Menu

library s/o, Do you expect your children to use quiet voices in the library?

Do you tell them to walk not run? Do you have other general rules that you (not the library) enforce?

I'm alway surprised at how many parents let their kids go bonkers at the library. Are the social rules changing and I'm just behind the times?

I had a toddler who had a very loud whisper.. :tongue_smilie: I totally get that little ones weren't built to be quiet robots. But has the overall "shhhh, you're in the library" thing become passe?

If you let your kids be at the library, what is your thinking behind this? Do you feel that it's their space and they need to feel comfortable in it? Am I crotchety? :D

PS: Stacie, your librarian sounds awful, I'm not implying you let your kids go wild.

Do you expect your children to use quiet voices in the library?

Do you tell them to walk not run? Do you have other general rules that you (not the library) enforce?

ALWAYS.

My children understood from a very young age that they were to be considerate of the other patrons in the library.

They knew that the park was the place to run and yell. Not the library, the grocery store, the post office, etc.

I don't tell them to whisper, but I don't let them scream. My library is not a silent tomb. I tell them a similar message for other indoor public spaces.

That being said, I complained once when a security guard told my kids (playing in normal voice with library toys) to be quiet. The administrator called me to apologize. It turned my kids off the library for a while, and honestly, I rarely take them in my local branch anymore -- just not kid-friendly. I like a separate room for kids where they can be loud without annoying anyone.

We act normal in the library--only walking, only speaking in quiet voices. We rarely chew gum, and never in public.

Raised voices and bouncing around are exceptions allowed for play time and various other activities.

I do not have quiet children, so we practice a lot. ;-)

They are comfortable and love the library. Also, I range from free-spirited to crotchety depending on the person judging me at any given time.

I don't expect them to whisper, but I do expect them to lower their voices, particularly because our children's section is not separated from the rest of the library in anyway. I think I'm the only one left with this expectation though! I've seen people use the children's section as a playground, complete with screaming, tumbling children *sigh*

ALWAYS.

My children understood from a very young age that they were to be considerate of the other patrons in the library.

They knew that the park was the place to run and yell. Not the library, the grocery store, the post office, etc.

:iagree:

Though they don't always remember they know this and I do remind and enforce.

I encourage them to use quiet voices, not a whisper. My DS can be VERY loud when he talks but it's generally not a problem at the library.

They walk, not run in the library. There is a big Eric Carle alphabet rug in the children's area, DS likes to hop from letter to letter, I let him do that as long as he's not in anyone's way.

Our library is NOT quiet in general.

yes, we whisper and don't run. we have a homeschooling acquaintance, though, who lets hers run wild (like playground wild) and actually yells at them herself. my kids are always mortified.

a librarian told me once (when i was whispering helping my 8yo do self check out) that they don't require low voices anymore, but it was full at the time of people reading/studying, and i just think it's a matter of courtesy.

(have you heard of the new banning of children in public restaurants? due to the same lack of common sense courtesy everyone formerly possessed...)

I remind my kids to be quiet and behave appropriately in the library. As we walk through the doors we put our fingers to our lips and go, "Shhh..." to help them remember. I don't make them whisper, necessarily, but I do insist that they speak quietly.

Yes, quiet voices and indoor walking feet. Other people are reading or otherwise trying to concentrate. It is a matter of consideration for others.

That's us. Close conversational tone in the children's room, quieter anywhere else.

I am absolutely disgusted at the way I see some children behave at ours. Thankfully we visit during school hours when it's quieter, but dd was enrolled in a science in the summer class all last week and during class siblings were in the children's area behaving as if it were a park - yelling, running - and parents allowing it!!:confused:

I'm pretty strict with dc 's behavior at the library. I want them to know it's a privilege to have one, and to respect the fact that other people are there and deserve quiet.

Lisa

I'm alway surprised at how many parents let their kids go bonkers at the library. Are the social rules changing and I'm just behind the times?

I had a toddler who had a very loud whisper.. :tongue_smilie: I totally get that little ones weren't built to be quiet robots. But has the overall "shhhh, you're in the library" thing become passe?

If you let your kids be at the library, what is your thinking behind this? Do you feel that it's their space and they need to feel comfortable in it? Am I crotchety? :D

PS: Stacie, your librarian sounds awful, I'm not implying you let your kids go wild.

We use whisper voices and quiet feet. They enjoy the library just as well.

They get excited and shout out, "Hey, Mom. Can we check out this book?" sometimes. I've only had a librarian talk to my dc once, and he deserved it. I had told him just 2 minutes earlier to NOT touch this miniature door (where they store puppets) and he disobeyed. The librarian caught him.:lol: I thanked her for it...though she handled it MUCH more gracefully than the librarian in the other thread...and is always smiling and chatty with the kids to begin with.

I enforce walk/don't run and use of a quiet voice. The two libraries we frequently visit have a children's area that is open, so I feel we should. When my kids were little this was harder, but we always tried. I always came with a list and kept trips short until they could behave. Now that they are 9 and 11 they want to go to the library when it's not story time. It's funny to hear them say, "Those little kids are SO loud!"

I used to be a children's librarian, and I always appreciated parents who supervised their children. We did enforce no running as a safety issue, but tried to be polite about it.

:iagree:

I don't expect them to whisper, but I do expect them to lower their voices, particularly because our children's section is not separated from the rest of the library in anyway. I think I'm the only one left with this expectation though! I've seen people use the children's section as a playground, complete with screaming, tumbling children *sigh*

~Cari

We use quiet/whispering voices and no running. When I was working as a nanny I was bringing my DS(7) along with 4-5 children ages 2-5 to preschool story time.

My DS could go sit and read or play/color during story time. He is old enough that he can be unsupervised in the children's area. Some days he'd have his school work and would go find a table and work.

I worked really hard on having all the little kids learn to use quiet indoor voices and no running in the library. The had a hard time with it (foster kids with lots of issues anyways) but they were still better behaved them some others.

Story time REALLY surprised me. I was amazed how many parents let their children climb all over the stage (that was not in use, but the librarian was sitting right in front of) and play with the stereo system. I understand some little ones not sitting for 30-45 minutes to listen to books and sing songs (it was for preschoolers but there were many toddlers/infants too). But if I had a little one that couldn't sit and listen, I'd have them in the back being quiet while older child listened. But even the poorly behaved 2 yr olds I watched could and would sit and listen to the books and then get up and sing/dance. The librarian even had to stop her story on occasion to get parents to get their children, which only worked for about 2 minutes!

I expect my four year old to be civilised. I expect my 2 year old to be horrible, so he only goes in with his father, who is half deaf and seems not to have realised how embarrassed I am when I know they've entered, even though I'm at the other end of the building and haven't seen them. Perhaps he doesn't know I can do that and I should tell him. :001_huh: On the plus side, no one seems to mind a whole lot about shrieking toddlers. At least it doesn't bother them enough to hurry up at the checkout so an obviously embarrassed mother can get out of there!

Rosie

Our library's childrens area is set up like a kids play zone, complete with climbing structure, play house, computers, and building toys. It is the biggest hangout for parents of young children in our city and is designed for playing like kids play. So no, I do not set a 'whisper in the library' rule there - it would be like telling a chlid in the McDonald's play land "Only quiet voices."

If I take the kids into the upstairs adult section? Yes, we talk and I enforce whispering/quiet voices because that is a quiet environment.

I always require walking, not running, in the library or any other place in which running is inappropriate. It's not a gymnasium, it's a library.

I do not require whispering in the children's room because it is a seperate room that is down the hall and closed off from the rest of the library. I expect them to use normal speaking voices though, no yelling or being too loud.

In the adult section of the library, yes, we use whispers only.

Yes, I teach all of mine walking, quiet voices and the like.

But honestly I think times are changing. Our library anymore resembles more of a community center than the quiet I knew as a child - concerts, lectures, magicians, storytimes, yoga. And it is one room, one floor, small, not separate areas so every single person in the library could hear whatever is happening in any other area. So maybe it is me that is out of date!

Our library's childrens area is set up like a kids play zone, complete with climbing structure, play house, computers, and building toys. It is the biggest hangout for parents of young children in our city and is designed for playing like kids play. So no, I do not set a 'whisper in the library' rule there - it would be like telling a chlid in the McDonald's play land "Only quiet voices."

If I take the kids into the upstairs adult section? Yes, we talk and I enforce whispering/quiet voices because that is a quiet environment.

Hmm... I really want to dislike the idea of play zones at the library.

What's your thoughts on it?

When we go, yes. It's the same library I used as a child (oh, the fond memories I have of the card file which is now, to my sorrow, obsolete), but we don't spend the kind of quality time there that I enjoyed. I pretty much order everything online so we're only there for pickups and drop offs.

Yes. My children are expected to speak quietly (not to whisper, though, but a reasonable indoor voice) and to walk, not run in the library. They are also expected to neatly stack books on the table or book return cart after they take them off the shelf, return the games and puppets to the proper spot, and put away one toy before they choose another to play with. Most children in our community libraries are quiet, but I often find myself picking up the quiet play area because the games and puppets and books are scattered all over the floor.

I do not mind the librarian quietly and kindly correcting my children, and she has done so two or three times. My boys are not quiet by nature, and it takes some training and reminders. I have always backed up the librarian. I also understand that not all parents feel the need to correct their darling children's natural impulses, so librarians may feel they need to step in. In regard to the other thread, I would absolutely take exception to a librarian yelling or being rude, and particularly to him or her trying to justify doing so. That's not appropriate or professional.

Cat

I have always expected them to use quiet voices and to walk inside anywhere.

Since I start nagging them at about age 2, it appears that sometime in their teen years they manage to actually limit such urges to when I am not around.:glare::lol:

I have always expected them to use quiet voices and to walk inside anywhere.

Since I start nagging them at about age 2, it appears that sometime in their teen years they manage to actually limit such urges to when I am not around.:glare::lol:

:lol:

I probably should have been clear that in my post, "ALWAYS," refers to my expectation, not so much their compliance. ;)

Yes I teach my children quiet voices, not whispers though and walking feet only. We have run into an issue with the quiet voices in that I have been having issues hearing things unless I focus my full attention on it and sometimes even then struggle, so if they are too quiet I have to ask them to repeat themselves a lot. And ds7 seems unable to lower his voice at all, we practice at home, but he is just loud all the time(even as he is falling asleep and talking to himself-I can hear him in the next room). It is a work in progress but it is still an expectation I have of them.

I expect walking no running. Running isn't a problem, but he's a bouncy kid so think Tigger with his tail tied around the rock to weight down his bouncing. And I expect him to be quiet. Talking quietly to me in the stacks, whispering to me if we are sitting at the computer table with others there also.

We were there once during a kid's program. The kids all went into a seperate, closed off room. Never heard them. Of course you couldn't really hear anything over the MOMS! And then the librarians were trying to talk over the moms. We finally had to pick up our stuff and go downstairs because we couldn't work it was so loud.

I actually spoke to day manager about it. I asked him if the 'quiet in the library policy' just doesn't exist anymore. When he said yes it does (and is in use downstairs in the adult section) I told him how it was upstairs and how kids aren't going to know they are supposed to be quiet if SOMEONE doesn't tell them. He agreed and agreed they needed to start with the moms. He planned on speaking to the librarian upstairs as well. She is a very nice woman, but she is just louder, (she'd be one of those loud whisper types) and instead of reminding the mothers to be quiet she was trying to talk over them.

I think a lot of the problem does come from the 'community center' feel that libraries tend to have now. That and a lot of people 30ish and under don't seem to KNOW that it is supposed to be quiet in the library. I'm thinking no one ever told told them, and it's just not getting enforced.

I have really good kids and they complimented all the time on their behavior. They are wonderful in the library, quiet voices and very respectful of the other patrons. No running.

I know this is not the case with everyone, though, and believe me, when I see a mom with a few kids loosing it, I smile and tell her I remember those days.

ALWAYS.

Absolutely . Oddly enough control in those places leads to control of impulsive behaviour in other areas such as in conversation, at formal occasions etc. At home we permit guitar music loud enough to shake the walls but not during the day when clients are being seen.:lol:

At home we permit guitar music loud enough to shake the walls but not during the day when clients are being seen.:lol:

Around here it is drumming in the detached office. But only before the neighbors retire to their decks and patios for a quiet dinner. :)

In the library: walk, don't run. Whisper. Use soft words. If you cry, we go out to talk about it.

The librarians at my favorite library always stop me to thank me for saying this to my kids. Which is funny in a way, because I finally have the kid who's HARD to keep quiet/walking in the library. But I guess the fact that I correct it makes them happy.

The oldest 2 were always sweet & quiet at the library, but no one said anything. Although, come to think of it, I usually went w/ a friend. Whose kids were not sweet & quiet (think running across table tops). And actually, her kids were blonde (like me) & mine were dark-headed (like her). Huh.

I taught mine from the beginning that you use your quiet inside voice in the library. No running or jumping around. That kind of behavior is for the park. The children's room in our library is a bit more boisterous then the main library but our librarians genuinely love the kids and would rather see excited kids then no kids.

I am fine with shushing in the library. However, it seems that as soon as they introduced the toys it really is a lost cause. Our kid section is more like an indoor play place. They did separate it from the adult section by a floor. So first floor has teens, kids, computer bay, info desk, movies/CD's. Serious library users go upstairs. My #1 rule for my little kiddos is Don't Go Upstairs!!

We are quiet in libraries (and bookstores.) We don't even really whisper, unless we absolutely have to.

A loud child was immediately removed, and there were consequences. I didn't just try to hurry, or beg and plead with said child while everyone else suffered around me.

I'm sad to say that some homeschoolers are no better. We had our homeschool group asked to leave the library because kids/teens were being disruptive. :glare:

I don't let my dc run in any public place (except the park or jogging/biking path.) I've been run into by too many rude running children. Like a pp said, the park and our backyard are for running and playing. We have different expectations based on what is appropriate to the place. I've not had to tell a child to stop running since they were about three years old, though. They learn quickly when they understand the reasons.

We also use all of our manners in restaurants, including actually speaking to the waitress like they are a person and not getting up from our chairs.

Yes, I absolutely expect them to behave at the library, which for us means quiet conversational voices and quiet feet, and everywhere else, too. It doesn't always happen, especially with a 3 y.o. and a 4 y.o. with SPD as part of the mix, but if they're behavior isn't what it should be, I correct it, which means that these days, I rarely have a problem.;)

Our library is fairly proactive when dealing with unruly children--there are rules about no unattended children under 12, for instance, and computer use is timed, supervised, and headphones are required.

We are churchmice in the main floor of the library. In the children's wing upstairs I allow my children to talk with normal voices. They don't shout, but they aren't whispering either. My two year old doesn't really walk. She's not running, but what she is doing isn't sedate either. We're working on it.

My children don't run wild. They are very enthusiastic about books though. My husband and I take the children together, and he will go out to the car with anyone misbehaving. We are usually the only ones in there, but if there are other people we try to get in and out quickly and quietly.

The librarians are always very warm toward my children, but that might be because we take out so many books.

No one whispers in our libraries. Even librarians talk in normal voices. We do try to keep normal-to-low voices though. This is hard for DS because his normal voice is rather loud. I kinda miss the whole whisper thing.

Our library has a "quiet room" with a door for anyone who needs to read/study in quiet.