Menu

What do you think Ike is a nickname for?

We have a son that we've called Ike from day one. It's the name I liked and wanted, but since it sounds like a nickname we gave him a more formal name and just call him Ike. The formal name is what I'd always believed Ike was a nickname for. But since his birth 5+ years ago, I've come to realize that just maybe I was wrong about this. The latest was when our priest asked me if there was a St. Ike, or which saint is his patron saint (his formal name is a common Orthodox name, so I realized that he didn't think of Ike as a nickname for this formal name). I wonder if he's been calling him Ike at the eucharistic chalice.

So I'd be interested in hearing what you think Ike is a nickname for (don't Google it -- I want to know what YOU think based on your past information/experience).

Dwight is what first comes to mind. But I do wonder if Ike was commonly used as a nickname for Dwight prior to Eisenhower? Or was it something his parents came up with?

I've read several books where characters were named Isaac or Isaiah and nicknamed Ike. I suspect that this is more common than the Dwight scenario.

Dwight is what first comes to mind. But I do wonder if Ike was commonly used as a nickname for Dwight prior to Eisenhower? Or was it something his parents came up with?

Prolly not since his mamma chose Dwight partly because with it he wouldn't have a nickname! :D

Isaac is our son's given name and I'd always though this was what Ike was a nickname for (yes, I'd heard of the Dwight Eisenhower connection, but there's nothing there to make it as natural -- to me -- as Isaac, to cull Ike from it). Anyway, it was just interesting to me to realize that not everyone thinks of Isaac as the name from which Ike comes.

And yes O6, St. Isaac the Syrian is who he received as a patron saint at baptism. :001_smile:

Edited by milovaný

Okay jumped through the thread…I can kinda see it for Isaac but how in the world do you guys get Ike from "Dwight"? It doesn't even sound like it!

I think it's from Eisenhower, not Dwight. Still not as clear as Isaac (to me) but seems more plausible.

I didn't google, as requested. I thought that Ike was a name on its own? I never knew it was supposed to be a nickname.

I really wanted to name him just Ike, and wish I'd pursued it more. No matter now, since his patron saint (and name at church) is Isaac and he says he prefers being called Isaac. So "Isaac" is in his life, but we still call him Ike, too.

As a child, I received an "I like Ike" button for touring an aircraft carrier named after Eisenhower. I think it was a replica of one of his campaign slogans, and didn't realize it could be a nickname for any other name.

Maybe you can find some "I like Ike" buttons! :)

Edited by Spryte
not enough coffee this morning - can't get my thoughts together!