Menu

Is it time to change the calendar (please read article before voting)?

Change the calendar?  

1. 1. Change the calendar?

• I can't believe I'm saying this...but it sounds like a good idea
    • No way! Keep your paws off my calendar.
    • Other: please comment

Where does it say Australia is not a continent? I've never seen anything different, so I'd love to see the reference.

Agreed on the metric system! Why do we cling to pounds, ounces, and inches? For baking, I convert everything to grams. Makes life so much easier.

From the first paragraph of a wiki article: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania)

"The term is sometimes used more specifically to denote a continent comprising Australia and proximate islands,[3][4][5][6][7] or biogeographically as a synonym for either the Australasian ecozone (Wallacea and Australasia) or the Pacific ecozone (Melanesia, Polynesia, and Micronesia apart either from New Zealand[8] or from mainland New Guinea[9])."

Of course, I know that wiki is not the most reliable place to find info it was just the quickest for finding this particular info. This is what is being taught in PSs now and how I heard this in the first place. I do believe we had a thread on this quite awhile ago. Maybe you find it with a quick search.

No. I do not like the system proposed. It is, by the author's admission, less accurate, and I doubt his claims of it being more convenient.

Sure, Christmas could always be on a Sunday, but that would put every day the same every year, which means if your birthday is on a Tuesday, it is on a Tuesday forever and you'll never get that extra-fun weekend birthday. EVER. That totally sucks, IMO.

:iagree:

Not a chance. I couldnt see the calendar so I googled it. http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/calendar.html he advocates that everyone everywhere stays on the same time. For instance, in eastern time zone, the new day starts at 7pm. :confused::confused::confused:

Theoretically, I can see how it might be a good thing, but I don't see how changing the calendar just to always have a date on a certain day is such a big deal.

If I'm getting an extra week, I don't want it smack dab in the middle of winter. I want it when the weather is nicer.

:lol:

I'd rather just keep the current calendar system, but if it was changed we'd all get used to it sooner or later. Though it sounds like my birthday wouldn't exist anymore. :(

That would be a problem! Myself and DS9 would barely escape - we both have b-days on the 30th.

I say leave the calendar alone. Plus the world ends in 2012 so why worry about it ;)

:iagree: :tongue_smilie:

I think I'd rather go to 13 months of 28 days each, with a leap day thrown in as needed. Think of the fun we could have naming the new month via a FB contest!

That sounds AWESOME! I'm voting for your idea.

Thanks for this thread, I needed a smile.