Menu

Do you say the pledge everyday?

My son is in public school and they said the pledge every morning all through kindergarten. They also sang The Star Spangled Banner. He likes it and will pop up with it whenever he sees a flag (which this time of year is frequently!)

ETA: I just asked him and I was mistaken. They sing America the Beautiful. And he belts out "GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THEE!" but has *no* idea what any of it - the pledge, or the song - are talking about.

Edited by JoLuRu

No. Most of my kids don't know it. Yes, they probably should know it. Most of them are aware of it. However, I have held some personal apprehensions to it in the past (and still on the fence today). The Star Spangeled Banner, yes, they know. My stepfather descended from a sibling of Francis Scott Key(es). We're pretty proud of the National Anthem.

:blink:

Why would we do that?

:blink:

My dc said the Pledge of Allegiance in Camp Fire and Missionettes and 4-H. I didn't consider it a vital part of our homeschooling. If they hadn't been involved in outside activities that said the pledge, I would have taught it to them, but in our home, we start the day by getting out of bed. Our home is not an institution. I didn't feel the need to run it like one (even though I *totally* believe in saying the Pledge in general).

No. Like others, mine say it out scouts and other relevant places.

But,I will say, the year dd was 5 and in K, we did it for awhile so that I could make sure she knew it. We used the C.D. Wee Sings America to learn all of the Patriotic songs. My kids know verses of Yankee Doodle that I didn't even know existed :)

My kids usually go through a phase in August/September for a few weeks where they want to gather for a formal opening to the school day ... prayer, pledge, song, etc. I neither encourage nor discourage it, and after a few weeks, the novelty wears off and we go back to our staggered start. Some of their activities (scouts, for example) include the pledge.

YES, YES, YES!!! We are a very patriotic American family and my kids learned the pledge and many of our patriotic songs at 2 or 3 years old. They know the meanings behind every word and the reason a certain song was written. My 8 year old dd is now memorizing Paul Revere's Ride just for fun because Daddy and Grandma can say it! My ds gets really upset when men/boys do not remove their hat while singing the national anthem! We are very proud to be Americans!!!

We just joined 4-H where they say it, so we've been memorizing it. We don't say it every morning though, to much ritual for me! I am planning to use it for copywork when they have memorized it, and we will go through it line by line. (So far we've discussed 'indivisible'.)

No. The Pledge has always made me feel weird for as long as I can remember, so I happily skip it in our homeschool, although I do teach it to my kids, just for "cultural literacy".

:iagree: I sort of feel this way too. It always makes me think of the Rich Mullins song that says "stuff of Earth competes for the allegiance we owe only to the giver of all good things." Glad I'm not the only conflicted one :tongue_smilie:.

Meredith

Some Austrailians have piped in (thank you). My husband is English and claims he never said anything like a pledge when in school. Is the U.S. the only country that does???

Well, public schools in Australia have started doing the national anthem one a week. But I think this is because nobody really knew the words.

Well, public schools in Australia have started doing the national anthem one a week. But I think this is because nobody really knew the words.

Hey! We always sung the first verse at Monday morning assemblies in primary school! It didn't help. Most kids got to about grade five before learning what the bit that sounds like "Australians all are ostriches" really was. :p

Rosie

I think my dd knows it from her year in K and I will teach it to my son, but I'm with some of the others on this one. It feels unnatural and a bit militant. I am a proud American, but I don't pledge or vow anything to an entity that isn't real or everlasting. Not to mention the slippery slope i feel America (and the world) are quickly losing ground on. My alligence is to God.

:iagree: I sort of feel this way too. It always makes me think of the Rich Mullins song that says "stuff of Earth competes for the allegiance we owe only to the giver of all good things." Glad I'm not the only conflicted one :tongue_smilie:.

Meredith

Well' date=' we are proud to be American, but we don't say the pledge. I don't see how the two are related. I didn't say it in ps either.[/quote']

I think my dd knows it from her year in K and I will teach it to my son, but I'm with some of the others on this one. It feels unnatural and a bit militant. I am a proud American, but I don't pledge or vow anything to an entity that isn't real or everlasting. Not to mention the slippery slope i feel America (and the world) are quickly losing ground on. My alligence is to God.

:iagree: to all of that. For multiple reasons, I find it somewhat weird and creepy. My kids know what it is, and I think they know most of it, but I don't say it here at home. I've told the kids that I will not require them to say it at other places, that it is their personal choice to do so or not, and if they choose not to say it, they are to be polite and respectful of those who choose to say it.

I just want to add that even though we don't say it, my children know to stand silently, take hats off etc when it is said or when any country's anthem is played/sung etc. Well, my 12 year old does. My 7 year old would need to be reminded/prompted. I don't think that is unusual for a 7 year old.

Meredith

This. I have always been VERY uncomfortable with it for reasons that are hard to put into words. That quote does it pretty nicely.

No. I'll eventually teach it to DD, including the meaning behind all the words, for culture's sake. I'll also teach her why I choose not to say it, but how to be respectful while others do so.

She does know the Star Spangled Banner however, and enjoys singing it to me while I'm showering. :tongue_smilie:

We don't say the Pledge, inside or outside our home. We don't stand up when ore people do, either -- I wish more pledge-objectors would sit down with us, so people might become more tolerant of non-pledgers or maybe even start to give a little more thought about what they are saying.

I love our country and feel very blessed to be an American, but we do not say the pledge, ever. It's not because I'm opposed to it; it's just never happened, lol. We also don't do calendar time, circle time, or anything like that. ;) My girls learned the pledge at AWANA though.

:glare:

We don't say the Pledge, inside or outside our home. We don't stand up when ore people do, either -- I wish more pledge-objectors would sit down with us, so people might become more tolerant of non-pledgers or maybe even start to give a little more thought about what they are saying.

If I have to be tolerant of pledge objectors, how 'bout a little respect for those of us who do the pledge, and don't insinuate we haven't thought about what we are saying.

To the OP, we do the pledge most days before school, because I'm apparently an ill-thought-out dolt. Or you could say we do it because it models off a few things I learned that were effective in my Catholic school upbringing. :tongue_smilie:

We're British. When I was at school we occasionally sang the national anthem. I really have an aversion to anything patriotic, as in this country there has been an association between patriotism and racism.

Edited by Cassy