Menu

Can you hear this sound?

Can you hear the sound on the linked web page?  

1. 1. Can you hear the sound on the linked web page?

• I am under 25 and can hear it.
    • I am under 25 and can not hear it.
    • I am over 25 and can hear it.
    • I am over 25 and can not hear it.
    • Other.

My sister posted this on Facebook and says she can't hear it. I can definitely hear it; it's a horrible sound that makes my eyes water and my teeth feel like they're going to fall out. It blows my mind that my sister can't hear it. Actually it makes my brain feel like it's going to "blow" for realsies. The web page says it can generally only be heard by people under 25 (I'm 40), and is sometimes used to deter teens from loitering in malls and shops. I certainly wouldn't "loiter" (or shop) anywhere near that horrific sound.

So now I'm curious can you hear it?

http://theoatmeal.com/quizzes/sound/

Edited by MamaSheep

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Blech - that was weird. I couldn't really "hear" it but there was obviously a noise and I could tell when it started and I couldn't wait to stop it. It made my ears feel funny and my flesh crawl and my teeth tingle or something.

eta: My 13 year old could hear it wondered what in the heck I was listening to. I apparently can't "hear" it as well as I thought because he said it was loud, like a ringing in your ears. He didn't know I was listening to it and the tv and dishwasher were both on and he still heard it from the next room and wondered what it was.

Edited by jcooperetc

I had to focus to hear it. If it was just being played and I wasn't actively trying to hear it, I don't know if I would.

ETA: It didn't bother me like others are describing. It just seemed like a high pitch noise. BTW nails on a chalk board don't bother me either. So maybe it's just me? .....And I am 32

Edited by jewellsmommy

Okay. I got up enough courage to try it. I could hear a high pitched sound for a few seconds,and then it stopped. And the sound wasn't very loud IMO. I'm almost 31. BTW, does the audio only last a couple seconds, or am I only hearing it that for that long b/c of my age?

Edited by amselby81

I voted Other, though technically, I suppose I should have voted I can't hear it. (I'm over 25, btw.)

I can't hear anything, but my shoulders tensed and my ears hurt and I had that "STOP IT NOW" reaction I have when my boys are making loud annoying noises. Turned it off....fine. Turned it back on, instant reaction, especially in my right ear, even the third try when I closed my eyes and ds played the sound.

His reaction (11 y.o.): "Ow, ow, ow!"

Dd16 yelled at me from the other room, "Turn it off!"

Cat

Okay. I got up enough courage to try it. I could hear a high pitched sound for a few seconds,and then it stopped. And the sound wasn't very sound IMO. I'm almost 31. BTW, does the audio only last a couple seconds, or am I only hearing it that for that long b/c of my age?

That's exactly what I thought. Not a pleasant sound, but certainly nothing horrible and just for a few seconds.

Okay. I got up enough courage to try it. I could hear a high pitched sound for a few seconds,and then it stopped. And the sound wasn't very sound IMO. I'm almost 31. BTW, does the audio only last a couple seconds, or am I only hearing it that for that long b/c of my age?

Both my children said "Ow, ow, ow!" and cringed for longer than a few seconds. I just asked dd and she confirmed that the sound lasted until I turned it off.

Cat

48 - I can't hear it. But I'm not surprised. My kids have to tell me when my cell phone is ringing.

:lol: Same here, on each of your points. (I'm 48 too.)

My kids listened, and they were terribly amused that I couldn't hear it. Hmm. I should keep that link. It may come in handy at some point!

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. It makes my skin crawl so badly I can't listen to it for very long.

I couldn't hear it, but my teenage daughter -- from three rooms away while brushing her teeth -- said "What's that awful sound?!"

I could barely hear it, but even with the window open, cars going by, and kiddo being down the hall, around the corner, and in another room, came to me and said "I heard a funny sound."

I like the idea of playing opera in hang-out spots for gangs, like street corners, and naming the streets things like Pansy Drive to keep gangs from hanging out there.

Edit: Um. :blushing:

I guess my headphones were plugged in. So, I had the machine turned up to Mach 10 from my prior try (upping the volume) - and I sat here all bummed..

"wow...you are old man...you probably need a hearing aid, better get a checkup, that really is a bummer....maybe you listened to one too many concerts and fried yourself..."

Oh. Headphone jack is in. Unplugged it.

Pushed play.

Was instantly out of my chair, bumped my knee in the jump, made me shake so bad I couldn't control the mouse to turn it off....lol

That is a horrible sound. Horrible. Worst ever. :lol:

( I wonder what I could use it for? hee hee hee)

I'm in my 30s, I can't hear it (even though I had my ears cleaned out today and I swear I can hear everything), but when it's "playing" I start to get the weird headache that I often get at the mall. Good to know my headache isn't about a lack of oxygen (my usual scapegoat at the mall)

:)

Yes, I heard it. But then again, I hear that sound lots of times (from the fridge or something), especially the high pitch part of it and nobody else around me seems to be able to. I sometimes think I have bionic ears and nose to make up for my lack of eyesight, power of observation, and memory.

UGH! That is horrible! It made my muscles clench up and my stomach hurt. Not to mention my ears hurt.

I'm 35, and I can still "hear" (and feel), when a TV is left on, but the cable box is off. That is a very unpleasant feeling as well. *shudders*

That is a horrible sound. Horrible. Worst ever. :lol:

( I wonder what I could use it for? hee hee hee)

Yep, I heard it, and I'm in my early 30's. I hate sounds like that, but that one was LOUD!

:lol: Oh my, great minds think alike! Maybe when the kids aren't listening, when you've had to repeat yourself for the umpteenth time, Mwahahahaha...

(j/k!)

Edited by Annabel Lee

Yup, at 43 I can hear it well. I have bizarre hearing though. It sounds like one of the recessed lights in the kitchen right before it blows. I will tell the kids, "watch that light" and then bang-it blows. Makes me look pretty awesome.:tongue_smilie:

Yuck. That's what "yuck" sounds like.

:iagree: I hate those mosquito tones. They feel like they're originating inside my head. :ack2:

One of the biggest benefits of getting a new TV (that I just thought of because of this thread) is that I can't hear it when it's on. It used to drive me crazy. (not actual show sound, the CRT whine. )

I'm 41.

UGH!

I'm 35, and I can still "hear" (and feel), when a TV is left on, but the cable box is off. That is a very unpleasant feeling as well. *shudders*

:iagree: At our house I am always walking into the living room to notice that the Wii has been turned off and the tv has been left on. DH just can't hear it, and the sound drives me bonkers. He can't hear my phone ring when I have it set to a mosquito ringtone, either. He's 44, I'm 37.

Yuck! I can hear it. It is a horrible mosquito-like sound. My ds16 was walking through the room next to me and asked in an annoyed sort of voice, "What are you doing?" He could hear it all the way across two rooms. LOL

ETA I'm 42.

I'm 31. I could definitely hear it. I turned it off fast because it HURT! It would definitely bug me if it was playing somewhere I was shopping. I probably would stop shopping here because that is a major deterrent to me, and I don't think I"m the demographic they want to deter...

Where's the "STUPID" button on the poll.

I'm 47 btw.

Anyway, I clicked on the link and then clicked on the sound (alone in a room) and didn't hear it so I voted "over 25 and can't hear it" and then started reading some posts and realized "My sound is turned really low on the computer."

So, once I cranked the volume I tried it again and now I can hear it. It's not really that irritating but then again I know my left ear is losing hearing so probably I am not getting all of it correctly...

I feel silly for trying to hear it on a nearly-muted computer.

In our physical science co-op class the other teacher (a really "cool" dad) brought his iPhone with an app that shows sound waves. One of the boys brought a dog-whistle app on his iPhone and played it. I couldn't hear the dog whistle, nor could the dad, but some of the kids heard it. It was neat because the waves showed up on the other iPhone. Now my ds thought it would be good to get that app and he did and now plays it when he wants to irritate a sister or two or three... So, he'll be sitting there and all the sudden whoever is in the room (besides me!) will say, "Stop that!" and he'll giggle.

I can't hear that sound, but I could hear the sound on the link.

On an interesting side note, my friend told me a few days ago that audiology is a terrific field to encourage our grown children to consider... They have a nearly 100% hiring rate and some students are getting offers a year before they graduate from college!