Menu

Please tell me somebody else's kid does this!

No, but when I was in 5th grade, all the girls in my class belonged to the cat club; all except me. They pretended they were cats and meowed all during recess. I didn't get it, so went in a corner and read a book. So, since I am NOT normal and the rest of the class did this, it must be normal, so don't worry! :)

I cannot count the number of times I say, "walk like a human in the house", on any given day. :glare:

Oh my gosh!! Me too! We have to tell the girls, "No animals after dark."

Sylvia has been Bolt a lot lately and she even puts "Bolt" on her school papers. DH and I thought, what would an evaluator think of that? :lol:

Your dd hasn't lost her imagination! That's all.

I think school knocks it out of most kids.

I have on several occasions now met kids in the 7-10 age range where the parent says, "my kid gets along better with younger kids." You'd think it would mean the kid was a little "slow" or immature. But not in the cases I saw - all smart, intelligent, with it kids who just still liked to play pretend.

I have on several occasions now met kids in the 7-10 age range where the parent says, "my kid gets along better with younger kids." You'd think it would mean the kid was a little "slow" or immature. But not in the cases I saw - all smart, intelligent, with it kids who just still liked to play pretend.

I feel so much better now. Imaginary play is the girls' biggest occupation right now. They hardly play with actual toys.

My 9 year old will sometimes put her hair in pigtails (for dog ears) and pin a tail (usually a sock) on the back of her pants. She will even go so far as to eat try to eat her food without hands. :tongue_smilie: Older dd grew out of this at about 10 but I don't know if younger will ever tire of the game.

I totally agree.

I watched my almost 13yo and another almost 13yo friend be horses at the lake for hours today.

I hope this is us in a few years! I love it!!!

My 7.5 year old still does and I don't expect to see it change anytime soon. Fellow homeschool friends have a 12 and 10 year old who play these games with the younger ones all the time. :)

animals, vehicles, vegetables, rocks...DD was pretending to be 'sadness' the other day...it was a kind of interpretative dance sort of thing <shrug>.

FWIW, homeschool kids seem to do this sort of thing till they're much older than ps kids. I choose to believe that's a good thing.

um. picture this... me (already a fat chick) 39 weeks pregnant, crawling around the dining room floor being a fox looking for a tasty little chicken (DS). Look up to see courier watching us with his mouth hanging open through the large window next to the door. THEN struggle to get to my feet (39 weeks pregnant and already fat remember) while he's watching the whole time and go open the door for him :lol: apparently this is DS's favourite memory of when DD was growing in my tummy.

My guys are littler but they are often animals. They also have a fascination for pretending to eat things, as in 'nom, I ate the fence', 'nom, I ate the tree'. Kids are weird, it's their job.

yes, and her friends do, too. Innocence and child like play are extended for homeschoolers. In PS the kids are forced to grow up too fast.

It's only a stage mom. It will pass.:001_smile:

My oldest ds is such a great kid, and SO smart. When he was 6 or so, he kept fidgeting in the front seat of the truck. I finally said, "DS19, why do you have to constantly be playing with something? You're ALWAYS moving around!" His answer? "Because I'm a kid, mom, and that's what kids do." I've never forgotten that, and I've reminded myself of that MANY times!!!:lol:

my oldest still pretended to be an animal at 8. He especially liked to pretend he was a dog and wanted me to give him commands. :confused:

He's getting close to 20 now, in college, has a job working with the public, and he no longer pretends to be an animal. He does still have a good imagination, though! :)