Menu

Do you have one of those wooden play sets in your back yard?

We have one that we got from BJ's, and it's holding up really well as far as I can tell. I think we've had it for 3 years now. It was significantly less expensive to get it from BJ's than it was from anywhere else. My kids LOVE it. I love that I can send them outside to swing or whatever and they entertain themselves for an hour or so.

I didn't think we would get one, because we live very near to our neighborhood park, but once we decided to homeschool, I decided that I needed to be able to send the kids outside from time to time. It's been worth every penny.

It was about $700 on sale. That was 4 years ago.....it needs to have a sealant put on the wood (like you would do a deck) but it is in great shape. My dc are 14, 11, & 9 and they still use it almost everyday. Swinging, climbing, sliding, sitting out there to read a book, etc.... It was a great investment and lots of fun for them and their friends.

We got it from Sam's. Since we got it from Sam's, we didn't have any choices. I do wish we had gotten one that was more proportional to our yard. Our yard is tiny and the playset is huge. But, since our yard is tiny the playset really gives the girls a place to get their energy out.

My FIL just bought one for the kids, we're still looking for someone with a truck to bring it home. We chose the Trailblazer (Adventure Set) from Walmart, I think it's $399. The Rainbow ones are $1000 and up, ouch. We bought a metal set for $229 4 years ago and it started rusting so we wanted to go the wood route this time so we can replace the wood/hardware as needed more easily, we hope at least. Not to mention being able to take it apart to move!

Yes, we have the Rainbow, too. It was a very good investment! Our boys were always big and sturdy, if ykwim, so the build it yourself version they sell wouldn't have been sturdy enough. We've had it 6 years now, and there are always kids on it. Bil asked why we got one when there were two parks within walking distance; being able to send them out to play while I did something else, of course!! Just have to stain it once a year to maintain it. I'm figuring resale should be great, too.

We have a Rainbow, and we love it! We have three kids, and the youngest was just a baby when we bought it. The kids are on it every day in the summer, and a little bit in the winter. Youngest dd is just turning three next week, and she's just now starting to really get into it. We look forward to many more years of service. That thing is built like a rock!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's alot of money. Lowes has one for the same price with less stuff, but they come and set it up for you. THe Costco set comes to you in pieces.

My oldest is 10 and he still swings alot, so I think they would get tons of use out of it, but it seems like a lot of money. We have 5 b-days coming up, so we were thinking of doing it for those.

If so, was it worth the $$$? Man those things are expensive. Are you glad you spent the money? Where did you get it? Is it holding up? Thanks so much.

Dh and dfil constructed ours 11+ years ago and our kids thoroughly enjoyed it until we began to take it apart last fall for the move. Even at 15 and 11 yrs of age, they loved to go out there and swing together. They could go as high as they wanted without fear of tipping over! :D They enjoy it so much they want dh to reconstruct it here at the new place, even at their ages!

We have a rainbow one although we didn't pay for it. The people we rent from left it behind for us to use. It's definitely sturdy and I'd say worth the money. We also have one that we bought from Sam's club that has been dismantled and moved to my moms house and then reassembled for the few times we get to go back and visit (we live 1000 mi away) that one is also still very sound and was so worth it. My kid love them.

We bought our set when DCs were only 1&2y/o. It was a GREAT purchase for my children. They're physically pushing the limits and allowed them to safely have a place to do so. We disassembled ours two years ago, after 8 years of usage. The wood was beginning to split on a side beam. I would suggest buying a quality package such as Rainbow, if your children are young enough to warrant the expense and many years of play. Otherwise, buy the best wood available to ensure it lasts. Ten years ago DH built ours and it still cost us approx $800.

My dh built two of these, both Playstars from Menards, around $500 with the 25s.f. fort, rock wall, two swings, rings, and slide. It has been great. Took about 30 hours with cutting and drilling ourselves. He only needed another person to stand the fort up and then the A-frame. There is also a sandbox underneath.

We got it from Sam's. Since we got it from Sam's, we didn't have any choices. I do wish we had gotten one that was more proportional to our yard. Our yard is tiny and the playset is huge. But, since our yard is tiny the playset really gives the girls a place to get their energy out.

We have one from Sam's, too. It's 2+ years old, and it gets a ton of use. Worth every penny.

We have two. (I know it's ridiculous.)

One is a home made one with three levels that came with the house when we bought it.

The other one is a super duper one from Sams that we bought as therapy equiptment.

Then we added a hammock to round everything out.

They are worth every penny. All the kids from ages 1 to 14 play on them. It was worth giving up half the yard to give the kids their very own park to play in.

If so, was it worth the $$$? Man those things are expensive. Are you glad you spent the money? Where did you get it? Is it holding up? Thanks so much.

Is DH handy at all?

We bought a kit a Home Depot a few years ago. It came with the hardware and plans. We bought the wood separately and dh put it together. I think when it was all said and done it cost us about $600. He liked the kit because he got to make modifications that would help it last and we could shop around for the best price on wood.

It is about 5 years old now and is in great shape. It survived our move from NJ to PA 3 years ago. The kids play on it every day.

If you can swing the price, I highly recommend wooden versus metal.

That's alot of money. Lowes has one for the same price with less stuff, but they come and set it up for you. THe Costco set comes to you in pieces.

My oldest is 10 and he still swings alot, so I think they would get tons of use out of it, but it seems like a lot of money. We have 5 b-days coming up, so we were thinking of doing it for those.

If you can afford it, I would do it without a second thought, or guilt. Looking at the ages of your children, you have a lot of swinging years left! Those metal sets will not hold up to a large family and the weather - ask me how I know.:tongue_smilie: If we ever buy another set, it will be a nice wooden one.

We bought a kit a Home Depot a few years ago. It came with the hardware and plans. We bought the wood separately and dh put it together. I think when it was all said and done it cost us about $600. He liked the kit because he got to make modifications that would help it last and we could shop around for the best price on wood.

This is what we did, as well. We LOVE our playset. It get used multiple times every day. We've had it for 4 years and are still loving it.

It was about $700 on sale. That was 4 years ago.....it needs to have a sealant put on the wood (like you would do a deck) but it is in great shape. My dc are 14, 11, & 9 and they still use it almost everyday. Swinging, climbing, sliding, sitting out there to read a book, etc.... It was a great investment and lots of fun for them and their friends.

We bought the Home Depot kit and built it ourselves. I think ours cost $800. The price depends which accessories you want. I had considered the wholesale club set which my friends purchased but it seemed a bit rickety. The HD set is solid and well made. Ours is probably 6 years old and in excellent shape. It will probably still be around when my grandkids come to play :001_smile:

We bought a kit from Lowe's and put it up for our 15 y/o's third birthday. When we moved in 2005, we left it behind. The people who moved into our house are still using it.

Since we were down to only one child who really still used it when we moved, when we got here we just bought a cheap $150 metal one from Wal-Mart. It will work just fine until she outgrows it, but if I had younger kids, I'd definitely spring for the wooden set if I could afford it.

A hint when purchasing a Rainbow set--ask for a FLOOR MODEL. Sure the wood will be a little sun-faded (but that will happen anyway)! The cost was nearly HALF (and we talked them into free delivery/set up).

The one we chose had a swing chain length of 9ft. We have 2 teens and one 6yo--the teens spend more time on it that the little one!

We also spent about $600 more and build a raised 'play yard' filled with the tiny pebbles...our regular yard is 99% rock so we did this to prevent injury (it also helps with drainage--kids can play just after it rains without getting muddy).

We got one about 7 years ago and put a sandbox in the bottom. It still gets a lot of use. dd8 and ds7 like to take stuff out into the fort part and play house while ds2 plays in the sand underneath them. They all like the swings although the bar for the gym rings broke. The slide probably gets the least amount of use other than as a means of getting in and out.

We bought the one from Costco (it is Sunray Premium Playset by Rainbow) for $1300, 3 years ago (plus another $300 for our neighbor to assemble it). We just sold it for $750. Not a bad return on our money. I think we waited too long to purchase it (my youngest was 4), and so that is why we didn't keep it for very long...the boys lost interest.

Angela

We have a Swing N Slide set (the Pioneer) http://www.swing-n-slide.com/swingsets_customrta.htm with a couple of add-ons. Our set has 3 regular swings plus the bench swing that fits two adults. No way I was going to build a big ole swing set without a swing for me! ;) We also have the rings that can replace a swing, and monkey bars that come onto the slide platform. Grandparents pitched in for the set for two-birthdays. We got our set hardware from an Ace hardware store, which has a very good selection of extras, and we purchased our wood from a local lumberyard. We only got kiln dried for the legs, and green wood for the rest, and we used a wood stain sealer right away so that it wouldn't rot. So the wood only cost about $200, and it's still in beautiful shape more than 6 years later. The kids use it just about every day, even 13 yo ds. If you have a circular saw and a drill with bits and a screw tip, it goes together quite easily. But if you're not handy with the tools, Swing n Slide now also sells kits with the wood already cut.

When my oldest was still little (sniff, sniff...where does the time go?), I so wanted a cool wooden play structure. I was floored by how much they cost, though, and just couldn't imagine shelling out that kind of money to entertain kids outside. Of course, we have a lot of space so they have more options, but at that point, my older two didn't go beyond the yard to play. Any-hoo, we never bought one and once my longing passed, I realized I'm glad not to have taken up space with a play structure.

We also spent about $600 more and build a raised 'play yard' filled with the tiny pebbles...our regular yard is 99% rock so we did this to prevent injury (it also helps with drainage--kids can play just after it rains without getting muddy).

We have a raised play area filled with a foot of mulch. It really helps sine our youngest like to go across the monkey bars and then drop to the ground.

Nothing broken yet. (boys or play set.)

When we were looking for a play set, we wanted a nice one (like the Rainbow) but we didn't want to pay thousands for it. We really liked the quality of the Rainbow, but it wasn't in our budget. I put an advertisement, in our local metro paper, looking for a used Rainbow Playset. My husband thought I was crazy.

I still remember, we got a call on Easter evening from a man, who actually worked for Rainbow, stating that he wanted to sell his kids playset. We got it for a great price ($800 or $900). He threw in a new baby swing, a new top cover & flags, a new rope ladder, and a new side swing. Buying it used saved us over $3000. We just had to pick it up. We brought it home, stained it, and it was just like new! That was 8 years ago, and our sons (now 9yo and 12 yo) still play on it.

Joy

We have a Rainbow also. We bought it from some friends when they moved so it already had several years on it. It is still in great shape (except for the tarp cover for the fort part that needs replaced) and we all play on it - 10ds, 12dd, dh and myself. It was totally worth it for us.

If you're not afraid to move it and do a little assembly, look on craigslist. We just got a wooden swing n slide swingset for $50. It doesn't have the huge fort and everything, just the swingset, but that's what we wanted. There are many affordable ones, and I even saw some free (but they go quick, so you have to keep looking) I'm so glad we got it. The kids have been on it almost every day, and they can swing HARD without it moving or swaying. The lady we got it from had children in college, so it was old, but you wouldn't even know it by looking. She stained it every year and it's in great condition. The lil' bit crazy part is that I drove it home on top of our minivan lol Worth every penny.

We built our own for WAAAYYY less $$$. Way. Less.

And it wasn't too difficult, although I will say having a mitre saw made it much easier. But the cost difference is so huge it would make sense to rent a mitre saw if you have a little woodworking knowledge. We bought the swings themselves, some climbing holds, and a fabric fort cover, and the lumber and bolts. It took about two weeks to make.

We modified a design from Kid's Places to Play: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kids+places+to+play&x=0&y=0.

We even made it 10-ft tall. It's a big kids' swingset and fort that won't be outgrown anytime soon. I think it was totally worth it. I'll attach a photo below. The gravel pit shown was already there (what a blessing!).

post-101-13535082621623_thumb.jpg

post-101-13535082621623_thumb.jpg

I'll be the lone person saying I don't think ours was worth it. But if our children were different personalities, that opinion would likely change, it just so happens my older son only likes competitive play, and imaginative games and exercise don't appeal to him. Different strokes.

We bought a Rainbow floor model. I chose Rainbow because the preschool DS attended had one, engraved with the date it was donated, some 20 years previously. Well. Considering how many 4yo kids who played on it every day for 20 years, I was impressed with how solidly it was built.

Fast forward a couple of years after ours was installed. A tornado ripped through our back yard and took out several mature trees (before wreaking more damage on the rest of the neighborhood) but not a bit of damage was done to our playset. Nada.

I didn't get a canopy because I thought they were too gaudy for our little backyard, and we let ours weather to a lovely gray that blends in better than stained cedar would.

Our younger DS still plays on the playset when his friends come over, so we're still getting some use out of it, but it is a pain to mow around, let me tell ya. But I anticipate getting at least $500 out of it when it comes time to sell.

We got ours from Costco about 7-8 years ago. My husband put it together (not an easy job) and has reinforced it over the years. It has lasted quite well and each time we have the deck refinished, we have them do the play structure, too. It still looks nice and the kids play on it regularly, even the kids next door who don't have one.

It was worth the $$$ for us, definitely.

PAM

We bought our play-set as a kit from Lowe's 7 years ago. Dh and fil built it themselves, with help from my then 4 year old ds. He loved that he got to help daddy and grandpa build his swing set. My boys still use our play-set and it was definitely worth the money.

We have one that dh built. He's an amatuer carpenter. He did a great job; we've had it for about 5 years and it's held up well. Since he paid only for materials, I'd say the cost was around $300.

That's what we have and it has been nice. We had a lot of wood lying around so our costs were probably lower than that.

It is very nice to have a dh that is handy.

We got ours from friends who were moving. It cost about a $100.00 to have it taken somewhat apart and moved a few miles to our house. Look for friends with teenagers who might be delighted to have you take theirs off of their hands!