Menu

"Really, there’s something of the homeschooler in all of us..."

I hadn't seen that article. Interesting, and a lot more fair than many, so I'm happy.

I did find this to be a little odd:

quote]But my husband and I are loyal to what we call “detachment parentingâ€: we figure we are doing a good job if Milo is just as confident and comfortable without us as he is with us.

:001_huh: ...because homeschooling means that your kid won't be comfortable without you hovering nearby? I'm pretty sure that's something a lot of homeschooling parents want too (even if our more clingy kids don't always cooperate!).

Hey, there's a WTM boardie quoted in there!

I was interviewed for an article for the Washington Post back a few months ago and they took a different spin on the trend of urban homeschoolers (at least here in DC) - they assumed that it was because there weren't enough slots at good charter schools and out of bounds public schools. I didn't know that was going to be the slant when they used us as the "poster children" (it's certainly not why we decided to homeschool). I really think this article is much more on the mark about the reasons for this demographic trend.

Hey, there's a WTM boardie quoted in there!

I was interviewed for an article for the Washington Post back a few months ago and they took a different spin on the trend of urban homeschoolers (at least here in DC) - they assumed that it was because there weren't enough slots at good charter schools and out of bounds public schools. I didn't know that was going to be the slant when they used us as the "poster children" (it's certainly not why we decided to homeschool). I really think this article is much more on the mark about the reasons for this demographic trend.

My MIL sent that article to me to read... I recognized your name from here :o)

Jodie

Wow! I feel so... so... trendy.

I do have to say, though, that we've been homeschooling for a year and a half and have yet to receive our chickens. With whom do you think I should file a complaint? State DoE? Local school board?

They made it sound so hip.

I wish homeschoolers in the 80's and early 90's had such good press. But no, it was all about the denim jumpers back then. It took us 20 years to shake that image!

Funny that the chickens remained constant, though.

You can be fundy, survivalist, or an urbane holder of a degree, but you gots to have chickens.

I do have to say, though, that we've been homeschooling for a year and a half and have yet to receive our chickens. With whom do you think I should file a complaint? State DoE? Local school board?

They made it sound so hip.

I wish homeschoolers in the 80's and early 90's had such good press. But no, it was all about the denim jumpers back then. It took us 20 years to shake that image!

Funny that the chickens remained constant, though.

You can be fundy, survivalist, or an urbane holder of a degree, but you gots to have chickens.

Yeah - that was a weird correlation to me. And here all I thought we had to do was to teach our kids. . .

Dude, the chickens are highly overrated. Our chickens keep getting eaten by chicken hawks, raccoons, possums, foxes, or my Lhasa Apso. And the kids complain about feeding them.

:tongue_smilie::lol:

I liked the article. It presented a balanced, mostly positive view of homeschoolers while addressing real potential problems (artificially-created social groups). Of course, I don't consider my artificially-created social group to be any worse than our local ps's artificially-created social group.

I liked the article. However it assumes hs children interact with other hs children exclusively, which is not always the case. None of my ds's friends are hs (and we don't have chickens -unless you count the one we had for dinner Saturday night). On the plus sides it says hs is going mainstream, so the old stereotype of hs=religious nutter/tree hugger is somewhat debunked. All in all a positive article. I'll pass it on...:001_smile:

I thought it was interesting... a pretty decently balanced article. And I think that "detachment parenting" to her is kinda the "free-range parenting" thing in a way. I think it was also a way to justify that even though they know this time is short, they'd rather plug ahead with their child in school becoming "self-sufficient".... After all they like the way he's growing up. (course, he's 4, right??)

Interesting article!

Just curious has anyone read the book mentioned in the article called Kingdom of Children by Mitchell Stevens? It mentions it on the first page. The article says it is about the history of homeschooling. I think I found it here on amazon. Looks interesting, just curious if anyone has read it and if it is any good?

Interesting article!

Just curious has anyone read the book mentioned in the article called Kingdom of Children by Mitchell Stevens? It mentions it on the first page. The article says it is about the history of homeschooling. I think I found it here on amazon. Looks interesting, just curious if anyone has read it and if it is any good?

I've read the Mitchell Stevens book and reviewed it for Amazon here.

In regards to the Newsweek article, I suspect Ms. Perlstein would consider our family fashionable yuppie HSers. While we are Christians, our primary motivation for HS is not religion but academics & flexibility. We do love our field trips to museums and other attractions. We belong to an inclusive HS group. I just cooked squash soup in my slow cooker the other day :D I've even floated the idea of getting chickens to raise (though DH has yet to agree to it:tongue_smilie:).

Dude, the chickens are highly overrated. Our chickens keep getting eaten by chicken hawks, raccoons, possums, foxes, or my Lhasa Apso. And the kids complain about feeding them.

What?! DH and I only agreed to this hs'ing thing because of the chickens!

We've been had.

Persistance pays off. :D

An article posted here recently claimed that in the next few years homeschooled kids would be the "cool kids," or something to that effect.

When I told my boys, they said, "It's about time."

Where do I pick up my chickens!? I would love a few, but DH isn't having any part of it.

I just have to say I (mostly) love this article. Especially compared to most the drivel and stereotypes out there about homeschoolers. Finally a homeschooling article I can relate too. And thank you Rivka for participating! :D

It is a positive article but I think it is so b/c the mom/dad are educated, middle-class, non religious. To me the implications are if you are non-educated, religious, with not so much money than homeschooling is harmful to your family and is open to criticism.

My husband and I are mainstream, educated, our kids have been to public & private schools. I pulled them out for academic & social reasons. Although we are Christians and that wasn't the primary reason initially - now I see biblical teaching as a high priority in our schooling. It's funny though that when I leave that piece out of my explanations for homeschooling I get more positive feedback from people about what I do.

Funny, skewed, biased, politically motivated world we live in and everybody's a critic.:tongue_smilie:

I'm so happy to read a positive article about homeschoolers. OTOH, does anyone else think that its positive portrayal stems partly from the social acceptability of homeschooling for academic, rather than religious, reasons?

Not sure what I think of that. I guess I've honestly changed my reasons for HSing over the years. I don't homeschool, and never have, for religious reasons, but in our case the social benefits of NOT being in school are so obvious-it's definitely entered into my thinking as my kids consider going to school for high school.

Persistance pays off. :D

An article posted here recently claimed that in the next few years homeschooled kids would be the "cool kids," or something to that effect.

When I told my boys, they said, "It's about time."

My DD has managed to convince most of her dance friends that THEY want to be homeschooled. Of course, she did this at the same time that she was whining to me about not going to a "real school" :tongue_smilie:. And one reason why SHE wants the iPad for school is that "NO ONE gets to use an iPAD for THEIR school!"

While this is one of the most balanced articles I've read recently, I dislike the subtle comments by the author that imply parents homeschool because they can't stop attachment parenting or will miss the kids so much that they need them home to make the parent happy. While I love my kids and enjoy their company I'm not homeschooling to feed my own needs, the choice was actually made with their education as the top priority. Homeschooling isn't all about me--it's all about them. I think it just feeds the paranoia of those unfamiliar with homeschooling to imply that parents make this choice based on parental needs or control rather than the best interests of the child involved.

(Also, just discovered that my iPad will auto spell homeschool and homeschooling! That is a trick none of our computer spell checkers can handle.)

I'm so happy to read a positive article about homeschoolers. OTOH, does anyone else think that its positive portrayal stems partly from the social acceptability of homeschooling for academic, rather than religious, reasons?

Not sure what I think of that. I guess I've honestly changed my reasons for HSing over the years. I don't homeschool, and never have, for religious reasons, but in our case the social benefits of NOT being in school are so obvious-it's definitely entered into my thinking as my kids consider going to school for high school.

I think so, Catherine.

And I find myself nodding along to your second paragraph too. When we started homeschooling, both DH and I thought, "Well, of course the kids will go to high school!" And then we met some "typical" high schoolers and we've visted the "typical" high school and we've rethought that too.

I was kind of laughing about the "fashionable" part at the beginning. I do it strictly for the glamour ;)
You know it is so chic to stay up late, cutting up letter tiles for AAS, then getting up at the crack of dawn to kill and gut the chicken you are going to mummify for SOTW.

:lol:

Where do I pick up my chickens!? I would love a few, but DH isn't having any part of it.
See, now. I thought it was worms. Vermicomposting in the kitchen is what makes us, oh, so trendy.

I think we take that up with PHP. I mean, SWB DOES live on a farm and she is our main supplier of homeschooling advice so it only makes sense that that is where we are supposed to be getting the chickens. I keep checking the site but still haven't seen chickens for sale. :confused:

While this is one of the most balanced articles I've read recently, I dislike the subtle comments by the author that imply parents homeschool because they can't stop attachment parenting or will miss the kids so much that they need them home to make the parent happy. While I love my kids and enjoy their company I'm not homeschooling to feed my own needs, the choice was actually made with their education as the top priority. Homeschooling isn't all about me--it's all about them. I think it just feeds the paranoia of those unfamiliar with homeschooling to imply that parents make this choice based on parental needs or control rather than the best interests of the child involved.

:iagree:

It was a good article until she threw in the stuff about her family's choices and made them sound superior. It was almost as if she was saying "S___ you. I'm not getting sucked in to your world. Here, take that!"

:iagree:

Whatever happened to journalists leaving their personal lives out of their articles? :001_huh: I miss that.

I thought it was pretty good for a hs'ing article but her definition of attachment parenting is not mine. My kids are already fairly self reliant and we really push towards independence yet they are generally with us all the time. It doesn't mean we coddle them or keep them in some bubble. Her goal for parenting just sounds like a new way to say you want your kid to be bullied and such.

I will reply before I read the rest of your thoughts...

Overall, I say, "Yay!" A nice article, score one for hs-ers in the media! I can be thankful for that.

I understand the writer's focus is on urban parents; I find it interesting that there was no detour discussion about WHY these parents most likely seriously consider home schooling in the first place. Fact is, many of the urban schools are dangerous and ineffective, and the private school alternatives are outta sight expensive. Of course I get the we-don't-want-to-give-up-the-best-of-our-kids'-day motivation, I just think frugal is the new popular trend and that the first thing many of these new urban hs-ers may actually be looking for is more value for their dollars and time. (JMO)

And so the latest spin: forget those wacky evangelicals, home schooling is now urban, artisan and hip. It's just too bad there's not even a nod to the geeky, religious generations that fought for the rights "modern" parents have to choose home schooling as a viable option.

But, again, no major complaints here. How much can one expect from a short, slanted bit of writing in the popular media? Despite its slant, I think it is *positive* press, and that's better than what home schooling often receives.

Now I'll read backwards and see what the rest of you think... Thanks, MFS!

Interesting article!

I read the book a while back and thought it was excellent. He does a great job at unpacking some of the institutional/organizational history of the homeschooling movement. I was glad to see in this article that he's made it to Stanford.

And, nice article. I also was happy to see our boardie friend. I just heard that my city is now allowing backyard chickens, but considering the fact that we can't seem to keep grass alive in our yard, I'm not sure personal poultry is for us.

I homeschool, I knit, I am part of a raw milk collective...

But I draw the line at the #^*&^ chickens. There, I said it.

Oh god, all my friends are gonna stop talking to me. And then where am I going to get my eggs?

:lol::lol::lol:

You know it is so chic to stay up late, cutting up letter tiles for AAS, then getting up at the crack of dawn to kill and gut the chicken you are going to mummify for SOTW.

:lol:

See, now. I thought it was worms. Vermicomposting in the kitchen is what makes us, oh, so trendy.

Oh, yeah, if I get to choose between chickens and invertebrates whose refuse is nonoffensive, worm bucket here I come!

Yes! One of the hardest things for me over the years has been that I can't get away from my kids (even though I love them dearly)! If I didn't think that homeschooling was best for the kids, there are days when I would have dropped them off at the local public school and not looked backwards.

This actually is something that people in the neighborhood ask me about - "Don't you get tired of being with them 24/7?" And my answer is "Yes. That's why I send them off to Grandma's or outside to play etc. We don't live in each other's pockets."

I think we take that up with PHP. I mean, SWB DOES live on a farm and she is our main supplier of homeschooling advice so it only makes sense that that is where we are supposed to be getting the chickens. I keep checking the site but still haven't seen chickens for sale. :confused:

:iagree::iagree::iagree: WTM Chickens :) They would be home grown, organic chicks, right??:lol:

Well, since the hubby and I had a fabulous tiff just this morning about my many chickens, I'm sure it would make him awful happy if I started re-homing them to my fellow homeschool families. :tongue_smilie: Who needs chickens? I got 'em!

(unfortunately, most of my chickens are fancy breeds, so they won't do you much good in the egg-laying, self-sufficiency department. but since we're all doing this because it's fashionable and trendy, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have fancy chickens, anyway? Fashion accessory chickens!)

Well, since the hubby and I had a fabulous tiff just this morning about my many chickens, I'm sure it would make him awful happy if I started re-homing them to my fellow homeschool families. :tongue_smilie: Who needs chickens? I got 'em!

(unfortunately, most of my chickens are fancy breeds, so they won't do you much good in the egg-laying, self-sufficiency department. but since we're all doing this because it's fashionable and trendy, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have fancy chickens, anyway? Fashion accessory chickens!)

Well, sure. We'll just have to knit up some artisan chicken carriers like the ones all the Hollywood starlets tote their Yorkies around in.

Well, sure. We'll just have to knit up some artisan chicken carriers like the ones all the Hollywood starlets tote their Yorkies around in.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

With little bandannas because they are 'therapy' chickens....they help calm our nerves in dealing with our little homeschool darlings...

I liked the article better than many, but thought the doubts she brought up occasionally a little disingenuous. What happens when homeschooled kids become teenagers and rebel? Well, why not ask some people who are homeschooling teenagers? It isn't such a new phenomenon that those people don't exist yet.