Menu

Respect nowdays for being a conservative "old fashioned" woman?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever she's cooking in that oven looks really, really scary. Are those roasted eels on the bottom rack?

I see what the OP is saying quite frankly. There's a lot of "reverse discrimination" on both sides of the mommy debate. How much of it you have to swallow depends on where you live, your family, and your social circle. I get the sense that SAHMs aren't supposed to be proud of their job whereas it's ok for WOHMs to be proud. My mom (feminist career woman) has actually lied to friends and relatives to cover up the fact that I SAH.

But this is just my myopic view from my teeny corner of the world...

I have never, ever heard any other meaning for the word "floosy" (or the alternate spelling of "floozy") other than a noun to mean a whore/slut/harlot. As an adjective, it describes same. Coupled with the OP's denigration of working mothers harming their children, I feel pretty justified in taking offense.

astrid

Same here, sort of. I've only heard people say "floozy". Haven't heard it with a soft "s" before. I'd never think either meant "dressed nice".

That's kinda where I ended up after all of this. I want to tart myself up and run around town.

I do, too, except part of me is worried that no one will notice me or make any disparaging remarks about my newfound Floosy Status. I mean, seriously, how humiliating would that be???

I do, too, except part of me is worried that no one will notice me or make any disparaging remarks about my newfound Floosy Status. I mean, seriously, how humiliating would that be???

This is why I want to go with tart. When one gets tarted up it is quite obvious. :D

And her shins are touching that hot over door. She's going to need a trip to the ER after the party.

Whatever she's cooking in that oven looks really, really scary. Are those roasted eels on the bottom rack?

I see what the OP is saying quite frankly. There's a lot of "reverse discrimination" on both sides of the mommy debate. How much of it you have to swallow depends on where you live, your family, and your social circle. I get the sense that SAHMs aren't supposed to be proud of their job whereas it's ok for WOHMs to be proud. My mom (feminist career woman) has actually lied to friends and relatives to cover up the fact that I SAH.

But this is just my myopic view from my teeny corner of the world...

Okay, I want in on the Well Trained Tarts club. I don't get to floosy up nearly often enough!! :D

Well, this is something you can't go halfway on. ;) You either get tarted up or you don't... and if there's a pack of us, I mean, who could miss us?!?

Aren't her nylons getting melted off her leg?

Don't worry. She's already had several martinis. She doesn't notice...

So, OP, how did you mean the term "floosy"? Did you mean s*utty?

The reason I ask: Where I live, floosy and floozy do not mean the same thing. A floozy is a cheap/easy woman. Floosy, however, just means fancy or dressed up. A woman at church might tell another "Look at you, in that floosy dress. You look so nice." I always assumed it derived from floozy, but with a kinder spin. I wouldn't be upset if someone described me as floosy, but if they called me A FLOOZY, then I'd be hacked. The difference is fancy = S sound, ho = Z sound ;)

So, could it just be being taken in a manner it wasn't intended.

ETA - If my area is the only one that differentiates between floosy and floozy, perhaps that says something about the area in which I live (or the residents?) LOL

If I heard someone say floosy (s not z) I would think they either didn't know what word they were trying to say or had a speech impediment.

Rebekkah, you are cracking me up. Well-trained trollop? Sign me up!

When I go out I notice people treat me as an oddity sometimes for not being the modern norm. When I say how long I haven't worked there's crickets. The downward looks at my casual homeschooling clothes opposed to floosy office wear. The jeering in-laws about how I live in the 50's. I used to be one of these people judging the fray. I'm so glad I've changed. I'm so proud of myself.

In some ways I feel women are being taken advantage of even more now and it shows with how they treat themselves, their children and others.

I have been a SAHM, a WAHM, and a WOH mom. I have lived in 2 different states as a mom.

I have always found support and understanding of those choices and never encountered an overwhelming preference for one choice over the other (except online where, as one of those, I participated in the judgment party).

Honestly, it's been my in real life experience that most people understand a variety of choices and family styles and don't make superficial assumptions about any of it.

OP, I am sorry that your lived experience is in the company of provincial materialists. How ironic to be around narrow minded people whose life choices would ostensibly make them more wordly.

I like it with the "z". Has a certain pizzazz. Z doesn't get enough attention.

I think it needs to be a "z." Because when I see it written with an "s" it kind of looks like it involves....well, something from Mrs Mungo's road rage coping strategy.

The only way to know for sure is to pull out those mid-century recipe cards. Anybody still have a link to those? Surely someone here remembers what I'm talking about...

It's important to note that working mothers can and do keep up with all of these things too. I work very hard to put nutritious, home-cooked meals on the table every night for my family, keep up with housework, dog training, dd's activities, schoolwork, friends and needs. It takes a lot of planning, scheduling and teamwork on the part of dd and dh as well, but it these things are not unique to SAHM's only. It's not easy, but working moms do this every. single. day.

I can't help but think what would become of this world if all mothers were SAHM's. My world would be much different-- some of the world's best employees, and those who provide services that are vital to my family are working moms. I, for one, am thrilled they have chosen to balance work and family life.

astrid

I have FT working moms say this to me. Working outside the house is WORK in and of itself...no doubt. But when the kids are not at home during the day, there is also a lot less work to do at home. I don't know your particular situation, but for some of my friends, they seem to be telling me they do what SAHMs do PLUS work. Ummm, not exactly. The house stays cleaner and there is def. less work involved for the kids when their kids go off to daycare. I work PT. I have worked FT. For me working the way I do now is tons more work. I also know plenty of ladies who SAhM but their kids all go to school AND they have housekeepers. They have it made. So to speak.

The only way to know for sure is to pull out those mid-century recipe cards. Anybody still have a link to those? Surely someone here remembers what I'm talking about...

Weight Watchers recipe cards, 1974

The book is out of print, but it's available on abe books.

Be warned if you haven't read these before.... you likely will be disturbed.

Also, language concerns for those of you offended by such. But oh my... they're hysterical.

I have FT working moms say this to me. Working outside the house is WORK in and of itself...no doubt. But when the kids are not at home during the day, there is also a lot less work to do at home. I don't know your particular situation, but for some of my friends, they seem to be telling me they do what SAHMs do PLUS work. Ummm, not exactly. The house stays cleaner and there is def. less work involved for the kids when their kids go off to daycare. I work PT. I have worked FT. For me working the way I do now is tons more work. I also know plenty of ladies who SAhM but their kids all go to school AND they have housekeepers. They have it made. So to speak.

I disagree. Until this year when dd went to high school, I did both-- worked AND had a child home during the day. For instance, when you're home, you can homeschool AND get laundry done. I have to start laundry at 7 pm at night. Sometimes I am reviewing grants, doing laundry, and supervising homework-- all at the same time. My choice, I realize.

Having been both, I just don't agree that SAHM's work harder and do more than working moms, regardless of where their kids are during the day. But that's another topic for another thread.

astrid

I disagree. Until this year when dd went to high school, I did both-- worked AND had a child home during the day. For instance, when you're home, you can homeschool AND get laundry done. I have to start laundry at 7 pm at night. Sometimes I am reviewing grants, doing laundry, and supervising homework-- all at the same time. My choice, I realize.

Having been both, I just don't agree that SAHM's work harder and do more than working moms, regardless of where their kids are during the day. But that's another topic for another thread.

astrid

:iagree:I've been both a SAHM and a WOHM. Life is definitely more difficult for me while working outside the home. My house stayed much cleaner when I was home and actually had time to clean it. That said, I certainly know that SAHM are working moms, and those who are homeschooling do not have much time to put into cleaning/laundry and cooking either.

If I heard someone say floosy (s not z) I would think they either didn't know what word they were trying to say or had a speech impediment.

Rebekkah, you are cracking me up. Well-trained trollop? Sign me up!

Then I think it must definitely be unique to the area in which I live. I've even heard people say they are "all floosed up" or going to "floose this place up". :D

As I'm wanting to move so badly, perhaps I need to drop this from my vocabulary....I don't use it often, but I'd hate to let it slip somewhere else and make someone think I'm calling them a trollop LOL

Then I think it must definitely be unique to the area in which I live. I've even heard people say they are "all floosed up" or going to "floose this place up". :D

As I'm wanting to move so badly, perhaps I need to drop this from my vocabulary....I don't use it often, but I'd hate to let it slip somewhere else and make someone think I'm calling them a trollop LOL

I'd use 'spruced' not 'floosed' in that context.

I've been a WAHM and a WOHM and during mat leave, a SAHM (who still had to do some "work" most days!)

I really think that the amount of work any of us does depends on too many factors to say one group works more or less than another.

If I were a full-time SAHM, I would have had the time to train my kids to keep their area organized and help with the other housework. I would not have spent the day chasing their messes. I would cook more than I do, but not that much more, since I don't like cooking and believe it's overrated. Maybe I'd have a pet and a garden, which would add work - but that would be a choice. I probably wouldn't have maid service, which would add maybe 2 hours of work per week. But I would not have to spend as much time getting myself and my kids going in the morning and back home in the evening. I wouldn't have to take clothes to dry cleaning or make as many trips to the post office / Fed Ex or commute to work.

I wouldn't have to squeeze music practice, afterschooling, dinner, exercise, and teaching values/responsibilities/personal skills into about 2.5 hours each evening. That would mean less stress, albeit not less work. I wouldn't have to work as hard to identify opportunities for my kids to participate in activities that occur outside of my work hours. I wouldn't have to manage daycare for weekends, travel, or other odd schedules.

However, as a working single mom, I've developed strategies to get everything done in minimum time, and I'd still use those strategies if I quit working. I think (no offense) that to some extent, people do stretch out what they have to do over the time they have to do it, which can make it seem like more work. I recall a SAHM posting a list of all she did one day (her point being that it was way more than what WOHMs do), and a lot of it was the "task" of listening to her toddler cry. So some of it is a matter of perception.

At the end of the day, we all do the best we can in the situation we are in. No reason to judge or begrudge another who does it differently. Thank goodness that kids are amazing and can thrive in so many different environments.

The OP's post just confuses me. There's an immense amount of self-pride in it, and a false dichotomy as well.

Comfortable clothes -- modest, good mother

Stylish clothes -- floozy, possibly bad mothers and immodest women

Can't the OP dress more stylishly without being immodest or uncomfortable? Maybe her unfashionable clothes are causing people to give her strange looks.

Not to mention, ugly/unfashionable clothes are not necessarily modest, modest clothes are not necessarily unstylish, and one shouldn't be quick to assume someone's political stance based on how they dress. Not to mention, what's conservative to one person can be radical or weird to others. Some of my sisters in law (who live in another country) are very fashion conscious, but only wear dresses, but what constitutes "in style" rarely has to do with how much skin is exposed, it's like what kind of jeans are popular nowadays -- bootcut, bell bottomed, skinny, low waisted, high waisted, pleated, they all have different looks, but they're all jeans. Some make you look fat, some are more figure hugging, some are out of style, ...

Also yeah, some people do like the sexless mother look. The fifties housewife is sort of the ultrawoman approach. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Didn't a lot of Victorian women use v!brat0rs at the doctor's office?

But it's been amusing reading all the jumps to conclusions.

The OP's post just confuses me. There's an immense amount of self-pride in it, and a false dichotomy as well.

Comfortable clothes -- modest, good mother

Stylish clothes -- floozy, possibly bad mothers and immodest women

Yes!!! I don't leave the house looking frumpy. Not to please other people either. I prefer being "put together" in decent clothes. Jeans often, but they fit & are not loose/baggy. Make up and hair is done, as this is what I prefer.

I've never heard "all floosed up" or "floose this place up". Not anywhere I've lived. Maryland, Georgia, Tennessee. What region are you in?

I'd use 'spruced' not 'floosed' in that context.

Same here. People my mother's age say "gussied up".

Weight Watchers recipe cards, 1974

The book is out of print, but it's available on abe books.

Be warned if you haven't read these before.... you likely will be disturbed.

Also, language concerns for those of you offended by such. But oh my... they're hysterical.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did anyone's mom really cook like that? :ack2:

Thank goodness my mom was a Julia Child fan...

astrid

:iagree:

Those cooking cards I saw were so unappetizing looking- I do think that was how they counted as low calorie.

I am not sure what the OP was referring to as floozy wear- there are some stores which have no set uniform and some of the workers don't look good at all - and that includes in a too revealing state. But overall, I like workers to look neat- my son works at a nationwide drug store chain and the clothes standard there is pretty much like a lot of places- one color of polo shirt along with khaki pants. Nothing floozy about that.

I have had some issues with store workers attired and groomed inappropriately-= in one of the big home repair/garden stores I was buying garden supplies and the worker wasn't wearing sensible clothing (it was winter, she was outside, and her clothes were too thin) but what irritated me were her outrageously long finger nails. She was working the garden section and six inch fingernails really shouldn't be there. She was very slow (because of her being cold and having too long nails) and on top of that, she didn't know how to do basic math.

astrid

I think that the tendency to go back and forth on which is harder is a distraction from the real point- moms are great and we all work hard.

All that is relevant is what works for each of us and our families. One person's easy is another person's hard and vice versa. We tend to do a good job of convincing ourselves that the grass is usually greener and that whatever we do, we work hardest or someone else has it a little easier.

Personally for me I find working outside of the home while parenting to be much harder physically and intellectually. At the same time, I find being a FT SAHM to be harder emotionally, to the point of being impossible. I would lose it. I have a nice personal balance now (PT freelance from home with some hours on site with clients) but I know that just because this is what is easiest for me and my situation, does not make it easiest or best for others.

astrid

I think that it's all equal in the end.

And who really cares if someone works harder than someone else? That's always the case... I don't know why sometimes it becomes a badge of honor to be a 'SAHM who works so hard' or a 'Working mom who works so hard.' Those lists of all the things SAHMs do and what they're 'worth' are ridiculous. Fact is, I'm not an actual nurse, or a cab driver, or any of those things listed. Idk, I just think it's dumb.

As for the OP, I think it's hysterical that some people took such offense to it. :rolleyes: It was obviously a bit of a vent - I didn't take 'floosy' to mean harlot-ish regarding the general working mom population - in fact, the way I read it, it was clear to me that she was not talking about everyone.

Just seems like some people are all too ready to get offended about something and rip someone to shreds.

As for the OP, I think it's hysterical that some people took such offense to it. :rolleyes: It was obviously a bit of a vent - I didn't take 'floosy' to mean harlot-ish regarding the general working mom population - in fact, the way I read it, it was clear to me that she was not talking about everyone.

Just seems like some people are all too ready to get offended about something and rip someone to shreds.

So.................you're defending the OP by being critical of those in this thread who did exactly what she did in her OP? :001_huh:

So.................you're defending the OP by being critical of those in this thread who did exactly what she did in her OP? :001_huh:

Huh? I'm confused... I didn't criticize anyone. I didn't find her post critical. I thought it was a vent. I was just saying that some people need to chill and read it without taking offense.

One possible moral of the story: at least *some* (if not most) women are going to be offended when you throw around words like floozy, tramp, etc especially when you are already talking about a group (any group) of women in a negative sense. They are offensive words, so people are going to take offense. This is not a hard concept.

Huh? I'm confused... I didn't criticize anyone. I didn't find her post critical. I thought it was a vent. I was just saying that some people need to chill and read it without taking offense.

But you don't have the same standard or expectation of the OP? :lol:

But you don't have the same standard or expectation of the OP? :lol:

Did she take offense? If so, I missed it... sorry. If you're talking about the OP's original post, I just think sometimes people need to vent, that's all. Maybe she should have labeled it as such and people would have taken less offense. But I know that if I had people who did in fact treat me badly because of what I do/how I dress/etc and felt the need to vent, I could say some things about them that wouldn't necessarily be nice. That said, I probably wouldn't do it on here. :D But I'm just saying, I could see me after an unpleasant experience like what the OP describes, getting upset and venting about this idiotic 'floosy' (though that word isn't even part of my vocabulary - I'd probably say...uh...well, idk) who looked at me weird because I'm wearing yoga pants. Or something.

I think that it's all equal in the end.

And who really cares if someone works harder than someone else? That's always the case... I don't know why sometimes it becomes a badge of honor to be a 'SAHM who works so hard' or a 'Working mom who works so hard.' Those lists of all the things SAHMs do and what they're 'worth' are ridiculous. Fact is, I'm not an actual nurse, or a cab driver, or any of those things listed. Idk, I just think it's dumb.

I'm sorry--- as a working mom, I do get offended when someone calls working moms "floozies." That's a negative term. It's also offensive when someone goes on to say that the families of working moms suffer for their working. That's offensive. Just as offensive as when someone slams ones religion, decision to homeschool, or other life choices. Words hurt. They hurt a lot.

Perhaps you didn't mean to, but stating that you think it's hysterically funny that some were hurt by the OP's words is hurtful in itself. Since I was the first to respond that I was offended by the OP's words, I'm assuming you mean that I was too easily offended and too quick to rip the OP to shreds. Simply using the term "....and rip someone to shreds" is a criticism.

astrid

Edited by astrid

I'm sorry--- as a working mom, I do get offended when someone calls working moms "floozies." That's a negative term. It's also offensive when someone goes on to say that the families of working moms suffer for their working. That's offensive. Just as offensive as when someone slams ones religion, decision to homeschool, or other life choices. Words hurt. They hurt a lot.

Perhaps you didn't mean to, but stating that you think it's hysterically funny that some were hurt by the OP's words is hurtful in itself. Since I was the first to respond that I was offended by the OP's words, I'm assuming you mean that I was too easily offended and too quick to rip the OP to shreds. Simply using the term "....and rip someone to shreds" makes it doubly clear.

astrid

I guess that's what I'm saying... I didn't think she called working moms floozies. I didn't think she said their families suffer because they work. I just read it completely differently. I didn't see any way for the OP's words to be hurtful - like I explained above, I saw it as a vent.

I vent to DH all the time. Sometimes some of the things I say could be hurtful if the person I was talking about actually heard them. But that's the point of a vent - we can get it off our chest without actually hurting anyone, because whoever we're directing it at is NOT who we are actually referring to.

Anyway, that's just how it seems to me.

When I go out I notice people treat me as an oddity sometimes for not being the modern norm. When I say how long I haven't worked there's crickets. The downward looks at my casual homeschooling clothes opposed to floosy office wear. The jeering in-laws about how I live in the 50's. I used to be one of these people judging the fray. I'm so glad I've changed. I'm so proud of myself.

In some ways I feel women are being taken advantage of even more now and it shows with how they treat themselves, their children and others.

I thought most moms werent concerned with SAHM or Working moms, why do I or anyone else care? I wear only skirts and I dont get "downward looks"...an occasional comment, but thats it. Wear what you want to. I live in 2012, i dont know about the 50s....things were all around different then.

and i know that sounded snarky, im sorry....seriously though, Why do you care what people think about you to this degree??????? :bigear:

I guess that's what I'm saying... I didn't think she called working moms floozies. I didn't think she said their families suffer because they work. I just read it completely differently. I didn't see any way for the OP's words to be hurtful - like I explained above, I saw it as a vent.

I vent to DH all the time. Sometimes some of the things I say could be hurtful if the person I was talking about actually heard them. But that's the point of a vent - we can get it off our chest without actually hurting anyone, because whoever we're directing it at is NOT who we are actually referring to.

Anyway, that's just how it seems to me.

It's one thing to vent something like that, in private, to one's husband. It's a totally different thing to come to a public message board and vent generalized statements about any group of people. If you wouldn't put a microphone up to your mouth, and say it in public, standing on a stage in front of a thousand people you don't know, you shouldn't say it on a public message board.

It's one thing to vent something like that, in private, to one's husband. It's a totally different thing to come to a public message board and vent generalized statements about any group of people. If you wouldn't put a microphone up to your mouth, and say it in public, standing on a stage in front of a thousand people you don't know, you shouldn't say it on a public message board.

:iagree: