Menu

Do you have rules about treats?

DH and I recently decided that our kiddies were eating too many sweet treats and we have made a rule that they can only have a treat on Fridays. It has worked well, the kiddies look forward to Friday, and I think behaviour is generally better especially from my dd, who tends to react to these kinds of things. The rule gets relaxed when we visit people and when we go for the weekend to my in-laws (at least twice a month usually).

Are we draconian? My MIL certainly thinks so, and is very upset that we have not given some sweets to the children that she brought round on Wednesday. They are in the fridge waiting for Friday, so it isn't like we've thrown them away. These are asian sweets made of pure sugar and fat with nothing good about them whatsoever! They are a heart attack in a box. Everytime we see MIL she gives them sweets, chocolate, junk food. It most certainly isn't my place in their culture for me to say anything, and DH won't. All I can do is limit this in my own home, which I think is a perfectly normal thing to do - right?

True on lollies or sugary sweets RARELY happen in our home as we have a child with a sugar issue.

As for homemade goodies, i tend to only make something once a week & when it's gone it's gone. If the children ask for something sweet I will say, "Have you had a fruit or vegetable today?" If the answer is no they have to fulfil that goal. If they want, say crisps they have to have something healthy with it & only a limited amount of the crisps.

I haven't made a limit on sweets per day of the week, but I suppose to some degree I have in regards to making homemade goodies. ;)

I don't keep candy, cookies or such around. Any treats we have are generally homemade and that is a few times a week maybe. Candy might be bought occasionally when out if they happen to have money or we are at a function with it. I allow it then but try to keep it moderate. I do allow them to get suckers and cookies at the in-laws but they only go once a week at the very most (it has been a few weeks now) they do make them eat real food first though and limit how much.

I love the "only on Friday" rule. We do one serving a day. If I make cinnamon rolls or something like that for breakfast, that is DS13's only sugar for the day. Otherwise, he can choose one sugary treat like a cookie each day. I'm not the food police and I've been known to be a little more relaxed about it on occasion but this is our general rule. He tends to eat pretty healthily and is very active anyway so it's not really much of a concern here.

I will get mine a slushie from the gas station once in a blue moon. They get a small baggie of candy on thursdays after their therapies (ds's is double duty- delayed reward because he does not get his candy until he completes his 3rd appointment, and its slways something to work on oral motor and "waking up" his mouth, like something chewy and sour, or extra sticky like swedish fish).

Other than that, we rarely have anything.

My kids have "treat time" after dinner each evening. They usually have cookies or yogurt tubes that have been frozen. Sometimes we have ice cream but not often. It works fine since they aren't asking for it all day long since they know treats are for treat time. Neither have a weight problem and my son actually needs to put on a few pounds.

We don't have "treats' in the house as a general rule but only because they are expensive. I do buy ice cream or frozen treats when they are cheap and dh and the kids will have it after supper. Every once in a blue moon, if things have been tough or stressful or we just need a day for indulgence we will declare it a "junk food movie day" and hit Walmart for a movie and a bunch of sweets.

Twizzlers, Nerds and M&M's are our favorites. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months.

I wouldn't mind if people brought stuff, no one here is likely to overindulge.

If I did have a rule though, I wouldn't care what anyone else thought about it.

DH and I recently decided that our kiddies were eating too many sweet treats and we have made a rule that they can only have a treat on Fridays. It has worked well, the kiddies look forward to Friday, and I think behaviour is generally better especially from my dd, who tends to react to these kinds of things. The rule gets relaxed when we visit people and when we go for the weekend to my in-laws (at least twice a month usually).

Are we draconian? My MIL certainly thinks so, and is very upset that we have not given some sweets to the children that she brought round on Wednesday. They are in the fridge waiting for Friday, so it isn't like we've thrown them away. These are asian sweets made of pure sugar and fat with nothing good about them whatsoever! They are a heart attack in a box. Everytime we see MIL she gives them sweets, chocolate, junk food. It most certainly isn't my place in their culture for me to say anything, and DH won't. All I can do is limit this in my own home, which I think is a perfectly normal thing to do - right?

Eh, since you do relax the rule in other instances, I'd relax the rule and make a big fuss at my home for that! "Look what Nana brought! And, it's not even FRIDAY. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!" I think I'd err on the side of being gracious that she cared enough to bring the kids something, even if it isn't your cup of tea.

As for your rule overall? No I don't think it's draconian. But, I'd let her dote on your children (no matter what her motivation). Besides, if she's doing it to spite you, having my suggested reaction will throw her for a loop! :tongue_smilie:

We generally have a dessert after both lunch and supper. Lunch dessert is usually a piece of fruit, and supper dessert is usually a couple of cookies, some candy, or ice cream. Generally, my kids don't eat between meals, and they don't often ask for treats between meals because it has never been a habit.

I don't have food rules. Life has enough stress for me that I don't need to create additional things to notice and monitor. We don't buy prepackaged anything, but I do make homemade cookies, cakes, crisps, whatever when we want them. My kids are active and healthy without any food issues thus far.

My in-laws always bring sugar and always offer sugar when we are at their house. They are generous in their own way, and we let them spoil the kids.

We don't have "treats' in the house as a general rule but only because they are expensive.

:iagree: That is part of it here as well. I used to buy more here and there but it just isn't in the budget. Real food is in the budget but not junk. We bought store bought popsicles last weekend as a Father's Day treat but that was the first time in a good while I've bought anything. I do make homemade things as well and they love them even though they are "healthy" treats- sweetened with honey.

I would let the kids have treat from G-parents when they visited. Assuming of course they don't make it an all the time thing.

I'm a junk food junkie so we generally have junk food in the house and have often overdone it with treats and fast food.

Funny thing though, I also cook and bake from scratch and have lots of fruits in the house. The mix seemed to work on the kids. They'll enjoy the treats when they want but generally make good food choices and much prefer the home-cooked and baked stuff. I think they get to see the difference in how each food makes them feel and have, at times, gotten sick of having junk food around.

So no limits here. They can manage junk food well.

No junk rules here.... but when it's gone, it's gone until the next time I shop or feel like baking. Generally, I buy one ice cream a week, and 3-4 boxes of snack crackers/cookies plus popcorn. Cakes only get baked for special occasions. I bake cookies/brownies about once a month..... I grew up with a lot of restrictions on junk, which made me want it all the more, and desiring it way too much. Took me a long time to have a healthy appreciation of treats. And there is ALWAYS chocolate in the house.... usually in the form of Hershey Nuggets or Bliss, and Dove Promises. Everyone KNOWS that if there are only a few pieces left, and it's not shopping day, to leave the chocolate for me!

That would be a bit draconian from my perspective, but I don't think it's unheard of or anything.

Can you maybe offer a not terrible dessert every night (berries and a bit of fresh cream or baked apples with not much sugar or fruit with cream cheese dip or homemade oatmeal raisin cookies or just a little square of dark chocolate or things like that?) and only let them have a really unhealthy treat (piles of chocolate, cake, processed gummy bears, or whatever the craving is...) once a week? I know my sweet tooth would go crazy without something, but that I try to sate myself with things that aren't so bad in moderation.

If my kids are eating a well-balanced diet with lots of fruits/veggies, then I don't limit sweets- if they are eating well,they almost never over-indulge. When they do overdo the junk, they feel like crud and performance in dance, volleyball, and/or Karate suffers- and they know it!

I do make them wait until after lunch for sweets. But when we do have a cookie at breakfast, it;s a big deal and can set the tone for a fun day... or even turn around a bad one.

There are some sweets/junk we don't do- anythign with food dye. BAD reaction in one of my DDs. And home-baked brownies with applesauce instead of oils, and whole-wheat flour? Well, they're barely junk food at that point- so my girls have all learned to bake.

As far as Grannies- if a Grannie visit is once/month or less, for 1-2 days pr less, then nearly free reign is given with treats. If we see Granny every week, then we try to stick to normal eating patterns. I also encourage them to bake with granny, or ask granny to stop by the store and lick up "crazy fruits." Kiwis, starfruit, anyhting unusual. They just want to bring a treat- when the kids go nuts over a box of strawberries and devour them in about 3 seconds, it makes a granny happy.

I don't have food rules here or "treats." I also don't buy very much packaged food. The kids have free reign on food except for shortly before dinner, and I don't allow chocolate after dark because it keeps my youngest awake. When they feel like something sweet, they typically bake it themselves - cookies, cakes, brownies, and pies. Sometimes we go for weeks without anything sweet, and other times there is something almost everyday. We work on healthy attitudes about food and nutrition instead of rules. I think that strict control over food encourages binging.

In general, we don't keep those things in the house for two reasons:

1. I eat them....don't want to, but it always happens.

2. The kids are constantly wanting to eat it. All day long

So it's rare that we have any type of sweet, sugary stuff in stock, or junk food in general. Occasional, but rare.

During summer months, we do tend to have ice cream goodies in the freezer and they can usually have one of those a day. Sometimes they forget and that is fine too.

We aren't a dessert after dinner family....just trying to afford to put good healthy food on the table...dessert is a luxury. I will occasionally make something from scratch though.

As far as out and about, we tend to get them a goody here or there if we are at the store, and they ask for candy. Sometimes it's a yes ,and sometimes it's a no. Just depends on the budget and their behaviour.

So they do get occasional junk....we just don't keep it in stock in the house :).

I made a rule that we can only eat ice cream on Sat and Sun. The ice cream eating was out of control. We have not soda in house.

When we visit other people, rules are not enforced. If my dad showed up with ice cream mid week, I'd let the kids have it. My dad, an ice cream fanatic, has never brought ice cream to my house so it's not a problem. If he stopped by with ice cream regularly I'd tell him to stop. As it is, the older dc can walk to granddad's house (1 mile away) and have it offered to them there. Anytime they visit they are offered soda or ice cream. My dc do not visit daily, nor do they go over there for the sole purpose of getting a forbidden item, so it hasn't been a problem.

You said you dd does not react well to treats. Do you know if she's reacting to sugar or artificial flavors, colors and preservatives? Many treat foods have all kinds of artificials. One of my dc reacts badly to artificials.

I don't have any food rules. We have made a point to study nutrition together and talk about how junky stuff is the "extra" calories we want to eat in moderation. We all have a number of fruits/veggies we must consume before the extra, mom and dad applying to this as well of course!

I LOVE to bake, and I am fine with a daily treat. I also make our own ice cream and Drum sticks. And d*mn my lactose intolerance on that one!

I don't buy prepackaged treats (although I do sometimes the better granola or Cliff bars for lunch sacks. Not great, but not horrible), but there are always baking supplies in the house and my dds like to bake.

Now that it is summer, the kids buy ice cream or Italian ice at our beach a couple of times a week.

They eats lots of veggies daily, so I don't worry. Also, no allergies or behavorial issues. I don't keep track.

When they were younger, we talked a lot about 'growing food' and making sure to check in with yourself. If you think you're about to melt down, consider whether you had a single waffle for breakfast, or an egg. A serving of a good protein can save the day.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm in the process of issuing a stricter policy now.

We did very little sugar until the kids were 2.5 and went to daycare (where they advertised "candy-free" but . . . :glare:). Then we did an average of one treat per day, but my dd5 is having too many issues, so I've decided to get rid of the HFCS. We've been in detox this week and we're going to a crunchy food store tonight to choose some more natural sweet treats. Hopefully this will be enough of a change.

My girl sure does love her sugar!

Nope. In my experience that leads to kids with food problems. My kids can have whatever they want, whenever they want it. They are all normal weight...actually a bit on the thin side...and they do not over consume junk food.

All their friends who have rules restricting it in their homes, come over here and want to do nothing but eat treats. They're out of control with it. We are friends with one family who attends my dd's ballet performances. During intermission, they go out to the lobby and buy an absurd amount of candy, and the girls hide it in their purses.

One of my dd's roommates was never allowed to eat junk food growing up. Guess what every single meal she consumes consists of? She refuses to eat any more veggies, she only eats the processed food she was never allowed to have. Dinner is routinely frozen pizza, chicken nuggets, or handfuls of Cheetos and Doritos. She won't eat anything my dd prepares and offers to share. And this girl has gained 30 pounds her freshman year.

I think learning to self-regulate your junk food consumption works far better in the long run for developing a lifetime of healthy eating habits. Kids who have too many food restrictions are usually the ones who don't ever learn to control their own eating behaviors and end up with food/weight issues in adulthood. We saw it repeatedly in our ped's practice with teens.

I am a junk food junkie so other than "be sure you can still eat the real meals" I haven't had any rules about it, that said my blood work is not looking good and I have to have further testing, so there is a very good chance that junk food will no longer be allowed in my home except for rare occasion like holidays and birthdays.

Limiting isn't bad but I wouldn't start a war over it. Anytime sweets are brought, save them for your special day, thank person politely and sincerely. If it is a special occasion outside of your day, allow one for each child and put the rest away. It works.

We have soda only on special occasions. I rarely buy ice cream. I rarely keep sweets of any type. I am in the process of making sure juice is watered down and making sure better choices are available.

I've stopped doing juice. We drink milk, tea, or water.

The children have what we call "7 o'clock snack". That's when they can have their sweet treat for the day. It's usually either ice cream or some sort of homemade cookie. That way, they don't beg for treats all day, 'cause they know they can have one at 7 o'clock.

It really is a fine line. I want them to eat healthy, but I don't want to restrict them so much that they go crazy as adults (which is what happened to me). We talk about nutrition, moderation, and health a lot.

Total thread hijack ... When I first read this, I thought you meant dog treats. Dog treats are for training and to encourage the crate as a happy place.

But, for humans, I want to instill a once-a-week treat rule. I don't think it is draconian at all. Unfortunately, dh has other ideas and brings home way too much ice cream. However, if someone infrequently brings treats on a "non-treat" day, I would certainly let them have some.

Nope. In my experience that leads to kids with food problems. My kids can have whatever they want, whenever they want it. They are all normal weight...actually a bit on the thin side...and they do not over consume junk food.

All their friends who have rules restricting it in their homes, come over here and want to do nothing but eat treats. They're out of control with it. We are friends with one family who attends my dd's ballet performances. During intermission, they go out to the lobby and buy an absurd amount of candy, and the girls hide it in their purses.

We are a nation full of people addicted to junk food. I don't think all of them are just the product of parents who were too strict with junk food. I think there are many factors. What exactly is moderation? Some families would say it is too strict to make the kids eat "real food" for meals, their kids always have processed food.

I don't generally keep it in the house and treats are fairly rare, although not non-existent and my kids have stopped themselves on sugar because it just stopped tasting good. I don't think there is a magic line and certain kids are more prone to addiction to junk then others.

In dh's house growing up they had lots of junk, typical American processed food and his Mom who is just 60 is in horrid health for her age. His sister has fought her weight all her adult life. She likes to make fun of the family who used to live up the road and how the kids would come to their house for tv and junk food, although their track record isn't that hot either. Dh is overweight but not obese and our move towards healthier eating have been long but he much more enjoys real food now and doesn't crave the treats near like he used to and turns them down now as well.

I don't mean only eat treats for every single meal, but I don't like using treats to encourage my kids to stuff their faces for them.

Why not treats for every meal though? That is restricting as well. I'm assuming you say that because you don't think it would be healthy right? So where is that magic line between restricting some and not too much? Who decided who has it right? There are kids who have developed healthy eating habits brought up a variety of ways. And the same can be sad by those with bad habits. Being the majority of Americans have bad habits yet most don't come from super draconian restrictive homes I don't think it shoulders the blame.

I don't want my kids to stuff their faces but I prefer they not eat sugar on an empty belly. I know it screws up my own blood sugar a lot more than if I eat something real first. I also know as well that when I have real food before a treat then I'm less likely to overindulge. My kids are on the small side and no where near being overweight.

I do agree that restricting too much is bad, but what is too much I don't know. I have a friend that never, ever, ever lets her children have anything processed or anything with sugar period. Nothing at all. I'd say that is too restrictive. She thinks my kids eat too much junk as well and will grow up with horribly unhealthy I'm sure, it is all a matter of perspective.

Edited by soror

We are a nation full of people addicted to junk food. I don't think all of them are just the product of parents who were too strict with junk food. I think there are many factors. What exactly is moderation? Some families would say it is too strict to make the kids eat "real food" for meals, their kids always have processed food.

I don't generally keep it in the house and treats are fairly rare, although not non-existent and my kids have stopped themselves on sugar because it just stopped tasting good. I don't think there is a magic line and certain kids are more prone to addiction to junk then others.

In dh's house growing up they had lots of junk, typical American processed food and his Mom who is just 60 is in horrid health for her age. His sister has fought her weight all her adult life. She likes to make fun of the family who used to live up the road and how the kids would come to their house for tv and junk food, although their track record isn't that hot either. Dh is overweight but not obese and our move towards healthier eating have been long but he much more enjoys real food now and doesn't crave the treats near like he used to and turns them down now as well.

Well, yes, if all that is offered in a home is non-nutritive junk, that won't work either. I probably should have been more clear...my bad. I was thinking of families (like most on this board, I would imagine), who generally serve wholesome, healthy, well balanced meals, usually made from scratch. Children whose basic diet is good, nutritious food. I think that if that is the case, the majority of the time, excessive worry or restriction regarding treats in your home isn't warranted.

Now, if a child is living on a diet of sugary cereals, processed mac&cheese, nuggetized anything, no vegetative matter, and then topping it all off with a box of Twinkies and washing it down with a couple cans of soda....then obviously there is a much bigger problem then simply allowing a child a treat or two everyday.

In general, we don't keep those things in the house for two reasons:

1. I eat them....don't want to, but it always happens.

:iagree: :lol: I try not to buy too much junk, because I'm trying to lose weight. (Down 30 pounds since April!!!) I have next to no will power. But there are generally a few things around here that DD will eat and I won't. I don't make rules about what she can and can't eat, I feel like that may set up a problem with food later. She does have to ask me before she can get anything, and if I feel like she's had too much that day, or not enough healthy food, I either suggest healthy food or distract DD. I just try to use my judgement and balance out a little bit of junk with a lot of healthy stuff.

Just put the kiddos in bed and sat down to read all the responses. It has been an interesting read. Thank you :001_smile:

Funny, I didn't think we were being too strict, but it does seem like we are in the minority. I still don't think my children are deprived though, or craving sweet things. I will give it a bit more thought though.

I agree with Diane et al. that yes, there can be an issue with overindulgence if something is 'forbidden'. I don't really think that is a major reason why so many in our western cultures are overweight though.

No one in our house has much self control when it comes to store-bought treats. If it's in the house, we're likely to overindulge. However, we're both pretty good at keeping the amount of junk in our house to a minimum. I buy small amounts of treats at the store maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Generally that means 1 bag of chips and one package of chocolate a week. We usually consume both of them over 2-3 days. The rest of the time we go without.

We all enjoy food at our house, whether it's chocolate and chips, or whether it's brussels sprouts, unsweetened tea, and homemade whole wheat bread. And I that's really the attitude I want to foster for my children. Junk food is yummy, and we can enjoy it when we have it, but whole, real, nourishing food is yummy, too! :)

I try to keep healthy food in the house for the kids to snack on, and I make a homemade dessert a few times a week. As long as people eat their meals and are at a healthy weight, I don't make food an issue.

I would let the kids have the snack when your mil brings it, as long as it wasn't an "all the time" thing. Once a week is a different thing than every day or so IMO.

No one in our house has much self control when it comes to store-bought treats. If it's in the house, we're likely to overindulge. However, we're both pretty good at keeping the amount of junk in our house to a minimum. I buy small amounts of treats at the store maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Generally that means 1 bag of chips and one package of chocolate a week. We usually consume both of them over 2-3 days. The rest of the time we go without.

We all enjoy food at our house, whether it's chocolate and chips, or whether it's brussels sprouts, unsweetened tea, and homemade whole wheat bread. And I that's really the attitude I want to foster for my children. Junk food is yummy, and we can enjoy it when we have it, but whole, real, nourishing food is yummy, too! :)

:iagree:

We had some "rules" when the boys were younger, but as they got older we were more concerned with helping them learn how to make healthy choices on their own. They enjoy their treats ( as do DH and myself) but they also recognize they are just that - treats.

Well, yes, if all that is offered in a home is non-nutritive junk, that won't work either. I probably should have been more clear...my bad. I was thinking of families (like most on this board, I would imagine), who generally serve wholesome, healthy, well balanced meals, usually made from scratch. Children whose basic diet is good, nutritious food. I think that if that is the case, the majority of the time, excessive worry or restriction regarding treats in your home isn't warranted.

Now, if a child is living on a diet of sugary cereals, processed mac&cheese, nuggetized anything, no vegetative matter, and then topping it all off with a box of Twinkies and washing it down with a couple cans of soda....then obviously there is a much bigger problem then simply allowing a child a treat or two everyday.

Thanks for offering your perspective. I don't think what is done in your home is likely that much different in practice than mine.

I do see it as restrictive though. I'm choosing to make homemade foods. I choose to buy limited junk, that in itself is much more restrictive than most people I know irl, who certainly see that as limiting too much.

As I said I know some that really restrict much more than we do and some way less. WE were on a super strict diet for awhile (due to health and behavior reasons) and are trying to find our way back to our own moderation.

I also want to teach them by modelling, which for me is about setting those boundaries. Most people I know who keep a good weight don't buy a ton of junk or partake everyday, they enjoy it here and there in moderate amounts and then every once in awhile might eat quite a bit. Of course no one quite agrees on what exactly is the best way and how much restriction and access is too much or not enough.

I like these quotes as well:

Junk food is yummy, and we can enjoy it when we have it, but whole, real, nourishing food is yummy, too!

We had some "rules" when the boys were younger, but as they got older we were more concerned with helping them learn how to make healthy choices on their own. They enjoy their treats ( as do DH and myself) but they also recognize they are just that - treats.

We talk a lot about food and what purpose it serves for our body. They often ask if something is healthy and what their body uses it for. They know that some food we eat isn't healthy and doesn't help us but we enjoy it sometimes as well. I don't try to demonize any food except gluten. But to model and teach healthy self-regulation.

We talk a lot about food and what purpose it serves for our body. .... They know that some food we eat isn't healthy and doesn't help us but we enjoy it sometimes as well. I don't try to demonize any food .... But to model and teach healthy self-regulation.

:iagree: We eat pretty much everything, except meat. We're vegetarian. Occasionally we'll have fish. I do not let my kids have candy. Chocolate or whole fruit leather occasionally are the only exceptions. I see no purpose for dum-dums, nerds, skittles etc etc and we usually do science experiments or art projects or trash what we get at Halloween. (I give them my own treats or little presents to make up for it.)

My middle ds has had some candy out of curiosity or when someone gave him some while I (gummi worms I think) wasn't watching, but generally he accepts that it is not food.

I also don't buy processed cookies etc. I'd rather just bake my own. But honestly we can go weeks without any dessert type food. Greek yogurt with granola and berries is a yummy treat around here. But I don't stress them eating an Oreo or Chips Ahoy at someone else's house or whatever. Because of my ban on these types of sweet things they sort of don't look at gaudy cookies as food. They would turn down a sugar cookie with brightly colored frosting or sprinkles because it just doesn't look like food.

They also don't get soda or colored sports drinks etc.

We do however love popsicles ( I buy whole fruit or try to make my own) and we are self professed Ben and Jerry junkies---and I don't feel bad about it---gotta have some fun!

But I honestly don't stress any of this---just don't buy it, don't eat it, and if a kid is out and visiting and shows some curiosity it's fine to be an adventurous eater and not so regimented and strict about food.

I think there's more of a risk to give kids some sort of complex about it all by saying "not this not this not this" than if there were just reasonable healthy choices with some healthier treats in moderation.

And this is coming from a parent who has a kid with eating issues due to being on the spectrum----it's not going to help him if I started going all crazy restricting this and restricting that and trying to make them eat right for their gut or blood type or our locality or whatever. Specialized fad diets are a pet peeve of mine.

Exactly.

What I serve here is a far cry from what is served at the local school cafeteria.

:iagree: The food I buy, grow, and prepare for my family is nutrient -dense. I feel very lucky to be able to offer such food, as I know many can't even dream of it. If my children are eating leftover vegetable soup for breakfast, fruit and/or organic eggs for a snack, dark green and red salads and other veggies at supper, the 'treat' stuff doesn't make my radar.

Now. When Halloween or the like comes around, sure, that bugs. I won't ban Halloween, but I don't want them eating a little each day. I would rather they eat all of it quickly and be done with it.

Same with b'day parties etc. It's not like there is one every week, or every day. And no 'chicken' nuggets or whatever junk some schools like to call lunch.

Rather than "rules", we have more of a routine around meals, along with education about nutrition, sugar, fat, etc.

We have breakfast, lunch, snack/tea time, and supper. The only time that is appropriate for "sweets" (including pastries) is breakfast and snack time.

At breakfast, they understand that a small piece of a baked good is OK as long as it is accompanied by other healthier options (fruit, oatmeal, whole grain toast, etc.) The pastry is a side dish to an otherwise balanced breakfast.

Snack time is the primary time for "treats", although a fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc. is usually present as well. I don't keep items in my house that I wouldn't want my family to eat (seems obvious), so the main issue is with portion awareness. I have taught my dc to read labels, and see what a serving size of a certain food is, and stick to that. If 14 Pringles is a serving, then that is an appropriate amount to eat. Our whole family is trying to stay within the recommended guidelines of no more than 30 grams of added sugar per day, so they will often check the sugar grams on the package before choosing their snack. Giving them the info. to make smart choices is easier than making rules and policing.

In your situation with the inlaws, I would teach my kids the value of moderation. Whether at their house or your own, they can be polite and taste grandma's treat, thank her profusely, and move on to an activity without stuffing themselves with junk.

In your situation with the inlaws, I would teach my kids the value of moderation. Whether at their house or your own, they can be polite and taste grandma's treat, thank her profusely, and move on to an activity without stuffing themselves with junk.

yep my kids definitely get more sweets at nana's house. But I have rules---I don't want them eating colored and junkie type treats. My in-laws respect that, but still they love to give them cookies.

IDK I just consider it one of the perks of being a grandparent. Although I do talk to my kids about eating too much there.

I completely understand about your MIL and sweets. My mother was the same way, every.time. we saw her she was filling my kids up with sweets and junk. It was so bad that one time her friend took an apple out of my son's mouth and gave him a bag of m&m's. UGH! I was so mad, but I held my tongue because we were moving out of the country a couple of weeks later so it wouldn't be happening after that.

I've completely stopped eating sugar myself. So we don't have anything but 85% chocolate in the house, that's my only sugar. The kids get some of this once a day, and they like it! Anything else is occasional and is a real treat. Ice cream about once a month. I find that other people give them things often enough that they aren't deprived. Cookies at church, lollies after soccer, etc.

That seems very restrictive to me, but every family has their own way and if it is working for you....

Our kids get a lunch treat and a dinner treat. That may be fruit, a small piece of candy, ice cream, 100% fruit Popsicles, sweet granola bar etc. Items that combine something healthy with a treat, are given in larger portions. Pure sugar, like a sucker, would be a tiny Dumdum sucker. Ice cream (natural varieties) is a scoop or maybe two. Fruit could be a whole watermelon if they wanted it. LOL I go more off of a carbohydrate to protein ratio, than size. Then I factor in how fresh from the field it is and what is the nutritional value. I don't truly tally everything up, just a general idea.

Our older kids are healthy weight/thin. DD5 is overweight, but it is due to her genetics/medications not her diet. She is incredibly active, I am absolutely certain that if I took away her Popsicle and 5 M&Ms, her weight would not reflect the change. LOL

Our kids all eat healthy amounts of foods and don't have issues with treats replacing meals. Ds17 doesn't even have a sweet once a day now that he is older.

I guess we were more draconian than you: we didn't do sweets except on rare ocassions (like Halloween; dc had 24 hours to eat as much as they wanted of their candy, and then we tossed the rest.) :)

Thanks Ellie, that's reassuring!

yep my kids definitely get more sweets at nana's house. But I have rules---I don't want them eating colored and junkie type treats. My in-laws respect that, but still they love to give them cookies.

IDK I just consider it one of the perks of being a grandparent. Although I do talk to my kids about eating too much there.

I agree about it being a perk for the grandparents. But they don't care about colourings/additives etc etc. Anything goes. My kids get Froot Loops for breakfast. Ugh! Sadly, given their culture, there really is nothing I can do because it isn't worth starting world war 3 over.

On reflection, I really think we're doing ok. My kids are healthy, enjoy fresh home-cooked food, and beg for apricots and cashew nuts at the supermarket rather than crisps and chocolates.

Can't believe this thread is till going! I usually kill off threads really fast!

We don't have rules about treats, but have a week-ends only TV rule, and it is so much easier to enforce than a less clear cut rule. It has significantly reduced arguments and complaints, and I imagine it's the same with your new treat rule. For that reason alone I think it's sensible.

We ususally have a treat such as ice cream a 1-2 times a week. As far as other treats, we don't stock up on sweet things. I find that if they graze all day they won't eat what I cook for meals.

My sister lets her kids graze all day and she was at my house for dinner after I watched her kids all day. She commented "Wow, A---, I should cut out your snacks and you might eat dinner at mommy's house." as my niece was on her 3rd plate of spaghetti.

If my 3yo's attitude is crabby and due to hunger, then she can have a snack if it isn't close to a meal. Usually she likes a little cereal in a baggie. We try to get cereal with the lowest sugar.