What causes Autism?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What causes Autism?

• Vaccines
    • Older Mothers Having Children
    • Exposure to something during pregnancy
    • Autism doesn't exist
    • Other

No idea what causes it - but I think it's on the rise more due to misdiagnosis than the it actually being on the rise.

With a spectrum disorder there are some obvious cases, and there are others that are a bit more fuzzy. Could be someone is mildly autistic, or could be they are just quirky, or could be they need a different style of parenting, or many other possibilities. The default lately seems to be a diagnosis of autism.

There always seems to be some (for lack of better word) "popular" disorder that some parents will go to any length to get their child diagnosed with. I feel for those who truly deal with autism. It makes life very difficult.

:iagree:My son is diagnosed with Aspergers. He was diagnosed before it became popular. He was considered mild then but is now considered moderate. He hasn't changed but those being diagnosed have. Many do not fit all of the attributes required for diagnosis yet somehow receive the diagnosis. I can't tell you how many people have told me their pediatricians diagnosed it. Pediatricians don't have the training to diagnose any form of autism. They do have the training to know when further evaluation by a neurologist or dev. ped. is warranted. It is a medical condition so don't even get me going on school psychs using a check list and saying it's autism. They should only be screening for possibilities and recommending evaluation by MEDICAL professionals!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This comment made my jaw drop! Do you really think anyone wants their child to have Autism???

I have a child with ASD and it's not something I take lightly. It has been and continues to be a very challenging journey for our family in more ways then non ASD parents can imagine.

I don't take my child's condition lightly either. BUT I have seen parents seek diagnosis for kids who don't have anywhere near all the attributes in hopes of getting their kids extra help at school. Where we used to live, it was a real problem.

Sorry for the inconsiderate post. I absolutely don't think any parents WANT their kids to HAVE autism. I just happen to know a few who want them to have the LABEL of autism.

:grouphug: No worries. I get what you're saying.

The issue is a lot more complex than parents who want the popular label. I'm sure there are a rare few who really aren't making balanced choices, but not enough to have a significant impact on the numbers. Most often, in my experience, parents pursuing a label aren't doing it because it's been on the news, they're doing it because they have been denied services, which tend to be driven by the child's label, and they are desperate to get help for their child. Or the child is older and it is becoming obvious that his or her differences go beyond quirkiness, and they're looking for an explanation. Mild autism or Asperger's may not be evident to people who don't spend significant time with the child (I was the only one who saw my dd's worst rages, for example, and I wasn't exactly broadcasting them to others) so it can look like they're seeking an unnecessary label.

:) I hope you understand too, that I don't think you're a big ol' jerk. My intent is to advocate, not chastise. :grouphug: Sorry if I sounded crabby.

Cat

Other because I have no idea. As the mother of a child with Aspergers, I really, really wish I knew. It's very easy to blame myself although logically I don't believe it's anything I did. I didn't do anything differently with that pregnancy than I did with my other 2 and they are not on the spectrum.

ETA: Oh, but I have heard the argument that autism doesn't exist. It really ticks me off. :(

:grouphug: No worries. I get what you're saying.

The issue is a lot more complex than parents who want the popular label. I'm sure there are a rare few who really aren't making balanced choices, but not enough to have a significant impact on the numbers. Most often, in my experience, parents pursuing a label aren't doing it because it's been on the news, they're doing it because they have been denied services, which tend to be driven by the child's label, and they are desperate to get help for their child. Or the child is older and it is becoming obvious that his or her differences go beyond quirkiness, and they're looking for an explanation. Mild autism or Asperger's may not be evident to people who don't spend significant time with the child (I was the only one who saw my dd's worst rages, for example, and I wasn't exactly broadcasting them to others) so it can look like they're seeking an unnecessary label.

:) I hope you understand too, that I don't think you're a big ol' jerk. My intent is to advocate, not chastise. :grouphug: Sorry if I sounded crabby.

Cat

We are at the crossroads of this right now...so far we have an ADHD label for dd...but our current developmental physcologist has referred us to a neuro for more testing because dd has many characteristics of spectrum but "she wants to be social". But if she had an ASD diagnosis we would receive medicare which would pay the 800 dollars that we are currently paying out of pocket for therapy for dd. If she had the diagnosis of ASD our insurance would cover somewhere around 30,000 in behavioral therapy a year. If she had the diagnosis she would qualify for a social group, right now she doesn't have the "right" label. I don't want her to get the diagnosis of ASD, and don't know if the neuro we are seeing will think she is ASD, but without it we are left treading water and dd can't get the help she needs all because of a silly label. Sometimes I wish this stuff was based on the severity of symptoms and not on the label but that is not the way the special needs world works.

My theory... definitely genetic and perhaps more widespread these days due to the introduction of Rhogam. If people who are Rh- (or who have +/- alleles) are more likely to carry genes for autism/ autistic traits, Rhogam has allowed them to contribute to the gene pool at a rate unprecedented in human history.

How so? I was an RH factor baby but I do not know my blood type. All I know is that I was extremely jaundiced and if a doctor who just happened to be passing through didn't see me, I might have died. I had a blood transfusion. My mom was so freaked out, obviously, that she refused to have anymore children. I have no idea what they knew or didn't know about RH factor in the late 60s.

I seriously do not see anything in either my family or DH's family that looks like autism. My DH's family is extremely smart and my DH was dorky in school but he didn't have any of the types of problems that our Aspie son has. We've talked about this before, and he can't think of anyone in his family who might have fit this either. It's quite puzzling.

How so? I was an RH factor baby but I do not know my blood type. All I know is that I was extremely jaundiced and if a doctor who just happened to be passing through didn't see me, I might have died. I had a blood transfusion. My mom was so freaked out, obviously, that she refused to have anymore children. I have no idea what they knew or didn't know about RH factor in the late 60s.

I seriously do not see anything in either my family or DH's family that looks like autism. My DH's family is extremely smart and my DH was dorky in school but he didn't have any of the types of problems that our Aspie son has. We've talked about this before, and he can't think of anyone in his family who might have fit this either. It's quite puzzling.

They did in the early 70s. My mother got rhogam after I was born in 71.

I do think there is a strong, but probably not singular, environmental component at play in expressing whatever genetic tendency there may be (which may also not be singular). It would explain a lot of rising phenomena: ASD/other neuro disorders, autoimmune disorders, fibromyalgia, etc. Things that were unheard of - not just because of lack of label - in our grand parents' or great-grand parents' - generations.

My kids are all NT and healthy overall and, honestly, I sometimes wonder why. What sets them apart? I doubt it's something we control, simply because we can't control everything in our environment, and I know plenty of people more conscientious than I who have one or more kids with one or more of these issues.

I do think there is a strong, but probably not singular, environmental component at play in expressing whatever genetic tendency there may be (which may also not be singular). It would explain a lot of rising phenomena: ASD/other neuro disorders, autoimmune disorders, fibromyalgia, etc. Things that were unheard of - not just because of lack of label - in our grand parents' or great-grand parents' - generations.

I agree.

Cat

I think that there is probably a genetic component - all the children I know who have autism or Aspergers have somewhat.... geeky (I like geeks) parents. I also think that the rise in incidence may be down to a difference in reporting. As an example, the rise of asthma in the UK is largely explained by the change of diagnosis from 'non-specific bronchitis' to asthma. Similarly, it seems possible that autism was described in all kinds of ways in previous eras.

Laura

:iagree:

Since I "picked someone" to reproduce with rather than to have a Love Story with, I practiced "out-breeding" to a definite non-geek. My friends reproduced in their 20s and 30. I was doing it in my 40s and had seen just too many kids with spectrum diagnoses.

This may be shocking or wrong to some, but I think it uber-geekiness to observe one's peer's families and choose check the health and genetic pedigree of a man before contemplating fertility.

I believe it's genetic and has always been around. I also believe that today's technology (computers, etc.) has given people with high functioning autism a way to participate in society and lead fulfilling lives. This, in turn, leads to marriage and children who will again hive a higher disposition to being autistic.

I think it is genetic so I choose other. I read a study recently where autistic children had twice the number of neurons in the frontal cortex than other, non autistic children. I also know that with DNA, there is one chromosome which additions or deletions are much more common in ADHD, autistic, and schizophrenic people. I am not surprised by that since I definitely see ADHD and autism being somewhat related.

Autism research has shown a high heritablity rate. They have linked it to specific genes and twin studies have shown a high concordance rate.

Check out Sciencedaily and BPS online for information if you are interested. Also a fun website called, "Genes to Cognition". I teach an IB Psych class and we just researched this topic.

Just to throw it out there, my ex, my dh, and I all have our own little neuro glitches and come from families riddled with them. As do at least 3 of my 5 kids (so far). Each one of us is completely unique, but there's no doubt in my mind that each dx is connected at a genetic level.

My 9yo is the weird one for seeming to be completely NT!

In theory, if people with Rh- blood are more likely to carry genes for autistic traits, Rhogam has allowed them to contribute to the genepool in a way they could not have beforehand due to the risk of hemolytic disease (look at your own mother, who chose not to reproduce further).

I've heard the theory tossed around that autistics and schizophrenics have higher rates of Rh- but really don't know definitively if it's true.

High tech jobs allowing "geeky" people to have livelihoods, and thus families, are likely another reason for the rise in autism, as well as higher diagnoses when previously some other disorder label would have been applied.

if people with Rh- blood are more likely to carry genes for autistic traits

I've heard the theory tossed around that autistics and schizophrenics have higher rates of Rh- but really don't know definitively if it's true.

I'm specifically interested in this.

Where did you hear this?

Is it just someone's pie in the sky? Have there been studies done?

I've NEVER heard this before, but I'm very interested to hear more about the theory. Where did it come from?

Just to throw it out there, my ex, my dh, and I all have our own little neuro glitches and come from families riddled with them. As do at least 3 of my 5 kids (so far). Each one of us is completely unique, but there's no doubt in my mind that each dx is connected at a genetic level.

There's one in every family. Hang in there. :D

Genetic, primarily.

Temple Grandin has stated that children today that are high functioning autistic would have been considered just quirky in the first part of the century. A child growing up in the 40s would have had a much more rigid set of societal rules both at home and in the world that would have helped them. She says if she'd been born now rather than in the later 40s, she would have had much more trouble adjusting to society.

I think there is probably a good bit of truth to what she says.

Sorry for the inconsiderate post. I absolutely don't think any parents WANT their kids to HAVE autism. I just happen to know a few who want them to have the LABEL of autism. Just like they wanted them to have several other labels that pop up in the news over the past years. And I know people who go from doctor to doctor being told their kids are fine, until they find one doctor who will give a diagnosis - or worse, not check the records and just believe the parent who says they have the problem, without ever getting a diagnosis.(Yes - this has happened. Not all doctors are as careful as they ought to be.)

Yeah - I know some strange people. And DH knows many many more. This is not typical, but it does happen. I'd never heard of Munchhausen by proxy before - but that describes those I was talking about to a tee.

I did NOT mean anyone who actually has autistic children who are anywhere on the spectrum. Even if they don't "look" like they have a problem, it can be a real struggle and I in no way meant to belittle that.

Again - SORRY! I should think more before I post. (crawling into a hole now for the rest of the thread.)

I have a relative that does this. she has 5 boys under 10, she has taken them to many doctors etc and has accumulated a huge list of disorders for each of them.

The family have long suspected that she has something like Munchhausen and Munchhausen by proxy. The problem is she is so convincing.

Since I "picked someone" to reproduce with rather than to have a Love Story with, I practiced "out-breeding" to a definite non-geek. My friends reproduced in their 20s and 30. I was doing it in my 40s and had seen just too many kids with spectrum diagnoses.

This may be shocking or wrong to some, but I think it uber-geekiness to observe one's peer's families and choose check the health and genetic pedigree of a man before contemplating fertility.

:lol::lol::lol:

you sound so like my DH. just about the time he proposed to me he told me he wanted to marry me because I come from good breading stock and he was ready to have a family.

I voted other as there is no one cause just as there are many "flavors" of autism on the spectrum. SillyAutismMan has more of a seizure-based autism; his cousin is more classic Kanners autism. Very different young men with very different symptoms, etc. within the same family.

The extended family has participated in AGRE genetic research studies, including blood draws and researchers traveling out from California to test and evaluate ALL the kids (autistic and NT siblings). I think genetics may make some folks more apt to have a bad reaction to an environmental or vaccine or ??? event than other folks. Our pediatric neurologist has been studying these kids for decades, and has found a subset (a large one) of kids with probable autoimmune stuff going on in the brain. But what causes that? Possibly a genetic tendency t a bad reaction from a vaccine? Unknown - but he did recommend no further DT or MMR shots until the kids were much older.

At least no one believes autism is caused by bad parenting anymore! A pox upon you, Bettleheim!

Genetic predisposition:

Israeli and NY researchers find evidence autism genetic

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH

10/09/2011 02:39

For the first time, scientists provide functional evidence that inheriting fewer copies of genes on chromosome #16 leads to autism-like features.

The neuro-cognitive, developmental disease of autism, whose symptoms appear during the first three years of a child’s life, have for years been thought to involve a number of genes, but there was no concrete proof.

Now a team at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) in New York, led by an Israeli doing postdoctoral fellowship work on mice, has for the first time provided functional evidence that inheriting fewer copies of genes on chromosome #16 leads to autism-like features.

My husband and 2 of my sons are "Asptastic." We can trace this back a few generations. I have also read that this genetic anomaly is linked to ADHD symptoms/characteristics--It sure is in my family!

My dd has the specific deletion referenced in this article- 16p11.2 deletion syndrome. They were telling us a year and a half ago that she had a one in three chance of being autistic. She turned out to be NT, but it was a stressful period of time, waiting and watching for the signs, knowing the odds.

I voted other. I have no idea what causes it. I just know that my oldest son has it. It was nothing I did, or vaccines given.

Totally agree. If I could go back in time, I don't know what I would change to avoid it. I just have no idea. And this is not from lack of research.

I posted this previously, but I just wanted to bring it onto this thread.

At least one of the parents needs to be a graduate (of any university) to meet the criteria for the study. They are looking for parents of both autistic and NT children.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Like many others I think genetic predisposition and then some trigger. I think this trigger could be so subtle as to be very hard to identify.

A close friend has a son with autism and she has said he was always different but they had a traumatic time around his birth. I know many autisic kids and they all do seem so different.

I was researching mitochondrial disease recently and came across an article that basically said they may be able to link mito with some forms of autism. It sounded like they were very early on understanding the links though.

I just want to point out that not everyone who declines vaccinations does so because of a fear of autism. Some opted out before that controversy got press and continue to opt out for other reasons. People have more reasons than the media seems to want to acknowledge. (You can google if you want more details.)

It's similar to hsers who opt out of institutional schools and hs instead even though they have access to good ps and/or can afford private school. Right now it seems like hsers who had a bad ps experience and who fear ps get all the press.

Controversy, rather than discussing different ideas in depth, seems to be what sells in the media.

I think it is a genetic suseptability that is triggered by an enviromental factor - these triggers are different for different people.

I don't think vaccines cause autism but they definately could trigger it in people who are genetically susceptable.

No, they can not. This is a proven false-hood whose pertepuation threatens the public health.

There is no link what-so-ever between vaccines and autism.

Bill

there are a variety of causes of autism.

One is a group cluster deletion on Chromosome 16. (those children WILL be classically autistic, not "just' a predisposition.) there is also a relationship to fragile X. making boys far more likely to experience symptoms - but the data is still early to know if it's another genetic causation or just a coincidence.

I was watching a video presentation by a Yale resercher who runs their Autism clinic. she has stated even those children whose parents didn't notice anything until they are 18 - 20 months old (or older), when doing a much more thorough intake questionaire, had behavioral indicators/abnormalities at much younger ages that were overlooked as they seemed insignificant. My own son had indicators from the neonatal period that something was 'off'.

Another researcher has successfully treated ASD kids for high histamine levels - which ties into the diet sensitivity theory. Food sensitivities can be tested for with stool tests, and many ASD kids do have sensitivities towards one or more of gluten, casein, yeast, and soy. removing them from the diet often shows marked improvement. (which could also account for the increase in cases. there is so much modification in foods. rice milk has gluten added to it.)

cranial-sacral therapy has also proven helpful. My son was forceps, and had four cervical vertebra significantly misaligned. after several adjustments when he was four, we noticed a positive difference.

Edited by gardenmom5

It's recently been identified that there is are facial similarities in kids with ASD (like there are obvious physical features in kids with FAS and Downs, but less pronounced). I found that interesting, as it shows that autism isn't caused by something later in life.

I voted other.

:iagree:My son is diagnosed with Aspergers. He was diagnosed before it became popular. He was considered mild then but is now considered moderate. He hasn't changed but those being diagnosed have. Many do not fit all of the attributes required for diagnosis yet somehow receive the diagnosis. I can't tell you how many people have told me their pediatricians diagnosed it. Pediatricians don't have the training to diagnose any form of autism. They do have the training to know when further evaluation by a neurologist or dev. ped. is warranted. It is a medical condition so don't even get me going on school psychs using a check list and saying it's autism. They should only be screening for possibilities and recommending evaluation by MEDICAL professionals!

:iagree: though I wish my ped had referred me to a dev ped instead of an OT - what a waste of time that was. I had to push for him to refer me to the dev ped. It was an entire team at the medical school human development clinic who diagnosed my son.

All I know is that I was extremely jaundiced and if a doctor who just happened to be passing through didn't see me, I might have died. I had a blood transfusion. .

I have heard from medical professionals there does seem to be a link between some forms of ASD and high bili. My son's was also very high and climbing fast, but started treatment soon enough it dropped sufficiently to avoid the blood transfusion. words cannot express my frustration with people who take high bili lightly, and can't comprehend he was in the hospital for six days because of it. I do know, before we had the HFASD diagnosis, he was turned down for a control group of an ASD study because his bili had been high.

later, doing family history, I found two babies (cousins) who died in the 'teens due to "jaundice" at four and five days.

Guest submarines
No, they can not. This is a proven false-hood whose pertepuation threatens the public health.

There is no link what-so-ever between vaccines and autism.

Bill

Who, again, funded the studies?

An autism diagnosis is no longer reserved for severely affected children. Diagnostic criteria have changed to include milder forms of autism, and of course that affects the numbers. But in order to get a true autism diagnosis, a child must still meet specific diagnostic criteria. I've been through the diagnostic process many times, both as a parent and as a professional, and it is a rigorous one. That's how we decide which children "truly" have autism (and which do not).

Believe me, folks aren't lining up to get into this club. I really take exception to the bolded, and not just on my own behalf. Autism is on the rise, even taking the new diagnostic criteria into account, and parents are agonizing over their children and their lives. To see that dismissed so lightly or framed as a choice is painful.

It may be that you're seeing children like mine who have the label but don't "look autistic" to those with casual exposure. I don't know how many times I've heard that, and had my daughter's condition blamed on my parenting, the school, quirkiness, or simply on her. But she meets the diagnostic criteria even if she doesn't look like it, as do many others with mild to moderate autism.

Cat

:iagree: I agree with this completely and is why my ds13 has been Dx twice with PDD-NOS and twice had the Dx recinded, because some Shrinks have felt he met the criteria and some have felt he did not. Personally I do think he is on the spectrum, but it is not a Dx one *wants* for their child, and it is not easily handed out by the specialists in this field (at least from my experience). I was heartbroken when he was Dx on the spectrum and very happy when it was recinded. I still don't know exactly what is going on with my son, and despite feeling he is on the spectrum, I am more than happy to not have him be. I have never seen a live up of parents wanting to get their kids Dx with autism. I have seen many parents think their kids have ADHD when in reality they are just kids with energy, but I have never seen families go through all the testing and screening for autism just *because*.

I think it is genetic so I choose other. I read a study recently where autistic children had twice the number of neurons in the frontal cortex than other, non autistic children. I also know that with DNA, there is one chromosome which additions or deletions are much more common in ADHD, autistic, and schizophrenic people. I am not surprised by that since I definitely see ADHD and autism being somewhat related.

Glad to see I am not the only one that sees a correlation between the two. Have you ever read the book the ADHD-Autism Connection? Very good book that outlines how the two are very similar and how one day we may be looking at adhd actually fitting on the spectrum. ADHD itself is very much a specturm disorder and many of its traits are the same as those seen in Autism. I do think there is more of a connection there than many think.

:lol: Sounds like my 4 yr old. I am sure in any other family she would been seen as bright but average. In my family she is like the most brilliant kid ever, and a bit weird because she is totally NT and the rest have so many issues lol

One is a group cluster deletion on Chromosome 16. (those children WILL be classically autistic, not "just' a predisposition.) there is also a relationship to fragile X. making boys far more likely to experience symptoms - but the data is still early to know if it's another genetic causation or just a coincidence.

I was watching a video presentation by a Yale resercher who runs their Autism clinic. she has stated even those children whose parents didn't notice anything until they are 18 - 20 months old (or older), when doing a much more thorough intake questionaire, had behavioral indicators/abnormalities at much younger ages that were overlooked as they seemed insignificant. My own son had indicators from the neonatal period that something was 'off'.

Another researcher has successfully treated ASD kids for high histamine levels - which ties into the diet sensitivity theory. Food sensitivities can be tested for with stool tests, and many ASD kids do have sensitivities towards one or more of gluten, casein, yeast, and soy. removing them from the diet often shows marked improvement. (which could also account for the increase in cases. there is so much modification in foods. rice milk has gluten added to it.)

cranial-sacral therapy has also proven helpful. My son was forceps, and had four cervical vertebra significantly misaligned. after several adjustments when he was four, we noticed a positive difference.

I am curious about what you saw. My son is not on the specturm as far as the Dr's etc are concerned. He has a list of other issues BUT I knew something was off with him since infancy. At 3 months we started getting his hearing checked, 6 months we were asking about autism, because we knew something just wasn't right. It was not a munchausen or manchausen by proxy situation, we just knew something was 'off'. I have often wondered if I was crazy even seeing these things in him so young, or if I over reacted kwim, because I have not heard of parents noticing something off so young before when it comes to this stuff.

As to causes I don't know. I believe 100% that there is something genetic there, and outside environmental factors can trigger increased or decreased severity but to actually pin point causes I can't do that.

I am curious of the 2 votes that autism doesn't exist. I wish there was a way for those 2 people to respond anonymously so I can see their thinking on that without actually calling them out on it kwim.

As to causes I don't know. I believe 100% that there is something genetic there, and outside environmental factors can trigger increased or decreased severity but to actually pin point causes I can't do that.

I am curious of the 2 votes that autism doesn't exist. I wish there was a way for those 2 people to respond anonymously so I can see their thinking on that without actually calling them out on it kwim.

I don't believe that autism doesn't exist, but if you go down to the part labeled "Social Construct" in this wikipedia article, it explains why some say that it doesn't exist.

Autism is defined by a series of traits that some clinicians may recognize and others may not. The same traits might not be seen as "autistic" by one clinician to the next. Females with autistic traits are under-diagnosed, or more likely to be diagnosed with other disorders . In that respect it's consensus science-- and this is why some people say autism doesn't exist, because there's no way to identify it other than by checking off a list of traits and habits. It's essentially in the eye of the beholder.

Which deletion are you referring to? My dd has the deletion on chromosome 16 people usually refer to when they talk about it "causing" autism, a missing cluster of 27 genes, but it doesn't cause autism in all kids. My dd is nt, for example. Is there a different deletion on the same chromosome that also causes autism?