Menu

Notice that you will not be invited - is this tacky?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something -- is there something wrong with just getting married and then sending a nice announcement of the marriage and the new address, without talking about the Totally Awesome Wedding you can't come to?

I think a nice card is fine.

IMO......Tacky, tacky, Tacky! For some reason there are people out there that feel that they are totally obligated to hit up everyone they know just because they are getting married, having babies, etc. I am old school & totally don't believe in MULTIPLE baby showers (or multiple wedding showers for that matter), and darn it if this isn't the new thing in the circles that I am in. Drives me crazy. Had a friend that wanted ME to host her 3rd baby shower. Ummmm...no. This was for her 3rd child, and in no way were they in need of anything.

For some reason I think that old school has fallen out of fashion.:glare: It all is just too greedy & tacky for my taste. It just makes me resent the one sending the invite. KWIM?

Edited by Azalea19

I probably would not dignify that with a response of any kind.

The folly of youth should not necessarily be encouraged as it tends to spread amongst the rest like an H1N1 flu epidemic! :glare: - heaven forbid this become commonplace. I normally error on the side of mercy, however, at some point boneheaded actions need to be met with natural consequences and in this case, lack of cards, gifts, money, and congratulations would be the naturally occuring equal and opposite reaction....you know...Newton's Laws of Physics! :D

Faith

Well I'm going to be the lone voice here and say I don't believe in wedding showers and baby showers (or registries) either. :leaving:

I think it's totally not *my* responsibility to buy your KitchenAid mixer or baby bathtub for you.

:iagree: I'm pretty close to you. If a dear old friend wants to have a shower for someone's nearest and dearest, fine and dandy. Or if it's tradition in a circle of relatives or friends, fine and dandy. It's the attitude that these things are rights of passage and mandatory that drive me crazy. We are not born with a birth right to a shower (or several) with 2nd cousins once removed or a high end wedding at no cost to you. Running right behind you! :D :leaving:

This is the tackiest "non invitation" I've ever heard of. Ick! I'd send a card and no gift. If they would have sent a wedding announcement w/no registry info after the fact, I might have sent them a small check or something. Did I say ick yet? :D

Edited by kck

Gee, do they not have much money (or do they have debt) *because* they chose to have their wedding in Mexico?? If so, it's the tackiest thing I've ever heard to mention their registries in any communication about the event that people can't attend or weren't invited to!! UGH.

Speechless! I think I'll play back those words in my head every time I think someone's being a juice box! By comparison, I shouldn't have to think anyone's beyond rude ever again! :lol:

No - no gift! If you actually like them, I'd probably send the card saying, "I totally understand! Everyone needs to save their money in tough economic times." You'll have a nice clean slate and not have any residual resentment to deal with...

i haven't read all the replies, but whst *I* want you to do is take a picture of the card and pin it on pinterest. Email the pin to pinterestareyoudrunk (or whatever that site is) and see if they will put it up to mock it.

Sorry, I probably wouldn't actually do that myself and I know it isn't the right thing to do, but it would be really funny and I like laughing about the ludicrous things that people do sometimes (and there are a lot of over the top wedding pins).

Tjej

Edited by Tjej

I would not want to get them a gift. I might get them a token gift if it meant keeping family relationships good (with whoever there parent is that you or your dh is related to). It wouldn’t be necessary but sometimes family means sucking it up and being the (much) bigger person.

My nieces and nephew send out emails stating their birthday and Christmas wish lists. Not only are some of them adults (oldest is 26) but their lists are full of expensive items. Do I think it’s tacky? Yes. Does it bug me? Yes. But do I send them a gift anyway? Yes, for family peace. I ignore their lists and send a small gift that we can afford but we still do something because in dh’s family it would cause issues if we did not.

My son, his cousin, got married at our home last month. It was very inexpensive but altogether lovely. The cousin and his significant other were invited. They didn't attend, didn't send regrets, and didn't send any acknowledgement of my son's wedding. And I never even thought about that until I received their non-invite ;)

Oh, I didn’t read that when I replied earlier. Then I definitely wouldn’t send a gift. I would send a card saying congratulations and leave it at that.

No, you have the Perfect Gift for them! A lovely book on etiquette! Include a sweet card about how you appreciated that they were trying to save money by sending out non-invites and then a little wedding tip on how they could help themselves get that debt free start by hop-skipping down to the courthouse or having a backyard wedding and putting the money they would save towards their debt AND then they could also have the wonderful blessing of actually having family and friends around.

(yes, passive aggressive...all said tongue in cheek ;) Send the etiquette book though)

Am I missing something -- is there something wrong with just getting married and then sending a nice announcement of the marriage and the new address, without talking about the Totally Awesome Wedding you can't come to?

Yes, there's something big missing by going that route: a glaring $oli¢itation! ;)

For inquiring minds: I went to the registry. They are asking for cash/check donations to remodel their home. They state that they have everything they need for housekeeping.

:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe you could offer to let them come work for you:tongue_smilie:

For inquiring minds: I went to the registry. They are asking for cash/check donations to remodel their home. They state that they have everything they need for housekeeping.

Wow, this just keeps getting better. Apparently gifts are now out of vogue and we're just supposed to outright PAY people to get married. ;)

I think a couple things said by others bear repeating:

1. Ick!

2. Fears for the next generation are not far fetched, and in fact may be quite well founded. (Excepting, of course, all the stellar HIVE kids whose mothers would die of shock and heartbreak before allowing them to believe such a thing is appropriate. :D )

3. Again... ick.

Well, Cynthia, I think we're all in agreement... no gift necessary, LOL!! Oh, and by the way... CONGRATS on your son's marriage, and may they have many happy years. His day sounds lovely. :)

This is what I told dh. He was trying mightily to think that perhaps the non-invite wasn't rude, but I told him that they could have just sent out an announcement after the fact. No need to inform us that we weren't "awesome" enough :001_huh:

:iagree:

Announcements are completely acceptable. Non-invitations are not. :glare:

Wow, this just keeps getting better. Apparently gifts are now out of vogue and we're just supposed to outright PAY people to get married. ;)

Well, in some cultures, that is the norm - not tacky at all. I actually think that's not a big deal... or wouldn't be if they hadn't been so tacky in every possible other way.

I would send them a box of condoms:lol:

We oh wait...my husband was invited to his cousin's wedding last year. Not only did the invite say there would be no children because there just wasn't room. But, they told others and they all told us how our children were not invited. It was the strangest thing considering how family centered everything is in that side of the family. When my husband decided not to go everyone got mad at him:001_huh:

If it was us, I would just send a card and nothing more. We were not even invited to my husbands wedding because we are too far away to attend. At least give us the chance to decline. By the way, yes we would have travel for his brother's wedding. I sent just a card.

I'm going to be the voice of crankiness here. :)

My question is, what does how they conduct themselves have to do with the gift you'll give them? . Would you normally send a gift or money to a nephew on his wedding? If yes, do so. If not, then don't.

Their behavior shouldn't dictate your behavior.

Yep. In my experience money is the norm. I always give money and I got money. It actually makes things quite simple for people. I was very thankful to get money. I would never outright ask for money, but I knew I'd likely get money.

The only time I haven't given money at a wedding was my brother because I knew him well enough to give him a very meaningful gift. Otherwise it's cash and a card (a really nice card - my husband has a gift for picking out cards that are meaningful and perfect for the recipient)

Well, in some cultures, that is the norm - not tacky at all. I actually think that's not a big deal... or wouldn't be if they hadn't been so tacky in every possible other way.

I don't have a problem with people receiving money. I am used to that. I think the issue is asking or downright demanding money. I sort of have the same reaction to the registries as a demand/implied demand. One needs to be a bit humble, I think, instead of presumptive. I got an invite for college classmates with a request for donations for a mortgage over ten years ago, and I rolled my eyes then!

I do think one probably tends to feel more generous to someone who is polite, and /or to whom one feels close.

My dad did fly across the country to stay with me so he could attend the wedding of his college roommate's son, and he had fun doing it. And I think he gave them a set of drinking glasses, if anyone's interested. (That is in the category of small but usefu, too!)

Personally I think the charade of older people and/or cohabitating people demanding or requesting household goods is a bit silly. I had a relative who got married after only having lived with her parents. Her husband also had only lived with his parents. I thought they actually needed household stuff. But people who've been on their own generally have a lot of that stuff. I certainly did! So I wish the gifts would be a bit more creative. I think the etiquette book or a box of condoms is probably too creative and is insulting.

I LOVE the bolded!! :lol::lol:

OP, I'm with the others... no response is necessary, but if you feel compelled, a nice card will suffice.

I'm wondering where these ideas come from? And, more importantly, why do so many of our youth have the idea stuff like this is OK? Does *no one* think to check etiquette any more? I mean, with the internet, it's so easy!

Do the bride & groom not have someone in their lives who would have said to them "um, you know, that's not really appropriate" and explain why? I'm not worried about a small faux pas, as we have all made them (and I'm sure I'll make more through the years), but come on... this is big!

The bride and groom are in their early 30's so I don't think they would listen to their mother (dh's sister). A really interesting thing is that they got married at the courthouse a few months ago because they could not get the Mexico venue this year. Dh's sister was so hurt because they weren't told until after the fact. So essentially this is the wedding that goes on for over a year :D. I'm still trying to figure out why the rush after waiting as long as they have. Why not just wait until they could get the Mexico venue.

I think a couple things said by others bear repeating:

1. Ick!

2. Fears for the next generation are not far fetched, and in fact may be quite well founded. (Excepting, of course, all the stellar HIVE kids whose mothers would die of shock and heartbreak before allowing them to believe such a thing is appropriate. :D )

3. Again... ick.

Well, Cynthia, I think we're all in agreement... no gift necessary, LOL!! Oh, and by the way... CONGRATS on your son's marriage, and may they have many happy years. His day sounds lovely. :)

I agree. I'm generally fine with the ebb and flow of customs, and differences in customs across groups. This seems to be just more of the "cult of self-esteem" in which children and young adults expect to be lavishly rewarded for everything they do, though, and it is something I'm seeing in all contexts: "the world owes me for existing" mentality.

I might send a card or might not. I wouldn't feel obligated really. It obviously isn't a close relationship. I don't buy gifts out of obligation but try to reserve that for people I actually like or care for, our budget is limited and I'm not much on gifts though.

The bride and groom are in their early 30's so I don't think they would listen to their mother (dh's sister). A really interesting thing is that they got married at the courthouse a few months ago because they could not get the Mexico venue this year. Dh's sister was so hurt because they weren't told until after the fact. So essentially this is the wedding that goes on for over a year :D. I'm still trying to figure out why the rush after waiting as long as they have. Why not just wait until they could get the Mexico venue.

ah! So they are already married and are vying for monetary gifts after the fact. Nice!:glare:

Ok... Ok... Wait... Let me see if I can catch up.

So you weren't awesome enough to be told about the impending first wedding. You're not awesome enough to be invited to the second wedding, but make the cut to be notified because they clearly missed out on the whole gift experience the first time. Their bad; they're correcting it this time. But what they're REALLY hoping for, by having the second wedding, is funding for a THIRD, destination, wedding?

What's next? Gift registries for job changes?