Menu

If you are a church attender

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our church is skipping Sunday School and Sunday Evening service, but keeping the regular 11:00 am service.

That's what ours is doing. I'd love to have a candlelight Christmas Eve service too, but that's not something our little church has done before (at least not in recent years). Maybe we'll add that eventually. (Dh is the pastor.)

I can't imagine cancelling church altogether on Sunday because it's Christmas. :confused: That just seems wrong to me.

As for the huge number of volunteers needed at larger churches for the children's ministry, why not just have family-integrated services for Christmas? Our church has been more and more family-integrated lately anyway, so I doubt we'll even have nursery next Sunday. I've been keeping all of my children in church with me for the last several months.

My church is having three services on Christmas Eve- a children's service at 4:30, a Traditional service at 7 and my daughters will sing at that one, and a Jazz service at 11pm. There will be a combined service at 11am on Christmas Day and another one on New Year's Day. No Sunday school and only one service rather than two. My girls are so interested in going to church that they not only want to go to the service they are in but also the Jazz service. We will see. We will also go on Sunday morning.

Our church is having only one service at 10AM, rather than the usual 10:45(so no regular evening service), no Sunday school. We won't be attending that because since it is Christmas, we will be attending the church that my FIL pastors and I believe they are having regular sunday school/morning service, but no evening service.

We will be having a wonderful Christmas Eve service (which we will not be attending because of 2 family committments that day) and our regular Sunday morning service, but no Sunday School. It would be odd not having church on Sunday, considering why we celebrate Christmas in the first place.

Our church is having a service at 11 on Christmas Day and 6pm on Christmas Eve. We have always gone to the Christmas Eve service, but I am debating which we will do this year. Actually, I have been pondering going to both :001_smile: He is the reason for the season, why not celebrate and honor Him at both!

Our church had several extra services this weekend, they have Christmas Eve services next week, but no Sunday services. We would not be going anyway. We spend Christmas morning at my parent's house and if we were to go to church as a family, it would be at their church (which does have a Sunday service on Christmas.) But we are generally too busy with family time to go anywhere Christmas Day.

I have no problem with a change in schedule to allow the ministry staff a special day with family.

Is your church having Christmas day services since Christmas is on a Sunday this year?

Ours is not. They will have Saturday evening services instead.

I don't think I like it.

You???

Dawn

We are having Christmas Eve service and a Christmas Day service. The Eve service will be full communion and Lessons and Carols. The Day service will be quiet and reflective and start an hour later than the usual Sunday morning service.

Is your church having Christmas day services since Christmas is on a Sunday this year?

I don't think I like it.

You???

Dawn

We are also having service on Christmas Eve in the evening...We rent our facility and couldn't get it on Christmas Day so we have to have service on Saturday...If not, we would have had it on Sunday like normal...

Our church has five services on Christmas Eve. There will be one service on Christmas Day (as opposed to the four we usually have).

We will also have only one service on New Year's Day (rather than the four regular services).

It does seem odd to me that in order to celebrate a Holy Day the church reduces its services. It seems even more odd that this is also done for New Year's Day.

Long prayer service Friday morning.

Divine Liturgy Saturday morning.

Two people being baptized Saturday afternoon.

Festal Vigil (2 hours, non-Eucharistic) Saturday evening.

Divine Liturgy Sunday (Christmas morning) at 9. Followed by a quick feast together. :0)

Every Orthodox Christian parish will have services Sunday/Christmas morning.

This is our schedule too, minus the baptisms and the feast--we are to go home and celebrate with our families.:D

I don't think I like it.

You???

Dawn

We will have Christmas Eve and Christmas day services.. But then we always have a service on Christmas day no matter when it falls. I didn't grow up with that tradition but I rather like it that way since the whole reason we're celebrating anything at all is because of what God has done for us. But I digress...... ;)

LDS - Yes but it is only a 1 hour service -normally it is 3 hours. They shorten it to encourage people to spend family time together on Christmas day (and probably because the Primary (kids) teachers don't want to be cooped up for 2 hours with kids who got up at 4am and had candy for breakfast) :)

Edited by sewingmama

I don't think I like it.

You???

Dawn

The Orthodox Church has a ramped up service schedule this whole week and has Divine Liturgy on Sunday. I'm still learning, but I think there would be a Divine Liturgy any day of the week that Christmas would land on. The Church will be all decorated for the special feast. It will be my first experience of the feast of the Nativity this next Sunday. :D

Long prayer service Friday morning.

Divine Liturgy Saturday morning.

Two people being baptized Saturday afternoon.

Festal Vigil (2 hours, non-Eucharistic) Saturday evening.

Divine Liturgy Sunday (Christmas morning) at 9. Followed by a quick feast together. :0)

Every Orthodox Christian parish will have services Sunday/Christmas morning.

Same schedule here, minus the baptisms as Caitlin said (but with a parish Christmas dinner at our house). Usually in our parish (and this is probably true for a lot of Orthodox parishes), the Christmas Day Divine Liturgy is held at about midnight beginning on Christmas Eve, ending well into actual Christmas day. Since it's on a Sunday this year, though, that has been changed so that the service is at the usual time for a Sunday.

We've almost got our kids talked into opening gifts on the 26th instead of on the 25th. We wouldn't do it before Liturgy on the 25th, and when we get home after the small feast at church it will be almost noon. Then we have guests coming at 4:00, so I'll be cooking from getting home until about 4:00. It seems like it'd be funner, more relaxed, to wait until the next day.

Christmas and New Year's services are cancelled. Our Christmas service is today (Dec. 18). Pastor told us to be with our families and friends on Christmas and NY. We're a small church, and we like it that way.

Similar. Small church. Most every one travels a minimum of thirty minutes - some, like us, travel longer. There are also additional weather concerns. Main reason, however, is that pastor and family will be traveling to be with family, whom they haven't seen in awhile and there are serious medical concerns. Not sure how I feel about no church . . . I can see the practicality of canceling . . . Yet, it's Sunday . . . I think perhaps it just comes down to the reality of a small church in a small, winter-weather-prone area . . .

We will also have only one service on New Year's Day (rather than the four regular services).

It does seem odd to me that in order to celebrate a Holy Day the church reduces its services. It seems even more odd that this is also done for New Year's Day.

This does seem odd for a Holy Day of Obligation, to only have one mass. We'll have one less mass (the Sunday evening LifeTeen mass) on Christmas and New Year's(Solemnity of Mary), and lots of extra masses on Christmas Eve, but otherwise, pretty much the same schedule as usual.