Menu

would you accept this offer on house

our house is listed for $499,900 (being sold as is) and has been on the market for 9 months. OUr realtor just called and said he is writing up an offer to us for $475,000 and with no contingency whatsoever. His advice is that we do not counter, that we just accept this offer. Any opinions? This is the first house I have been involved in selling. We owe $350,000 on the mortgage and the house we want to buy is listed for 279.000 (we have not made a offer yet as we wanted to be able to buy it without us having to have a contingency ourselves)

our house is listed for $499,900 (being sold as is) and has been on the market for 9 months. OUr realtor just called and said he is writing up an offer to us for $475,000 and with no contingency whatsoever. His advice is that we do not counter, that we just accept this offer. Any opinions? This is the first house I have been involved in selling. We owe $350,000 on the mortgage and the house we want to buy is listed for 279.000 (we have not made a offer yet as we wanted to be able to buy it without us having to have a contingency ourselves)

As fast as you can.

Yes, absolutely.

Agreeing with figuring out where they are with their financing. We had 2 full priced offers on our house for sale several years ago (when the market was still hot). One was a no contingency offer that was supposedly cash. Realtor did not have us counter assuming no contingency cash offer was awesome. Went to closing and buyer didn't have her check yet from the bank and wanted our realtor to drive an hour one way to get it for her. We had our car packed and loaded for an out of state move. We ended up being able to close but her "cash" deal was not really a cash deal at closing. I just saw that house went to foreclosure not long ago.

My only concern would be figuring out where they are with their financing, but otherwise, take it and run.

Yes, absolutely.

Agreeing with figuring out where they are with their financing. We had 2 full priced offers on our house for sale several years ago (when the market was still hot). One was a no contingency offer that was supposedly cash. Realtor did not have us counter assuming no contingency cash offer was awesome. Went to closing and buyer didn't have her check yet from the bank and wanted our realtor to drive an hour one way to get it for her. We had our car packed and loaded for an out of state move. We ended up being able to close but her "cash" deal was not really a cash deal at closing. I just saw that house went to foreclosure not long ago.

My only concern would be figuring out where they are with their financing, but otherwise, take it and run.

Did that happen in Nj? Because my lawyer would have had that money proven and in escrow way before closing.

Did that happen in Nj? Because my lawyer would have had that money Provence and in escrow way before closing.

PA. I was disappointed with him (he's on several realty boards and has been in practice for 30+ years. We were a relatively small client for him and perhaps as a result he didn't give us the type of attention we should have had? He was a former LL of DH's years before we purchased a house and has an outstanding reputation). He did call lots of contacts from outside of closing to flip out about the other realtor letting things get to where they did. No check at closing and no heads up they didn't have it, and the expectation that our realtor was going to drive to pick it up for her. It was not pretty. And all on a Friday afternoon...lesson learned about closing on a Friday. If I remember correctly they did prove funds but it wasn't escrowed? I'm fuzzy now as it this was 7 years ago.

Edited by Momof3littles

Absolutely yes, provided the buyer has already been completely approved for their mortgage. Make sure it truly is a no-contingency offer, and not a "no contingency as long as we eventually get around to applying for financing, and by the way, we won't be able to close for another 9 months" offer.

I hope it works out for you, Jeannie!!!!

thanks everyone. I will check with my realtor about the buyers qualifying and financing, etc. We already have our pre-qualifying letter for when we put an offer on the house we want. Will also have to ask realtor how soon they want to settle. Like I said this is all new to me, so didn't think to ask those questions when realtor called. He said he should have the offer to us tomorrow or Wed.

As long as the closing is in the very near future and they have financing in place I'd take it. That is a great offer considering how little you owe in comparison.

Out of curiosity, has your house been appraised? I don't mean by your Realtor doing comps, but really appraised, by a certified/licensed aprraiser. Most houses aren't appraised, as homeowners generally don't want to pay for an appraisal when one will be done at closing, but in this instance, it might not be a bad idea. If the house doesn't appraise at $475K, the bank will not be able to back the loan, even if the buyers qualify. It might very well appraise for more, but with the way the market is right now, a lot of houses are appraising low. I still have loads of friends in the real estate world (I used to be a Realtor) and this is a constant issue they are running into.

Good luck! I hope it closes soon and you are able to get into a new home soon!

Yes. Without a doubt I would jump at that. It has been sitting for 9 months I would not counter or not accept it I jump at it. You have plenty of equity. I have been on the market for 9 months too. You have a lot more wiggle room then us and more equity. Congrats!!! I have been waiting for that day myself and starting to lose hope.

Edited by MistyMountain

the first time you do something like this it seems huge. i'm glad you have a realtor who is giving you a heads up about the offer and giving good advice, too.

i'm with all the others, and would say yes. (i'd ask about the closing date, but unless it was outlandish, i'd still be saying yes. at the rate of one offer every 9 months, it will be almost Christmas before you had another offer, and this one is definitely in the ball park!

:auto::auto: movin, movin, movin..... :001_smile:

ann

Truthfully, I don't know. I understand what everyone else is saying but since you are a beach locale and the summer is coming I don't know....I'm wondering if your house would be more attractive to buyers in the next couple of months. Was it on the market last summer? Or just Fall?