Menu

Old Wives Tale or no?

Ever since I was a kid I haven't eaten dairy when I've had a fever because my mom always said it would curdle in your stomach and cause vomiting. In turn, I don't let my kids have their daily cup of chocolate milk if they are running a fever.

Well, for a while I've been thinking it's an old wives tale....it just doesn't make sense to me.

What does The Hive think?

Honestly, I woke up this morning with a fever, stuffiness, and a sore throat and I really want a bowl of ice cream to ease my throat LOL.

But, dairy does increase mucus production, so when we're sick here I avoid it completely to reduce any symptoms that involve mucus.

:iagree:We avoid dairy when we have colds because it increases mucus production. Have some sorbet instead, or a popsicle to ease your throat. It think the curdling and vomiting is an old wives' tale.

Mary

Myth. Trust me, when that dairy hits your stomach, at any temperature, it curdles immediately in the acid environment.

This.

I also read recently that even if you drink 'spoiled' milk that it won't make you sick. Well, I mean if you could get it down before gagging and throwing it up. But your stomach can handle it fine.

Not that I am going to take any chances. I am a milk snob. I only drink it for 2 days after it has been opened.

Both are old wives tales actually. Mucus is phlegm, which is produced by the respiratory system. Ingesting dairy products cannot make your respiratory system make more phlegm. It can however, make the mucus you already have feel thicker, so maybe that's where the tale comes from.

:iagree:They are both nonsense. However, many people do not feel like drinking milk when they have the stomach flu, so if that's you....go with it. Otherwise....eat and drink whatever you can tolerate. Do stay hydrated though...that's the most important thing.

And often, when a child (or grown-up) can't seem to keep anything down...licking a popsicle or sucking on a lollipop will not cause vomiting.

Guest submarines
Old wives' tale.

But ITA...dairy is a mucus-causing food. Any illness that includes congestion should mean no dairy...fever or not.

DH grew up with the grandmother who treated every illness with boiled milk and honey. When I take care of the sick kids, I avoid milk, DH's starts boiling milk at the first sign of a cold :D. We haven't noticed any major differences in how the kids' colds proceed.

My df actually did her dissertation on dairy and mucus production--which always struck me as odd because she's a music major! lol

Research shows it doesn't cause more mucus production.

And yes, stomach acid curdles milk--that's why it's practically impossible (or extremely difficult for the average person) to drink a gallon of milk at a time. The average stomach can't hold that much food.

I expect enough kids who were feverish wanted something soothing and had milk or ice cream, then barfed afterward....because of whatever was bringing on the fever, not because of the dairy. Enough that moms confused the cause of the puking and started saying, "Don't drink that if you're feverish." Either that or they needed to convince the kids not to drink milk because cleaning up curdled dairy is g-r-o-s-s.

Cat

I think the reason why people say to stay away from milk when you have a stomach bug is not because of the vomiting but because of the "other end issues".. Stomach bugs can unbalance your intestinal flora which may render some people lactose intolerant for the duration of the illness meaning drinking milk will make it take longer for "poop issues" to clear up.

Whenever my kids get a stomach bug (especially the babies) the doctor always tells me to switch to soy for a while so as not to aggravate the "poop".

I've never heard of it for a fever -if that's the only fluid your kid will drink then give it :D

My df actually did her dissertation on dairy and mucus production--which always struck me as odd because she's a music major! lol

Research shows it doesn't cause more mucus production.

I presume she chose this topic because it would be related to singing? My school's music director was obsessed with wearing scarves (in 70 degree weather:tongue_smilie:) and not drinking milk or cold water to protect his vocal chords.

I think the reason why people say to stay away from milk when you have a stomach bug is not because of the vomiting but because of the "other end issues".. Stomach bugs can unbalance your intestinal flora which may render some people lactose intolerant for the duration of the illness meaning drinking milk will make it take longer for "poop issues" to clear up.

Whenever my kids get a stomach bug (especially the babies) the doctor always tells me to switch to soy for a while so as not to aggravate the "poop".

I've never heard of it for a fever -if that's the only fluid your kid will drink then give it :D

:iagree:

I withhold dairy during a tummy bug because it's really nasty when it comes back up and because it doesn't digest well when the intestinal flora is out of whack. I always insist on a bite or two of yogurt as our first dairy after the we recover from a tummy bug. It helps to normalize the digestive tract.