Menu

How much personal pocket money do you use?

How much 'pocket money' do you have per week (US dollars)?  

1. 1. How much 'pocket money' do you have per week (US dollars)?

• 0-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • More than 30
    • Other

Poll is anonymous. Please include non-essential clothes (essential is replacing worn out clothes or equipping for some new situation - moving to a different climate, for example), general money spent on self (coffee shop, book shop, etc.) but not the amount that you use for buying gifts. Don't include grocery spending either, even if it includes some non-essentials. And don't include homeschooling items. Arbitrary categories, I know, but I had to come up with some kinds of rules.

This came up because there's an annoying habit that the whole family needs to break. Years (yes years) of exhortation has not solved it, so I finally decided on fines. Calvin and Hobbes are fined around 2.5% of their pocket money initially, but the fines double for every new infringement. Then I had to work out how much I would contribute (all proceeds to charity) based on a figure for my 'pocket money'.

ETA: following Regentrude's good question: this is the money you actually spend on non-essentials for yourself, not what you potentially could spend.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I do not even understand the question. What do you mean by personal disposable income?

Any money I actually do spend on myself?

Any money that is left over after essentials that I could spend on myself? Any money that is left over after essentials and after retirement savings, college savings and emergency fund? Any money left over if saving for replacement of car and home maintenance is included?

Money left over from my own income, or from both mine and DH's income?

How does it count if DH and I eat out for lunch during our work day instead of packing something from home? Is that "pocket money" or "household expense"?

I have no idea what to answer.

I do not even understand the question. What do you mean by personal disposable income?

Any money I actually do spend on myself?

Any money that is left over after essentials that I could spend on myself? Any money that is left over after essentials and after retirement savings, college savings and emergency fund? Any money left over if saving for replacement of car and home maintenance is included?

Money left over from my own income, or from both mine and DH's income?

You need to define the term.

Good questions. The money you do spend on yourself each week.

Laura

Good questions. The money you do spend on yourself each week.

Does it count that we buy lunch?

Or really just frivolities.. like coffee drinks, magazines, entertainment, "want"-clothes....?

I sing in choir and pay dues once a year... but they count as a charitable contribution. Count or not?

Depending on how I look at it, my answer can vary between 0-5 and 30+.

Dh and I each get $40/cash/week for those little things like picking up a beverage while out, lunch for just me if I'm with friends, things like that. I probably spend $25-30 on non-school books a month, mostly purchased online, so not out of the weekly cash. All homeschooling expenses are considered essential so I wouldn't count anything from that, plus that's not money spent primarily on "me". Clothing varies so much, but I really wouldn't count it as non-essential.

Edited by CathieC
Saw clarification on what counts.....

I have a hard time teasing out what is spent on JUST ME. Even if I just buy myself a drink at Target while shopping around, the kids share it too. Of course, I don't need to buy that drink, but it's a treat. So do I count that? I hardly ever have ANYTHING that is just MINE and not shared with the kids or my husband. Obviously, I don't mind sharing. :)

Usually my treat is a family treat.

We went to a cash only system recently and I don't have a category named 'pocket money' or anything like that. We have categories for eating out/family entertainment. That's $100/month for our family, so my portion would be like $15. I spend money on myself for haircuts, toiletries and clothes but those are considered needs. I'm not sure if that answers the question, but there it is.

I don't really understand the fining system you're planning to use. :tongue_smilie: For myself, it varies widely. In terms of actual cash I spend on myself, it could be a couple of dollars for a drink when I'm out, or it could be boots from Zappos on a credit card that I didn't strictly need, but wanted. :tongue_smilie: It might average out to $20 or so a week, but really, that is a complete stab in the dark because it just depends on what we're including.

The only thing I ever buy myself "just because" are the rare occasional latte or baked goody or Payday bar. Certainly less than $10/month.

Considering that I daily wear clothes with holes in them and eat mostly leftovers, I ought to get a credit for the "essentials" that I don't buy, which would bring my "pocket money spending" to a negative number. Right?

The only thing I ever buy myself "just because" are the rare occasional latte or baked goody or Payday bar. Certainly less than $10/month.

Considering that I daily wear clothes with holes in them and eat mostly leftovers, I ought to get a credit for the "essentials" that I don't buy, which would bring my "pocket money spending" to a negative number. Right?

Too late for the poll though.

Laura

I said 25 but it would be really hard for me to calculate. I buy a coffee drink once every few weeks and a sweet at work a couple times a week. That would be about $10.

But I do like the luxury of picking up some fast food on occasion for my convienience not need, so I guess that would count. I could take my lunch to work but buy it out instead. I probably spend $2 a day more on buying out than the cost of me making something.

More likely though, I put my spending money into buying things for redecorating the house, buying an extra clothing item I don't really need, or splurging on a the kids.

DH and I each get $100 each month to spend as we wish but I spend most of my money on homeschooling stuff.

Same here, but I do budget homeschooling supplies separately. He mostly spends his on eating out for lunch at work. Mine usually goes to a nice lunch by myself once a week and maybe a book or a shirt or something like that.

I have a soda 2-3 times a week, and a coffee about every two weeks. DH buys me chocolate bars occasionally - not sure if that counts, since I'm not actually choosing it, but it's certainly discretionary. If I happen to see a book or item of clothing I want while thrift-storing, I'll get it, but this doesn't happen often, and the clothing at least would pretty much fall into the necessity category.

When I have money to spend from gifts or whatever, it very often ends up being spent on the kids/homeschooling stuff. At this point in my life, I'm perfectly happy with that :)

Well, I spend about $100 USD a month on pedicures and my hair. The occasional coffee or lunch with friends... Maybe another $10 USD. It's hard to really say, though. Sometimes I won't spend anything else on myself for a while but then I will buy a new purse or some clothes or a book... Maybe an average of $150 USD a month?

Well, I spend about $100 USD a month on pedicures and my hair. The occasional coffee or lunch with friends... Maybe another $10 USD. It's hard to really say, though. Sometimes I won't spend anything else on myself for a while but then I will buy a new purse or some clothes or a book... Maybe an average of $150 USD a month?

I hadn't even thought about my hair...... Dh croaks every six weeks when it's time for the coloring job and cut. Six weeks is the longest I can go in between colorings.... If I averaged it out, that would add another $20 to the week.....

If we are on a normal budget month, Dh and I budget $25 a month for each of us in our "Blow Money" category a la Dave Ramsey. That $25 can get spent on whatever we want. Mine usually goes to fast food (I hate cooking), books, craft supplies, decorative items for the house, or extra clothes. Dh's usually goes for coffee, extra k-cups, coffee, or running gear. I already have a budget for education, clothing (though not very much), and hair care so I only use my blow money for those if it is something that I want over and above the other budget. If we have a tight month (and we do about 4 months of the year), our blow money either gets dropped or down to $10 a month.

So ours would be about $6 per week.

We have the "blow"money category too. I get $10 a month and DH gets $20 (since he is out and about more and things come up at work where he will end up going out for a meal). But for me this typically is for treats when I'm out. But the catch is it also has to cover anything fun for the kids as well. There is no money budgeted for "we were out and the kids got hungry" so either it comes out of my blow money or they wait till we get home. I've gotten very good and estimating how long we will be out and plan snacks/meals to take along as needed.

I hate shopping, I can't imagine buying new clothes, purse or what "Just because", so if those things are bought it comes out of the clothing (or whatever is appropriate to the item) since they will only be bought when the old item is broken or beyond repair (I'm on my 4th purse in 23 years if that tells you what I think of these things).

Anyways, many months I don't spend anything, and save up my money for something fun, a field trip (sadly there is no budget for these either), or maybe lunch out (typically Pizza Hut because I can use book it coupons for free food for some of the kids).

Every year for my birthday and Christmas, my in-laws give me cash. This is my only "me" money for the whole year. Even some of that goes towards family stuff I want (like a yogurt maker I bought, or my Ergo).

If you take all that stuff out, I've spent about $30 on myself this year for things that fall under the restrictions.

Hmmm... my only true non necessary indulgence is WoW and that's $16 a month plus the cost of the game. I did indulge in a set of silicon bra inserts (i.e. falsies) for $20 off amazon. What a disappointment! I am so small-booked, that even with those suckers in, I still look flat chested.:glare:

I'd say I average $10 a week though my upkeep can be pricey. I blast the AC, buy separate groceries and cook separately for myself, wear disposable contacts, etc..

I don't spend on a regular basis but I will buy myself things occasionally. Usually it's just books, or lunch out. Usually it will happen when dh takes the kids away for the weekend and I have the free time to go out by myself. This past weekend I bought two books and a magazine at Barnes & Nobles, picked up a bunch of junk food at the grocery store, sometimes I'll order Chinese food. Most of my discretionary spending ends up being stuff for the kids - either school stuff or just things I think they'll like.

If you use your credit card to buy yourself a diamond ring, that would be 'pocket money': money spent on personal non-essentials.

Laura

Thanks for the clarification. I don't keep track of how much money I spend, but am I the only one here who was expecting the numbers to be a lot higher? :confused:

If I only spent $30 a week on personal non-essentials, my dh would wonder who I was and what I'd done with his real wife. :tongue_smilie: I shop a lot, both online and in stores, and I also eat out a lot, so it adds up pretty quickly, and I can guarantee that my dh, ds, and I all spend more than $30 each. The amount varies from week to week, I guess, but unless one of us is sick, we're usually out of the house every day, and that means we're spending money. (We're not the "go hang out at the park" people, so we're usually shopping, eating, or going to some sort of museum or other attraction, and all of that costs money.)

(We're not the "go hang out at the park" people, so we're usually shopping, eating, or going to some sort of museum or other attraction, and all of that costs money.)

We do those things to but I interpreted to be things I did without a family member...

We do those things to but I interpreted to be things I did without a family member...

Good point, Cathie -- I feel a little more frugal when I take out the non-essential family activities! :tongue_smilie:

I was thinking about it a bit more, though, and I know we still spend more than $30 each on "stuff" each week. We really do shop way too much. But $30 doesn't go very far -- a couple of lip glosses at Sephora and I'm already over the limit.

Good point, Cathie -- I feel a little more frugal when I take out the non-essential family activities! :tongue_smilie:

I was thinking about it a bit more, though, and I know we still spend more than $30 each on "stuff" each week. We really do shop way too much. But $30 doesn't go very far -- a couple of lip glosses at Sephora and I'm already over the limit.

I do too...

I actually had DH institute "Reader's Allowance" as a budget line/category so that he & I would both know exactly what I'm free to spend; this was at my request, not from any control issue of his at all.

Anyway, once I convert Brazilian Reais to US Dollars, then divide my monthly allotment into weekly, it equals to $15/wk. Aside from when we go to the US, it's plenty of money for me. In the US, I always wish I didn't have that pesky conversion to do.....

I do not really understand the poll. I get about $400 in cash a week that I spend on whatnots, eating out, or whatever. I am not sure if any of that is essential vs nonessential.

:)

$400 just for you? Or does this include the whole family eating out?

I'm not really sure how to answer. I don't really buy non-essential clothes, shoes, jewelry, purses, makeup, etc. I do sometimes buy things for the house (we recently redid the girls room and I bought a poster and a frame and new curtains). I'm not sure if that would count towards my expense, since I was the one picking the stuff out. My 3 and 7 year old girls weren't really asking for new curtains, kwim?

I occasionally buy a coffee or coke for myself. I usually go with a friend once a week to fast food with a play place for the kids... so, again, not for me exactly... but it also is more expensive than me fixing sandwiches and saves me the work!

So, items exclusively for me? Usually $10 or less a week. However, occasionally something big is thrown in there... like a camera... but I would typically only ask for something like that once a year or less and put birthday money towards it as well.

It helps to not like shopping or most stuff...

Maybe an average of twenty dollars per month? I spend much more than that. Much more. But the categories you don't want counted exonerated me of most of my personal spending. I bought my first new pair of shoes in two years last month. I needed them, though, because my slip ons weren't giving me enough support when I was unpacking and setting up house. I spend an exhorbitant amount of money on homeschooling. I buy myself stuff at the grocery store that I share with the kids and dh but I buy it for me. I visit friends just because and that takes gas, but I don't think in terms of that being spending money. I buy things for the kids that they don't need. I might spend $500 dollars of discretionary money a month - yesterday we went to the museum, tomorrow I'm buying a birthday gift for a friend, next week I'll buy a birthday gift for a nephew, my oldest is going to need a few pair of jeans soon and the boys might, too, etc.

The only money that I spend specifically on myself- not including clothes -is the money I spend on books. I might buy 2-3 books for myself per month. I will get a fountain drink once or twice a month if I'm out and about.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't keep track of how much money I spend, but am I the only one here who was expecting the numbers to be a lot higher? :confused:

If I only spent $30 a week on personal non-essentials, my dh would wonder who I was and what I'd done with his real wife. :tongue_smilie: I shop a lot, both online and in stores, and I also eat out a lot, so it adds up pretty quickly, and I can guarantee that my dh, ds, and I all spend more than $30 each. The amount varies from week to week, I guess, but unless one of us is sick, we're usually out of the house every day, and that means we're spending money. (We're not the "go hang out at the park" people, so we're usually shopping, eating, or going to some sort of museum or other attraction, and all of that costs money.)

Yes! Thank you! I was thinking that I must be misunderstanding this question because $30 seems really, really low to me. Sometimes maybe I only spend $30 or so on miscellaneous items a week (when I have the flu or something or am otherwise incapacitated:lol:), but other weeks it would typically be much more than that.

Oh, DH would think the same thing about me if I only spent a few dollars a week. Actually, he would probably think I was depressed or dealing with my SAD and drag me out to treat me to something. ;)

We're not the "go hang out at the park" people, so we're usually shopping, eating, or going to some sort of museum or other attraction, and all of that costs money.

See, for us all of that is budgeted separately. We have categories for eating at restaurants, for family entertainment, clothing, home maintenance and shopping, etc. Our $100 per month is truly blow money, money that we don't have to call each other up and agree on before it's spent.

Since I'm at home with the kids most of the day, I don't have a wide range of things that I spend my money on. Before we started budgeting this, I would get really annoyed when my husband would spend "our" restaurant money on eating out with friends at work and so forth. This way, both of us can have our personal mini-budgets for the month without any irritation.

I haven't read all of the replies:

Dh and I each get a "mad money" allowance each month. That money is to spend on whatever we want. Both of us usually save it up until we really want something. Neither one of us is a spender.

I answered 0-5 even though I could spend more than that if I wanted to do so.

Assuming you mean money for truly miscellaneous spending, I'd have to answer 0 to 5, although that's misleading I think.

Financially I could spend much more than that if I wanted. DH and I have never had the need to put ourselves on a "fun money" budget because we're both minimalists. We totally don't get shopping as a leisure activity. If there's something we need or want (within reason) then we get it. But we just don't have a lot of "wants." I do read a LOT, but I have no trouble finding plenty of free books for my Kindle. If I didn't have it, I'd spend a lot more per week.

It's interesting to see how people are dividing into opposite ends of the spectrum.

I really hate shopping. If I really liked it, I'd probably be at the higher end of spending.

Also, as a single mom, I take my kids to stuff like concerts when I go. So where some of you might consider that personal spending on yourself, I'd consider that a family expenditure primarily for my kids.