Menu

Do you Want to Live to be 100?

I'm not going to make it a poll or anything, but it's something very much on my mind.

I've never really seen the appeal of living to be 100 or beyond. Too many of my friends and family will most likely die before me - perhaps even some of my children. Also, as a Christian, I don't want to stay here forever. I want to go to my heart's True Home. I have no desire to stay an extra long time... heck I'd be happy if God sees fit to take me in my 60s. Honestly.

So, I'd love to know what the appeal is of living to 100. Especially since I know some people who are living a long time and their life isn't all that peachy. I know the news likes to tout out the centenarians who are still very active, but I honestly think they are the exception and not the rule.

I volunteer for hospice so I'm around older people a lot. Granted, they are older people who are sick and in hospice. But, My FIL will turn 102 this year. He was very active, both mentally and physically, up until his mid 90s. He would play chess against grandmasters and win! He swam 3x per week. Definitely no couch potato. But, since his mid 90's he has been slipping - mostly mentally. He now just sits in front of the tv being cared for by his wife and round the clock nurses.

Another friend is in her mid-late 80's. She's another very active person. She lived on the 11th floor of her apartment but would almost always take the stairs. She led Bible studies and was a leader at her church. She's dealing with dementia. She remembers less and less each time I visit her and her world is shrinking.

My grandma is turning 100 in a few weeks. If I can live to 100 like her I am all for it. She doesn't look a day over 80. She lived on her own in her apartment until she was 96. She only moved in with my aunt after my father died. The death of my father really slowed her down a bit. She still has all of her marbles. She dresses with style every day. My grandma is just fab.

If I was to live to 100 like my dh's great grandma, then, no. She outlived her money. She lived in a nursing home. The home was hours away from most family because it was better and more affordable then the ones here.

My great-grandma is going to be 99 this year and her quality of life isn't great but then I've seen some who do have a great quality of life, they are still lucid, don't have Alzheimer's or other memory problems. I've never given it a whole lot of thought to be honest though. I am fairly at peace that whenever my time comes it comes though whether it be tomorrow or in 30 years.

As long as I have someone to love and someone to love me, can still enjoy good food, sunshine and laugh and I'm not in terrible pain I'd love it. If life holds no joy or is a torture I'd want to move on.

:iagree:

I'm also a Christian and do look forward to going to my true home. But if I'm still here, then God must have a job for me to do. I just hope I can do it!

No.

I am only 47, and I have been in chronic pain for 20 years already! Another 53 years of pain sounds not too good to me:confused:.

Now, if I could live to 100 and be pain-free and not a burden on my kids, or grandkids.....but a vibrant, productive woman....then I would state differently.

It depends how well my body holds up. Dh's grandma was 101 when she died, and up until the very end when she became ill, she was still very engaged in her life. She lived in a nursing home after she fell and broke her hip at 97, but she called it her apartment, and had a constant stream of visitors. She would walk up and down the halls chatting with the other residents. We took the boys to see her frequently, and she would save the cookies from her lunch tray for them, and they knew to look in the bag hanging from her walker as soon as we came into the room. My youngest was 3 when she passed, but he still remembers her. She had so many great stories to tell of coming over here from Poland with her father when she was 15, and then getting married right before the market crash in 1929.

If I could be like that and get to spend time with my grandchildren and great-grandchildren, I'd like to live to 100.

Well, there's not much I can do about it, other than refuse medical treatment after a certain age. That decision would depend on my overall health. I'd like to live to see my grandchildren grown, but no, I have no deep desire to live to be 100.

yes, I agree. I may have an opinion but I don't have much of a choice. ;)

After seeing my Grandma reach 101 I am not that keen to live that long. She told me herself that getting old was not all it was cracked up to be. :lol:

All her friends had died, her husband was long gone. Don't get me wrong she was a sprightly, self sufficient, clever woman well into her 90's. I mean she was doing cryptic crosswords at 97!! But seeing her lose her facilities and slowly die was pretty awful. I would be happy to go in my 80's. Women in our family are loooong livers so I may well last longer than that. :glare:

I am sure going to try - I have a now 20-year-old son with autism who is disabled enough to never live alone so I NEED to stay healthy and stick around as long as possible. Eventually I hope one of his siblings will be in a position to take over.

My paternal grandma almost made 100 - only her last three months were in a nursing home. She lived in her own home (next door to her daughter) until then.

Well, my 35 year old friend just found out she has terminal Cancer. Given the choice of die young or live to 100, I will pick living to 100. I hope a few of my good friends live long as well as we have plans to live together if our husbands die younger.

My daughters are of the opinion that my living to 100 is a requirement. They will be 60 then.

Personally, I think it would be cool, as long as my brain and body were reasonably intact. I would not want to if I were getting senile or body parts stopped working well enough for day-to-day activities.

No desire. Costs too much and probably quality of life will go down. I don't want to be overly dependent on others to take care of me - diapers and all the other not-so-fun stuff (aches, pains, etc.). Off to read responses from others. :)

I'm not going to make it a poll or anything, but it's something very much on my mind.

I've never really seen the appeal of living to be 100 or beyond. Too many of my friends and family will most likely die before me - perhaps even some of my children. Also, as a Christian, I don't want to stay here forever. I want to go to my heart's True Home. I have no desire to stay an extra long time... heck I'd be happy if God sees fit to take me in my 60s. Honestly.

So, I'd love to know what the appeal is of living to 100. Especially since I know some people who are living a long time and their life isn't all that peachy. I know the news likes to tout out the centenarians who are still very active, but I honestly think they are the exception and not the rule.

I volunteer for hospice so I'm around older people a lot. Granted, they are older people who are sick and in hospice. But, My FIL will turn 102 this year. He was very active, both mentally and physically, up until his mid 90s. He would play chess against grandmasters and win! He swam 3x per week. Definitely no couch potato. But, since his mid 90's he has been slipping - mostly mentally. He now just sits in front of the tv being cared for by his wife and round the clock nurses.

Another friend is in her mid-late 80's. She's another very active person. She lived on the 11th floor of her apartment but would almost always take the stairs. She led Bible studies and was a leader at her church. She's dealing with dementia. She remembers less and less each time I visit her and her world is shrinking.

Yes. I have actually said it is a goal of mine (as much as it can actually be a goal) to exceed 100. I will grant you, I envision this with mental faculties intact and with a reasonable amount of activity. My grandfather lived to be 98 and was sharp until the end. My grandmother was 96, but she had Alzheimers for at least 10 years. There are other centenarians in my ancestry; my g-g-grandfather supposedly was 115, though I have no factual evidence to support that.

I want to live to be 100 because I perceive that as a full life. I want to see generations come after me. I want to see and experience a lot of the world and a lot of life and that requires ample years in which to do it. :001_smile: I recognize the fact that I would outlive dh most probably and others I would not want to see die, but I have been through deaths, including the death of my baby, so I guess I don't dwell on the increased likelihood of that from living long. I just assume I would have to integrate those deaths into my experiences the same way I have to integrate other deaths that we will probably experience, such as the death of our parents and beloved aunts/uncles/grandparents. It is not particularly worse to also witness the death of closer-aged siblings, friends and cousins.

Also - about Heaven. I do hope for a Heaven; I'm counting on it, but this is the only life I'm certain of. It makes sense that I would prefer this one to be longer and richer, as good as I can influence it to be, because whatever comes after is really just a hodgepodge of our best guesses and our fondest hopes.

Well no, not really.

I wanna go home to Jesus. :D Not like, today, LOL. But I've no desire to live on this earth to the age of 100.

Dh and I were actually discussing this the other day. We both agree that somewhere between 70 and 80 is a good age to die. :001_huh: Wow, we have weird conversations...

But however long the Lord leaves me here is in his hands, and I strive to use every day to His glory.

Dh's grandfather is turning 90 next month. He's still living alone, driving, etc. But his body is deteriorating. He has trouble healing, his hearing is going, his voice is getting weak. But he seems happy. :001_smile:

Sure. Everyone in my family is fairly long lived with a pretty good quality of life so I think it is a good thing. My grandpa just passed away a couple of years ago, still living in his own home, at 98. As long as I am in reasonable health I want to live as long as possible. It may take that long to have grandchildren at the rate my kids are going and I am very much looking forward to grandchildren and great grandchildren. My grandparents/great grandparents were huge in my life and I would like to live long enough to matter to them and give them those memories.

One of my grandmothers lived to be 103. She had a good quality of life until the end, and lived on her own till her mid 90s. She was sharp as a tack until about 2-3 days before she died, played Sudoku and crosswords on her deathbed. Physically she was not in good shape starting in her 80s from osteoporosis but she was able to keep driving (and got a speeding ticket:D) in her 90s.

She was not a very open person so I have no idea if she enjoyed life in very old age, but she definitely lived it to the fullest she could.

For me, I figure it is in God's hands. What I definitely do NOT want is to be kept alive artificially in a vegetative or near vegetative state. I've never worked so I do wonder what will become of me financially, I assume I'll outlive my husband but I hope I don't, because I can't imagine life without him.

I should add, that I try to eat and live a healthy lifestyle in the hopes that it will extend my longevity. I greatly fear dying before my kids are solidly independent.

If I am this gal:

Of course, she is only 90. lol

If I can remain useful, love, and feel love, yes. Both of my maternal grandmothers lived well until about 92/93. One lived in her own apartment until 90 and did well. Both died when they started to fade. My maternal grandmother was going to the movies. When told what it was she said, "I hate that movie!" About 20 minutes later, she 'fell asleep' in her chair. She died about 5-10 minutes later, as easy as that. All dressed up, and with her nails done.

We still giggle, "Guess she wasn't kidding about hating that movie."

Edited by LibraryLover

70? My mother practically looks like a beauty queen, and until last year was still skiing (only the bunny slope). She babysits her youngest grandchild, attends all of my childrens' events, and is taking one of my children to visit a college out of state this month while I am out of town with a sibling. She also hosts her weekly bible study, and hands out food to thepoor and homeless in the city once a week from a food truck. What would we all do without her?

Well no, not really.

I wanna go home to Jesus. :D Not like, today, LOL. But I've no desire to live on this earth to the age of 100.

Dh and I were actually discussing this the other day. We both agree that somewhere between 70 and 80 is a good age to die. :001_huh: Wow, we have weird conversations...

But however long the Lord leaves me here is in his hands, and I strive to use every day to His glory.

Dh's grandfather is turning 90 next month. He's still living alone, driving, etc. But his body is deteriorating. He has trouble healing, his hearing is going, his voice is getting weak. But he seems happy. :001_smile:

Edited by LibraryLover

I see this life as my reward, or at least, the only reward I know for sure of. I want to make the most of it, and live as long as I can be engaged and healthy.

I think it's impossible for young, healthy people to know or imagine very well what we will feel like when we are old and less able physically, or mentally for that matter. I will say that when I was younger, I scoffed at women who gave birth unmedicated and breastfed toddlers. Why would anyone put themselves through that?? I thought. Then, I learned.:001_smile:

As long as I have someone to love and someone to love me, can still enjoy good food, sunshine and laugh and I'm not in terrible pain I'd love it. If life holds no joy or is a torture I'd want to move on.

:iagree: I actually have a fear of getting old and being in a position of pure unhappiness. I had a great grandmother that lived to be 104. She died when I was about 22 yrs. old. I remember being a little kid and visiting her in the nursing home. She just wasn't there mentally. She would ask us little kids if we were married and who we were related to. Then she would get distracted by something momentarily and ask the same questions as before. We all hated it. We were kids, we didn't understand what was really going on. She always had something broken because she fell alot. When I think of getting older, I think of her. My grandmother is 90 now and she is doing fairly well. She lives alone and refuses to consider any other living arrangements. However, she is plagued with medical problems that affect her life in a negative way. It hurts my heart.

All I know is that I'm 44 yrs. old and those years ahead are looming over me, especially as my doctor is starting to tell me I'm at risk for this, that and the other. I'm on the border of diabetes 2, my cholesterol levels are not quite where they should be, and I'm still in the danger zone from my 15 years of smoking. I've been smoke free for 12 years now but I've got 3 more to go to be out of that danger zone. I had a wellness assessment in December that scared the nuts out of me. Even though I had started making positive changes in September, I still worry it was too little too late. These are just things I never thought about until I hit my 40s.

The thing that scares me the most about growing old is the money. I have no idea how we will live. Right now my dh is unemployed, we have no savings, no retirement, no college funds, no home that we own. It's been really tough for us. My MIL does own her home and will leave it to us, so maybe that's our saving grace. But most of the older people I have been around closely in my adult life have had some kind of retirement. Teacher/state retirement or pension. What on earth do you do without that? It scares me.

I also don't have any real health problems at 44 but I am quite overweight. But have never been able to get a real handle on it. It doesn't bode well for living a long time.

So, no, I don't really want to live to be 100.

Only if I am still healthy and have my wits about me. Otherwise nope, I would rather die young than live like most people that are in long term care etc. I do not intend to go through my later years in pain or suffering, I will deal with it long before that can happen.

70? My mother practically looks like a beauty queen, and until last year was still skiing (only the bunny slope). She babysits her youngest grandchild, attends all of my childrens' events, and is taking one of my children to visit a college out of state this month while I am out of town with a sibling. She also hosts her weekly bible study, and hands out food to thepoor and homeless in the city once a week from a food truck. What would we all do without her?

Yeah, I can't believe the people who are saying they will be content to live to 70, lol! My mom is 72, and she just came with us to Disney World and kept up 100%, and went on more roller coasters than I did. When she was 70, she went on a LONG and HIGH zip line through the mountains.

Most importantly, she spends time with my girls, who are only 11 & 13. How sad it would be to die while your grandkids were still so young! If my kids do as I did, I will be 59 when the oldest has a baby and 61 when the youngest does. I *definitely* want to live far past 70!

Even if I'm somewhat decrepit, I think I could be pretty happy as long as I have a high-speed internet connection :D

Yeah, I can't believe the people who are saying they will be content to live to 70, lol! My mom is 72, and she just came with us to Disney World and kept up 100%, and went on more roller coasters than I did. When she was 70, she went on a LONG and HIGH zip line through the mountains.

Most importantly, she spends time with my girls, who are only 11 & 13. How sad it would be to die while your grandkids were still so young! If my kids do as I did, I will be 59 when the oldest has a baby and 61 when the youngest does. I *definitely* want to live far past 70!

Even if I'm somewhat decrepit, I think I could be pretty happy as long as I have a high-speed internet connection :D

I think those that say they are content to live to 70 have not had family members like that in their families.

I have no grandparents left, they all died by mid70s, 2 of them from painful diseases and much suffering, the 3rd suffered too but not as much pain, the 4th died before I was born so I never knew him. My mom is very sick with a debilitating disease, SHe is 54 and got Dx with MS just a few years ago and it is causing her daily pain, losing function of her body etc. If she keeps going in the direction she is she will not make it to 70. My dad is 58, not as ill as my mom but not a fit active guy either. He is currently on another medically supervised fad diet, has had his gall bladder removed, takes cholesterol meds,blood pressure meds and has severe apnea. His health is not ideal so I am not sure what his future holds, again on this path I doubt he would survive much past 70 unless he becomes a whole new person between now and then.

I see how my grandparents last years where, and now my parents. It seems in my lineage it is not common to make it to 70 without some horrible disease robbing you of your life making you suffer for the last years.

I think that when your lineage is like that it is hard to imagine living any longer than all of them and doing so well. kwim

You bet I do. I want to be around and watch my family grow up as long as I can.

I'm shocked at those that said they be fine to die in their 60s and 70s. My dad just turned 61 a month ago and found out just before his birthday that his esophageal cancer had spread to his lungs and liver. Even with chemo they are only expecting him to have another 9-10 months. In no way is he ready to go. His grandkids (my children) are only 12, 10 and 6, he'll miss so much of their lives.

I mean if I only live to my 60s that only gives me about 22-31 years left, that may seem like enough to some, but is certainly not enough in my view.

I think those that say they are content to live to 70 have not had family members like that in their families.

I have no grandparents left, they all died by mid70s, 2 of them from painful diseases and much suffering, the 3rd suffered too but not as much pain, the 4th died before I was born so I never knew him. My mom is very sick with a debilitating disease, SHe is 54 and got Dx with MS just a few years ago and it is causing her daily pain, losing function of her body etc. If she keeps going in the direction she is she will not make it to 70. My dad is 58, not as ill as my mom but not a fit active guy either. He is currently on another medically supervised fad diet, has had his gall bladder removed, takes cholesterol meds,blood pressure meds and has severe apnea. His health is not ideal so I am not sure what his future holds, again on this path I doubt he would survive much past 70 unless he becomes a whole new person between now and then.

I see how my grandparents last years where, and now my parents. It seems in my lineage it is not common to make it to 70 without some horrible disease robbing you of your life making you suffer for the last years.

I think that when your lineage is like that it is hard to imagine living any longer than all of them and doing so well. kwim

Exactly.

My mom is in her early 70s and she's physically worse off than both my MIL (mid 80s) and my FIL (101). She is in constant pain and makes sure everyone knows about it. She's miserable and the only topic of conversation is how bad she feels. She can't get out very well, she uses either a walker or one of those electric chairs. She's quite lonely and depressed.

Of course, I guess I could say it's all about attitude, but then again, I'm not in chronic pain so I have no idea what it must be like to live that way. I just know I don't want to end up like that.

Longevity runs in my family on both sides, so I've got a pretty good chance of living quite awhile. My grandma on dad's side lived to 101. (My grandma on mom's side is 87.) My great grandma lived to 99. Both of these were in good health both mentally and physically.

My plan is to live healthfully into my 90s, and just go quickly at some point during that decade. I don't need to specifically make 100, but I think the 90s is a good goal. As long as I have a daughter to love and hopefully some grandchildren, I want to be participating in life. I hope to be in a retirement home in that final decade, playing board games all day and eating good food with my friends!

If I could live to be 100 while loved, mentally alert, healthy, able to walk, see, hear, and generally healthy and financially independent, why not? I would love to. I have three children and hopefully grandchildren to live for.

When I was a child, I met a gentleman who was 101. He was loved by his family.

It does matter to be loved.

Ds made me promise I would live to be 100 :)

Exactly.

My mom is in her early 70s and she's physically worse off than both my MIL (mid 80s) and my FIL (101). She is in constant pain and makes sure everyone knows about it. She's miserable and the only topic of conversation is how bad she feels. She can't get out very well, she uses either a walker or one of those electric chairs. She's quite lonely and depressed.

Of course, I guess I could say it's all about attitude, but then again, I'm not in chronic pain so I have no idea what it must be like to live that way. I just know I don't want to end up like that.

I am in chronic pain. I don't talk much about it at home because who the heck wants to hear it....geez, I don't want to hear it...

I don't want to be a downer and a drag to my kids or my grandchildren. My parents both lived into their 80's and were happy and vibrant until the end....when they got sick and died.......I have been sick for over 20 years now.....I never let it stop me from having fun, or laughing, or working hard.....but, at 47, I can see the writing on the wall.....and I don't like it.

I try to stay as " healthy" as possible.....ie...I exercise, watch my diet like a hawk, staying on the slim side, taking my meds, And always trying new therapies. I try to stay engaged with my kids and husband daily. But again, I see the writing on the wall. I would be happy to stay good for another 40 years.....but that is asking a lot.

Right now, my goal is to stay healthy enough to raise my little guys. I have plans in place if I become not able.....

So, to me....I know living to 100 would be a big burden to my kids....I don't want that.

Faithe

Oooh that's a tough question. On the one hand, I would like to be there for my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and be that link to the past that still has the old family stories and history, but on the other hand, I would hate to have the issues that come with living to that long of an age. Outliving my spouse and friends or even a child (my grandfather died before his own father who was 100 when he died) would be so hard, plus the physical issues of living with a body that is wearing out. I really don't know. I long for Heaven too, but I think about the people in my own life who I wish were still here and wish they had lived longer and I would like to be there for those in my family.

I am in chronic pain. I don't talk much about it at home because who the heck wants to hear it....geez, I don't want to hear it...

I don't want to be a downer and a drag to my kids or my grandchildren. My parents both lived into their 80's and were happy and vibrant until the end....when they got sick and died.......I have been sick for over 20 years now.....I never let it stop me from having fun, or laughing, or working hard.....but, at 47, I can see the writing on the wall.....and I don't like it.

I try to stay as " healthy" as possible.....ie...I exercise, watch my diet like a hawk, staying on the slim side, taking my meds, And always trying new therapies. I try to stay engaged with my kids and husband daily. But again, I see the writing on the wall. I would be happy to stay good for another 40 years.....but that is asking a lot.

Right now, my goal is to stay healthy enough to raise my little guys. I have plans in place if I become not able.....

So, to me....I know living to 100 would be a big burden to my kids....I don't want that.

Faithe

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My parents are in their seventies. My father is still working full time, by choice, and very active socially and physically. My mother is almost bedridden. It breaks my heart . There's a WIDE variety of experiences in this life, regardless of age.

Faithe

:grouphug: I have no words but you must be amazing mom to fight through.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My parents are in their seventies. My father is still working full time, by choice, and very active socially and physically. My mother is almost bedridden. It breaks my heart . There's a WIDE variety of experiences in this life, regardless of age.

That sounds like my parents, although my dad is working for financial reasons. I think secretly he's glad. He's be bored to tears and it's hard on him being the primary caregiver for my mom anyway.

As long as I continue to be in good health, I would be glad to live to 100 or more. ;) There is some longevity in my family, great aunts who lived well into their 90s, and were healthy and independent. I also had a great uncle who lived to 107. My grandparents didn't do as well, but my parents are in their mid 70s: Dad has emphysema after smoking for many many years, and Mom is perfectly healthy. She works full time by choice, gardens, and enjoys her 11 grandchildren and 2 great grands.

Faithe

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :crying:

I want to live as long as I am able to with a reasonable quality of life.

My dad is nearly 70. He has MS but is fairly healthy. I certainly can't imagine life without him right now. Is he as agile as he was 10 years ago? Not at all. But he gets around in his van, lives in a small apartment on his SS check, comes over here for dinner and to see the boys, goes camping and fishing with us, reads and watches movies he enjoys. I hope he lives comfortably for many more years.

Barring severe disease or painful condition, I think blithely stating a wish to only live into one's 60s or 70s is ageist and a consequence of an overly youth focused culture. I think elders have a lot to teach the world about history, perspective, traditions, patience and more. Even if someone has less mobility or is becoming forgetful, their life still has value. My children have benefited tremendously from their grandparents in their lives and from meeting some of their great grandparents. Had my dad died at 60, he never would have met my kids. Had he died 5 years ago, my son would not have learned to fish or tie flies from him, or been introduced to opera with a skilled ear or learned all of the ridiculous jokes my dad tells or spent time learning to cook with him. Sure, he needs a cane to get around sometimes and there are days he needs his power chair. But looking at the impact he has had on my child's life, I am glad that he lives despite a health condition and glad that he outlived his financial resources (like many seniors, he survives SS, a subsidized apartment and help from his kids).