Menu

Anyone else annoyed with Breast Cancer Awareness?

Please keep in mind that my mother is a breast cancer survivor, so I'm not coming into this opinion without an understanding of or sympathy about the disease. I just am tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE. Do we not have other diseases or problems in this country that need more publicity than they are getting?

I feel that all these companies that put it on their products are too afraid to say no to it because they will come off as not caring about women's health. I'm to the point that I don't want to even buy something if it has it on it. My husband is watching football and showed me how it's on there, too.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ohmy:

I mean no disrespect to you, but I fear survivors, families of survivors, or families who lost a loved one to breast cancer may feel an entire range of emotions by reading this, and may not agree.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and you're allowed to voice it, and maybe I'm wrong?

I feel the same way you do. And I feel guilty, but there it is.

Just today I was in a battery/light bulb store buying a battery and while I was checking out, I glanced around. And saw... are you ready for this?... a (very expensive) PINK based CFL light bulb. :001_huh:

I think what started as a good idea has just gone so far overboard that it's causing many people to block it all out and I find that to be such a shame.

I went into a coffee shop the other day and the ENTIRE store was about breast cancer awareness. I just wanted a cup of coffee, KWIM?

And why is it that during the entire month I never hear about breastfeeding reducing the risk??

I mean no disrespect to you, but I fear survivors, families of survivors, or families who lost a loved one to breast cancer may feel an entire range of emotions by reading this, and may not agree.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and you're allowed to voice it, and maybe I'm wrong?

I think it's totally ruining what could be happening, though. They have commercialized it and are making profits off of people's tragedies. That seems to me to be the worst kind of exploitation.

I think what started as a good idea has just gone so far overboard that it's causing many people to block it all out and I find that to be such a shame.

:iagree: Exactly.

It is sad, but I am kinda' burned out on the whole thing.

I think it's totally ruining what could be happening, though. They have commercialized it and are making profits off of people's tragedies. That seems to me to be the worst kind of exploitation.

Well.... You are right, they are making money off of people's tragedies. But isn't it the same with heart disease?

I don't know..... Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. When I see all that stuff my mind goes to those I have lost to cancer, although not breast cancer.

And those of us who have family members who have battled other types of cancer can "may feel an entire range of emotions" at the great emphasis given to this one type of cancer. (I've lost an aunt to breast cancer and my dad and another aunt to leukemia.)

Well.... You are right, they are making money off of people's tragedies. But isn't it the same with heart disease?

I don't know..... Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. When I see all that stuff my mind goes to those I have lost to cancer, although not breast cancer.

No, I'm glad you said something. I don't want to come off as not caring. I do care, but about so many more things than just that one disease. I have a nephew with severe epilepsy and mitochondrial disease. My mom has an auto-immune disease and suffers from small vessel disease in her brain which is causing it to deteriorate. I have a benign tumor called a schwanoma in my sinuses right now and will get test results next week to see if I have others in my head. My in-laws have some serious eye problems to deal with.

I'm glad that we raise money to help do research and care for people. I just want it to be for the right reasons and for lots of diseases.

Yes, I'm tired of it. I refuse to buy "pink". I also refuse to "support" any other medical "research" (yeah right!) campaigns. The money is in treatment, not the cure. Therefore we will never "find the cure", or at least, it'll never be released to the public. Can you imagine how many 100's of thousands of people would be out of jobs, from the lowest of low on the totem pole mail room person in the ACS offices all the way up to the docs, pharmaceutical researches, pharma bigwigs, etc.

This is my opinion. I'm not going to change it, so there is no reason to try to reason with me. While I do enjoy a good debate when I'm in the mood, tonight is not one of those times.

I went into a coffee shop the other day and the ENTIRE store was about breast cancer awareness. I just wanted a cup of coffee, KWIM?

And why is it that during the entire month I never hear about breastfeeding reducing the risk??

:iagree: I honestly feel it's exploitation. I can guarantee a ridiculously tiny amount of that money from sales actually goes towards cancer prevention.

:iagree: I honestly feel it's exploitation. I can guarantee a ridiculously tiny amount of that money from sales actually goes towards cancer prevention.

:iagree: That's my complaint as well. Someone behind the marketing is making a lot more money than is being raised for the actual cause.

It doesn't bother me.

My mother was a breast cancer casualty.

I am undergoing treatment after my early diagnosis in May and three separate surgeries.

It doesn't annoy me. I'm not on every bandwagon but I do think bringing awareness encourages screening. Early detection saves lives.

Mine does too, and that's why it bothers me so much. It's not the only cancer, and it isn't the only cancer that needs awareness. The cancer my mother died from will never be researched. I have friends and family who have died from various cancers, and they deserve the same amount of consideration for finding a cure. I also have friends and family who are bre@st cancer survivors. I don't mean any disrespect to those who have lost someone to this cancer. I just wish the research and funds were spread a little more evenly.

Great question. I think it's for two reasons. One, people want to feel like they are doing something for their loved ones who have already been diagnosed. Two, it's the same thing with all of the "oh, if only they had done X differently" that we see on this very board when tragedy strikes a person. People don't want to believe it can happen to them.

I tend to agree. And my sister is fighting breast cancer. That's exactly why I have a problem with it.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I do find it annoying.

Mainly it annoys me because of the whole 'awareness' thing.

People put some line on their Facebook status or buy a drink with a pink label, and think that's wonderful because they're raising awareness. But why do we need all this awareness? 99.9% of the population is already aware. When will it be time to stop working on awareness and start working on actual prevention, treatment and support for people with breast cancer?

Instead of copying the latest sexual innuendo Facebook meme (back when I was on FB, it was "I like it on the floor/table/bed" - yeah right, that tells you a lot about breast cancer, not!), try taking some real action on this important issue. Check your breasts regularly. Remind you mother, sister or best friend to check hers. Teach your adolescent daughter to be comfortable about her developing body so she will notice if something is wrong and not feel uncomfortable to consult her doctor. Breastfeed your baby, or encourage a new mother to do so (both being breastfed as a child and breastfeeding your own children reduce your risk). Work on your diet and lifestyle to become healthier and less stressed, or help others to do so. Donate some time or money to cancer research or a breast cancer support group.

The other thing that annoys me is how some business jump on the pinkwash bandwagon and exploit customers' desire to help. Apparently there are companies that only donate the tiniest amount of money but get much more worth of publicity.

Edited by Hotdrink

I honestly feel it's exploitation. I can guarantee a ridiculously tiny amount of that money from sales actually goes towards cancer prevention.

This is how I feel as well. I have never felt inclined to part with my money for any of those marketing schemes.

I don't know that pink ribbons make a difference in awareness among women who should get mammograms etc. I think there is plenty of information out there year-round about breast cancer. As others have said, I'd rather focus on finding a cure for the more fatal types. And also, regarding cancer screenings in general, there ought to be more sensible rules for coverage. So for example, if it runs in your family, you don't have to jump through hoops to get a screening. So you don't get a huge bill after your aborted colonoscopy because it was an "elective" procedure. :glare:

My mom had colon cancer pretty bad. She most likely had it for 10 years before she got her first colonoscopy at age 60. Despite her age and symptoms, her doctor never suggested that she get a colonoscopy; it was my sister who brought it up. So it isn't just breast cancer that needs some help with awareness. You'd at least hope doctors of older patients were aware of who should get screenings for all of the common cancers.

I had the same feeling tonight when dh was watching football! I was irritated because we act like breast cancer is the only malady that needs "awareness" and funding. I believe it has plenty of awareness. How about we give some awareness to some other diseases? My FIL died from pulmonary fibrosis, which kills as many people every year as breast cancer, but it gets no awareness and no funding. There are at least hundreds of other conditions that could use all this corporate sponsorship, but I feel like some marketing guru at the breast cancer place is hogging all the funds for their one cause.

It just bugs me. And it definitely bugs me that it's almost trendy to support it. What about the other diseases?!?

:iagree: It feels icky to me. Like companies are trying to profit from other people's suffering and pain. "Look how aware we are. Look how concerned we are about women's health. Buy our product!" Maybe if I thought it actually accomplished something, but right now I feel like I'm being beat upside the head with it for no other reason than consumerism.

Edited by DianeW88

I actually wish the funds were for ALL cancer.

If that were the case, it probably wouldn't irritate me. As it is, I feel like it is chic and trendy and "in" to be all about "pink."

If awareness truly IS the goal, then why aren't we making young women (early teens on up) aware of the astounding affect breastfeeding has on breast cancer?

(Ftr, a very dear *young* friend of mine is a breast cancer survivor and I am *so* in awe of her courageous fight!!! She is a hero! But this whole pink scheme is nothing to do with *her.* :( )

I get a twinge of annoyance, but it's just jealousy. When your child has a disease that you'd happily trade for cancer just because cancer is 'sometimes' survived, it skews your outlook on lots of things. I WISH Muscular Dystrophy had the same level of treatment and public visibility.

I'd never say anything about it IRL, and I do donate when I can, but I don't buy stuff with pink ribbons on it.

My FIL died from pulmonary fibrosis, which kills as many people every year as breast cancer, but it gets no awareness and no funding. There are at least hundreds of other conditions that could use all this corporate sponsorship, but I feel like some marketing guru at the breast cancer place is hogging all the funds for their one cause.

It just bugs me. And it definitely bugs me that it's almost trendy to support it. What about the other diseases?!?

Because lungs and other organs just aren't as sexy as breasts, duh! Which is a whole other level of ickiness, and to be honest I believe it is an insult to people battling cancer.

Breast cancer is NOT sexy folks!

Here is an illustration. I am linking it instead of putting it in my post as it is VERY GRAPHIC.

Edited by Hotdrink

It doesn't bother me.

My mother was a breast cancer casualty.

I am undergoing treatment after my early diagnosis in May and three separate surgeries.

It doesn't annoy me. I'm not on every bandwagon but I do think bringing awareness encourages screening. Early detection saves lives.

:grouphug: Best wishes for a full recovery.

No, it doesn't bother me.

If that were the case, it probably wouldn't irritate me. As it is, I feel like it is chic and trendy and "in" to be all about "pink."

If awareness truly IS the goal, then why aren't we making young women (early teens on up) aware of the astounding affect breastfeeding has on breast cancer?

(Ftr, a very dear *young* friend of mine is a breast cancer survivor and I am *so* in awe of her courageous fight!!! She is a hero! But this whole pink scheme is nothing to do with *her.* :( )

:iagree::iagree:

I never knew it was until AFTER my kids had all been born (youngest was 6 months).

I would have been MUCH more likely to try it if they had presented that sort of fact to me - not silly things like 'You'll lose the weight faster.' :rolleyes:

When it originally started women health, women working, women getting respect was still kinda of stuck between 2 generations.

I know this from starting my nursing career in 1991. I had old school doctors attitudes about women and how they treated us nurses. Then of course the men our age grew up in the post women rights era

I still know of several men in the 60+ ages that are against women working etc.

So the whole concept of a women's (almost) only cancer was kinda of part of the women right campaigns. The whole pink think is kinda of outlived its necessity along with a lot of other of the women rights era

we are equal and we get equal medical care. we are not ignored anymore

but keeping the women's fight mentality going keeps it an issue for money makers and political IMO so you will continue to see the pink exploited

I think you will be seeing an ovarian cancer month in the making. They have the whole wearing purple for ovarian cancer. They encourage us to do this a work.

I get a twinge of annoyance, but it's just jealousy. When your child has a disease that you'd happily trade for cancer just because cancer is 'sometimes' survived, it skews your outlook on lots of things. I WISH Muscular Dystrophy had the same level of treatment and public visibility.

:grouphug:

Honestly? I think too many men get a kick out of raising awareness to "save the ta-tas". Because of all this awareness, it is now completely acceptable for our local bowling alley, right across the street from the middle/high school, to put up a huge "Bowling for B**bs" sign. What about prostate cancer? Where's the awareness for that? Does it have something to do with the screening process? What about brain/ovarian/colon/lung cancer? Are those "less cool" than breast cancer?

I am truely thankful that women are no longer made to feel ashamed to talk about breast cancer, but there are tons of diseases out there that deserve research money. B**bs aren't the only parts of the body affected by cancer.

Yes, I'm tired of it. I refuse to buy "pink". I also refuse to "support" any other medical "research" (yeah right!) campaigns. The money is in treatment, not the cure. Therefore we will never "find the cure", or at least, it'll never be released to the public. Can you imagine how many 100's of thousands of people would be out of jobs, from the lowest of low on the totem pole mail room person in the ACS offices all the way up to the docs, pharmaceutical researches, pharma bigwigs, etc.

This is my opinion. I'm not going to change it, so there is no reason to try to reason with me. While I do enjoy a good debate when I'm in the mood, tonight is not one of those times.

This is my main objection too.

From Mother Jones magazine: New energy might, for example, persuade the board that it's time to change the balance between money spent on treatment (7%), screening (15%), research (24%), and "education" (34%). Two decades ago, it was of utmost importance to get women to get over the fear and the shame and into the doctor's office, to go public with scars and wigs and hot flashes. But mission accomplished, Komen. Now it's time to put more weight into stopping the disease before it starts. Dig deep enough into Komen's financial statements, and you'll find that of the 24 percent they spend on research, only 15 percent goes to explore how to prevent the disease.

Yes and no. Both of my grandmothers had breast cancer. One is a survivor and the other died from breast cancer. So genetically, I am at a higher risk, and am therefore very personally interested in a cure.

I support events that raise money for breast cancer research and I especially support events that empower survivors and give them a way to fight back against this awful disease. My Survivor Grandma is very active in these types of events and I will always support her in them. I occasionally buy pink ribbon type merchandise, especially if all proceeds go directly to the research organizations.

However... I do get annoyed by the corporate sponsorships, where there is little evidence that they are truly moved by the cause and are more interested in getting folks to buy their product because they are going to make a *fully deductible* donation to a charitable group. No, I don't want to save my foil lids from my yogurt and mail them in, just make your donation already! As if they are really going to count the lids mailed in- what a waste of time! My five year old's football team had "pink out" last weekend, and they all wore pink arm bands and had their hair sprayed pink which seems a bit ridiculous to me. Surely it's cool because the NFL does it, but my five year old doesn't even know what breast cancer is! We did have a bake sale at the game and raised $181 to donate to Komen, so that was good. But my kid's pink hair doesn't make anyone more aware of anything, IMO.

And yes, I do think the emphasis on breast cancer is unfair to those suffering from other diseases. Although breast cancer has great affected our family, so has leukemia, lung cancer, heart disease, diabetes, pulmonary embolisms, and osteoporosis. Close friends have dealt with cancers of the prostate, pancreas, ovaries, brain, skin and stomach as well as metabolic disorders, MS, lyme disease, Alzheimer's, and many, many more. It seems to me that it would make more sense to have a month or two a year that promote awareness and fundraising for different diseases each year. I mean real promotion like the Think Pink campaign, not just designating a week. That is fundraising and awareness promotion I could really get behind.

Because lungs and other organs just aren't as sexy as breasts, duh! Which is a whole other level of ickiness, and to be honest I believe it is an insult to people battling cancer.

Yep!:iagree: I think this is exactly what it's come to.

One year ago I lost my dad to bladder cancer and my stepmom to lung cancer within 33 days of each other. Where's the campaign for those?

Please keep in mind that my mother is a breast cancer survivor, so I'm not coming into this opinion without an understanding of or sympathy about the disease. I just am tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE. Do we not have other diseases or problems in this country that need more publicity than they are getting?

I feel that all these companies that put it on their products are too afraid to say no to it because they will come off as not caring about women's health. I'm to the point that I don't want to even buy something if it has it on it. My husband is watching football and showed me how it's on there, too.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I am glad that there is a growing awareness of breast cancer and am happy that more dollars will be funneled into research. Whatever personal annoyance I may sometimes feel about marketing techniques can be set aside where there is a positive involved.

scrappyhappymama: However... I do get annoyed by the corporate sponsorships, where there is little evidence that they are truly moved by the cause and are more interested in getting folks to buy their product because they are going to make a *fully deductible* donation to a charitable group. No, I don't want to save my foil lids from my yogurt and mail them in, just make your donation already!

Right. I deliberately do not participate if it is actually a marketing tool disguised as altruistic. If I wish to support something, I do it directly. And so should these corporations, without drawing all sorts of self-aggrandizing attention to their good works.

I've heard the whole phenomena being referred to as "pink washing". This month all my prescriptions have pink tops. I'd rather the money spent to make them pink be spent on research.

This.

You're definitely not the only one. I refuse to buy anything "pinkified."

Have you seen this website? http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org

And please do this. Although slightly long, I really think that the doc

is something that everyone should see. I'm sure the ideas are similar for many fund-raising awareness issues, but it really raised some interesting points about what it means to have breast cancer, and the culture that goes along with it.

And, like usual, it is so amazing to know that there are other people out there, real people, who have a similar opinion. Because sometimes, I sure feel alone in a situation like this :grouphug:

Actually I was just feeling the same way yesterday. I came across another PINK product that was just crazy - can't remember what it was - a lightbulb or something lame and they were everywhere. Honestly - who doesn't know about breast cancer these days.

I wish they would start raising awareness for some other disease -there are plenty to choose from.

Equal opportunity for disease awareness I say :lol:

I haven't seen much fundraising activity over here, but for breast cancer awareness month they have free screenings at local hospitals (and give some free mammograms and discounts to everyone else), and a sewing day where people volunteer to meet and make pillows and bags for breast cancer patients. Oh, and I did see a building the other night when we were driving home from Dubai that had the pink ribbon in lights on its side...

This is my issue. Time and time again, these organizations have been shown to give very very little to any actual research. It should be illegal bc the amount, if any, compared to their claims borders on fraud imnsho.

I've heard the whole phenomena being referred to as "pink washing". This month all my prescriptions have pink tops. I'd rather the money spent to make them pink be spent on research.

I'm seriously ticked bc my HOA pink washed our neighborhood entries. I'm sorry but they don't speak for me and I'm not interested in supporting causes I don't agree with.

And I refused to accept my pink cap on my meds yesterday. I don't care if they do think I'm a witch for it.

And I swear I'm earning time off of purgatory for not smacking those wearing "save the boobs" or "I heart boobs" stuff. It seriously makes me mad to see those. How insensitive can they get to wear that knowing the women needing the most support and help no longer have their boobs?!?! It is not about saving boobs. It's about saving the LIFE of the woman! (and some men too for that matter!)

We would do so much more to reduce breast cancer if we encouraged breastfeeding and many other things. But buying pink? Wearing some idiotic pink bracelet? There is so little of that actually going to research that it serves no legit purpose to do it.

And yes, I've lost family to cancer. It sucks. Seeing this stuff just adds insult to injury.