Menu

Is it time to change the calendar (please read article before voting)?

Change the calendar?  

1. 1. Change the calendar?

• I can't believe I'm saying this...but it sounds like a good idea
    • No way! Keep your paws off my calendar.
    • Other: please comment

Well... on a personal level, I can't imagine it'd be any more annoying than adjusting to these constant Facebook changes! We'd all gripe and complain for the first year, some would continue griping for a few years, but we'd all adjust and be just fine.

That said, I don't see how it's worth it. So what if it changes from year to year? Is anyone really bothered by that?

I wouldn't care one way or the other because it makes no difference to me. I don't run into any problems with the calendar the way it is. Americans, however, are notoriously resistant to change. We have yet to adopt the metric system and a great deal of the population still considers Pluto a planet, that there are only four oceans, that Australia is a continent and so on. Of course, if it was insitituted from the top down we really would have any choice but to comply and complain.

Edited by KidsHappen

Having had to figure out class syllabi, I empathize. I do think that it would be like the metric system in the US, though-very, very hard to get adopted, especially given the digital infastructure. And even that might be a tempest in a teacup for most users. Having had multiple computers with dead CMOS batteries in my life, I've never seen one freak out because it has a 2007 manufacture date but it's hard coded ROM says it's 1980-and it's an easy reset.

I would care one way or the other because it makes no difference to me. I don't run into any problems with the calendar the way it is. Americans, however, are notoriously resistant to change. We have yet to adopt the metric system and a great deal of the populations still considers Pluto a planet, that there are only four oceans, that Aulstralia is a continent and so on. Of course, if it was insitituted from the top down we really would have any choice but to comply and complain.

Where does it say Australia is not a continent? I've never seen anything different, so I'd love to see the reference.

Agreed on the metric system! Why do we cling to pounds, ounces, and inches? For baking, I convert everything to grams. Makes life so much easier.

We'll end up with the age old issue of the seasons and calendar being off, which is why the Gregorian Calendar was invented in the first place. :glare:

Um. The article says that it is not nearly as accurate.

The seasons wouldn't be thrown off because of the "leap week" every 5 or 6 years. The article did say the seasons would be off by as much as three days, but that doesn't seem like much to me.

I like the idea. The order, the consistency all appeal to me. With one huge exception. I would HATE for Christmas to be on Sunday every year. It really messes everything up for our family. That one factor would nix the idea for me. But if Christmas was consistently on any other day, I'd be game.

For all children born in that 5th or 6th year's "Xtr" week, when would their birthdays be in the following years? You'd only have a birthday every 5th or 6th year?

I think the Hanke-Henry Permanent Calendar is more problematic than it's worth.

Sort of like people born on the extra February on leap year. They only have a birthday every 4 years.

I want accuracy more than convenience.

For those who are complaining it's not accurate - does being 3 days off the seasons make that big of a difference? Is there some other way it's not accurate, or some reasons 3 days off the seasons make a big deal. Maybe to farmers? I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Nope! leap years?! That's not a good idea, imo. If I'm getting an extra week, I don't want it smack dab in the middle of winter. I want it when the weather is nicer.

My life is already so predictable, I like a little variety in years.

I say forget the calender and lets work on the getting the metric system implemented. :)

No, thank you very much. I wouldn't mind changing to metric, but I don't care for the idea of a different calendar. I don't see how a leap week would be more simple than a leap day. I wouldn't want holidays and whatnot to fall on the same day every year. I guess I don't see that calendar plan as being any easier than what it already is.

No. I do not like the system proposed. It is, by the author's admission, less accurate, and I doubt his claims of it being more convenient.

Sure, Christmas could always be on a Sunday, but that would put every day the same every year, which means if your birthday is on a Tuesday, it is on a Tuesday forever and you'll never get that extra-fun weekend birthday. EVER. That totally sucks, IMO.

I'm totally for it. But, I spent 10 years of my adult life working in scheduling, so maybe that is why. The problem with the calendar now isn't the leap year every 4 years, it is the fact that the months have different days. It makes planning things that are every 3 weeks, or every 4 weeks, or what not, a huge pain. Add in the problem of rescheduling based on the different dates each year and wow, what a headache.

I would care one way or the other because it makes no difference to me. I don't run into any problems with the calendar the way it is. Americans, however, are notoriously resistant to change. We have yet to adopt the metric system and a great deal of the populations still considers Pluto a planet, that there are only four oceans, that Aulstralia is a continent and so on. Of course, if it was insitituted from the top down we really would have any choice but to comply and complain.

Hang on, what? There are more than four main oceans? And Australia isn't a continent??? :001_huh:

Nope! leap years?! That's not a good idea, imo. If I'm getting an extra week, I don't want it smack dab in the middle of winter. I want it when the weather is nicer.

My life is already so predictable, I like a little variety in years.

I say forget the calender and lets work on the getting the metric system implemented. :)

I think the 'leap week' idea sounds way worse than having just one day every four years. All that work to make everything exactly the same and then they go and throw an extra week in there? Yeah, not any better than what it is now...:glare:

No, thank you very much. I wouldn't mind changing to metric, but I don't care for the idea of a different calendar. I don't see how a leap week would be more simple than a leap day. I wouldn't want holidays and whatnot to fall on the same day every year. I guess I don't see that calendar plan as being any easier than what it already is.

:iagree:

I would HATE for every Christmas to be on a Sunday. That idea sucks. DH works every 4th weekend, so the chances of him working on Christmas day would be MUCH more likely if it's always on Sunday. That's a terrible idea.

Overall the whole thing just sounds boring. Just feels a little too monotonous to me.

I hate it, can you tell? :D

No. I do not like the system proposed. It is, by the author's admission, less accurate, and I doubt his claims of it being more convenient.

Sure, Christmas could always be on a Sunday, but that would put every day the same every year, which means if your birthday is on a Tuesday, it is on a Tuesday forever and you'll never get that extra-fun weekend birthday. EVER. That totally sucks, IMO.

:iagree:

I'm totally for it. But, I spent 10 years of my adult life working in scheduling, so maybe that is why. The problem with the calendar now isn't the leap year every 4 years, it is the fact that the months have different days. It makes planning things that are every 3 weeks, or every 4 weeks, or what not, a huge pain. Add in the problem of rescheduling based on the different dates each year and wow, what a headache.

I have to schedule our musicals, recitals, rehearsals, start and end dates and camps every uear. I don't find it crazy to change the dates each year. We just do the first week of Dec, third week of June, etc. I would rather keep the calendar the way it is and adjust my dates.

I would not like Christmas moving to the wrong month. I like my winter months to fall in winter.

I really don't see the big hassle with the current calendar, but if it's necessary to make a change, instead of changing the months to fit the days of the week, why not change the days of the week to fit the months? So January 1 is always on Monday. February 1 is always on Thursday. February 28 is Wednesday. Leap Day (in leap years) is XTRday. March 1 is Thursday. The last few days at the end of the year between the last Sunday in December and Monday, Jan 1 are also XTRdays.

XTRdays can be work/school holidays when everyone is encouraged to volunteer for a charity!

I voted No Way! I like that many holidays and birthdays come on different days of the week each year!

:iagree: I just can't understand why having, say, the 5th of April always being the same day of the week would be more convenient. I don't even understand it.:confused: Also I think a less accurate calendar would be more inconvenient than having dates be on different days. IDK, I think it's weird.:tongue_smilie:

I say leave the calendar alone. Plus the world ends in 2012 so why worry about it ;)

Seriously though the thought of adding an XTR week in December every 6 or 7 years instead of adding 1 day every 4 years to account for the difference in time seems downright stupid. He posted it, say that everyone thought it was stupid and nothing more came of it. Getting someone else to pat you on the back and say good idea is not going to suddenly make it a good idea.

I wouldn't want my birthday to always be on a Wednesday.

I agree. I enjoy the years when my birthdays, or dh's and the kids' birthdays, fall on weekends. It is always pleasant when our celebrations can fall on the actual day. I would hate to be stuck with a life time of week day birthdays. :tongue_smilie:

I say leave the calendar alone. Plus the world ends in 2012 so why worry about it ;)

:lol:

I think we should leave the current system in place. I like that some holidays (birthdays included) fall on different days in different years.

But if someone wants to start campaigning to do away with Daylight Savings, sign me up.