• Dog
    • Cat
    • Bird
    • Fish
    • Lizard/Snake
    • Hamster/Guinea Pig
    • Turtle
    • Other

My dd5 and I are working on graphing the type of pets people have for our study of Clifford the Big Red Dog. Normally, this is supposed to be done in a classroom, but since everyone in our classroom has the same pets ;), I was hoping you guys would help us out.

Please choose the type of pet/pets you have (this is my first poll so hopefully I can get it right!). If you choose Other please let us know what pet it is so we can add it to our graph.

Thanks in advance!!!

I voted dog. Now I have to know what do you feed a praying mantis and how long do they live? In the future I hope to keep frogs.

We found a really large Chinese Mantid in our yard in August. It will live until fall/winter outside. I think we might get a few more months since it is indoors. Right now, we catch moths at the porch light or beetles. I did buy crickets at the pet store when we had some rainy nights and couldn't catch anything. She made an ootheca. We won't know if the eggs are fertilized until we see hatching. I think I am going to chill it so that it won't hatch until spring.

For a few weeks we had a second praying mantis (also found in our yard), after that one made an ootheca, I had the kids release it. It has stayed on the same plant in the garden, so we have seen her daily.

I have found forums on captive mantises. You can order live ones from many species. I was thinking it would be cool to have an exotic one, until I saw that shipping was $30 for overnight.

Our other is hermit crabs (3).

Total, we have a dog, a cat, 2 zebra finches, 4 parakeets (plus 6 parakeet eggs due to hatch any day...although I think only 4 are fertile), and the 3 hermit crabs. My mom thinks I'm nuts, but I remind her I wanted to be a zoologist in high school and college. :lol: