Menu

My horse was killed this morning.

Well, every day one more thing.

Only I have to say - today is the worst.

We woke up this morning and the dog was in the front yard. So we ran over to the gate - sure enough it was open.

Then we went looking for her. Each of us in our own direction. The neighborhood kids as well.

So I went back where I just rode rode last Sunday. No horse.

Went to the main road and and drove - no horse.

Turned down a side road and went through a HUGE puddle of blood. Saw horse poop and knew.

So then I went to the neighbor's house to use their phone - he's a sheriff and was on the phone already with animal control.

She was following the dog - crossed a main road - wandered around a bit - and on the return trip home she got hit by a van - van driver is ok.

But Missy had a broken leg and they to shoot her.

I am completely devastated.

We drove around all morning and finally found someone with a backhoe and a farm to bury her on.

So - I am planning my horse's funeral.

Oddly enough - this morning (before I knew she was gone) I saw her ghost in the back yard. I looked out the kitchen window - saw her - but then the image faded. So I just thought I was seeing things - until later when I knew she had passed.

Her body is at the pound - we have a tow truck bringing her to the farm. The tow truck people are doing it for free. And my friend who I babysat for when she was a kid works at a feed and tack store - she told someone what happened, how we are both unemployed, pregnant, and broke. And this guy gave her $100 so we could pay for the first tow truck who picked her up from the scene at about 3am.

The original tow truck secretary however is a nasty nasty girl! When I was on the phone with her - she said, "Someone needs to come down here this morning and pay the $118 for the tow!" HELLO! I am planning my horse's funeral! I swear I would knock her out had I been there in person!

But - the rest of the community has really supported us and I am feeling love from them. I just don't know how I am going to wake up every morning and see this big empty backyard. She was the best horse in the world and I was her cowgirl. And I feel so bad because she got out and it's our fault the gate wasn't better locked.

This is one of the worst days ever in my life. I loved that horse. She was sweet and gentle, and she loved me back. She knew I loved her.

And I loved her more than the dog, cats, and turtle combined. She was the easiest of all our pets.

Melissa Lily - Missy for short.

So in honor of my horse, a poem I wrote in January:

Melissa Lily

Loving a horse

means never again

lounging around all day in pajamas.

It also means

there is a soul

who will listen to you completely.

It means all of your "extra"

money, time, and energy....

are spent!

It also means

if you are really lucky

that she understands

a whispered, "Let's run."

Being loved by a horse

is extraordinary.

Oh Karen, I'm in tears. I'm so, so sorry. My sil had to put her horse (Nina) down the day after Christmas last year. We all loved Nina so much, all 4 of my munchkins rode safely on her back many times. I completely understand how devastated you are. :grouphug:

Horses must touch your soul like no other animal I think. I've never owned one, but as much as I love my own pets I can only imagine the love I'd have for a horse. You must truly be heartbroken.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences. I will remember you in my prayers today.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Karen, I am truly sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel right now, I lost my best friend, RJ, in a very tragic incident. That was 17 years ago and I can still remember that day like it was yesterday.

Many hugs to you.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

From one ponyhead to another.