How much do you spend on Christmas gifts each year  

1. 1. How much do you spend on Christmas gifts each year

• $0-$100
    • $101-$250
    • $250-$500
    • $500-$750
    • $750-$1000
    • over $1,000

How much do you spend on Christmas gifts? I mean EVERYONE on your list - SS teachers, family, kids, etc.

We put money back from our tax return each year bc Christmas is such a big expense. We try to cut back but $15 here and $15 there adds up. We draw names on my husbands side among his brothers and their wives. I make jams in the summer for giving to SS teachers, post lady, etc, but still we end up spending at least $1000 each year on parents, grandparents, cousins, and our own kids:tongue_smilie:. We always end up spending mroe on everyone else than we do our own kids. It makes me sad to see all that $ being wasted and then in turn receiving gifts that I really don't need or want.

SO I'm just curious how other WTM families handle this.

How much do you spend on Christmas gifts? I mean EVERYONE on your list - SS teachers, family, kids, etc.

We put money back from our tax return each year bc Christmas is such a big expense. We try to cut back but $15 here and $15 there adds up. We draw names on my husbands side among his brothers and their wives. I make jams in the summer for giving to SS teachers, post lady, etc, but still we end up spending at least $1000 each year on parents, grandparents, cousins, and our own kids:tongue_smilie:. We always end up spending mroe on everyone else than we do our own kids. It makes me sad to see all that $ being wasted and then in turn receiving gifts that I really don't need or want.

We end up spending a lot and this (what I bolded) is how I feel about it, too. I was just speaking with my dh a few days ago about this and I'd really like to come up with a different plan this year.

We spend about $700-800 each Christmas. It works out to $100-150 for each of our 4 children, $50-100 each for gifts between dh and I, and $50-100 for everyone else.

As a child we spent more money on extended family than each other and I was well aware of it. In fact, I remember the stress of trying to save enough money to buy gifts for every cousin, aunt, and grandparent. As a child I gave gifts to all of our extended family, but I never once gave a present to one of my siblings or to my mother. This was what I was taught to do. We had to meet the expectations of our extended family, even if the expectations were unreasonable and our own family's Christmas suffered.

I will not do that as an adult. Christmas gifts are for our immediate family. We send Christmas cards to extended family and friends. I buy several small boxes of inexpensive chocolates to give out to the SS teachers, coaches, etc. We do buy gifts for my 20-year-old brother since we are his only family now that our mother has died. Dh's family whined a little when we first dropped out of the gift exchanges, but we were so glad to be free of the drama and unwanted gifts. I just buy gifts for my own family, drop the cards in the mail, and then I enjoy the holidays. It's wonderful.

Guest vikie504

3 1/2 years ago, my husband and I decided to get completely out of debt, including our mortgage. We evaluated where we were spending out money and identified every place we could cut. We set aside $100 for Christmas and stuck to it. It is hard watching our friends buy expensive gifts, but we are only about a year away from achieving our goal and it is totally worth every sacrifice we've made.

We only buy for our children and we spend about 50 dollars per child.

I shop early in the year and I shop ebay or used stores for the best deals to find quality items like playmobil, lego or American Girl dolls.

If I shop in May or June, I can get really good deals on the same items that will sell for 2 to 3 times the amount used on ebay in October or November. So each year I finish all my Christmas shopping by June.

This year I got my oldest son 13 years old the Playmobil Eagle Fort (older version with complete setup) and Red Coat soldiers, Indians set, Union Soldiers and Confederate Army and gold wagon for 50 dollars including shipping on Ebay.

My 10 year old daughter is getting an Addy American Girl doll since we are studying slavery in history and she loves the Addy books and the doll has been on her list for several years. I found the doll on ebay in Excellent condition with her accessory set for 49.00 plus 8 dollars shipping cost.

My 8 years old son is getting the Playmobil Roman Collesium (large full ringed version) marked down from 129 dollars to 50 dollars. I found one brand new in package from a little toy store I found online located in San Antonio Texas. I used a coupon code and got free shipping on the item.

My youngest son 6 is getting the new Mario cart Knex set for 50.00 available from Amazon with free shipping.

I am getting my married daughter some baking gadgets for her kitchen and some odds and ends that add up to 50 dollars and my adult son will get some nice gift cards for groceries or what not's from Walmart that add up to 50 dollars.

I got my new grand-daughter a Bitty Baby doll from the American Girl Store for 50 dollars with shipping.

I have 6 children and one grandchild and that adds up to 350 dollars, which is our limit and what I can afford to buget with cash each year for Christmas.

Edited by Momma2Many66

We spend way too much on the kids. BUT, there is no gramma and grampa to buy for them, nor any aunts, uncles or cousins. So, we probably spend near $1,000, if not over. We buy for one person outside of the 4 of us. It's all about us!:D

We trade off Thanksgiving and Christmas with our extended families (dh's for Thanksgiving, mine for Christmas- switch the next year). So we get Christmas gifts for our nieces and nephews on the side we will see that year. We buy for the adults if we have the $$, but it's been quite a while since the last time we were able to. Dh and I exchange a small gift, and we get stuff for our kids, but I don't think we spend a lot. I give baked goods to SS teachers, mail carrier, etc.

My family (my parents and 2 married siblings, 1 nephew) has a $10 limit on what to spend for each person. Everyone makes a wish list for books (used on amazon), copy paper, and other needed or wanted items. It's fine to go over the limit, but no one expects that. What a relief to us!!! Some years when funds were even lower than usual I have made things instead of buying from the list.

well we spend the most of ds...he's the only kid and we have too many inlaws/family to buy for everyone-I get 3 sisters little "happies" each year---we get the grandparents/great-grandmother something each year (usually something I make or a framed pic)---and dh and I buy for each other......guessing between $250-$500

We spend way too much on the kids. BUT, there is no gramma and grampa to buy for them, nor any aunts, uncles or cousins. So, we probably spend near $1,000, if not over. We buy for one person outside of the 4 of us. It's all about us!:D

We're in a similar boat, with no grandparents or gift-exchanging relatives. My husband's parents are both deceased, and mine have been out of our lives for many (good) years. I'm an only child, and two of my husband's three brothers are in no position to do anything about holiday gifts. The third is married and stable and sometimes sends something small, but not always.

My husband loves to give and get gifts. So, despite my best efforts, we always end up spending more on the kids than is probably wise. But, he likes to see a full tree, and since we're the only ones filling it . . .

We do buy and/or make gifts for folks outside the family, though. I give something small to each of my kids' dance and voice teachers. And we send boxes with a few goodies to all three of my brothers-in-law. I send similar boxes to a couple of families to whom we have been close in past years.

We rarely get anything in return, but I have never considered those dollars or the effort of giving to be a waste. I enjoy that part of the holidays very much and don't consider it a business transaction.

We also still send cards to a list of about 40 people.

And my favorite part is the spending for angel trees. We usually buy for three or four kids each year: one of the gender and approximate age of each of our kids and one teenage girl in honor of the one I used to be, plus an occasional extra when we just can't resist. But last year when my daughter and I went to drop off the stuff at the Salvation Army, we saw an unusually large number of tags still hanging on the tree and ended up picking up a couple of extras.

I'd rather not add up how much we spend in total, but we can afford to pay cash for whatever we do. Some years, it's been less. Some years, we can afford to do more. We always manage to make it do plenty.

Most years it's around $500. We don't buy a lot for the three kids the rest of the year so try and get them something they want (or money towards). The rest is split between grandparents, teachers, etc. Most years we don't buy for my husband or myself, although last year they did get me a small tv as the upstairs one had died. It was more of a family gift, however.

We don't have any family close by so we only spend on the kids. They only ever get presents from us so it's easy to control the influx of gifts.

I don't really have a budget - we just buy what we can afford as we go along. I buy things on sale throughout the year.

My guess is around $500.

I will be making some gifts (sewing projects) for close friends, extended family, etc....

I will be baking for neighbors (or giving them our homemade canned goods, haven't decided.)

DH and I don't buy much for each other. We buy what we want/need at other times.

Most of the $500 or so will be on my kids.

They also will get $$ from grandparents, so they will get plenty.

Dawn

We always end up spending mroe on everyone else than we do our own kids. It makes me sad to see all that $ being wasted and then in turn receiving gifts that I really don't need or want.

This is how my siblings and I were feeling, so we decided to do something about it. We went through a trial and error period but finally about 5 years ago settled on this scheme. We rotate the gift giving and we can give individual or family gifts. It has really helped to cut down on the stress and the expense. We have seventeen children between the five of us. Anyway, the year we started this we were assigned to the next sibling up (I'm the oldest so I got youngest brother) and then you move up the line. It has worked beautifully. This year we're back to the family that we started with. I love that I can get a nice present for them instead of little things. For instance, last year my brother gave us Settlers of Catan and the expansion set. He never could have done that if he'd been buying gifts for 22 different people :o

My parents are not in the line-up. They are able, and like buying for all 22 of us.

My dh family is very small so that hasn't been an issue.

Honestly I don't have clue what we spend. We buy for our son, my parents, husband's dad, plus various "Aunts, Uncles, G'ma's and cousin's" (Close friends that are "family" but not related in the least.) as well as other friends, neighborhood friends. We do not buy for my brother and his family or BIL's family unless we were actually going to be visiting that area and seeing them. However BIL/SIL did send something for my 9yo last year.

What we spend on 9yo, husband and me will vary from year to year depending on what we are getting. Some years I may spend a few hundred on the husband and others less than a hundred. Same for him to me. We do not have any sort of set amount for my son. We get him what we want to get him. But we have never been big on him getting too much. My parents totally on the same page as us. My FIL, well he has to be given an approved list or we'd end up with stupid plastic, non age appropriate or super trendy crap.

Normally we have to ship EVERYTHING, but these past two and this next christmas, we are actually living by 'family' so we see them and don't need to ship things. But shipping is also a big factor in my shopping, both in packaging and postage cost (when it costs more to ship then to buy...)

I didn't vote because it varies hugely from year to year. We only buy for the kids and each other. I'm almost done shopping for the three kids and I'm estimating that the total for them will be $160. They are only getting books and a few clothing items this year.

I have no idea what to do for dh this year but I've set a max of $200. Sooo if he spends $200, I spend $200 and we spent $160 on the kids then it would be $560 total this year for 5 people.

We only spend money on our kids and our parents. I buy meaningful gifts for co-op teachers that is under $10 (I either buy ornaments or make cookies).

When we get together with my family we do not do drawings for each other. We all decided that we want to concentrate on getting together and being together as a family. We used to draw names but it got so complicated for everybody that it was decided by all to stop. My parents only gives one gift each and cash. They want us to buy for ourselves on things we need or would like to have. All of my brothers and myself have used this cash to buy a huge family gift for our own families. Something that benefitted the whole family.

DH family-never did the drawing. However our personal feelings with his family is that we also wish that his parents would stop giving gifts due to their financial situation. Even my kids said they would like to see them stop the gift-giving to the grandkids. They are very poor since the breadwinner retired (way too early). They will not hear of it. We feel this way because we see them wasting their money on gifts that somebody do not want or too old or too young for the toy.

Holly

We mostly buy for our immediate family and whoever we're actually spending the holidays with. We don't ship anything and we rarely have more than 5 people over for any given Christmas.

My vote looks high, but it's artificially inflated since I use Christmas as an excuse to stock up on needed items. I can put off most winter clothing purchases until then and add that to the pile of gifts. My kids usually get coats and boots on Christmas day if they need them. (Our winters don't get serious until January and it's not like they're going to school.)

Since we spend $500 or more per dc we spend well over $1000. But like someone else said we also use Christmas to purchase winter clothing since are seasons don't get too cold until Jan. We buy for dmil - generally a few items and then all dh's siblings go in together and buy a larger item --there have been years our part was $500. But, this year we are getting her a Toy Poodle. My parents are both deceased. We have only exchanged gifts a few times w/ db and his family - but since my mom just passed away I want to do something for his 5 kids for Christmas.

A big part of what we spend is on entertaining - we throw a Christmas party for other hs families and I generally spend several hundred just on the food before we ever get to the crafts, etc. And my kids take gifts and goodie bags to their team-mates.

Even years that we've talked about cutting back it doesn't ever seem to work out. We don't go into debt to do it though. We have friends that go into major debt for Christmas and then spend the year working to try to pay it off before the following Christmas.

We buy for ourselves, ds, any close family we are actually going to see for the holidays, and a couple very close friends. Oh, and I bake brownies for the mail lady and the trash guys. We do very inexpensive homemade gifts for the most part. We are trying to reduce clutter and "stuff" in general, so we don't participate in gift giving/exchanges with larger groups.

I don't like the stress of *having* to shop for so many people, as a duty. I also don't like receiving a whole bunch of stuff--it overwhelms me to have to manage things and find homes for them, when my house is already full. I am a HUGE lover of all things Christmas (carols, atmosphere, events, food, tree, snow, crafts, baking, etc.) but the gift thing makes me a little crazy. But I do really, really enjoy picking some special presents for my daughter.

For the extended family, in the past few years we've drawn names among my siblings and their children. It's been a relief. One of my sibs cannot truly afford to be buying extra presents, anyway. I've already put it out there that I would like to even quit with the drawing, starting next year. Instead, I'd like to have a family event where we all go out for a meal or stay in for an art project, or something like that.

This year we've decided to stick to the following for our kids:

Something they want,

Something they need,

Something to wear,

Something to read.

We have done this for a while now. We might add in an extra small toy for each child. I make Christmas pajamas for everyone and they get to open them and put them on for Christmas Eve.

I voted for this year, $750-$1000. The last 2 years have been significantly less (less than $250) because dh was laid off for most of that time.

That's why the $$ is high this year. We're feeling the need to splurge a bit. I will say that we pay in cash and are debt free except for our mortgage which we are paying down quickly. We have a bit extra this year and for the first time in 8 years or so, I will be getting dh a gift bigger than his usual toblerone bar.

My parents' financial situation has changed so we will draw names on my side.

We have 4 members of dh's family to buy for-2 get Harry & David, my BIL gets new sweats, MIL will get new coffee maker this year.

Everyone else gets homemade apple butter with a homemade ornament. This year I'm trying paper cranes.

I cut way back -- meaning to nothing. Sorry, garbage guys and postman -- but I am guessing that you have a pretty livable salary. medical and pension. Ditto teachers -- when all the teachers (and the crossing guard, nurse, principal, etc) were included, we were doing presents for almost 25 school personnel. I still tip the newspaper delivery people, though.

It was sort of like "If you give a mouse a cookie." If you give to classroom teachers, you have to give to aides. If you give to aides, then you give to special ed teachers and therapists. Then to music and art, Spanish and gym. The you remember how helpful the guidance counselor and nurse have been. Their offices are near the principal's, and the secretary is right outside the principal's office. You almost forget the librarian, and by then you might as well give to the custodian, and of course the crossing guard...

When I added everything up, I was spending almost as much on garbage, mail & school as on my dc, so I just stopped giving presents. (But, through the year, I send notes, photos, books picked up at book sales, etc. to teachers.)

I spend about $150 per child, but will spend more when the present is educational -- chemistry set, rocks and minerals, camping equipment for scouts. Ds follows money, so I explain that, say, a chemistry set he wants will only "count" at a rate of 50Ă‚Â¢ per dollar of cost, while a new sleeping bag that he doesn't really care about, but needs, counts at a lower rate. I try to make the adjusted cost come out so that it is even for both kids. Pretty convoluted, but it works for us.

Rest of the family is very minimal -- a well-chosen book or cd from Amazon (thank goodness for Prime) suffices.

Edited by Alessandra

I voted in the $500 to $750 range. I may be on target with that or not. I am not completely sure. We spend what we can afford at the time and by what our kids may really want. Or what my mom may really want. For instance, a few years back - our budget was tight. I probably spent under $400 for everyone including our kids and my mom. The last 2 years we have had more freedom with money. Last year, I didn't spend a lot on our kids, but we did choose to get my mom a flat screen tv for her den. This year, I have no idea what to get my teenage daughter - so as it stands - I haven't spent much on her. Our little boy will come in under $100. Then there is my mom - I want to go in with my sister to get her a couch. My dh and I want to get my mom nicer things she cannot afford because when we were starting out - my parents did so much to help us. Now that we can afford to help her out - we like to do that. My adult disabled sister also lives with my mom on a very fixed income - so it is giving her some nice things too. As for the rest of our extended family - I cut it way back last year. I, like others have said, felt I was shuffling one useless gift for another. I began making fudge (something people seem to love and always ask for more of) and then a small token with it. I have quite a few nieces and nephews that are older and on tight budgets. We like to send them a gift card to eat. We remember from only a few years back pinching pennies to go out to eat and we like to treat these wonderful young couples.

We have a Christmas savings account that we use every year. We buy for my daughter and step-daugther (in college so she usually gets money). I generally spend less for my daughter because she gets gifts from aunts, uncles and grandparents. Every year we say we are going to spend less on her but it rarely changes. We may buy less stufff but the big gift usually costs more or equal to all the little stuff. We buy for 2 nieces & 1 nephew sometimes - not always consistent. We also exchange gifts. Either way we generally spend up to about $700 - $750.

We usually spend $750-$1000 and we always have a tight budget :001_huh: We have a lot of outside people to buy for and we spend about $200 per kid depending on what they want and what others have bought them.

BUT this year we are only spending $300 total. I got as many mypoints points as I could, saved them all year and got two $50 gift cards. We have a credit card that earns points at Cabelas and I have also saved those up and did both my ds's gifts for FREE!!!!! I will use the two $100 gift cards towards my dd's gift and will add $100 on top of that for her. The other $200 will be for family gifts and grab bags, etc.

I am hoping to be able to do this every year....save up points to earn gift cards to put towards Christmas :)

In the past we've spent about $750-1000. It is really TOO MUCH and put's us into debt that it takes the next several months to pay. We've talked about cutting back many, many times. It is the only time of year we buy anything new for the kids. We are big on buying used for everything else. This year we are going to have to cut back by necessity. Our debt for the year is already more that what it usually is by the end of the year, after Christmas. I'm making what I can homemade with the materials and yarn I already have stashed. I'm committed to not adding much to our debt, but I'm concerned dh is not! He really loves getting the kids new stuff for Christmas. I've asked him to agree to a set limit per kid, but he hasn't yet. Sigh.

Well, I just ordered Playmobil for the boys.:eek: They will without a doubt play with it enough to make it worth it, but Oh My. I'd like to say I won't get them anything else, but I've been getting the kids Your Story Hour CDs for Christmas, and I'd like to do that again.

We spend a lot. I'm okay with that. I like giving gifts in general. Back when spending $30 a week at the grocery story seemed painful, I alloted 5% of our budget to gift giving. We buy for 6-8 (this year 8) people in Dh's family for 50-100 dollars each. I'm going to try to trim this down a bit. This year I want to get a small scrapbook to make for MIL. The youngest one is little so we should be able find him something fairly inexpensive. One of the teens is getting Ticket to Ride which is less than $50. We spend a lot on my parents' gifts, too. We get something for my siblings and their spouses but we don't usually spend as much on them as we do on Dh's sibs. I also buy for my sister's kids. In the past I've given them a large gift to share. This year I got them each smaller gifts. I'll probably spend as much on all five of her kids as I'll spend on one of Dh's nieces or nephews (that isn't a big problem; I love those kids a lot) because his nieces and nephews are older and have more expensive tastes.

Dh and I aren't getting each other anything since we bought a picture for our house a few months ago. We will get each kid (except baby girl) a large gift and a couple of small ones. Then the big chunk for extended family and miscellaneous gifts. Something that we've never done in a serious way before is adopt a family for Christmas. I think that would be fun.

I do not purchase gifts for SS teachers, small group leaders, etc. I think the "you must give a gift to everyone" thing has gotten out of hand and is one causes of the wanton commercialism associated with the season. I tend to make loaves of homemade bread/muffins and couple it with a jars of homemade applesauce or peaches in grape juice when I need a thank you for someone outside the family that serves in a position and is not necessarily a close friend. So, these gifts do not cost much.

We do not exchange gifts with any member of dh's extended family except his mother who lives close and whom we are very fond of. On my side of the family, the adults limit it quite a bit and mostly the children benefit from a gift exchange. This year, dh and I are considering a group family gift for our kids plus stockings and then doing nothing else in order to simplify the season.

I don't do Christmas cards. Mil has the most ridiculous list of people to send cards to that I've ever seen. 80 people...it's crazy expensive even when she buys cards in bulk and especially at nearly 50 cents per for postage. I just cannot imagine how spending $100.00 on card giving is a wise thing.

Dh and I will not be exchanging gifts. We have two years and then we'll be debt free so our goal is to just keep plugging away at that and then in celebration of that last house payment, taking a nice trip together.

So, I voted $250.00 - $500.00 and I think that it will be around the $350.00 mark for the whole thing.

Faith

We spend a lot. I know it's over $1000. We buy for all siblings (there are 8 between us), all nieces and nephews (15 or so), our own kids, and parents. I also make bread for the mailman, piano teacher, violin teacher, Sunday School teacher, karate instructor, etc, etc, etc.

I love shopping for everyone! We don't spend much on the kids during the year and this is our excuse to buy fun stuff for them. (I'm having to hold myself back this year from ordering ALL of Kanani's stuff from the American Girl catalog!!! LOL)

well golly, I didn't expect less than a $100 to be the minority, and me in it! lol

we have 4 kids, and do stockings and a small gift for them.

My mom is extravagant and she spends a ton of them, so we don't.

They themselves spend about $25 each on a small present for each other, and they like to combine for something for us.

our biggest expense is our tree

$5 for the permit to cut it down.

I just have to wonder when Christmas became buy, buy, buy for everyone? Back in my day we didn't buy anything for our teacher, perhaps the kids made something for them but it was few and far between. But it's morphed into this huge buying frenzy whether it be food or whatever for every contact known to family...cousins, nephews, aunts, coaches, teachers, and the list goes on and on and really it makes Christmas a financial nightmare and a thought process to be dreaded. My jaw drops when I hear of some of these acquaintences having to buy for every secondary family member, work friends, etc. and the list goes on. We just did g-pa, g-ma, mom dad, brother, sister. Maybe made a batch of cookies....as a group gift, with....get this.....a Christmas card!

Perhaps I'm a scrooge, but I like the idea of bringing back the Christmas cards with a thoughtful message. Thoughtful message being a key word.

I do not purchase gifts for SS teachers, small group leaders, etc. I think the "you must give a gift to everyone" thing has gotten out of hand and is one causes of the wanton commercialism associated with the season.

Faith

:iagree:

I can't even imagine the closet full of junk these people own around Christmas time. Down the road the junk is being sold at the garage sale.

I prefer random acts; like giving a big tip to a waitress or paying for the car behind me in the McD's line, etc.

Edited by alilac
typos....sheesh.

:iagree:

I can't even imagine the closet full of junk these people own around Christmas time. Down the road the junk is being sold at the garage sale.

I prefer random acts; like giving a big tip to a waitress or paying for the car behind me in the McD's line, etc.

Who said the two were mutually exclusive?

For what it's worth, we always give something small and preferably consumable to teachers and casual friends, specifically because I know most people don't need more random stuff. We occasionally give gift certificates instead or in addition to a batch of cookies or a loaf of home-made bread.

We enjoy giving. The recipients enjoy receiving. We can afford it. Where's the harm?

This year we've decided to stick to the following for our kids:

Something they want,

Something they need,

Something to wear,

Something to read.

It's actually relieving a lot of the stress of shopping. Dh and I don't exchange gifts.

We have a large extended family. We can't afford to shop for another 50+ people. I make homemade gifts for the nieces and nephews (just under 20 of them), except for the couple of teenage ones who receive cash. Everyone else (siblings and spouses, moms and step-dads, grandmas, aunts and uncles, cousins), they get a "Merry Christmas!". If we're visiting their home during the season, we'll bring along a basket of baked goods, otherwise we don't do anything special.

We do something similar. Ours is:

Something to read (A book... DD9 always wants the Guinness World Record book )

Something to wear ( Christmas Jammies)

Something to play with ( A toy they have been really wanting)

Something to share. (Usually a board game, video game or set they can all play with. )

This year, DH and I have been talking about the fact that our kids are kind of entitled and it really bothers us. We have decided to cut way back on the gifts throughout the year and up the charitable giving to others less fortunate. We have been incredibly blessed but that gives us no right to raise entitled spoiled kids. :(

We keep our lists small, the reality is we can't do gifts for a huge extended list of family and friends. Period.

Every year we find something the girls can do to make for their friends and each other. Very excited for this year, we are doing tile jewelery.

clip_image001.jpg

1294937019-59.jpg

The supplies were really inexpensive on Etsy.com

I am knitting up a storm too, making lots of Bella's Mitten's

and Susie's Reading Mitts on Ravelry.

We've let our extended family know that our budget doesn't extend to gifts other than for the kids that live at home. We don't buy for the adult kids or any of the grandkids. We are also philosophically opposed to encouraging our kids to focus on material things and we try to live with less 'stuff', so it all works out really well. Typically we will get a few family gifts, like a couple new wii games, and have a nice meal. I like to find something inexpensive to give DH and he usually gives me something like bubble bath. The younger kids will get maybe a doll or some hot wheels. That is it.

We keep our lists small, the reality is we can't do gifts for a huge extended list of family and friends. Period.

Every year we find something the girls can do to make for their friends and each other. Very excited for this year, we are doing tile jewelery.

clip_image001.jpg

1294937019-59.jpg

The supplies were really inexpensive on Etsy.com

I am knitting up a storm too, making lots of Bella's Mitten's

and Susie's Reading Mitts on Ravelry.

:001_wub:LOVE. Are you shrinking the art work?

I'd like to spend $100 per child this year and get quality stuff. We don't buy for extended family. We've done years where the kids get only thrift store stuff and they were just as happy for everything they received...and the stuff lasted just as long.:glare:

I love the 4 gifts idea. I'd like to trade "To Wear" for something like "To Give" a gift to a child who doesn't have much. We did a gift exchange amongst our children last year and they loved buying for each other and it completely changed the focus leading up to Christmas from "I want..." to "I can't wait to give..."