Menu

I have to tell a family their 18 year old is dying

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh. How heart breaking. A good translator is a must. Will the translation be in person or via telephone/audio only?

Yes, but over the summer I've found one I think is very careful and calm and works well with this family. He is familiar with the story.

And now I'm up with the first nightmare I've had in years: that a beloved cat got sucked down a storm drain. "Going down the tubes". It doesn't take Freud to figure that one out.

:grouphug: So sorry you're having to do this, k.

That family won't need a translator to understand your compassion. They may not be ready to process all you have to tell them today, but they will be grateful it was you that took care of their son.

Thank you for your work. You're doing good stuff.

Yes, but over the summer I've found one I think is very careful and calm and works well with this family. He is familiar with the story.

And now I'm up with the first nightmare I've had in years: that a beloved cat got sucked down a storm drain. "Going down the tubes". It doesn't take Freud to figure that one out.

thinking of you & this family and praying this morning.

i hope you were able to get back to sleep and get some rest.

:grouphug: :grouphug: And some more :grouphug:

I don't tell him these things. He can't even stand to be in the room if someone has a headache. Some people are freaked out by illness.

I wish I knew what to say to the family. I have called them several times, but they never ask about prognosis, although I've given them hints that brain cells cannot grow back ... they are in the "bargaining" stage. Their son needs them to move on because they are going to have some decisions to make about medical intervention: how much and for how long.

Oh K, I'm so sorry about that. I have a ritual for DH with this type of patient now. I make his grandmother's butterscotch oatmeal cookie and the kids "hug attack" him until he at least smiles.

I usually get up with him in days like this and make sure to hug him hard on his way out the door. I wish you were closer so I could at least make you brownies or something. :(

Did you get any rest?

Did you get any rest?

Yes, and now I'm off a bit early to try and call them before the father goes to work. I know my partner there, a psychiatrist who has a boy this age, is going to be in need of comfort, too. A lot of our patients eventually die, but not on our ward. Staff is being really great, despite the injuries involved. I really admire people who can be calm and caring after being spat on and worse while changing diapers.

Everyone hug their babies today, no matter how old they are.

Everyone hug their babies today, no matter how old they are.

Well, it was an all day affair, I missed lunch, and I'm hoarse from talking to doctors, nurses, families, medical directors, my boss, social workers, and nursing directors, but the patient is moving to a much more appropriate ward with quieter patients and a very caring staff. About as good as I could reasonably expect when I left the house today.

Well, it was an all day affair, I missed lunch, and I'm hoarse from talking to doctors, nurses, families, medical directors, my boss, social workers, and nursing directors, but the patient is moving to a much more appropriate ward with quieter patients and a very caring staff. About as good as I could reasonably expect when I left the house today.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I hugged my baby extra today.

:grouphug: Keeping you in my thoughts.