your link.

All medications and vaccines have the potential for reactions.

My younger ds, 15yo, had his physical today. His male doctor recommended HPV vaccine. I turned it down today but will look at the scientific data to see if he should get it next time as well as consider it for 18yo ds .

If you vaccinate, will you give your boys HPV? And have you look at the data?

Given some of the horrific side effects that have been noted (my cousin's daughter had one), I think it would be reasonable to allow your child to make the decision for him/herself at age 18, so they take responsibility for any negative health implications that could occur. Latest one I read about for girls is premature menopause leading to infertility. Of course these side effects are rare, but all too real for the young people experiencing them. Also I think the research and safety measures taken on behalf of this particular vaccination have been inadequate. (One of the women who was a developer of this vaccine has stated this)

In general we vaccinate, but the HPV, no way.

35 million doses.

18,000 reactions

Only 8% serious - none proven to be related to the vaccine when investigated (although I believe that has changed since that report)

Those are pretty low numbers for reactions. Our pediatrician highly recommends the vaccination. I did substantial research from reliable sources, and agreed. So did the boys, so they have both had two out of the three, and will finish the set shortly. For both their protection and that of their future wives.

There are just way too many problems surrounding this vaccine. We're not there yet (although they recommend for as early as age 11!). We will not be getting it when we get there.

^^ this!

Our doc never even mentioned it at their last check ups; she was 10, he was 15. If I am asked at the next check up, the answer will be no on both counts.

~coffee~

NO WAY. And this may be the splitting point for leaving our docs office and finding a new one. I've been able to hold off the nurse on the CP vax but if she keeps hounding me about CP and HPV I'm going to leave the practice. And what gets me is its the NURSE, not the doc.

I selectively vax, the doc is fine with that but the nurse has some massive attitude. Ugh.

No to hpv.

My boys are 11 and apparently due for vaccinations at our last visit this visit. Due to my boys seizure history, I was uneasy. Yes, they had all vaccinations up until this time, and I don't want to make this a debate about vaccinations. I came across this during my research and this literally made my stomach turn. These were links posted in regards to the HPV vaccine specifically.

http://www.citizen-times.net/archive/article/?id=71631

http://www.boston.com/business/healthcare/articles/2010/05/03/nm_woman_sues_alleges_hpv_vaccine_hurt_daughter/

35 million doses.

18,000 reactions

Reactions that were documented. Remember, most are dismissed up front by doctors as they "could not possibly be from the vaccine, because vaccines are safe".

Unless parents know to document their own reactions in the proper places, then doctors rarely report reactions because almost none will state that it is a possible vaccine reaction. The pressure against this stance is too great. So these are 18,000 reactions that we know about.

Yes, of course all medications and vaccines have potential for reactions, but this particular vaccine has a troubling history and the evidence is growing. Merck is being sued right now in Australia in a class action over this vaccine. Merck paid out billions for the Vioxx debacle, by the way, so it is no stranger to getting product on the market and sold and worrying about liability later. You can't sue and win in the States because of the vaccine liability shield law.

You roll the dice the way you choose, and I will roll the dice the way I choose. This one is a no here.

Here are a few more videos here.

My boys are 11 and apparently due for vaccinations at our last visit this visit. Due to my boys seizure history, I was uneasy. Yes, they had all vaccinations up until this time, and I don't want to make this a debate about vaccinations. I came across this during my research and this literally made my stomach turn. These were links posted in regards to the HPV vaccine specifically.

http://www.citizen-times.net/archive/article/?id=71631

http://www.boston.com/business/healthcare/articles/2010/05/03/nm_woman_sues_alleges_hpv_vaccine_hurt_daughter/

Interesting.

Love this, from the second article:

Cossette Wheeler, a University of New Mexico microbiology professor who helped develop and test Gardasil, said there's no evidence suggesting deaths or injuries among girls who have received it are attributable to the vaccine.

"People develop seizure disorders out of thin air -- young kids, old kids, everybody," she said.

Right. Every day random teen girls become debilitated for no apparent reason right after this particular vaccination. :001_huh: Note the money phrase in bold. No bias there!

NO WAY. And this may be the splitting point for leaving our docs office and finding a new one. I've been able to hold off the nurse on the CP vax but if she keeps hounding me about CP and HPV I'm going to leave the practice. And what gets me is its the NURSE, not the doc.

I selectively vax, the doc is fine with that but the nurse has some massive attitude. Ugh.

No to hpv.

Have you told the doctor that the nurse is harassing you about this?

Unfortunately, this is the wave of the future. Peds are booting patients who make their own decisions on these things left and right for "noncompliance".

Lots of women wait for marriage and still contract an STD or HIV. Waiting until marriage really only protects the partner of the virgin, once s/he becomes sexually active. One remains vulnerable to STDs because one is dependent on the actions and health of others.

As an example, I know someone who had an HIV test, and had her fiance get an HIV test, before marriage, who then contracted HIV from her husband. She is a very religious person and was not sexually active outside of her marriage, either before or during.

It's one thing to oppose the vaccine, but I am not a believer that being religious automatically provides a shield from all harm.

Haven't read through the whole thread, not going to. But the few I did read talk about the side effects of now. This vaccine targets the female reproductive anatomy right? My daughters aren't getting it, nor my son, until there are LONG term studies showing that it will not effect their fertility or that of their daughters.

I have a friend whose mother had horrible morning sickness. There was a drug at the time considered safe for that. Daughter (my friend) has a T shaped uterus and had 3 or 4 miscarriages. At least 2 of those were so bad she needed blood transfusions because she hemorrhaged so badly. You can say it's not the drug her mom took, but I still wonder.

The woman who developed Gardasil is pretty clear, actually, that it is most effective in populations with high cervical cancer rates.

80% of cervical cancer occurs in the developing world.

So therefore the number of women in the US with cervical cancer doesn't have much reducing to do.

That doesn't mean it's a useless vaccine.

Many women in the world never get pap smears, either. There is a HUGE room for improvement.

According to the CDC,

Cervical cancer used to be the leading cause of cancer death for women in the United States. However, in the past 40 years, the number of cases of cervical cancer and the number of deaths from cervical cancer have decreased significantly. This decline largely is the result of many women getting regular
which can find cervical precancer before it turns into cancer.

In 2008, just over 4000 women died of cervical cancer in the US.

Compare that with women worldwide

http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/cancers/cervix.asp