Menu

Do you keep cash at home?

I never have other than the $5 or $10 dollar bill in my wallet. More often than not I don't even have that much cash on hand.

Last night dh locked up our online access to a bank account because he typed the password incorrectly, THREE times. ;)

This made me think if we did not have access to our cards for one or two days, we'd be without any money.

I never have other than the $5 or $10 dollar bill in my wallet. More often than not I don't even have that much cash on hand.

Last night dh locked up our online access to a bank account because he typed the password incorrectly, THREE times. ;)

This made me think if we did not have access to our cards for one or two days, we'd be without any money.

:bigear:

I've always heard it's wise to have some cash. All it would take would be a storm (snow, tornado, hurricane, etc.) or any kind of electrical outage and you'd be up a creek. In those cases grocery stores couldn't use credit/debit cards. . . again, cash would come in handy. just my thoughts.

In the fire lock box, for crazy emergencies. It's not that much - but enough for gas and food for a couple days if there was something bizarre going on - like the situation you describe.

Also, we keep a bank of small bills and change for doing the kid's allowances, but it's usually only about $10 or so.

Dh likes to have several hundred dollars in cash stashed somewhere in the house. I'm not sure what he is afraid of... some kind of natural or economic disaster. He is more of a worrier than I am.

Your dh is very smart. After Hurricane Katrina, it was cash-only for a good, long time. Credit card machines require phone lines that were knocked out!

In times of turmoil, like after 9/11, I keep some money in several hiding places at home. And after any sudden disaster, like a pretty good-sized earthquake, the first thing I do after filling all the containers in the house with water is run out and get as much cash as the ATM will give me.

In theory I should have it around all the time. In practice, I admit that I don't stick to that.

In the fire lock box, for crazy emergencies. It's not that much - but enough for gas and food for a couple days if there was something bizarre going on - like the situation you describe.

Also, we keep a bank of small bills and change for doing the kid's allowances, but it's usually only about $10 or so.

That's what we do. We live in CA, so earthquakes are always possible. We figure canned food for a week and some little cash can't hurt if we end up with a flattened town.

and allowances, or course :001_smile:

Dh likes to have several hundred dollars in cash stashed somewhere in the house. I'm not sure what he is afraid of... some kind of natural or economic disaster. He is more of a worrier than I am.

he's smart. After the earthquakes here it was 2/3 days at LEAST before anyone had power for card transactions, and in many areas it was a lot longer. I also no longer let my car get over half way empty - the lines at the petrol stations were incredible, and many ran out (once they reopened).

I've always been 'cashless' but since our experiences I always ensure I have about $300 somewhere around. I also have an up-to-date and accessible emergency kit now.

I have a $20 bill folded and hidden in my wallet for emergencies. My father gave it to me years ago so that I would NEVER be without some cash in an emergency. I have used it once or twice but replaced it right away.

Besides that we do have cash on hand. Anywhere from $50-several hundred dollars at a time, depending on the time of the month as we get paid once a month. I just like having cash in case of an emergency.

Yes, I do.

Years ago when I was a business woman, I got in the habit of carrying $100 in my wallet for emergencies. Those were the days before cell phones...that cash could have purchased a couple of tires for the car or a night in a hotel or a meal or two should I get stranded while traveling. Okay...not all of those, but $100 gives you a bit of cushion. I never use that money...ever. If you do, replace at the first available opportunity.

We keep a mininum of $1$$$ cash stashed around the place. Bail works best with cash, ya know. ;)

In each car is an envelope with $10 in it. When the boys were new drivers with no debit cards that $10 bucks meant I could be sure they could always put a few gallons of gas in the car.

I like having cash around.

We do. My DH travels at times and my bank card only functions as a credit card, not a debit card, which means I cannot use the ATM (weird banking rules here). We keep enough cash at home to cover any emergencies that might arise for which I wouldn't be able to use a credit card.

Also we have weekly employees who are paid in cash, so I have to have cash for that each week, as well as home water delivery, gas delivery (for cooking), etc.

We do keep our cash locked up though, except for small amounts in each of our wallets.

I have no paper money anywhere. I have a handful of change in my change purse, in my ashtray in the car and in a 5 gallon water bottle at home. I always have to borrow from the kids if I need cash and one of them is trying to go cash free as well.

I'm curious what it means to try and go cash free?

My hubby is the same. Since we live in California, the possibilities of eq and being without power for a few days, it is necessary. Whether its a manmade or natural disaster, it's recommended you always keep enough cash to function for a few days. The Feds have been preaching about having an emergency kit ready for any possibility.

Yes, I do. In each car is an envelope with $10 in it. When the boys were new drivers with no debit cards that $10 bucks meant I could be sure they could always put a few gallons of gas in the car. I like having cash around.

What a great idea. I usually do have at least 100 cash in my purse, but never thought to keep gas money in the car.

Well, not cash so much, but I do have a separate savings account at a bank that is not our regular bank, so that if something does go wrong at our bank and tie up all our money I can deal with it.

In the eighties my grandparents had to file bankruptcy and their bank accounts were frozen. My grandmother had a tiny business, cash only, selling eggs, and the bank couldn't freeze her money and she kept them in groceries and gas until things got better. It wasn't a lot, but when she didn't have access to her bank account a little cash went a long way.

I'm curious what it means to try and go cash free?

She wants to start using a debit card so she doesn't have to keep track of $1 bills and loose change. I haven't quite figured out the best way to do this yet. We will probably get her a reloadable Visa card that cost $3 each time you put money on it because it is the lowest risk and cost (in comparison to a bank account and debit card).

I think that the fears of not having cash are a little over exaggerated. I used to be the cash manager at a very large electronics store (think bigger than Best Buy). One time I couldn't bring our registers up before opening (major IT issue) so we couldn't even ring up transactions and yet we still managed to conduct sales until I could get the IT department to get the system up and running. We used a calculator and accepted checks, cash and processed credit card transactions the old fashioned way and this was for non-essential items. Of course, I am an old timer and I remember before everything was computer based so I knew that it could be done. It is possible that some store managers may have no idea how to conduct business if there systems are down. I would think that ones concerned about sales would figure it out pretty quick though.

ETA: Come to think of it, I remember when we had a tab down at the general store. Yeah, I am that old. ;)

Edited by KidsHappen

Yes. We have food storage, water, and extra basics in the garage, and cash, guns, and 2 extra months of prescriptions in the gun safe. Every time I refill a bottle I rotate the medicines, but you never know what may happen. Power outages, earthquakes, or any other unknown thing could happen and make it hard to get all of those things.

We don't, but we keep enough supplies on hand for a weather emergency. If need be, we could probably go a month without getting anything. If the need were really bad, we could go longer as we're rural and there are plenty of deer, etc.

I'm not fond of keeping cash around. It's too easy to lose or spend. If an emergency came up that destroyed the house or robbers, etc, the cash would be gone.

Did anyone else read the thread title and think, "Aha! I know who to "visit" in the middle of the night now!" :D:D:D

I thought "Do you keep cash at home?" followed immediately by "and where? wallet? glove compartment? freezer? mattress? safe?" What's the combination? anything cute and memorable? just curious :lol:

I know no one here is really fishing for theft opportunities, but it's funny how much one is willing to share "among friends" online that you would never put on a billboard.

We pay all our bills online and my husband and I each get so much out of each paycheck in cash. So yeah, we have a little cash sitting around. We also have two pots of change, one for "silver" coins and one for pennies. It's amazing how quickly change adds up. I'm currently saving to purchase ANOTHER Glock. :D

I think that the fears of not having cash are a little over exaggerated. I used to be the cash manager at a very large electronics store (think bigger than Best Buy). One time I couldn't bring our registers up before opening (major IT issue) so we couldn't even ring up transactions and yet we still managed to conduct sales until I could get the IT department to get the system up and running. We used a calculator and accepted checks, cash and processed credit card transactions the old fashioned way and this was for non-essential items. Of course, I am an old timer and I remember before everything was computer based so I knew that it could be done. It is possible that some store managers may have no idea how to conduct business if there systems are down. I would think that ones concerned about sales would figure it out pretty quick though.

ETA: Come to think of it, I remember when we had a tab down at the general store. Yeah, I am that old. ;)

A very short-term issue at ONE store with credit cards and checks used on discretionary items is quite different than an entire region not being able to electronically process sales on basic provisions. One, it's not nearly as practical to slow down transactions when you have lines of people out the door. Two, in a "needs" scenario, they aren't concerned about sales, because they don't have to be (see above re lines out the door).

It's just a completely different scenario. In your case, there was a short-term glitch at one store that sold discretionary items. The 'outside world' at large was not affected. That is not a valid comparison to a long-term issue at EVERY store, with people trying to buy the bare essentials, and with the world outside the stores massively affected as well with a myriad of additional issues (so that it's certainly not as simple as just driving out of town for supplies).

In the event of a true local emergency, you will want cash, I promise you.