Menu

How do you identify yourself?

I'm just curious to know what labels, affiliations, achievements, etc. form the basis of your personal identity--that is, how do you think of yourself beyond the individual? For example, I think of myself as a child of God, as a mom, as a Mormon, as a homeschooler, and as an American (in roughly that order). I know people who have strong identities attached to their profession, to education, to hobbies, to race or ethnic groups, political persuasions...I think there are a lot of possibilities.

So, how do you identify yourself?

Some of the things that pop into my head about myself, in no particular order:

Christian

Funny

Photography enthusiast

Outgoing

Smart

Frugal

Cautious

Oddly, I don't think of myself as a mother or homeschooler, even though those two things take up most of my life right now. I am those things, obviously, but for some reason, I don't think of those as who I am, rather as things I do. Sometimes I wake up a little shocked to see kids running around my house and realize, "Whoa! I'm their mother! How did that happen?"

When I first read this I was thinking about when I introduce myself to someone new. Usually it is "Hi I'm Brandy, A's mom" (or C's, or H's etc)

To answer the actual question.

Hmm, let's see

Brandy

mom

boss

chauffeur

maid

chef

teacher/homeschooler

sister

daughter

asylum inpatient

zookeeper

family historian

Christian

all round "bad guy"

exhausted

*****y nice person (those that know me get how those 2 things can be in the same label)

There is more but that are what comes to mind first

A walking contradiction.

A recessive gene depository.

Mom

The person with the worst eyesight in the family, but the only one who can see the mess and chaos.

Family prioritizer, scheduler, and secretary.

Debater

Coach

Life Instructor

Tied to my computer

Independent

Athlete

Seeker

Christian

Loner wanting desperately to fit in.

Needing a vacation.

Scrapbooker without time.

Overworked and underpaid.

Christian, Orthodox

Mom & Wife

Business Owner

Inventor of new business ideas

Lover of study, especially religion and human behavior

Lover of music and art, especially religious music and art

Lover of words, especially ancient sacred texts and books

Edited to add...funny I didn't think of homeschooler when I was listing these things. I think homeschooling is an outpouring of the things I love/am.

Progressive

Humanist

Researcher (paralegal-turned-homeschooler, researcher at heart and in practice ;))

Crafty- Crunchy- Musical Mom

Personal Assistant to the Current Household Breadwinner

Wife

Daughter

Friend

(Homeschooling just kind of fits in somewhere between researcher and mom. Everything else I could say fits into the "Crafty-crunchy-musical" part. :D)

Edited by Element

Jesus follower not easily pegged into any mainline denomination.

Pianist/Classical Musician

Wife

Mother

Teacher - currently manifesting itself in homeschooling

Science Freak

Mother of the Bride - still adjusting a little to that monniker

4-H leader

Guidance Counselor

Cook - OH I WOULD GLADLY GIVE THAT UP!!!!!!!

Quilter

The funny thing is that I was raised in a very patriotic home but "American" didn't come to mind when I was thinking about the OP's question. Hmmm....puzzling. My poor, poor dad...he'd be appalled that American did not make the list. Good thing he doesn't frequent the internet. :lol:

Faith

funny, i was thinking about this rather recently - i used to identify with so many things, but thinking about buying a t-shirt with a slogan and there is virtually nothing I want to label myself with

tired old hippy

uptight analytical

accidental homeschooler

but the t-shirt i think i might want is the one that says "insanity doesnt run in my family, it gallops". tho there WAS one that said "my mom is weirder than yours" that my kids thought was great, but then they stopped making it.

I'm just curious to know what labels, affiliations, achievements, etc. form the basis of your personal identity--that is, how do you think of yourself beyond the individual? For example, I think of myself as a child of God, as a mom, as a Mormon, as a homeschooler, and as an American (in roughly that order). I know people who have strong identities attached to their profession, to education, to hobbies, to race or ethnic groups, political persuasions...I think there are a lot of possibilities.

So, how do you identify yourself?

I'm a person.