Menu

Please share your first read aloud of the year

creekmom

:lol: I just looked for the "Like" button! :tongue_smilie:

We just finished Dolphin Treasure last night. We started Flat Stanley today, but only because we are going to see the play soon, not because it is fabulous, high quality literature. After that, I think we are going to read Hundred Dresses.

For my younger 4 - Grandpa's Box. Next up will probably be D'Aulaire's Greek Myths.

For my older 2 - Silmarillion (oldest has read it several times.... we're reading it aloud so he can help his younger brother and me when we get confused - as we did several times trying to read it on our own. :D)

We've just read Detectives in Togas. The kids loved it. They are also loving the Ranger's Apprentice series.

My whole family is enjoying working through the rangers apprentice series. We are on book 6 and love that our dad reads in many different voices to us.

:bigear: for other good read alouds

Our bedtime read-aloud is The Story of the Amulet - we did 5 children and The Phoenix over the summer. Next we're diving into the Eager series.

For lit we are doing 20,000 Leagues under the sea (as a read aloud)

Miss P's first independent read is Calico Captive

We just got invited to join a book discussion group, and they are doing Middleworld. I'm not sure whether to join - the kids are somewhat older than Miss P is. And it's a loooong book. Have you guys read it? What do you think of it? Would it be a good read aloud, or ok indie read for a 5th grader?

We're starting in September. Planned read-aloud is The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Additionally, there are books for history, science, literature study...History: Famous Men of Greece

Science: Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way

Various short/picture books

Lit study: biography of C.S. Lewis; The Snow Queen; When the Sirens Wailed (for a general view of England during WWII)

Edited by momto2Cs

For my younger 4 - Grandpa's Box. Next up will probably be D'Aulaire's Greek Myths.

For my older 2 - Silmarillion (oldest has read it several times.... we're reading it aloud so he can help his younger brother and me when we get confused - as we did several times trying to read it on our own. :D)

We loved Grandfather's Box....even my bigger kids.

We are reading Lord of the Rings....my 8 year old insisted after I read him the Hobbit.

I expect it to be History of US and another US history book soon. Otherwise, finishing summer read aloud's of Through the Eyes of a Stranger (I read it to him), and Prydain Chronicles (he reads at least some to me).

I like this thread, and particularly because it has people with children of so many ages posting.

We're about halfway through Harriet the Spy. I promised the kids a read aloud that had nothing to do with American history. At some point in the middle of The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg, they really started to rebel.

I was going to hold off on Harriet the Spy or let it be independent reading in a year or so, but Mushroom actually took a tiny notebook to the playground by himself and took three pages (tiny pages, mind you) of spy notes on what was going on there - how many grown ups, how many kids, who was on what, what was going on... I promise, he had never heard of the book and Harriet's journal. So I was like, okay, clearly, we HAVE to read this next.