Menu

WOW! increase in price of cheese

I was at the grocery store today. I buy Velvetta on a regular basis. I use it in my mac and cheese and also grilled cheese. My dh likes it with his eggs. I was absolutely shocked at the price! then I started looking at the other cheese and the same thing. Six months ago I could get Velvetta for $4.50 and the store brand for $3.68 (this is what I usually bought). About three months ago, Velvetta rose to $4.98 and the store brand $3.98. Today, Velvetta $6.28, store brand $5.07. Completely shocked! The shredded and the sliced cheese rose quite a bit too.

Bread is killing us. The loaf I normally buy is now $4.99 a loaf when not on sale (and it isn't even special), and we use 3/4 of the loaf each time we make sandwiches for lunch. I need to find out how many WW points my homemade bread is and start making it again.

Yes I noticed that yesterday when we went grocery shopping. We buy brick cheese, extra sharp cheddar and mozzarella. We buy it in bulk because we have alteast an hours drive one way to any decent grocery store. For a 32oz brick it was $9.99 :blink: Last time I bought it, it was $6.29... I checked the label again THEN did one of those price scan things. Could not believe it.

We live an hour and a half from Sams Club, but I can not wait to go there again, its much cheaper-- or at least it was :001_huh:

It takes approximately 10 litres of milk to make 1 kg of cheese. if the price of milk goes up, so will the price of cheese.

Yes. Until the past week, DH had been in the cheese production business for quite a few years. I believe cows also do not produce as much during extreme heat, which the US has been dealing with this summer. In all honesty, when it comes right down to it, the farmers in dairy and pork (these are the two I'm most familiar with) get royally messed over. The companies are the ones that make the money.

Bread is killing us. The loaf I normally buy is now $4.99 a loaf when not on sale (and it isn't even special), and we use 3/4 of the loaf each time we make sandwiches for lunch. I need to find out how many WW points my homemade bread is and start making it again.

*jawdrop* I pay $1.19! And that's a jump from $.99. But then, I'm talking the cheapest white bread there is (we would occasionally splurge for wheat or five grain).

It takes approximately 10 litres of milk to make 1 kg of cheese. if the price of milk goes up, so will the price of cheese.

OMG. Then it must take at least... what? 10? 20 litres of plastic to make 1kg of Velveeta? ;) :tongue_smilie:

It isn't just cheese. It is EVERYTHING.

:iagree: I had been spending about 20 -30% of our grocery bill on necessities and then the remainder would go to stocking up on sale items. Recently, I have been spending about 50 - 60% on necessities and then I only have 30% left to stock up with.

Lisa

I haven't actually noticed a price increase on cheese. I typically only buy it when it's on sale and it seems like it's *always* on sale.

I noticed cheese took a bit of a jump but the price of coffee is what's hurting me. :glare:

Absolutely. Our favorite coffee from a local little coffee roaster jumped up $3/lb overnight! It got to the point where dh and I had to give it up and have settled on a much cheaper grocery store brand.

Do you have a bread outlet near you? I stop by ours every few weeks and stock up on bread and buns. The bread that is usually in between $3-$4/loaf at the grocery is 5 loaves for $4 at the outlet. I don't even think I could make it that cheaply!

In all seriousness, though... The US has enjoyed artificially (subsidized) low food prices for a very, very long time. With the economy the way it is, it is no wonder that prices are rising.

Food prices have always been somewhat higher here in Canada than in the US, but nowhere near what our European cousins are paying. I've seen many posts addressing food prices on these boards, and our friends in AU and NZ pay what I consider quite high prices, too.

Welcome to the reality of most of the rest of the world. I think you're just going to have to get used to not having cheap food anymore. I doubt food prices will do anything but climb higher -- but I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

It isn't just cheese. It is EVERYTHING.

Now see, it's BEEN like that around us, but in the last few weeks, prices ahve gone down, and let me tell you, it's like the budget can breathe again. All of those increases must ahve added something like 60 bucks to the bottom line. But, like I said, they've gone down finally. Bread is back down to 2.99 (Arnold whole wheat) and whole milk (hormone free) is at 3.69 a gallon.

In all seriousness, though... The US has enjoyed artificially (subsidized) low food prices for a very, very long time. With the economy the way it is, it is no wonder that prices are rising.

Food prices have always been somewhat higher here in Canada than in the US, but nowhere near what our European cousins are paying. I've seen many posts addressing food prices on these boards, and our friends in AU and NZ pay what I consider quite high prices, too.

Welcome to the reality of most of the rest of the world. I think you're just going to have to get used to not having cheap food anymore. I doubt food prices will do anything but climb higher -- but I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

It seems that everytime I go to the store, prices are higher and higher. Even "sale" prices aren't that great. We are going to be eating a lot, lot less!:001_huh: I am going to have to research how they manage to eat in other countries so I know how to do it here!:tongue_smilie:

I was at the grocery store today. I buy Velvetta on a regular basis. I use it in my mac and cheese and also grilled cheese. My dh likes it with his eggs. I was absolutely shocked at the price! then I started looking at the other cheese and the same thing. Six months ago I could get Velvetta for $4.50 and the store brand for $3.68 (this is what I usually bought). About three months ago, Velvetta rose to $4.98 and the store brand $3.98. Today, Velvetta $6.28, store brand $5.07. Completely shocked! The shredded and the sliced cheese rose quite a bit too.

I rarely buy Velveeta (in fact, haven't bought it since having kids), but needed some sort of a dip for my son's birthday party this weekend. The 1# blocks were priced at $4.29, but the "spicy buffalo" was nearing expiration and was marked down to $1.99. I got a 1# block of Kraft mild cheddar for $2.50 the week before. Clearance and expiring merchandise are saving our grocery budget.

It seems that everytime I go to the store, prices are higher and higher. Even "sale" prices aren't that great. We are going to be eating a lot, lot less!:001_huh: I am going to have to research how they manage to eat in other countries so I know how to do it here!:tongue_smilie:

Seasonal produce. Shop strategically and with a solid plan. Instead of going for the most calories for your buck, go for the most nutrition for your buck.

*jawdrop* I pay $1.19! And that's a jump from $.99. But then, I'm talking the cheapest white bread there is (we would occasionally splurge for wheat or five grain).

We usually get Oroweat whole wheat. I don't think my kids have ever had white sandwich bread. We get this particular bread because it had no high fructose corn syrup and is dairy free.

We started using it when we HAD to be 100% dairy free. Very few breads are made without some form of dairy.

We usually get Oroweat whole wheat. I don't think my kids have ever had white sandwich bread. We get this particular bread because it had no high fructose corn syrup and is dairy free.

We started using it when we HAD to be 100% dairy free. Very few breads are made without some form of dairy.

Werd. :glare: Bountiful Baskets co-op has dairy-free 9-grain for $2.

:iagree:The price of groceries are killing my budget!

Here too! They had a thing on teh radio the other day to expect food prices to soar over the next couple years. I can barely afford them now, this is not a good thing. From looking at the prices you guys have listed so far, I can say we have already been paying more than that for years here in Canada, and it is going up way faster than I can make enough money to expand the budget.

Expect meat to go up quite a bit as well. Texas is a huge source of diary and beef, thanks to its ranches.

It's also in "Exceptional" drought throughout 75% of the state, the very worst category. A local news program reported the other day that ranchers are selling off their cattle early, because they don't have the water or food to support them. The cattle looked pretty bad too--scrawny with bones showing.

In fact, this Bloomberg article cites the drought as killing off the hay crop--which in turn, has cost dairy farmers all over the country much more to feed their cattle.

So, you could probably link the higher costs of cheese to the Texas drought. Although I maintain that Velveeta is not actually cheese...

Edited by Aelwydd

OMG. Then it must take at least... what? 10? 20 litres of plastic to make 1kg of Velveeta? ;) :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was going to say something, but I can't follow that. Awesome.

When chips hit $4 a bag I flat out refused to buy them. There are much better sides for our sandwiches to bother with just giving our money away. I go with fries, potatoes, salads . . .almost anything else.

Flour seems higher too, but not nearly as high as bread, so I've been making more bread at home because the cheap white stuff doesn't satisfy us. If you've been on the fence about splurging on a stand mixer now might be the time to buy. Mine paid for itself the first year. I never baked much of anything before I had it. Heck, even a bread machine HAS to help the budget.

You raise an interesting point about drought. I know here locally that the corn is all burned up in the fields, that the soybean crop looks meager and that the wheat harvest done around the 4th of July was also pretty skimpy. Everyone is calculating how much hay they have (everyone just finished baling)---I suspect that people will slaughter their excess herd this year rather than ship in hay and grain due to high costs.

We adjusted our diet a few years ago back during the 2008(?) gas/wheat/rice crisis. It's just hard this go around to adjust again....especially with our garden dying despite regular watering. Our plants just can't take weeks and weeks of 100+ heat. :(

Like everyone else I am noticeing the drastic increase in prices. As well as cheese, hamburger has shot through the roof here. Yesterday our grocery had it on sale for 1.99 a lb and they limited it to 3 pkgs per customer. We have been eating a lot of chicken.

Also going up: canned veggies, sugar, flour, bananas, yogurt, bacon, and cereal. Sigh.

My pet peeve grocery stores that post signs that say "New Low Price" when they've marked that item up. I am wondering when grocery aisle rage will become a common event.

I'd only sort of noticed some prices increasing back home in PA. I'm visiting family now in northern NY... we went to the grocery store yesterday. If I had to shop here regularly, our budget would be shot! Most things are at least $1 more expensive and many things higher than that - for the exact same item. There are plenty of Canadian license plates in the parking lot (esp with their dollar higher than ours), so I can only imagine what prices are there.

Meanwhile, I feel fortunate to live in a place where things are grown and the weather has been good. We can mostly avoid thing that have gone up in price (for a while anyway). We can also live off our garden for a good segment of our food - and deer we hunt in the fall.

We're heading out for fish and chips (across the border) later today. I wonder how much that has gone up since last year. It won't matter. Some traditions just need to be kept.

I get this kind, too. It is expensive, but we found it at Smart and Final on the bottom shelf packaged in twos. Yesterday it was $5.99, but it has been over a dollar less. Either way that is a lot cheaper than the single loaf sitting two shelves higher for $4 something!

Hmmm, I see that S&F is only in CA, NV, and AZ. Maybe there is something with similar deals in other states?

Seasonal produce. Shop strategically and with a solid plan. Instead of going for the most calories for your buck, go for the most nutrition for your buck.

Clearance and expiring merchandise are saving our grocery budget.

Our problem is that we've already been living this way. When prices go up, there isn't any way to be more frugal without just buying/making/eating less.

We're hoping for a good harvest from our garden this year...

A butcher friend of mine (he buys the meat and sells it to the grocery stores) told me last week that they are having to do their orders now for the end of the year and that he expects there to be very little meat available by December. So, eat your meat now and plan for vegetarian meals for the winter because you may not have much of a choice.

A butcher friend of mine (he buys the meat and sells it to the grocery stores) told me last week that they are having to do their orders now for the end of the year and that he expects there to be very little meat available by December. So, eat your meat now and plan for vegetarian meals for the winter because you may not have much of a choice.

Why will there be little meat?

:iagree:Peanut allergies here so we use Sunbutter. It jumped an entire dollar for a small jar since I bought it last month. :confused:

have you looked into getting it on amazon subscribe? Their price is significantly cheaper than the store price here. That's how I've been getting sb.

Why will there be little meat?

Read further up on my post re: Texas drought. It's hitting our food sources in two ways: the hay/grain crop that goes to feed many farms and ranches throughout the U.S.; and the many heads of cattle here who can't be fed, because the grass is all dead, and are being sold and slaughtered early, in mass amounts.

Combine that with the flooding throughout much of "Mississippi States" and other central states, which has hurt the harvest in those places as well.

That spells shortage in the next several months.

The drastic extremes of a record breaking drought, combined with record-breaking flooding in other places, and violent weather patterns this past spring are largely due to the Gulf of Mexico's waters being 2 degrees higher than normal this year, and a lingering La Nina pattern (according to the Weather Channel meteorologists and a few online reports I've read).

In this area, hunting season (deer) starts in Nov. I expect plentiful inexpensive meat in Dec. ;) I think I'll have my guys check on goose season too.

I've been buying more stuff locally. We haven't dealt with any droughts or anything too terrible here in Minnesota (at least, not that I've heard about) so it seems as if the price of things like local free-range beef is staying the same, while the price of the stuff in the grocery stores keeps going up. And believe me, if a pound of groud beef is going to cost me four fifty either way, I'm getting the good stuff.

Vegetables at the farmers market are actually cheaper now than the crap in the grocery stores, too, and between the cost of gas and droughts elsewhere, I'm guessing it's going to stay that way for awhile. So yes, the prices suck, but maybe they'll give a boost to locally grown food and small farmers.

I'm so glad I still have a cow and a pig on the hoof out back.

All of my cows and goats are bred, so I've got milk and cheese covered.

Now I just need to get back to taking care of my garden. I let it suffer this summer, because I was putting that time and energy into making soap. I've got the seeds. I've got the spot. I've got the compost. I just need to go WATER.

I was at the market yesterday, just standing there gasping at the prices. Everything seemed insane to me. I hardly bought anything. My big splurge this summer has been deli cheese for the boys' work lunches. The Provolone was $8!/ lb yesterday! I was able to go by the farm stand near me. I thought those prices were also a bit higher than last year, although I felt better about it and thought it was reasonable. $3 for a basket of organic cherry tomatoes, $2.50 for a large head of beautiful lettuce (cheaper than the market!) etc. My tomatoes are not quite ripe yet, and my lettuce bolted a couple of weeks ago in the heat, even as I picked quickly.

Small favors: the squash borers have left mine alone so far this year!

Edited by LibraryLover

I think more people are starting to do some on their own too because of the prices...they are going to have to start supplementing or finding local farmers to get things from.

I am blessed that we can raise much of what we eat right here on our farm. I don't raise everything all at once, but I do raise many things, just at different times. I do know how to make bread, but there is a time and a season for everything...so I it right now (and other things). I do want to go back to making bread though. It's not hard, just have to plan my day better to make more efficient use of my time.

I also try and make sure I shop only the sales, stocking up when I can on items that are on sale that I use often. I'll forgo something small that I want if there is a great price on something else. Shopping like that has allowed me to have a full pantry and freezer (especially cheese! We love it) and helps me avoid paying higher prices later.

I've been buying more stuff locally. We haven't dealt with any droughts or anything too terrible here in Minnesota (at least, not that I've heard about) so it seems as if the price of things like local free-range beef is staying the same, while the price of the stuff in the grocery stores keeps going up. And believe me, if a pound of groud beef is going to cost me four fifty either way, I'm getting the good stuff.

Same here in Nevada. We've actually had a pretty good year water-wise, and rise in price is largely due to exporting elsewhere. But our prices, even in normal stores, still seem to be a lot lower than many areas. I read a cost comparison thread elseboard, and was shocked by how high prices were in other areas compared to ours.

Velveeta is $5.98 at our WalMart but only $4.99 at the grocery store. Always low prices, my a$$!

I just went grocery shopping today. I was so excited with these low (for us) prices :tongue_smilie:

***butter $3.99 / 500g block (~ 1 lb.)---normally $6.49. I bought 10 blocks to freeze for home baking.

***cheese $9.99 / 1 kg block colby (2.2 lbs)---normally $12.99+++ I bought 2 blocks to grate & freeze.

***beef mince (ground beef) the cheaper mince, not the premium low fat mince $7.99/kg---normally $12.99+/kg. I bought 2 kg to brown & freeze in 1# bags.

I need to get serious about gardening as I refuse to pay $4.49 for one capsicum (bell pepper). Tomatoes are $12.99/kg. Dh is working away from home most of the time & he is learning the hard way why our grocery bills are so high. When he was home last weekend he was telling me that he couldn't justify the price of tomatoes.

Dd shares a flat with 5 other uni students. They don't buy cheese, bread, & much meat as it is too expensive for their budget. They live on pasta, rice, & seasonal veggies that they grow or get from the farmers market. Last year they also used to gather shellfish, but after a bad bout of fish poisoning they have given that a miss.

America is just now coming to see what many people pay just to feed themselves a basic diet (not organic, low fat, etc.)

Edited by Deb in NZ

:lol: Yes, plastic prices are increasing too. So funny.

I have changed some of what I'm buying and where I'm shopping. I have become an Aldi regular and couldn't believe the prices at Walmart the other day. I have also started buying more frozen juice and frozen vegetables (slow process when I love fresh). We already make our own bread and buy 1/2 cow at a time. I've tried Save A Lot and Winn Dixie recently too. Basically, I have to go to more stores and think more creatively than ever.

Edited by BeckyFL

Yes I noticed that yesterday when we went grocery shopping. We buy brick cheese, extra sharp cheddar and mozzarella. We buy it in bulk because we have alteast an hours drive one way to any decent grocery store. For a 32oz brick it was $9.99 :blink: Last time I bought it, it was $6.29... I checked the label again THEN did one of those price scan things. Could not believe it.

We live an hour and a half from Sams Club, but I can not wait to go there again, its much cheaper-- or at least it was :001_huh:

It has jumped in price there also. Still a bit cheaper in the long run, but prices are jumping up and up.