Menu

So if dad bought Valentine treats

"just for the girls," how would your pair of boys feel? Left out? Or manly, because Valentine's Day is really just for girls anyway?

My boys would feel left out and hurt. I would get them treats just from me to them. From Momma to just the boys. That way all kids are getting a treat from a parent. I can see my own boys feeling like the girls were loved more to be given a special treat and not them.

ETA: I don't know if their feelings would be due to their ages or due to their issues/delayed social stuff, or just because they are sensitive but even my 13 yr old would not easily grasp why the girls were getting something and he wasn't, or he would put a different meaning/intention to it kwim

My boys would range from hurt to outraged.

To be honest, the idea of my husband buying a Valentine for our girl but not our boys kind of makes me think "ewww." Either you are giving valentines to your kids because you view valentines as a time to say "I love you"--in which case all kids get one. Or you view valentines as a romantic gesture, in which case it's completely inappropriate for a dad to give one to his daughters.

I would imagine my son would feel left out if his sisters got cards and candy. When I was in school, we exchanged valentine cards and everyone got a small candy gift from the teacher. I don't see why valentine's day is considered girly. Back when my DH would give me a small gift for valentine's, I always got him a little something too.

Solve the problem by giving all the kids a gift and having both parents' names on the card.

Thank you, hive!

Honestly, I am convinced he was in a hurry and thinking the boys might feel silly getting girlish heart candy, but pressed for time and unable to come up with what he felt was an alternative gift (our boys are older). This is my dh who also makes interesting Christmas Eve gift selections when the Procrastinator's Curse kicks in. No harm intended, truly.

Anyway, I shooed his stuff off the table this morning and told him we could present treats at dinner time. I already had gotten stuff for everyone but got busy making cards with my little one and didn't have time to set them out this morning. So everyone will be fairly treated. I just felt like a mean critic - what do you do when the choice is hurt dh's feelings or hurt the kids'? Felt like a no-win moment!

Thanks for the talking points. I really do want to discuss with him all the implications of the varying perspectives on this "holiday."

To be honest, the idea of my husband buying a Valentine for our girl but not our boys kind of makes me think "ewww." Either you are giving valentines to your kids because you view valentines as a time to say "I love you"--in which case all kids get one. Or you view valentines as a romantic gesture, in which case it's completely inappropriate for a dad to give one to his daughters.

:iagree: Not to say that there are inappropriate intentions, at all, but it sounds like maybe he needs to think it through a little more.

In our house, Valentine's Day is a celebration of all kinds of love. The kids made cards for us and got cards from us and from their grandparents. Sweetly, they realized this morning when we exchanged cards that they hadn't made one for each other, and they were sorry about it.

Left out, but my son's only 6. He's definitely getting a heart shaped box of candy hugs and kisses right along with the girls this year and for many years to come! If he ever expresses some form of "Uh, I really don't want this stuff, Mom and Dad, this is for girls!" then maybe he will no longer get them. :P

But seriously, who doesn't like CHOCOLATE?

P.S. I disagree it's just for girls. Public schools, homeschool groups etc have "Valentine's Day parties" and EVERYONE exchanges treats and Valentines. And husbands and wives BOTH exchange cards if not always necessarily gifts. And I've sent my husband flowers and such for fun on Valentine's Day here and there in the past. Why not? :D

Well, if dh brought something home for the "girls" it would be just for me and the dog. My boys would have felt left out. When the boys were younger, I always did something for them for V-Day. It isn't just about girls - there has to be that male component as well to make it all work :)

For young kids, holidays are for everyone.

Boys could ask the girls to share.

I don't find this too odd and I have relatively liberal views toward gender rolls. I can see DH picking up some feminine looking candy for nieces and not thinking to get something for the boys. I only have boys, but have had girls living with us from time to time due to various family circumstances.

But, we don't do much for Valentine's day. I didn't think of getting the kids anything. Today we are making sugar cookies to share with others.

:iagree::iagree:

Why on earth would you not want your sons to feel loved???

My son would feel left out. If the "Valentine treat" was something "girly" like flowers, I would expect that my dh would get something comparable, but more suited for our son.

:iagree: But we have three boys and then a baby girl, so Valentine's Day has always been about the boys from the beginning. If it is a parent giving the treats, it should be done to show love to all children even if the actual gifts are different according to what would make the child feel loved. The boys gave Valentine's treats to friends yesterday, and they didn't just give to the girls. :)

Either you are giving valentines to your kids because you view valentines as a time to say "I love you"--in which case all kids get one. Or you view valentines as a romantic gesture, in which case it's completely inappropriate for a dad to give one to his daughters.

:iagree: Exactly!

My dh considers Valentine's Day to be romantic, and only gives a gift to me. I consider it a general "I love you", and give small gifts to the kids. I usually give dh a card.

Thank you, hive!

Honestly, I am convinced he was in a hurry and thinking the boys might feel silly getting girlish heart candy, but pressed for time and unable to come up with what he felt was an alternative gift (our boys are older). This is my dh who also makes interesting Christmas Eve gift selections when the Procrastinator's Curse kicks in. No harm intended, truly.

Anyway, I shooed his stuff off the table this morning and told him we could present treats at dinner time. I already had gotten stuff for everyone but got busy making cards with my little one and didn't have time to set them out this morning. So everyone will be fairly treated. I just felt like a mean critic - what do you do when the choice is hurt dh's feelings or hurt the kids'? Felt like a no-win moment!

Thanks for the talking points. I really do want to discuss with him all the implications of the varying perspectives on this "holiday."

My boys would be seriously bummed.

That said, my DH said to me this Christmas that he didn't like having to get something for every kid when he wants to get something particularly for one kid (he wanted to buy DD a book, but felt he had to get a book for each of them.)

"just for the girls," how would your pair of boys feel? Left out? Or manly, because Valentine's Day is really just for girls anyway?

My ds would feel left out. And it isn't just for girls. btw, in Japan, only girls buy chocolates for guys on Valentines Day. Men return the favor a month later on White Day.

:iagree: Dh leaves for work before we get up. We got up this morning to a nice array of boxes of chocolates for everyone.

The way it works in my house is DH brings home all the left-over junk from his classroom Valentine's party and anyone who wants something gets something.

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day though. I guess we all think it is a bit silly around here.

I am interested in all the replies. My family has always done special presents just for the girls from Dad and special presents just for the boys from Mama. Then everyone gets a few of the same things. Usually Dad sends flowers that are delivered :)

But, we don't do much for Valentine's day. I didn't think of getting the kids anything. Today we are making sugar cookies to share with others.

This is us, too. To me, it is a romantic holiday. Dh gets me a nice gift, and he takes me out to dinner if we have time (not this year.) The kiddos don't get anything, and we skip Valentine's parties. Dc know that someday they will have a chance to celebrate with their own sweetheart, but to me it's not a children's holiday. :001_smile:

I wouldn't think it odd for a man to get presents for his daughters, because obviously in that family it would be viewed in a different way. If dh did that, my son wouldn't care about not getting anything, but we have pretty traditional ideas about gender roles, so girls getting special treatment is the norm. :D

Edited by angela in ohio

This, exactly.

All kids or no kids. I vote for all kids. Mine certainly love the chocolate.

Hurt--probably to the point of tears.

My husband buys little things for everyone on Valentine's Day--even my Mom. It isn't obligatory, but he likes doing it and we all enjoy it. :) He definitely wouldn't by our dd's anything without including our ds. If he did, I would point out his mistake and ask him to rectify it. :glare: