Menu

What is your "Signature" Thanksgiving dish?

Most have a signature Thanksgiving dish. That is the one thing that is a "must have" on Thanksgiving, such as, "it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without my...".

What is your signature dish and if possible, include the directions (Turkey doesn't count unless something special is done to him besides the traditional)?

Mine is fried apples. They are neither fried nor complicated, but a few of my children think that I slave for days making them. There are never any left (probably due to the sugar factor). I want to make real fried apples but the children insist that I do this. One day I will probably do it from scratch until I get it similar to this.

Here's how:

2-4 cans of apple pie filling (amount depends on how many people you are serving)

cinnamon

vanilla

brown sugar

raisins

butter

I pour the cans of pie filling into a pot. Then I add a dash of cinnamon (not much due to the pie filling having cinnamon already) and brown sugar (about a quarter to one-half cup - depending on taste and the number of filling cans I use) and butter (one to two tablespoons).

Once it gets bubbly I add approximately 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (or by taste..little more or less depending on how many cans of filling) and a handful of raisins (make sure the raisins aren't too old so that they'll plump up nicely). Once the raisins are plump, it's ready.

I don't use real measurements because it is really all by taste. Add a little of this or that in whatever amount tastes good to you.

It's great on french toast or pancakes. It goes nicely with meats. Also, vanilla ice cream is wonderful on it.

Chocolate bourbon pecan pie (recipe from Bon Appetit)

French Apple Pie (recipe on a newspaper clipping from 7 years ago and packed in a cookbook in the storage unit)

Dressing (truthfully, I wing it -- no pun intended)

Cranberry Relish (cooked on the stove -- bunch of stuff added)

Mashed White Potates (different ones every year -- all recipes from Bon Appetit -- favorite is the recipe with mascarpone added)

Mashed Sweet Potatoes -- (from the Colonial Williamsburg cookbook)

I used to do scalloped oysters , but no more.

My sweet potatoes are the main request from me at Thanksgiving. I use both white and orange sweet potatoes, cut into chunks. Then, I lay them out in a 9 x 13 pan and dice up cold butter and layer that over top of the potatoes. Then, I sprinkle all of it with brown sugar. These were my Dad's favorites.

Occasionally we will have a sweet potato casserole that are have a crunchy nut topping. In my family, we have never served the ones with marshmallows. I have had them elsewhere and I cannot choke them down. No marshmallows near my sweet potatoes please.

Cheesy Broccoli and Rice

1 onion, finely chopped

4oz fresh mushrooms, (or more :)), sliced

2T butter

3C cooked white rice (about 1C uncooked)

1 16oz pkg frozen broccoli

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 large jar Cheez Whiz (and the yearly hunt for Cheez Whiz begins - one year I found it in a non-functional mini refrigerated section next to the pasta)

In a large skillet or saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until soft. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Bake in a casserole dish at 350* for 30 minutes. Serves 8-10.

--------------------------

Homemade apple pie (Joy of Cooking Apple Pie II) w/ lattice top and homemade pumpkin pie (from Libby's canned pumpkin) - topped w/leaf-shaped crust cut-outs if I can manage it. Real whipped cream.

Turkey cookies made by the kids - oreo topped w/a kiss and candy corn for feathers, red hots on the Kiss tip for the waddle. Chocolate frosting for glue.

I stuff my turkey with quartered lemons, onions, garlic cloves, and butter and roast at 500* for 1.75 - 2 hours depending on how big the turkey is. Mmmmm, gravy. I only make mashed potatoes myself if I can't get anyone else to bring them.

Since I usually make most of the meal myself, I have a 4-day Thanksgiving meal schedule, complete with shopping list, prep work, and silver polishing. :lol: Sounds a bit obsessive, doesn't it?

DH's mother's cranberry fluff recipe, except she's in a nursing home now and nobody knows what her recipe was. I found one online that DH says is just like his mother's was so I'm going to call it good. :001_smile:

I also make stuffing from scratch and in my family mashed potatoes have to be topped with marshmallows.

Edited by aggieamy

My cornbread stuffing. Peppery sausage, bacon, sage, cranberries, apples, celery, onions, mushrooms. Homemade cornbread, cubed and toasted in the oven. Bind it with turkey broth and eggs.

For my sweet potatoes, I roast them whole the day before until caramel is dripping off them. Then I mash them with cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and I rebake them with a savory crumb topping.

Do you make the sweet potato casserole with all the sugar called for in the recipe?

Yep. That's why we only eat it at Thanksgiving. But it is SUPER yummy...I've been making it for 10 years and everyone in the extended family expects me to bring it now :001_smile:.

It is sweet, but not overly so. The recipe came from a friend in New Orleans.

Edited by mandymom

My mom's signature dish has become mine as well. I'm sure the Pilgrims ate this. :D It's called orange tapioca salad and the ingredients are orange jello, tapioca jello, coolwhip, mandarins and water/mandarin juice.

The one that is mine, and not my mom's, is roasted root vegetables (parsnips, turnips, carrots, onions, rutabagas, etc.).

Edited by milovaný

I guess mine would be creamed mini onions. I got the recipe from Martha Stewart years ago. It's a "light" recipe, but tastes rich -- lots of flavoring from wine and thyme and roasted garlic. I think it has a small bit of parmesan, too. I don't have the recipe handy to share, however. Guess I better find it soon.

I have 3 signature dishes: sweet potato pudding, chocolate chip pecan pie and dressing. I am in bed on my phone though, so I cannot look up the recipes for the first two. :D I posted my stuffing recipe in the other thread.

eta: Sweet potato pudding recipe

This chocolate chip pecan pie recipe is the one I found that is most similar to my own.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Twice Baked Potato Casserole

8-10 potatoes, peeled, boiled, mashed (no milk)

1 8oz tub of sour cream

1 8oz pkg cream cheese

3-4 stalks green onions or 2 tbsp dried chives (fresh is better)

cheddar cheese

Afte the potatoes are boiled and mashed, mix the above ingredients except cheese until smooth. Put in greased casserole dish. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Top with cheese and bake until melted.

We omit the cheese for Thanksgiving so we can pour on gravy.

We've also added crumpled bacon for other occasions.

Can be made ahead and refrigerated before the baking. Just add more time.

Also does fine at 350 for a bit longer.

Rum-eggnog bread pudding with cranberries

I'll come back to post the recipe later. There are SO many tasty recipes here, my mouth is watering thinking of those creamed mini-onions! Serenade, if you can't post the recipe, I might just try winging it!

Please do!

Mine would be Oyster Dressing (stuffing).

Well, for me, it wouldn't be T Day without my mother's chestnut-sausage stuffing. And my (well Bon Appetit's) shiitake mushroom gravy.

For ds, it would be the sweet potato cake with brown sugar frosting/glaze (bon Appetit).

For, dc the turkey and lots of it.

Oh, and I have to have lots of food, and the vegetables must be ones that could have come from a local garden (or be stored) at this season, i.e. brussels sprouts, not fresh tomatoes.

Mine are cranberry-orange sauce and pumpkin custard--but my youngest two sons usually make it!

For the cranberry-orange sauce, I use the recipe for whole cranberry sauce on the package except I substitute oj for half the water. I play around with decreasing the sugar, but haven't decided whether that makes it runny or not. When it's done, I add in about an orange's worth of orange chunks.

For pumpkin custard, I make pumpkin pie filling, but skip the crust and use 2/3 of the sugar. We eat it as a vegetable that way. ;)

cranberry apple pie. Normal apple pie from scratch throw in some chopped or whole cranberries.

My mom created it when she was first married as she didn't like watching my dad put cranberry sauce on his apple pie. :D

And of course pie for breakfast the following day no utensils required.

Well, we go to my IL's for Thanksgiving, and I usually take an array of things, but I absolutely HAVE to make stuffing (only I call it dressing, I guess it's a regional thing?)

DH's family is 100% Stove Top, so they don't really like it or eat much of it. Which is 100% fine with me - that just means I get to bring it home and eat all the leftovers. :D

Well, of course we do the turkey, mashed potato, cranberry sauce, green bean deal. But, my "signature" dishes that you don't find at every house on the block:

Zucchini Casserole (which is like a zucchini stuffing)

Pumpkin pie cheesecake

Make 'em every year.

Mashed Potato Casserole with Smoked Gouda and Bacon

8-10 slices applewood-smoked bacon, divided

6 green onions, thinly sliced

5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes

salt

sour cream

3/4 whole milk or half-and-half cream

1 stick butter, cut in cubes

2 1/2 cups coarsely grated smoked Gouda, divided

1 container Philadelphia Cooking Creme (Savory Garlic flavor)

Cook bacon until golden brown. Drain and chop/crumble into bits and place in a small bowl with the sliced green onions. Toss to mix and set aside.

Peel potatoes and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Place in a large pot, cover with cold water and stir in a little salt to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook with lid slightly ajar for 15-20 minutes or until a knife slices in easily. Drain well.

Return potatoes to pot and place pot on low heat. Cook about 2 minutes, shaking pan often, until potatoes are dry and a film is starting to form on the bottom of the pot. Add cooking creme, milk, and butter and mash with a potato masher until almost smooth. Add sour cream if potatoes seem too dry. Stir in 2 cups shredded Gouda and all but 1/2 cup of the bacon and green onion mixture.

Spread potato mixture into a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with remaining Gouda. (Can be made to this point up to 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill potato casserole until ready to cook).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes until cheese melts and edges of potatoes are bubbling, about 30 minutes (longer if chilled). Remove from oven and sprinkle with reserved bacon mixture while casserole is hot.

Makes 10 servings.

Macaroni and Cheese!

It's my favorite food and what I'm best at. It's probably 1,000 calories a bite, so I only make it the "right" way during holidays. I don't use a recipe.

I was just going to post this same exact thing. It doesn't matter if we're having a small family Thanksgiving, or going to someone's house; I'm always asked to bring my mac and cheese.

I was just going to post this same exact thing. It doesn't matter if we're having a small family Thanksgiving, or going to someone's house; I'm always asked to bring my mac and cheese.

I am fixing mac and cheese for the first time for Thanksgiving. My son-in-law will be here and it is a tradition at his house, so I thought I would fix it here. Would love to have your recipe.

Well, I'm Asian.

As with the other 351 days in the year, you can always count on me to offer steamed, white rice :D

When I began celebrating holidays with my inlaws, I always brought my own rice and steamed veggies. As a vegetarian who married into a farming family (who slaugters dinner from their backyard), this was initially self-serving. It's become a tradition, though, and now all of them share in my signature "dish" LOL. Even on years I don't come, they make it for themselves!

our family LOVES my sweet potato pie. Dh makes a killer dressing. Dh makes a KILLER gravy. I love to make rich mashed potatoes (just this one time per year!) with butter and cream..... generous amounts.

Dh insists on green bean casserole :ack2: and I love creamed pearl onions.

The year I made my corn casserole and broccoli casserole, everyone LOVED them but they were too rich and filling.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes -- (from the Colonial Williamsburg cookbook)

I used to do scalloped oysters , but no more.

oooo, I do both of these. And my favorite CW cookbook recipe, chicken and dumplings is an excellent way to use leftover turkey. Yum, yum, yum!

My signature dishes are sweet potatos (see above) and my stuffings. They have no recipes but always include a dish of cornbread oyster stuffing and another with some variation of apple, dried cranberry, sausage and the like.

And my most important job - I am the eggnog spiker! I add the rum, the Jim Beam, the nutmeg. It makes me very popular with the adults.

I love to cook Thanksgiving dinner. It makes me so happy, and we have a routine that starts on Tuesday with all my little sous chefs helping with the prep work. By Thursday late morning everything is finished and it is mostly a matter of putting things in and taking things out of the oven. We play family football, games and try to really enjoy the family and friends that are with us on any given year.

Edited by Beach Mom
Don't forget the eggnog

I make a Dutch apple tart which is yummy.

Dark chocolate ruffled forte!

It is truffle filling in pie form! The recipe is in the back of the cabinet....I will have to dig it put.

Please do post the recipe when you find it; it sounds delicious.

Regards,

Kareni

We have a set menu that if messed with, wouldn't feel like T-day for us.

The dishes that top it off though are the fresh pumpkin pie that I make from the pumpkins I mushed myself, topped with fresh whipped cream and my raspberry-cranberry-pineapple-sour cream-walnut layered salad. :)

I always double it, so I use the huge lid to my round cake carrier as the final mixing bowl, and I use a 3-Qt. (11x17-inch?) glass baking dish. Don't forget to spray the bottom of the pan or you'll be sorry. Do that before you start on the rum. :D

Bread Pudding:

8 C packed 1/2-inch to 1-inch cubed rustic baguette or French bread

1/4 C butter, melted

1/4 C currants

1/4 C dried cranberries (instead of this or the currants, I've used 1/2 C frozen cranberries picked earlier that fall)

1 C sugar

2 egg yolks

4 large eggs

2 3/4 C high-quality eggnog (not fat-free)

3/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 C (or more ;)) dark rum

Optional: 3 Tbsp orange zest (this is best if you're not using the caramel sauce)

Caramel sauce: simply mix 1 C high-quality purchased caramel sauce with 2 Tbsp (or more ;)) dark rum in a small bowl

Directions:

Place bread in large bowl & drizzle w/ melted butter. Toss in currants and cranberries.

In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg yolks, whole eggs, eggnog, nutmeg and rum until well combined. Pour egg mixture over bread cubes & stir gently. Let stand at least 30 min., frequently pressing bread down into egg mixture and stirring up every 10 min. or so.

Transfer mixture to a 7x11-inch or 9-inch square glass baking pan (oil/spray it first). Bake at 350* until center is just barely set and inserted knife comes out clean, 40 min.

If made (baked) day before, remove bread pudding from fridge 2 hours prior to reheating. Bake, uncovered at 300* until just warm, 10-15 min.

Makes 6-8 servings. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream; hot, room-temp., or chilled.

Dh insists on green bean casserole :ack2:

My dad, too! He has to have the old Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup kind with pimentos and fried onions on top. I have finally given myself permission to not even add any to my plate.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a set holiday menu. It just wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving any other way.