Menu

Will your children know how to iron clothes when they get older?

Do your kids/Will your kids know how to iron their clothes?  

1. 1. Do your kids/Will your kids know how to iron their clothes?

• No - I don't even own an iron.
    • Yes - They will continue to show up crisp & pressed.
    • It's up to them; I don't want to force my ways on them.
    • They can have everything dry cleaned if they want pressed & crisp.

I'd have to buy an iron in order to be able to teach my daughter how to iron...and I'm not sure I want to spend my curriculum money on that! ;)

In all seriousness, it's probably a skill that parents should teach at some point, but I haven't ironed anything since I quit my job to be a SAHM 7 years ago.

Err...my kids know how to spray something with water and put it back in the dryer for a few minutes. Does that count?

Nice. I think I might use this strategy with them!

We are a pretty iron free household. I use the iron maybe once a month.

Thus far, it has not really seemed wise to trust my amazingly clumsy older son with a hot plate of metal. So I have no idea when or if he will learn. I basically only iron napkins and a few shirt collars/fronts. None of my kids' clothing needs ironing. None. Maybe that will change as they get older?

I don't iron; I don't sew. I can, but I don't. About four years ago, ds asked me if ironing and sewing were the same thing. He'd only seen hem pants with the tape you iron on.

Last year, we had to buy an ironing board. Ds now needs to iron all of his uniform stuff for Civil Air Patrol. He likes ironing.

Our oldest daughter (who is sixteen) irons her own clothes when appropriate. She will also sometimes help me or her dad out and iron for her siblings. She started ironing when she was eight or nine in the context of learning how to sew and needing to press seams as part of the process.

Mine both know how to iron and do. They started b/c of needing to look neat and pressed for dog shows. They iron before church sometimes too, but only if the clothing really looks wrinkled.

Oddly, Ds has started ironing things on his own. Often I think they look fine, but they apparently don't measure up to his standards. :001_huh:

Yes, I think all boys should learn how to iron their own clothes so they can be like my dh and not make their wives do it.

:iagree::hurray: Bravo to all male ironers and their moms who taught them. Dh taught himself.

My older 4 all iron their own clothes (when wrinkled, not before they put away clean laundry). My youngest ds won't wear something if it is the least bit wrinkled, but of course, he's too young to iron. I usually have his older brother iron it for him :001_smile:

My kids have all started learning how to iron. Mr 9 and Ms 7 iron Daddy's shirts, while Ms 4 irons handkerchiefs. We don't actually do much ironing at all - the kids and I dress super casually unless it's a wedding/funeral/etc - but I think everyone should be able to press a shirt reasonably neatly if they need to.

We don't iron *a lot* by any means. Seriously, as a kid, I ironed jeans and t-shirts. Now, I'm fine with the "touched up in the dryer" look. But we do dress a couple times per week and as necessary iron for that. BTW, many times, I figure that dried and hung up is good enough for a boy's shirt if he is wearing a vest or jacket over it. So we aren't ironing tons. Most of my shirts don't require ironing. DS17 irons his own clothes. DD19 less often. 10 seems like a good age to learn for the rest of them.

My dh irons EVERYTHING! So it will all depend on who they take after. :D

Everyone in our family knows that if you need something ironed you give it to Dad. I do not want to think about an iron in the hands of my twins!!!!!

Don't know if my boys know how to iron. Dd does because she sews. I guess I forgot to teach ds18. He leaves tomorrow for college, so I guess it is too late.

We should make a thread entitled, "things Dirty Ethel Rackham probably forgot to teach her son," then you can wake him up and teach them really quick. :lol: he would be soooooooo...GRATEFUL!! :smilielol5:

I voted that we don't even own an iron...it was stretching the truth a bit, but I did use it once in the last 10 years and the kids all stood and stared, wondering what it was.:001_huh::lol:

I do keep the iron around b/c I do sew and occasionally need it, but it has been ages. We moved in Dec and the ironing board still has packing tape around the legs...