Menu

Notice that you will not be invited - is this tacky?

Dh's nephew has been living with a young lady for about 5 years now. They decided to get married but want to do it in Mexico at a special venue. They will have a reception when they return. We really have not seen these kids since they became adults and they have shown no interest in us (we care for his grandparents, but he has never visited them in over 10 years).

We received a postcard that said that since the couple wanted to start off married life (umm...five years later) debt free, and since the special wedding was going to cost a lot, they would not be able to invite "all the awesome people" they know and love to the reception (IOW we should not expect an invitation). But if we would like more information about their upcoming wedding (gift registries) we can go to XYZ website. They invited their grandparents, who can barely walk, to attend - probably knew that 2 invited guests would decline :D

So...do I feel obligated to purchase a gift??? Definitely not! Should I purchase a gift - I would appreciate the hive input about that.

This one is right up there with the one where a young lady at church wanted a fancy wedding and reception, but could only invite a small number of folks because of the cost. She asked for donations of decorating accessories for the wedding and reception from those who were not invited (and made sure that we were good knowing that she would not be returning them).:tongue_smilie:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, it isn't just the notice that you won't be invited that is tacky. It's the whole rest of it that's pretty much on the top of my OMG HOW TACKY IS THAT list.

I'd say don't buy them a thing, unless you know them really well and love them to bits, and then be sure to buy something that is *not* on the list. I wouldn't even look at the Web site.

I suggest you mail them a really nice sponge. :D

If they have been living together for 5 years, they really don't need all the housewarming wedding gifts you get when you start a household. They're just sending sad sack letters out to those they think they might get something from.... UBER TACKY.

BTW, I think destination weddings are tacky and rude by themselves. JMHO.

Edited by radiobrain

I'd probably send a very small gift of money and a card. Like, a $10 or $20 check. Unless they had a history of giving nice gifts to me or my kids in the past.

I understand if they don't have money. But it was tacky for them to essentially ask for gifts from people not important enough to invite. Yuck.

I vote tacky.

A while back, we recieved a very nice wedding announcement from a distant relative. It let us know that the couple was married on a certain date ("X and Y are please to announce their marriage on...."). Not an invite - just an announcement. So, this sort of thing CAN be done politely and with grace.

No present required - these folks aren't really part of YOUR family or friends. You could send a congratuations card if you wish, but even that is not necessary.

I suggest you mail them a really nice sponge. :D

If they have been living together for 5 years, they really don't need all the housewarming wedding gifts you get when you start a household. They're just sending sad sack letters out to those they think they might get something from.... UBER TACKY.

BTW, I think destination weddings are tacky and rude by themselves. JMHO.

:lol::lol::lol:

A card will suffice!

It let us know that the couple was married on a certain date ("X and Y are please to announce their marriage on...."). Not an invite - just an announcement. So, this sort of thing CAN be done politely and with grace.

This is what I told dh. He was trying mightily to think that perhaps the non-invite wasn't rude, but I told him that they could have just sent out an announcement after the fact. No need to inform us that we weren't "awesome" enough :001_huh:

I vote tacky.

A while back, we recieved a very nice wedding announcement from a distant relative. It let us know that the couple was married on a certain date ("X and Y are please to announce their marriage on...."). Not an invite - just an announcement. So, this sort of thing CAN be done politely and with grace.

No present required - these folks aren't really part of YOUR family or friends. You could send a congratuations card if you wish, but even that is not necessary.

I have some of these that have been really nice. An announcement, usually with a photo or two. Just letting people know you got married quietly and with NO mention of a gift registry. One had an online album and message book. I thought that was really sweet. NO mention of a gift registry on there anywhere.

I get wanting to slip away and do something smaller etc..., but that is basically a planned elopement. You announce after, not before, and you do not mention gifts. Definitely tacky

I would feel obligated to mail a lovely card. :glare:

:iagree::iagree: I don't know them and possibly they do not realize how their announcement sounded? I did some stupid stuff when I was in my 20's that I cringe over now.

Extend mercy, send a nice card, sigh and shake your head over the foibles of youth. :lol:

Postcards huh?

Much more frugal than say, a regular envelope w/expensive stamps huh?

I'd be nosy and go look at the registry just to see what was selected and giggle about it.....

My mother did this really neat thing though, every year she'd make up calendars with all the relative's birthdays on it, and include a little stationary set and tools and give them as gifts to try to keep the family communicating. She was a big letter writer.

There was also an index in the back with everyone's contact info, phone, etc.

That would honestly be my response to the post card as a gift. They are just young and bumbling along.

I vote tacky.

:iagree:

This is what they should have done. And this is why Emily Post's Etiquette should be on the bookshelf of every classical homeschooler--right next to WTM.;)

I gotta tell ya..when I was working in retail...we'd get these folks in that would register for designer this, designer that, nothing but the best...yadda yadda...

And then, one week after the ceremony, it would all come back to the store for cash refunds.

We even had to refund wedding dresses, shoes, shirts..anything they ordered.

There's people out there like that, I saw it a zillion times. And how they kept a straight face while doing it was beyond me.

You could send them something very small and useful. I don't understand this type of behavior. I had a very cheap wedding in which all sorts of people attended -- most of them people I didn't know!-- so I'm not very sympathetic.

I have heard of couples who have purposefully small weddings, sometimes in faraway locations and I guess I could see sending something to make it clear... but isn't the whole point of coming back and having a reception later in order to invite everyone? It's not the actual wedding. You can rent a cheap hall and serve cheap food and just enjoy seeing family.

You could send them something very small and useful. I don't understand this type of behavior. I had a very cheap wedding in which all sorts of people attended -- most of them people I didn't know!-- so I'm not very sympathetic.

My son, his cousin, got married at our home last month. It was very inexpensive but altogether lovely. The cousin and his significant other were invited. They didn't attend, didn't send regrets, and didn't send any acknowledgement of my son's wedding. And I never even thought about that until I received their non-invite ;)

Nope, not a thing.

We got a high school graduation invitation from the son of an old college roommate. When dh saw the picture he said "who is that?". Which is a big clue they won't get a gift.

I'm sure I sent invites to people that said the same thing. I don't remember who it would have been and I don't remember them not responding so it all worked out. :)

I don't know if I'd even send a card and if I did I wouldn't go out of my way to find a lovely one. :glare: Then again I'm not always the height of grace and ettiquette. :001_smile:

awful. totally awful. I can understand not inviting everyone to Mexico. But everyone should be invited to the reception back home, even if it is just cake and punch at their house. We did that....got married in scotland just the two of us, but had a party at our house on our return. I made scottish foods to serve, Dh made a cake in the shape of Nessie, and we had a slideshow of pictures of our trip up. It was totally casual (I wore cordory pants and a sweater to give you an idea) and not that expensive. If we couldn't have afforded the food and drink (his friends do drink a lot) we would have done cake and punch and done it in the afternoon. Or not done anything at all, but also not sent out info.

So no, no gift, no check, unless you end up invited.

I think you have you answer right there. Based on that, I might even skip the card...

My son, his cousin, got married at our home last month. It was very inexpensive but altogether lovely. The cousin and his significant other were invited. They didn't attend, didn't send regrets, and didn't send any acknowledgement of my son's wedding. And I never even thought about that until I received their non-invite ;)

Oh my.

My fears for the next gen are not far-fetched.

I would absolutely not send them a gift.

Perhaps you could send them a card saying you are happy for them, but are trying pay down debt and won't be sending them a gift...

DO IT!:lol:

LOL I love the card idea.

I think that the proper etiquette in situations like this would have been to wait until AFTER the wedding, then send a card saying 'We're finally married. If you'd like to see pictures of our special day, please visit http://www.whatever.com' It would be somewhat appropriate (but still a little tacky), to put registry links there. No mention needs to be made of whether there even was a reception near home or not, and it's obvious why everyone wasn't invited to Mexico.

We received a postcard that said that since the couple wanted to start off married life (umm...five years later) debt free, and since the special wedding was going to cost a lot, they would not be able to invite "all the awesome people" they know and love to the reception (IOW we should not expect an invitation). But if we would like more information about their upcoming wedding (gift registries) we can go to XYZ website. They invited their grandparents, who can barely walk, to attend - probably knew that 2 invited guests would decline :D

So...do I feel obligated to purchase a gift??? Definitely not! Should I purchase a gift - I would appreciate the hive input about that.

:lol::lol: well - if they can't afford a big fancy wedding and invite all their extended family members, they sure shouldn't be getting married in mexico. sadly, the concept of having a wedding in your range of affordability seems to have gone by the wayside.

I would send a "lovely" card wishing them well. ;)

Well, um, you can turn me in to Miss Manners for this one, but I'm not one of those people that thinks that getting an invitation to something or an announcement about something obligates me to absolutely anything. :D

Miss Manners would be the first to tell you that an invitation doesn't obligate you to do anything. :)

:iagree:

This is what they should have done. And this is why Emily Post's Etiquette should be on the bookshelf of every classical homeschooler--right next to WTM.;)

I'm partial to Miss Manner's guide to rearing perfect children. (with the supplement of Miss Manner's guide to excruciatingly correct behavior)

I gotta tell ya..when I was working in retail...we'd get these folks in that would register for designer this, designer that, nothing but the best...yadda yadda...

And then, one week after the ceremony, it would all come back to the store for cash refunds.

There's people out there like that, I saw it a zillion times. And how they kept a straight face while doing it was beyond me.

My x-SIL returned all of her formal china and various other things from her wedding gifts and bought clothes with the money. Also, when I registered, we were having a hard time filling up our registry, since we were combining 2 households. The wedding saleslady told us to register for things we already had and we could bring them back and buy non house items. So I am always suspicious when I buy things from the big department stores.

I'd probably send a card and maybe include a family recipe as a "Welcome to the Family" thought, but I wouldn't spend any more money than a card and stamp.

didn't the store have a giant tag plastered on the dress in a conspicuous spot so it can only be returned if the tag is still attached? that's what nordstrom does with its prom dresses.

Well I'm going to be the lone voice here and say I don't believe in wedding showers and baby showers (or registries) either. :leaving:

I think it's totally not *my* responsibility to buy your KitchenAid mixer or baby bathtub for you.

Now if invited to a wedding, I will get a nice card and a gift. And my gift will have meaning behind it. Meaning I want to get it for you because it made me think of you, not because you may have *need* of a kitchen appliance. If someone I know has a baby I'll buy a cute outfit or board book or toy or something for the mom because I want to, not because having a baby somehow entitles others to buy things for you.

I've suffered through my share of baby showers where the mom to be complained about getting such and such when they really needed xyx, and i still remember overhearing my ex-sil complain about a (really cute) bird feeder because it was "useless."

But yeah asking people to send a wedding gift to a reception you're not invited to is just beyond stupid. I would probably do nothing if it were me.

This is what I told dh. He was trying mightily to think that perhaps the non-invite wasn't rude, but I told him that they could have just sent out an announcement after the fact. No need to inform us that we weren't "awesome" enough :001_huh:

Uh, yeah. My compliments to your husband on his generosity in trying to find a way that it's not tacky.

It is.

Oh yes totally tacky. DH's cousin sent us one of those, though they were having a small courthouse wedding and reception. DH and I thought it was the weirdest thing, it announced when and where they were getting married, but it wasn't an invite. We would have thought nothing of an announcement after the fact, but the whole info before the event was just tacky.

That being said I have no problem with a destination wedding. Depending on where family is it is sometime cheaper to have it somewhere that isn't home anyways, since families can be all over these days.

That being said the info of the wedding with the not invited thing, very tacky. I won't send more then a congratulation card if that.