Menu

WOW! increase in price of cheese

Now here in Wyoming we are used to drought and usually manage in the end to get out cattle to market and the few crops we do grow sold. This year we are getting so much moisture it has damaged hay fields buy flooding and such and our crops are not growing like they usually do.

Grocery prices here have been going up quite a bit over the last 4 or so years. A cheap loaf of bread (white off brand, which we don't eat) is $2 a loaf here. For off brand wheat it is $3, now this is just brown colored white bread. IMO If we want a decent loaf of bread it costs about $5 a loaf. Steaks are $9.99-$13 per pound. I did find some ribeyes on sale for $7 a pound the other day. I pay anywhere from $4-6 per pound of ground beef. We have just gotten used to the prices here. Well where I live.

The closest Walmart is over an hour away and the closest Sams is 150 miles. So once I pay for the gas (don't get me started on those prices) and go to the larger stores I end up paying close to what I do in our small town.

I'd only sort of noticed some prices increasing back home in PA. I'm visiting family now in northern NY... we went to the grocery store yesterday. If I had to shop here regularly, our budget would be shot! Most things are at least $1 more expensive and many things higher than that - for the exact same item. There are plenty of Canadian license plates in the parking lot (esp with their dollar higher than ours), so I can only imagine what prices are there.

Meanwhile, I feel fortunate to live in a place where things are grown and the weather has been good. We can mostly avoid thing that have gone up in price (for a while anyway). We can also live off our garden for a good segment of our food - and deer we hunt in the fall.

We're heading out for fish and chips (across the border) later today. I wonder how much that has gone up since last year. It won't matter. Some traditions just need to be kept.

My parents live in W. Texas and even the deer are starving there.

Expect clothing to go up too - the cotton crop is non-existent. The plants didn't even sprout. There is nothing there. I'm very thankful my parents aren't farmers.