Menu

Ongoing prayers for Jean in Newcastle, please

I talked to Jean just now. She sounded chipper. I asked if she was in pain, and she said no, because she was on drugs. I asked if they were of the herbal variety (:D:tongue_smilie:) and she said she'd taken the max dose of Aleve.

She told one of the other counselors this morning (she is at Bible camp) that she knew she was alive because she was in pain. She was in a ton of pain before she left. Hence, she needs ongoing prayers.

She got off the phone to go be a lifeguard for a bunch of kids who couldn't go swimming unless she did so. She said something about reminding herself about Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber.

But, you know, it's been a lot of years since we were a Veggie Tales family, and I have no idea what she means by that.

Thank you very much!

JoLuRu, she's at a week long bible camp with her kids, working as a counselor. She has various ailments, including fibromyalgia, and she had a flare-up a few days before she left. She is still in an immense amount of pain, although at the moment it has been conquered by Aleve.

Pain doesn't seem to stop Jean from overdoing things - she probably the least selfish person I know. However, in my experience with Jean, when she overdoes it, she pays for it by the next day. But tomorrow and every other day she is there, if Aleve isn't enough, the pain will not stop Jean from doing what she is needed to do.

So prayer is the only thing we can do to support her.

Edited by RoughCollie

JoLuRu, she's at a bible camp with her kids, working as a counselor. She has various ailments, including fibromyalgia, and she had a flare-up a few days before she left. She is still in an immense amount of pain.

Pain doesn't seem to stop Jean from overdoing things - she probably the least selfish person I know.

So prayer is the only thing we can do to support her.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully she's having a great time and taking it as easy as possible!

When I didn't see her Sunday Chat posted I wondered. I feel for her and will be praying. I have fibro flares too, but I don't often push through them like Jean. I pray that this time she will not pay so much for her selflessness.

She has various ailments, including fibromyalgia, and she had a flare-up a few days before she left. She is still in an immense amount of pain, although at the moment it has been conquered by Aleve.

I need to tal that woman into trying Cymbalta. I have Fibro and that one pill makes me almost human. I don't move like a 70 year old with bad arthritis anymore since I started that pill.

I talked to Jean just now. She sounded chipper. I asked if she was in pain, and she said no, because she was on drugs. I asked if they were of the herbal variety (:D:tongue_smilie:) and she said she'd taken the max dose of Aleve.

She told one of the other counselors this morning (she is at Bible camp) that she knew she was alive because she was in pain. She was in a ton of pain before she left. Hence, she needs ongoing prayers.

She got off the phone to go be a lifeguard for a bunch of kids who couldn't go swimming unless she did so. She said something about reminding herself about Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber.

But, you know, it's been a lot of years since we were a Veggie Tales family, and I have no idea what she means by that.

Thank you very much!

Ds says Larry is asked before every show to come out and make music for the kids. He complains and carries on. He finally comes out, for the kids. Go Jean! :D

I heard from Jean again last night (late afternoon, her time). Someone else came along and took the kids swimming, so she had a few minutes to rest.

She's there as a teacher, not as a counselor, but they let kids come to camp during the week, and they are getting a bit overcrowded. Probably need more counselors. I'm sure that because Jean is always willing, no matter what, that she is a go-to person when help is needed.

They have separate cabins for men and women (it's not a big place), so although her DH is there to teach, too, she doesn't see him very often because all the adults are always busy with the kids.

I read this entire thread to her, figuring it would encourage her. Don't get me wrong - she didn't sound depressed or anything. Although she might have been miffed after she talked to me. I'm like her personal mother hen interrogator (she call it nagging!) -- how have you been sleeping?, what are you eating?, are you getting enough protein?, are you taking breaks to rest?, are you remembering to take your meds and supps?, what are they feeding you?

Starr, thank you for explaining the Veggie Tales reference to me.

Elizabeth, I read her what you said about Cymbalta, and I encouraged her to look into it.

Kidshappen, I'll mention the Lortab and NSAIDs to her. Actually, I'll read her this thread from where I left off, if she calls me again.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

Rough Collie,

A word of warning about Cymbalta. It can have horrible side effects for some people, even though it works wonders for others. Side effects creep up slowly and are, at first, hard to distinguish from actual fibro symptoms. If you are one of those people who react badly to Cymbalta (like me), you may not know it until months down the road when all of a sudden the side effects that have been building suddenly hit you full force.

Of course, I had a Dr that was extremely invested in the idea that Cymbalta was going to work for me....so that added to my problem. He should have seen what it was doing to me. If Dh hadn't been there to tell me to "get off that drug!" I'm not sure what would have happened. I have a new Dr now. :D She keeps me far away from drugs like Cymbalta b/c of how poorly my body tolerates it, and she tells me my experience is not unique.

I know it can work wonders for some people. I'm not saying don't try it; just be informed and on the lookout for things that could possibly happen. Jean has probably read about my experience with Cymbalta, since I posted it before.

I so wish it would have been the wonder drug for me, but it turned into my worst nightmare ever with prescription medications and it is one of those drugs that has to be stopped gradually with terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Continuing to pray for Jean. We need a praying smiley.

Yes, we have a relative that committed suicide shortly after going on Cymbalta. So do be careful!

Yup. Another woman under my former Dr's care attempted suicide after he repeatedly pushed her to stay on Cymbalta. She ran her car into a tree with the kids in the back seat!

Jean says thank you for the prayers. She is out of the flare! She's still in her normal-for-her amount of pain (a dull roar), but max doses of Aleve are working.

I read her all your posts, and the first posts of a few threads, too. I posted her responses ... but you all post a lot of threads, and she didn't have time to be read all of them.

Thank you all for your prayers for Jean.

Jean says thank you for the prayers. She is out of the flare! She's still in her normal-for-her amount of pain (a dull roar), but max doses of Aleve are working.

I read her all your posts, and the first posts of a few threads, too. I posted her responses ... but you all post a lot of threads, and she didn't have time to be read all of them.

Thank you all for your prayers for Jean.

Yay!! I'm so glad she's doing better. :hurray: I've been praying for her everyday. :)

Ds says Larry is asked before every show to come out and make music for the kids. He complains and carries on. He finally comes out, for the kids. Go Jean! :D

Yes, this.

Bob: It's time for the theme song.

Larry: I don't wanna do that. I'll look silly.

Bob: It's for the kids.

Larry: Oh, all right.

For Jean. :grouphug:

I heard from Jean again last night (late afternoon, her time). Someone else came along and took the kids swimming, so she had a few minutes to rest.

She's there as a teacher, not as a counselor, but they let kids come to camp during the week, and they are getting a bit overcrowded. Probably need more counselors. I'm sure that because Jean is always willing, no matter what, that she is a go-to person when help is needed.

They have separate cabins for men and women (it's not a big place), so although her DH is there to teach, too, she doesn't see him very often because all the adults are always busy with the kids.

I read this entire thread to her, figuring it would encourage her. Don't get me wrong - she didn't sound depressed or anything. Although she might have been miffed after she talked to me. I'm like her personal mother hen interrogator (she call it nagging!) -- how have you been sleeping?, what are you eating?, are you getting enough protein?, are you taking breaks to rest?, are you remembering to take your meds and supps?, what are they feeding you?

Starr, thank you for explaining the Veggie Tales reference to me.

Elizabeth, I read her what you said about Cymbalta, and I encouraged her to look into it.

Kidshappen, I'll mention the Lortab and NSAIDs to her. Actually, I'll read her this thread from where I left off, if she calls me again.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

To the bolded above: you are a good friend to her.:001_smile: I hope she is feeling better!

Jean still has a couple of days to go, so please keep praying.

I'm a little worried about her diet there. She is so meticulous about what she eats (aside from pig heads), and camp food is not very healthy, IMO.

Okay, I don't get the pig head reference, but apparently it's funny. Can someone explain it to the ignorant Floridian please?? Use small words. :p