Menu

If it really did exist

I actually live in Mayberry (though it has a different name), and dh moved us here because it's his dream town. After three years here it's still his dream town. Yes, Floyd cuts his hair (same b&w pics on the wall since the 50s), Aunt Bea makes brownies (don't you DARE try bringing your own brownies!), and Sarah (and several other ladies) manage the town grapevine.

Not my first (or tenth) choice, but dh :001_wub: took me up on the "whithersoever thou goest" clause of our wedding vows--I was hoping subsaharan Africa, but Mayberry will do for now.

and you had the chance, would you live in Mayberry??

Thats what my mother in law calls where we live now! :lol: All the sheriffs stop to talk to people and ALWAYS waves at everybody. We live in a small TINY town (the population of the whole state is less than the population of the county we moved from when we moved states) We have nothing here. Nothing for recreation, 1 tiny overpriced store, a convenience store that people call a grocery store- 1 old fashioned barber shop :lol:

I absolutely would!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I live in Mayberry (by a different name) too!

It's a great place for us to raise kids - especially a larger family. Love, love, love it for that reason.

As far as living here the rest of my life? If my Mayberry didn't have nasty prairie winters, maybe. With the nasty prairie winters, no thanks.

I never want to live in a big city again. I don't need any of that.

Nah, the population is generally too homogeneous to accept anything 'different.' I moved :-)

I love the show, but would not want to live there. Where are the people of other races??

No for those reasons. I am afraid that our family would not be acceptable. We already live in an area that remains pretty segregated and I don't like that.

Now, I would love to find a place that has more people with similar values and such.

Besides, Mayberry was a myth even then. THe 60s while this was being filmed in most of 'real' America was struggling with race relations, the death of a president, poverty, the Hippie Movement, Vietnam was beginning, and more.

My grandmother lived in "Mayberry", so I spent my summers there every year. I look back with great fondness on it now.

My town would probably be considered small, and we are surrounded by other smallish cities all the way down to Salt Lake. It gives you that wonderful community feeling with all the comforts of the big city (Mt. Pilot, I suppose :D) right nearby.

My neighborhood is definitely Mayberry. Because we're LDS and our wards are organized geographically, we all attend the same church every Sunday. And, because we're LDS...it isn't just about going to church on Sunday. We all know each other...well. I know the names of every single family in my neighborhood, the names of all their children, and usually much more. We are friends. We spend time in each other's homes...with an open door policy. We have book club together every month. We do craft and decorating projects together on a regular basis. And we serve each other. As the "You Know You Live in Utah" list says..."two of your salad bowls and one of your casserole pans are in the homes of 3 different neighbors right now." That's pretty spot on. :D

Living in my neighborhood Mayberry also means that my kids have instant friends. My 10 yo ds has more than 15 boys his own age (closer to 30 if you add kids one year older or younger than him) to play with. He leaves the house in the morning and they play all day together. All the fun stuff...riding bikes, climbing the hill in the vacant lot, swimming at the pool in our neighbor's backyard, etc. Yesterday, there were 7 boys in my family room playing Kinect when I got home from running errands. I got them snacks and retired to the front porch for the day. :lol:

So, yes, I love my Mayberry!! I live surrounded by people I truly care about and love. It's a wonderful place!

I'm laughing because the concept of Mayberry is sometimes a daily topic of conversation around here.

My dh has a gift for being a likeable, calming, soothing person. Many years ago, the first time I actually looked into his eyes, startled by something he'd said to me, I just relaxed and wanted to keep looking--he was so calm, so restful. No hard edge or games.

Everywhere he goes people like him. People in fact fall all over themselves being nice to him. Snotty shop clerks suddenly turn helpful. Appointments in busy medical offices suddenly open up. Handymen are suddenly willing and able to show up and fix our things. People feel safe with him and open up to him.

It's a serendipity that has become an ongoing family joke. We say that he lives in Mayberry, and the rest of us wish we could find our way there too. :)

Besides, Mayberry was a myth even then. THe 60s while this was being filmed in most of 'real' America was struggling with race relations, the death of a president, poverty, the Hippie Movement, Vietnam was beginning, and more.

:iagree:

No, I wouldn't want to live in Mayberry. Because of this:

More diversity, please.

We LOVE The Andy Griffith Show. Grenada's a tiny bit like Mayberry in that everyone knows your business and there really is no anonymity. Has its pros and cons. One of the pros is that people care. Cons ... well, they might care too much ;) and that can be a total pain. We love it here, however.

No, but I would live in Dibley (BBC Vicar of Dibley) or

Me too. Love that show. :) We have the entires series.

I could do without the winters, however. I loathe cold weather.

I love the show, but would not want to live there. Where are the people of other races??

Exactly. :) Not much diversity.

I love the characters on The Andy Griffith Show. :D

Dh and I were pleasantly surprised during the last election that Andy and Opie are on the same page as us politically ;). We didn't think that Andy was. Not that it should make a difference. Just nice to see ... But I digress ...

I actually live in Mayberry (though it has a different name), and dh moved us here because it's his dream town. After three years here it's still his dream town. Yes, Floyd cuts his hair (same b&w pics on the wall since the 50s), Aunt Bea makes brownies (don't you DARE try bringing your own brownies!), and Sarah (and several other ladies) manage the town grapevine.

Not my first (or tenth) choice, but dh :001_wub: took me up on the "whithersoever thou goest" clause of our wedding vows--I was hoping subsaharan Africa, but Mayberry will do for now.

I live in a Mayberry-esque town. There is certainly a charm about it...but then, there's alot that didn't make it onto the t.v. screen. :glare:

If I had known then what I know now...I'd say no. I'd probably move just outside Asheville...the best of both worlds.

I would probably be a bit worried about the alcoholism, hicks running around with guns and the occasional scary robber guy.

It seems to have a lot of crime and 1/2 the police are incompetent.

:lol:

To be fair I would tolerate the occasional Cary Grant impersonation for a good mechanic.

:lol:

You can certainly pick out the people who watched the show!

My grandmother lived in "Mayberry", so I spent my summers there every year. I look back with great fondness on it now.

My town would probably be considered small, and we are surrounded by other smallish cities all the way down to Salt Lake. It gives you that wonderful community feeling with all the comforts of the big city (Mt. Pilot, I suppose :D) right nearby.

My neighborhood is definitely Mayberry. Because we're LDS and our wards are organized geographically, we all attend the same church every Sunday. And, because we're LDS...it isn't just about going to church on Sunday. We all know each other...well. I know the names of every single family in my neighborhood, the names of all their children, and usually much more. We are friends. We spend time in each other's homes...with an open door policy. We have book club together every month. We do craft and decorating projects together on a regular basis. And we serve each other. As the "You Know You Live in Utah" list says..."two of your salad bowls and one of your casserole pans are in the homes of 3 different neighbors right now." That's pretty spot on. :D

Living in my neighborhood Mayberry also means that my kids have instant friends. My 10 yo ds has more than 15 boys his own age (closer to 30 if you add kids one year older or younger than him) to play with. He leaves the house in the morning and they play all day together. All the fun stuff...riding bikes, climbing the hill in the vacant lot, swimming at the pool in our neighbor's backyard, etc. Yesterday, there were 7 boys in my family room playing Kinect when I got home from running errands. I got them snacks and retired to the front porch for the day. :lol:

So, yes, I love my Mayberry!! I live surrounded by people I truly care about and love. It's a wonderful place!

I experienced that kind of koinonia at one point in my life, it is very satisfying and nurturing. I'm happy for you....and more than a wee bit jealous. ;)

Geo

I was recently in the real "Mayberry" and I wouldn't mind living there or near there. What a neat place! However, there aren't many jobs in the area and "Mt. Pilot" is too far away to commute.

The kids and I were talking about this on our way up there, especially when I pointed out Pilot Mountain and explained that was the namesake for "Mt. Pilot."

No. I do not care for everyone knowing and/or discussing my private life. The anonymity and advantages of a large city are far preferable to me.

:iagree: We live in a tight knit little neighborhood in a large city. A little too close to Mayberry for comfort some times! At least we have the perks of city living. It's funny - we also live blocks from a major university campus that has a agricultural division. We can walk to see herds of cows and sheep and horses. But we're also within 10 minutes of at least a dozen museums and probably a hundred restaurants. I shop at 8 different grocery stores on a rotating basis. I had about 8 neighborhood kids through my house today. I have my choice of 3 Targets to visit. LOVE where we live.

Oh - love diversity too.