Menu

What is your 7-8 year old boy getting for Christmas?

a Nintendo DS, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga for the DS, clothes, and a couple of Star Wars toys. I think. I actually wrapped the gifts over a month ago so now I'm realizing I can't remember what is in them... o.O

I used to do that, too. :blush:

Now I'm totally anal retentive about the whole thing. As I'm wrapping, I write down the name of each item in a notebook, and I number each item on my list. Then, when I'm done wrapping it, I write the number on the bottom of the package so I'll be able to remember what's in it by looking it up in my notebook.

As if that wasn't pathetic enough, I keep my list near me when I'm piling the presents under the Christmas tree, to be sure some of the best gifts get stuck way in the back, so ds will have some of his favorite stuff to open last. (Who wants the last present they open to be really lame, right?)

My dh thinks I am insane. He's probably right, but I don't think I want to admit it. I like to think I'm excessively organized.

I should also mention that this is the only thing I am able to successfully organize. My dh says it's because I'm a Christmas Fiend and it matters a lot to me, while most things aren't that important to me so I'm totally disorganized about them. (Right again, but I'm still not admitting it! :D)

I used to do that, too. :blush:

Now I'm totally anal retentive about the whole thing. As I'm wrapping, I write down the name of each item in a notebook, and I number each item on my list. Then, when I'm done wrapping it, I write the number on the bottom of the package so I'll be able to remember what's in it by looking it up in my notebook.

As if that wasn't pathetic enough, I keep my list near me when I'm piling the presents under the Christmas tree, to be sure some of the best gifts get stuck way in the back, so ds will have some of his favorite stuff to open last. (Who wants the last present they open to be really lame, right?)

My dh thinks I am insane. He's probably right, but I don't think I want to admit it. I like to think I'm excessively organized.

I should also mention that this is the only thing I am able to successfully organize. My dh says it's because I'm a Christmas Fiend and it matters a lot to me, while most things aren't that important to me so I'm totally disorganized about them. (Right again, but I'm still not admitting it! :D)

So if you are insane, and I think that idea is awesome...what does that make me? :D

My DS8 is getting...

from DH and me - a Zometool set

from my parents - Star Wars Legos

from DH's mom - colored Citiblocs to add to his plain ones and more Zoobs (joint gift with DS5)

from Santa - baseball pitching machine, backstop net, base set, and new baseball glove (joint gift to him and DH, who is also getting a new glove)

Percy Jackson box set

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings box set (also joint gift with DH, from my parents)

Stocking - his own guitar tuner; headlamp, whistle, survival/fishing books, and marshmallow forks :D for camping; Zeus on the Loose; Essential Spiderman 1; Lego MiniFigs; Hacky Sack

His birthday is shortly after Christmas and he will be getting the Lego Simple Machines set and more Snap Circuits stuff from us.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My 8yr old ds is getting:

Nintendo 3ds+games

Wii games

dvds

chocolate:D

Clumsy Smurf:confused:

pencils/crayons etc

books

activity books

and some other stuff I haven't got yet, maybe a science experiment kit, craft kit and a game, novelty toothbrush etc.

From grandparents he is getting a marble run and something from Build a Bear, yet to be decided.

Yes, we are last minute shoppers.:auto:

For my 8 year old, there's the Legos (mostly Ninjago), a shirt w/coordinating flannel hoodie thing, unicycle (he's been asking for one for a while) and elbow & knee pads, and a few other small things.

Good luck with the unicycle.:D My dh has one (midlife crisis:lol:). It's actually really difficult to fall off badly as it goes from under the body and you land on your feet. So dh says.....

Remote submarine

Hexbugs & Hexbugs Hive

LEGOS

Sand, Stone & Clay Sculpting Kit

Nerf Target & ammo

Science Kits

Model Magic Clay

New Shaun White Snowboarding Wii Game

Outdoor Adventure Wii Game

Aircraft Carrier & planes

Pop the Pig

Sorry Sliders

Snow Boots

Tickets to Fresh Beat Band concert

Air Hogs Hawk Eye Blue Sky (from my sister)

Spy Gear stuff (from my parents)

Magic Tricks to add to his magic bag (from DH's parents)

My son just turned 8 last week and it was a big Star Wars/Lego birthday. For Christmas, he's getting a remote control gyroscopic helicopter, a Roman short sword (both from Vision Forum), a clone trooper costume, a book and a DVD. He'll probably get more Nerf bullets as a stocking stuffer.

This is my idea list for my 8 1/2 year old (not that he's actually getting all of this):

Harry Potter book 1

HP wand

HP scarf?

HP lego video game

original battleship game

tools

- Heavy fleece or sweatshirt style coat

how to play chess game

Hex bug

Ultra Stomp Rocket

Perplexus maze ball

Magic Science for Wizards

Lego Hogwarts Game

Legos, of course. (Isn't that pretty much universal for 7/8 year old boys?)

A couple of Geo-Puzzles

Alphabet stamp set

Magic School Bus science kit about germs

Upgrade kit for his Snap Circuits

Jigsaw puzzle (Van Gogh's Starry Night)

A new quiver and a dozen arrows (he got a nice bow/arrow set for his birthday in October)

Scrambled States game

What we bought for DS6, but these should work for an eight-year-old:

SE Mini Pocket Microscope 60x - 100x

SE 30X Illuminated Jewelers Loupe

Forbidden Island board game

Rubik's Cube 3X3

The Everything Kids' Giant Book of Jokes, Riddles, and Brain Teasers

Martin Gardner's Science Magic: Tricks and Puzzles

The Giant Book of Strange But True Sports Stories

WWII in HD (Blu Ray)

The Edge (Blu Ray)

2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu Ray)

Megabloks Halo UNSC Falcon with Landing Pad

Sled

Some board and card game ideas (first multi-player, then single-player):

Apples to Apples / Apples to Apples Jr., Artifact, Axis and Allies, Bananagrams, Bandu / Bausack, Blokus / Blokus Duo / Blokus Trigon, Carcassonne, Chess (or No Stress Chess), Clue, Equate, Fluxx, Go, Gobblet, Khet, Labyrinth (Ravensburger), Mastermind / Advanced Mastermind, Minotaurus, Monopoly, Othello, Pandemic, Pentago, Quarto, Quiddler, Quixo, Quoridor, Qwirkle, Risk, Rummikub, Scotland Yard, Scrabble, Sequence, Set, Settlers of Catan, Shogi, Skeletons in the Closet, Spaceopoly, Stratego, Ticket to Ride, Upwords, The Way Things Work, Wordigo, Yahtzee, Zeus on the Loose, Zombies!!!

Air Traffic Control Tower, Amaze, Anti-Virus, Architector / Equilibrio / Tangramino / Cliko (easiest to hardest), Block by Block, Brick by Brick, Chocolate Fix, Cosmic Catch, Crazy Campers, Fire Escape, HooDoo Loop, Maze Ways Cat and Mouse, Meta-Forms Logic Builder, Cover Your Tracks, Hedgehog Escape, Hoppers, Hot Spot, Kanoodle, Perplexus, Police Blockade, River Crossing, Rush Hour, Shape by Shape, Sink or Swim, Six, Solitaire Chess, TipOver, Zoologic

Good luck with the unicycle.:D My dh has one (midlife crisis:lol:). It's actually really difficult to fall off badly as it goes from under the body and you land on your feet. So dh says.....

Did he say it before or after you drove him to the hospital with the concussion? ;):D

(Actually, he's right -- if the unicycle is the right height for you, you don't usually end up on your head unless you manage to trip over it as you fall.)

7.5, almost 8 yo DS1 is getting:

Nerf stampede

Nerf tactical vest

Mad Scientists' Club books

Harry Potter (I've stalled him for a good while because he wasn't ready for scary until more recently)

tee shirts (needs some new ones)

He's sharing a joint gift with DD, which is an xbox/kinect with a few games.

eta: small Lego Starwars set (might or might not fit in his stocking). Think Fun game (I forget which LOL), nerf whistling darts for a different nerf gun, B&N gc for stocking (he has a Nook already, so he can use to buy things for reading on his Nook)

Edited by Momof3littles

Board games, hot wheels track (I don't even remember buying it), a garbage truck, some sewing stuff, and he finally made a request for Christmas *sigh*. So we will round it off with either hexbugs or laser tag cars (even though the reviews are 50/50, definetely keeping the receipt for it if that's what we get). Oh and what was that cool microscope that was cheap....I bought him one of those...Zorb maybe? We will have two family gifts, a video game for the Wii and a K'nex set from Grandma (big news in our world).

His birthday is two months after Christmas and Easter is two months after that so we have to spread out the gifts. Eventually he will get my full list and then the planning starts all over again. :tongue_smilie:

Duct tape

A t-shirt that says Rift on it. (A computer game he watches his Daddy play)

A shared gift with his brother of three books in the "Cricket in Times Square" series. - Not available at the library

Extended family will also be buying him lego, and his FIL always gives all his grandkids slippers.

Edited by Julie Smith

DS8 and DS9 (they get basically the same things but in different colors)

- L.L. Bean toiletry kit for camping/travel

- L.L. Bean Water Canteen

- Backpack

- LEGO book

- hankerchiefs

- mocassin kit

- a hexbug nano

- hopefully an ornament made by me

They're planning some LEGO purchases with Gift cards they have received so they know they aren't getting many toys, mostly just practical items, and they they are fine with that.

8.5 yo son.

From us:

Want: iPod touch (recycled from my husband:001_smile:)

Need: Bike helmet

Wear: T-shirt from threadless and homemade scarf

Read: A Wrinkle in Time Quintet boxed set (he has read book 1 from the library but not the others)

From Santa:

Hex bug set

Scooter

We spent about $140 on all of the above.

My family likes to call and tell me what they are giving each other's kids so I know what else he is getting to incase this list is helpful.

From my brother:

Legos

Hardy Boy Books

Clothes

Art supplies

From my dad:

Fly tying supply replenish

Renewing flytying mag subscription

Bird field guide

From my MIL:

Guitar

Legos

Books

Edited by kijipt

My 7 & 8 year old boys are getting a wooden swing set (hired a handyman to help Dh put it together 2 days before Christmas, and we're blocking the windows to the back of the house to keep it a surprise). They will also get:

Light Strike laser guns - YAY! No more Nerf pellets to clean up!

Happy Nappers - they both had this on their list to Santa

Doctor Doom/Dread (?) Edible, gross, laboratory thing

R/C Air Hoggs

About 10 empty boxes with clues leading to their swing set

And for DH and the boys - Skylanders for PS3

I made the decision that this year we won't be buying anymore Legos. We are on Lego overload here. So I think the grandparents are buying them Legos.

ETA:

A Harry Potter Cookbook

A Human Body book

2 x Calvin and Hobbs books

Edited by Hockey Mom

Lots of homemade things - sketchbook holder, peg dolls painted to look like all their favorite characters (I painted Avatar and Phineas and Ferb peg dolls), catapults, clothes... Also piles of books and cookbooks for my little cookbook addict.

And dh's old iPhone which is now a touch, loaded up with games.

Grandparents are getting them Crazy Bones, Wii and DS games, and a Snap Circuits extension set to turn their little set into the deluxe one.

Ds8 is getting:

Playmobile Castle and some miscellaneous Playmobile

Box set of Horrible Histories

a London Through Time book

two nerf guns (from siblings)

a geography puzzle

Your Story Hour CD's

An oragami book

Juggling balls

In his stocking:

a hex bug

a new deck for his Rush Hour game

a top

a dot-to-dot book

a balsa wood glider

Family gifts:

Ticket to Ride

Tara

Made for Trade

Forbidden Island

Postcards from America

another Geography Game

From others:

Playmobile from an aunt to go with his castle

a puzzle from an aunt

Chaos Tower from my parents (a gift to our whole family)

probably a $15 gift card from my IL's as they often do that

To me it looks like a lot. Not so many toys but a Really Big Toy and other stuff he will like. The problem is he really wants a DS and something called a Hot Wheels RC which I've never even seen before. I don't want to get him a DS, and he started asking for the Hot Wheels thing after I bought the Playmobile.